As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    It just doesn't seem advisable to make your last DLC pack character a fire emblem char when you have a bajillion fire emblem chars already.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    The Mii Fighter costumes are more exciting than the actual character reveal

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I'm just happy Sakurai is putting a character he likes.

We all know he's going to die developing Smash characters, he deserves getting to put a character in every once in a while that he really cares about. :)

Did you miss the SNK direct?

Nope. He apparently loves SNK, but I have a feeling that decision was a Nintendo one since he said these dlc fighters were all picked by Nintendo. The Fire Emblem one I have a feeling was his pick.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Ok but man, Byleth’s kit is kind of exactly what I’ve been asking for with FE characters since Ike?

There’s more in FE than lords with swords. There’s magic, and weird shapeshifters, and other weapons (it’s a whole thing with the 3 types). and the last 3 characters it’s got have shown that off:

* Robin uses the magic tomes of the four main elements
    * Corrin turns into a dragon
    * Byleth uses spear, axe, and bow

Like, finally, acknowledgement that the other martial weapon types exist and are important!

That’s probably enough FE for a while, but I can’t be disappointed with getting basically exactly what I’ve been asking for.

Honestly, if you let me choose, I'd straight up keep all the weirdos but chuck out Marth, Roy, and Chrom. Look, Lucina is already A Marth but she's also from a game people actually played and liked. We don't need Marth and Roy on top, and Chrom is like some kind of Marth+Ike hybrid thing that is better than the originals and neeehhhh.

Like, Lucina for the Lord rep, Robin for the wizards, Corrin as a weirdo, Ike for heavy weapons guy, and Byleth for the weapon triangle. That's a good set of distinguishable characters that don't feel redundant.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I dunno. The cooler ones are Gunners, but I can’t swap my gunner from Sans Sheriff.

I will buy Cuphead to get Floral Fury, tho.

Enlong on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Not surprised or disappointed about another anime sword person/Fire Emblem character, but glad I didn't wake up early to watch the announcement.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited January 2020
    Drascin wrote: »
    Ok but man, Byleth’s kit is kind of exactly what I’ve been asking for with FE characters since Ike?

There’s more in FE than lords with swords. There’s magic, and weird shapeshifters, and other weapons (it’s a whole thing with the 3 types). and the last 3 characters it’s got have shown that off:

Like, finally, acknowledgement that the other martial weapon types exist and are important!

That’s probably enough FE for a while, but I can’t be disappointed with getting basically exactly what I’ve been asking for.

Honestly, if you let me choose, I'd straight up keep all the weirdos but chuck out Marth, Roy, and Chrom. Look, Lucina is already A Marth but she's also from a game people actually played and liked. We don't need Marth and Roy on top, and Chrom is like some kind of Marth+Ike hybrid thing that is better than the originals and neeehhhh.

Like, Lucina for the Lord rep, Robin for the wizards, Corrin as a weirdo, Ike for heavy weapons guy, and Byleth for the weapon triangle. That's a good set of distinguishable characters that don't feel redundant.

Much as I like Awakening, there’s no way they’d chuck Marth. That’d be like scrapping Mario in favor of Doctor Mario. Or dropping Ryu to keep Ken. For better or worse, you just don’t junk the First Main Character in a crossover thing like this.

More likely would be scrapping Marth’s sword tip mechanic and making Lucina fully a costume, but at that point you’d get the same effect just using the option to collapse Echo Fighters together with the original on the character select screen.

Enlong on
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

Much as I like Awakening, there’s no way they’d chuck Marth. That’d be like scrapping Mario in favor of Doctor Mario. For better or worse, you just don’t junk the First Main Character in a crossover thing like this.

More likely would be scrapping Marth’s sword tip mechanic and making Lucina fully a costume, but at that point you’d get the same effect just using the option to collapse Echo Fighters together with the original on the character select screen.

Yes, I know they'd never do it because it's crossover law, I'm saying that the fact they'll never do it is dumb. Nobody gives a shit about Marth, at this point having him there is like having Ninten instead of Ness because Ninten came first.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It just doesn't seem advisable to make your last DLC pack character a fire emblem char when you have a bajillion fire emblem chars already.

Another pokemon character it is then. :)

Not to pick on you, but it is kind of a weird metric to use. People keep wanting Waluigi, but there are technically a bajillion Mario characters.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020

Another pokemon character it is then. :)

Not to pick on you, but it is kind of a weird metric to use. People keep wanting Waluigi, but there are technically a bajillion Mario characters.

The Pokemon don't all look identical to the casual observer.

I didnt say it had to be a Pokemon character either, anyway.

Plenty of very worthy franchises out there that need Smash representation, but no let's just do something we already have a ton of. How boring.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.

Much as I like Awakening, there’s no way they’d chuck Marth. That’d be like scrapping Mario in favor of Doctor Mario. Or dropping Ryu to keep Ken. For better or worse, you just don’t junk the First Main Character in a crossover thing like this.

I was one of those really happy Lucina was added, not because I was excited for a Marth clone, but mainly because I just love her character from Awakening.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, at this point I wouldn't be shocked if we got another Pokemon in the upcoming pack.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Why was it “Smash Bros X Altaïr” and not “Smash Bros X Assassin’s Creed”?

I would actually love if they added Sword/Shield's trainer with Sobble, Thwackey, and Cinderace.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Why was it “Smash Bros X Altaïr” and not “Smash Bros X Assassin’s Creed”?

I wonder if it was that nonsense Japanese rating board again

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    *excitedly comes in thread to find out what the new SSBU character is*

*sees it's another anime sword person, tosses up hands*

Technically he’s an anime whipsword/spear/axe/bow person.

I found it funny that Sothis was all “OK, I don’t think the power of waifu is strong enough to get away with a basic sword moveset this time. I guess we’ll acknowledge the other weapon types, just this once.”

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I was hoping for someone who played differently than "like Marth but"

edited January 2020

Well, good news, Byleth doesn’t share one move with Marth that I could see. Well, the forward Smash can be angled similarly to Marth’s, but a bunch of other characters can do that, and I wouldn’t call Shulk a Marth clone.

He’s got a tether recovery, his side B is a weird dashing sweep, and he’s got a bow that works as a kill move when fully charged.

And no, he doesn’t have a counter Down B. It’s a big axe slam that functions more like Warlock Punch or something.

————

The trailer actually uses its first half to make Byleth look like he’s just going to be a Marth-like, as a joke about previous characters they’ve made. And then they reveal how she actually plays.

Which strikes me as playing with fire.

Enlong on
    edited January 2020

Well, good news, Byleth doesn’t share one move with Marth that I could see. Well, the forward Smash can be angled similarly to Marth’s, but a bunch of other characters can do that, and I wouldn’t call Shulk a Marth clone.

He’s got a tether recovery, his side B is a weird dashing sweep, and he’s got a bow that works as a kill move when fully charged.

And no, he doesn’t have a counter Down B. It’s a big axe slam that functions more like Warlock Punch or something.

Oo, longer reach than Simon with the forward but with better recovery and long range kills with the bow.

Good to know they trashed 2 characters for one anime waifu.

jungleroomx on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Oo, longer reach than Simon with the forward but with better recovery and long range kills with the bow.

Thw recovery looks awful. Even Simon gets decent air with his .

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.

Thw recovery looks awful. Even Simon gets decent air with his .

Simons recovery is not good. One of the worst in the game.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I'm just happy Sakurai is putting a character he likes.

We all know he's going to die developing Smash characters, he deserves getting to put a character in every once in a while that he really cares about. :)

Did you miss the SNK direct?

Nope. He apparently loves SNK, but I have a feeling that decision was a Nintendo one since he said these dlc fighters were all picked by Nintendo. The Fire Emblem one I have a feeling was his pick.

what... does this sentence mean

they were all picked by Nintendo, but he still picked one? if they were all picked by Nintendo how would you differentiate?

the terrible cinematic and the fact that it's not a same-day drop make me feel like Byleth's inclusion was like peak Order From Corporate

anyway, they look fun and I want to play them

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Looks like I picked a good time to pick up Palutena

Yes, Byleth is weak to counters and reflectors if they commit too hard to the axe and bow to kill. Since neither can be stopped once started.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Yes, Byleth is weak to counters and reflectors if they commit too hard to the axe and bow to kill. Since neither can be stopped once started.

didn't he say the bow can be shield cancelled?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    As I was getting used to playing with Palutena, I had a corker of a match last night where I was just countering everything this Marth had and they voluntarily walked themselves off the stage to end the match.

I can only hope I do this to one of the inevitable glut of Byleth players that will exist on the 28th.

Did he? I thought he said that you can’t do anything once you start it, so you need to play carefully around reflectors.

Did he? I thought he said that you can’t do anything once you start it, so you need to play carefully around reflectors.

There are 2 charge levels. Level 1 can be canceled, but you're locked in if you go for level 2.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."

Look, if you’re mad about the FE ovsrsaturaton and the art style, that’s fine. You can just lead with that and I’ll not argue, because it’s a valid point. The point I’m arguing against is the notion that he’s Marth Again from a moveset standpoint, not his relative power in relation to the Belmonts. Because that sounded like the main gripe from the first post there.

There are 2 charge levels. Level 1 can be canceled, but you're locked in if you go for level 2.

Mm. I see. And the second level is the one with kill power, so it’s a big risk if you try for it.

oooooh I missed this

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    As I was getting used to playing with Palutena, I had a corker of a match last night where I was just countering everything this Marth had and they voluntarily walked themselves off the stage to end the match.

I can only hope I do this to one of the inevitable glut of Byleth players that will exist on the 28th.

Oh for sure. I can just see people trying to score easy kills with the axe or bow, not realizing it’s like doing a raw Falcon Punch.

Like people who try to kill everyone with stage spikes using K Rool’s gun. You can’t do that to someone who knows your plan.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah to be clear, 100% fine with the kit. It looks great. 100% disappointed with eighth FE character because it's not new representation or particularly interesting to me.

I will for sure still try him.

Look, if you’re mad about the FE ovsrsaturaton and the art style, that’s fine. You can just lead with that and I’ll not argue, because it’s a valid point. The point I’m arguing against is the notion that he’s Marth Again from a moveset standpoint, not his relative power in relation to the Belmonts. Because that sounded like the main gripe from the first post there.

I'd say Marth+ from what I saw in the video, minus the quick combos (which I assume there will be the standard meatgrinder neutral) it looks like a single shot heavy hit version of every other FE moveset.

I didn't see the up special, but I assume it's a shoryuken-like?

The whole argument seems to be getting dangerously close to "No more bipedal humanoids wielding some sort of melee based weaponry". It's always going to be a common and easy choice to implement into a fighting game. They can't all be like the Daytona Car from Fighters Megamix.

The whole argument seems to be getting dangerously close to "No more bipedal humanoids wielding some sort of melee based weaponry". It's always going to be a common and easy choice to implement into a fighting game. They can't all be like the Daytona Car from Fighters Megamix.

tbh I'd be okay if, in the next 6, there was not a single bipedal humanoid wielding some sort of melee based weaponry.

edited January 2020

tbh I'd be okay if, in the next 6, there was not a single bipedal humanoid wielding some sort of melee based weaponry.

How about a quadruped with melee based weaponry?

Give me Amaterasu

I'd say Marth+ from what I saw in the video, minus the quick combos (which I assume there will be the standard meatgrinder neutral) it looks like a single shot heavy hit version of every other FE moveset.

I didn't see the up special, but I assume it's a shoryuken-like?

Up special is most similar to Joker’s up special without Arsene. The whip sword goes up and grapples an opponent or the ledge. In the case of grappling an opponent, Byleth jumps off and can use the up special again. It sends opponents up at low percents, and down at higher percents. The move doesn’t have any vertical pop by itself; it’s a pure tether recovery.

Honestly, it looks like the weakest link in Byleth’s kit, to me. Even if the whip goes far, that’s an awfully linear and predictable recovery strategy.

Enlong on
    edited January 2020
    Dude, Amaterasu would be amazing.

And yeah, I'm getting used to zipline recovery (one of the guys in the office here is a Joker main) and ways to combat it.

Since both of my mains have excellent recovery I've taken to harrassing the shit out of him.

jungleroomx on