As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    I feel that the odds of Zagreus have increased from 0% to an infinitesimally small percent.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Well... I feel like that tosses out a bunch of my guesses. Everyone knows Sora, Crash, or Sub Zero/Scorpion.

... Maybe someone from Soul Calibur? Or another prominent fighter that might not be the flagship.

Soul calibre with no female character reps because of Japan's shitty rating stuff would be odd

Street Fighter

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Well... I feel like that tosses out a bunch of my guesses. Everyone knows Sora, Crash, or Sub Zero/Scorpion.

... Maybe someone from Soul Calibur? Or another prominent fighter that might not be the flagship.

Believe when I say a lot of people don't know those three. Mortal Kombat has kind of been past its prime and nearly out of the general gaming consciousness for over a decade now, I'm pretty sure, for example.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    MK 11 has been huge for a while now? Like all the WB guest characters have made it pretty hype

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I think the tweet makes any guesses for franchises that are not popular in Japan slightly more likely

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    MK 11 has been huge for a while now? Like all the WB guest characters have made it pretty hype

Oh yeah, it was the fifth best-selling game of 2019 and kept on selling beyond that -- it was the fifth best-selling game of May 2020, to give one example. It also got a movie this year.

Granted Mortal Kombat has never been popular in Japan, but if Nintendo's got an eye on a global audience, it's a solid pick.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    We got one day left on predictions, so get them in. Please note that you get one guess, so I am going assume ambiguous posts like “I think X or Y will make it” aren’t serious entries.

Waddle Dee.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I guess I'll just throw out Sol Badguy as a guess. (I'd say Ragna because anime sword guy, but GG has the more recent release)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Polaritie wrote: »
    I guess I'll just throw out Sol Badguy as a guess. (I'd say Ragna because anime sword guy, but GG has the more recent release)

But there are plenty of people who may not know him. And he might be different from some peoples' guesses.

edit:

Anyway, I'm sticking with Ring Fit Hero.

Enlong on
  • Options
    The amusing thing though is I could get really meta with a Ragna guess.
    Central fiction ending spoilers:
    Because he basically saves the world at the cost of erasing his own existence - there's basically a single person who remembers him still.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    My dream would be Tryclyde from SMB2.

• Options
    MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    Throwing out my previous guess and going for a hail Mary geno guess.

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Still pulling for Ray Man. Now prepared for it to be anything from Doomguy to the Little d Dog from Nethack.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    To be honest, I don't care who it is in the end. The game has more than enough fighters I like to use that it could be a Madden Football Guy and I'd just shrug and go 'eh.'
    Seriously, it was a joke, please don't be a Madden Football Guy.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Ah, that reminds me when EA briefly got the Marvel fighting game license, but for whatever reason wanted to make it a Marvel vs. game instead of, y'know, just characters people would recognize. Since EA didn't have any long-term recognizable characters at that point besides Football Guy and Car, they decided to create a bunch of random new super-powered people that would totally be integrated into Marvel comics as a whole (they never, ever were).

In other words, Johnny Ohm for Smash.

Edit: crap, Johnny Ohm's so old and forgotten I can't get any links to work. Ah well, you can (barely) find him on Google.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Bold of them to build anticipation like this when they know how cranky we can be over reveals.

HANAFUDA SHUFFLE IN!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    It has been joked about previously, but the Tetromino coming in wouldn't even be the most insane thing Nintendo has done this year.

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »
    It has been joked about previously, but the Tetromino coming in wouldn't even be the most insane thing Nintendo has done this year.

I would play the shit out of a Tetromino fighter

• Options
    Tetromino is low tier; can’t get the long piece smash when you need it

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The Daytona car from Fighting Vipers.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

I like the idea of Tee, from Puyo Puyo Tetris, being a character to represent Tetris. Being the Tetris King and all. The attacks would almost all be various Tetriminos, but Tee would give Tetris a character to act as the source of their attacks. I could see him having a smash attack that's just, hard-dropping a square onto the opponent.

Alternatively, Arle from Puyo Puyo would be another puzzle game character that would be neat. The Puyos themselves would be part of the character. But Arle was originally an RPG character, and has legit magic spells that she could use (they're her combo names in the Puyo games).

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Oh yeah, it was the fifth best-selling game of 2019 and kept on selling beyond that -- it was the fifth best-selling game of May 2020, to give one example. It also got a movie this year.

Granted Mortal Kombat has never been popular in Japan, but if Nintendo's got an eye on a global audience, it's a solid pick.

MK11 is also the best selling Mortal Kombat title of all time. Arguably the franchise has never been stronger.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    CellorifficCelloriffic Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    We got one day left on predictions, so get them in. Please note that you get one guess, so I am going assume ambiguous posts like “I think X or Y will make it” aren’t serious entries.

Guybrush Threepwood.

He is a sword fighter, after all...

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm guessing Chase McCain from Lego City Undercover.

Or Travis Touchdown.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Now, for someone I know it won't be: Kalas, for more Monolith reps.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    I'm guessing Chase McCain from Lego City Undercover.

Or Travis Touchdown.

I would totally be up for Chase...

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Oh yeah, this comes out tomorrow. I thought it was later, but then Nintendo was like 'Nah you ain't releasing a new game for free.' and kinda overshadowed the release hype.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA39bbw3j78

Oblina and Reptar look great, so I'm probably in. Maybe Shredder will be an unlock?

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I don't have any guesses, I just think that the fact that it is the "final" character matters more to fans than it does to Nintendo, and there isn't a ton of reasons to expect it to be something profound or mindblowing. It's not to say that the character packs haven't had some surprises, but I think Sephiroth kinda threw everyones expectations way out of whack.

And I doubt Sakurai's tweet was only aimed at Japanese players. It feels like there's a lot reading into it to take it that way or interpret it to imply that it will likely be a more western character. I mean, it may or may not be, I have no idea, I just don't think that was implied in the tweet necessarily. If anything it sounded more like a request to just chill the fuck out no matter who it is. It's also hard to not get a bit conspiracy minded and think that the reason they made the announcement its own thing and not in the Direct last week, is that they wanted the Direct to be its own thing and not have the SSBU announcement overshadow whole ass games. :lol:

There is literally no character that could be picked that isn't going to leave a large amount of players disappointed.

I'm less concerned about who it ends up being, than I am knowing how fans can be sometimes, and waking up to see certain portions of the internet furious and massively downvoted videos for it because for whatever reason there's always too much hype around anything Nintendo does, no matter how many times it happens, it just keeps happening. :rotate:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    The final character is Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl! Your attacks challenge the character to a match, and if you win, massive damage!

Matches now take two hours

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I don't have any guesses, I just think that the fact that it is the "final" character matters more to fans than it does to Nintendo, and there isn't a ton of reasons to expect it to be something profound or mindblowing. It's not to say that the character packs haven't had some surprises, but I think Sephiroth kinda threw everyones expectations way out of whack.

And I doubt Sakurai's tweet was only aimed at Japanese players. It feels like there's a lot reading into it to take it that way or interpret it to imply that it will likely be a more western character. I mean, it may or may not be, I have no idea, I just don't think that was implied in the tweet necessarily. If anything it sounded more like a request to just chill the fuck out no matter who it is. It's also hard to not get a bit conspiracy minded and think that the reason they made the announcement its own thing and not in the Direct last week, is that they wanted the Direct to be its own thing and not have the SSBU announcement overshadow whole ass games. :lol:

There is literally no character that could be picked that isn't going to leave a large amount of players disappointed.

I'm less concerned about who it ends up being, than I am knowing how fans can be sometimes, and waking up to see certain portions of the internet furious and massively downvoted videos for it because for whatever reason there's always too much hype around anything Nintendo does, no matter how many times it happens, it just keeps happening. :rotate:

In a Surprise twist the final character is Jace Beleren.

Literally everyone is angry.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I was unware until a few minutes ago that Zagreus was one of the rumors to be the final character (edit: i'm sure with absolutely nothing to base it on, but such are rumors), so I take back a lot of what I said earlier. :lol:

That's who I want.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Bad Mr Frosty

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I've been watching this playlist of all the Smash trailers as a sort of pre-hyping, and 1) oh my god, there's like an hour or more of this stuff, and 2) I know "Mario dies" has been the running gag of the Smash Ultimate trailer series, but honestly, he manages to job it in like half of the Smash 4 trailers too. :lol:

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Potential spoilers spotted outside the Universal Studios Nintendo building:

I must admit, from a Nintendo corporate standpoint that would make a ludicrous amount of sense even while the angry tears of committed Smash fans would drown the world.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    does fortnite even have like, specific original character designs anyone knows

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    does fortnite even have like, specific original character designs anyone knows
    Fortnite has a ton of original characters, the most notable being John Jones aka Jonesy, the blond guy who's sort of the "protagonist" of the ongoing story and is one of the default skins
    https://fortnite-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Jonesy_(Battle_Royale)
    https://fortnite-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Agent_Jonesy
    fortnite-outfit-jonesy-the-first.jpg

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Halo community manager is saying it's not Master Chief

John Junyszek
    @Unyshek
    Maybe one day Folded hands

(aka not happening, but would be sick)

Ugh you should have said this along time ago dude

I'm pretty sure we say the same thing every time anyone asks Smiling face with open mouth and cold sweat

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    There's a rather convincing audio "leak" on reddit of
    GLaDOS introducing Atlas and P-Body from Portal 2 as the final fighters. Which is just left field enough to be believable, IMO.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    fuck the smash leaks, we got datamined leaks in Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl
    They announced 2 free DLC characters post launch, and they have been found in the game.
    There was a previous leak of this character's model before the game launched, but no one believed it. But now, due to the inclusion of images of their stage in the files, we know that
    5m0rrqka5kr71.png
    FACZopg.png

GARFIELD is coming

also images of another character that's way less interesting
    87po23Q.png

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    There's a rather convincing audio "leak" on reddit of
    GLaDOS introducing Atlas and P-Body from Portal 2 as the final fighters. Which is just left field enough to be believable, IMO.
    Puke. I would hate that and so should everyone, is my first visceral reaction if that is true.

Absalon on