As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Iblis wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I'd rather Shantae than Shovel Knight. Her move set would bring a different fighting style as I feel shovel knight would work similarly to the other swordy types.

Hard to say, Rivals of Aether is an indie Smash-like and it has Shovel Knight as DLC and managed to make him feel fairly unique. He has a gimmick where he beats treasure out of opponents and can summon Chester to buy power ups and new moves.

Thaaat… sounds like Hero, but even moreso. Not sure if that’s a good thing or not.

Nah, he just has three different relics he can purchase to replace his neutral special (which normally sucks in treasure) and three suits of armor that alter his properties slightly (one lets him do a down smash in air after hitting with his down air, another makes him take less knockback but he becomes harder to control, and the third... is his expensive gold armor that's just for show). So you can save up and buy one of each, or swap out if you want mid-match.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    OK that all seems more reasonable but still, how does the shop not interrupt the flow?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Chester and his menu pop up quick. He needs to create space to pull it off, but no more so than, say, Hero needs to peruse his spell menu, or Samus needs to charge her charge beam.

Enlong on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I'm a lil' biased, cause I like his gameplay more in DMC5 anyway, but I think Nero would make a better rep than Dante. At the least, it's easy to translate his moveset over - some sword combos, a chargeable projectile, a grapple, and his unique gimmick being the rev mechanic, time your hit properly and the sword lights on fire for extra damage. If they're feeling fancy, some of his Devil Breaker options as a rotating special.

Dante needs so much available to him to feel like Dante. If he doesn't have style switching and a wide assortment of weaponry, it's not gonna feel representative of the character. At least, not to the crazy extent that Smash tends to go for. Nero can feel like Nero in Smash, I don't think Dante can feel like Dante.

Oh brilliant
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I think they could fit in style switching easy. Make his B moves a selection of weapons. He doesnt need to punch so make ebony, ivory, and rebellion his A attacks. Make neutral B style swap

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Crash Bandicoot would be hilarious after the Sony Smash Bros. fiasco.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    B: Style Switch (Trickster/Swordmaster/Gunslinger/Royalguard)

Down B: Air Trick (counter move that pops him behind and above you) / Ice Age / Red Hot Night / Guard

Side B: Dash / Danse Macabre / Gun Stinger / (Royal) Release

Up B: Air Star / Full Throttle / Grapple / Guard Flying

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    B: Style Switch (Trickster/Swordmaster/Gunslinger/Royalguard)

Down B: Air Trick (counter move that pops him behind and above you) / Ice Age / Red Hot Night / Guard

Side B: Dash / Danse Macabre / Gun Stinger / (Royal) Release

Up B: Air Star / Full Throttle / Grapple / Guard Flying

If you put style switching on the taunt buttons you could use neutral B for Prop Shredder and Fireworks.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Oh my god another fucking Fire Emblem character?

Multi-weapons and female swaps is cool, but god damn THERE'S SO MANY FE CHARACTERS IN SMASH ALREADY

KoopahTroopah on
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    I still don't like the FE series.

*extended fart noise*

At least Sakurai's being extra funny this time.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    And here I was expecting the salt to be along the lines of it not being Edelgard, and not FE in general. :)

Whatever. This is pretty great.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited January 2020
    I mean, I love Sakurai and he puts so much enthusiasm in all of these videos. So I'm stoked he's happy.

...but god damn, I feel disappointed. This is the EIGTH Fire Emblem character in SSBU.

Edit - Kit seems cool.

KoopahTroopah on
    To be fair there is no other character available that brandishes a sword and then a bunch of weapons on top of it that would generate more hype than Byleth.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I have a feeling that with the dlc, Nintendo gave Sakurai one pick for himself. This is it and it is obvious how much he absolutely loves the Fire Emblem series. Not my cup of tea, but it still is another fighter and the different weapon gimmick seems neat.

All in all, I'm not unhappy with the fighter pass. It gave us Banjo, and Terry and Joker are characters I didn't know much about that turned out to be more fun than I would have thought. The only dud for me is the Hero.

We still have more fighters coming too. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    I have a feeling that with the dlc, Nintendo gave Sakurai one pick for himself. This is it and it is obvious how much he absolutely loves the Fire Emblem series. Not my cup of tea, but it still is another fighter and the different weapon gimmick seems neat.

All in all, I'm not unhappy with the fighter pass. It gave us Banjo, and Terry and Joker are characters I didn't know much about that turned out to be more fun than I would have thought. The only dud for me is the Hero.

We still have more fighters coming too. :D

Some of them better be female. Kazooie and girl-Byleth sort of count, yes.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    GATEKEEPER CONFIRMED

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Lmao this sucks man

Sakurai is a treasure. I love this man.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Well I'm hyped for Byleth. Sakurai being a huge fucking nerd to keep the direct entertaining is a bonus.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
    Oh wow, Cuphead skin for Gunner. That's rad.

Cuphead costume with music! Nice.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    The Cuphead Mii is pretty great

Fuck both those miibo look gooooood

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Would rather most of the new mii costumes be full fledged fighters instead.

6 more fighters! Sweet!

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    Yeah disappointed, but cool that there are six more coming. I'm all in on that fighter pass. Byleth seems like it'll be annoying to play against. Totally getting that Cuphead costume.

...huh, no more Amiibo announced. While it's certainly possible production of DLC Amiibo was delayed to prevent leaks (toys take much longer to design and produce than you'd think), I guess we shouldn't count on any more coming out. Toys-to-life is thoroughly dead aside from Amiibo, after all.

The internet is having a meltdown lol.

I'm just happy that it wasn't rumored Dante. Yes, I would even rather have a Fire Emblem character than Dante. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    That was the least hype I've ever gotten about a Smash Character lol

I'm just happy Sakurai is putting a character he likes.

We all know he's going to die developing Smash characters, he deserves getting to put a character in every once in a while that he really cares about. :)

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    Ok but man, Byleth’s kit is kind of exactly what I’ve been asking for with FE characters since Ike?

There’s more in FE than lords with swords. There’s magic, and weird shapeshifters, and other weapons (it’s a whole thing with the 3 types). and the last 3 characters it’s got have shown that off:

* Robin uses the magic tomes of the four main elements
    * Corrin turns into a dragon
    * Byleth uses spear, axe, and bow

Like, finally, acknowledgement that the other martial weapon types exist and are important!

That’s probably enough FE for a while, but I can’t be disappointed with getting basically exactly what I’ve been asking for.

I mean, putting aside the fact that there's too goddamn many Fire Emblem characters, Byleth is really well-designed. The stage is nifty too.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The weapon handling is pretty cool, because if you watched it, they're not actually "just another sword user". They're using all 4 hero weapons from the game.

-All up attack are the lance.
    -All down attacks are the axe.
    -All side attacks are the sword.
    -All neutral attacks are the bow.

That's a shockingly clever twist. And a deep reference to the weapon tree in Three Houses, where everybody can use every weapon type now too.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    The sword whip also hogs the tilt attacks and jab, but otherwise the direction thing holds.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I'm just happy Sakurai is putting a character he likes.

We all know he's going to die developing Smash characters, he deserves getting to put a character in every once in a while that he really cares about. :)

Did you miss the SNK direct?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Obvious comment is obvious, but it's a little odd we're getting some random Ubisoft costumes. Of course there's nothing preventing Nintendo from reaching out to companies for minor stuff in Smash (Rayman was just a trophy in Smash 4), but maybe this is a sign Rayman is coming as a fighter?