Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Oh god I realized I don’t have to deal with leaks for…I dunno, 3-5 years?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    10/6/2021:

Nintendo's Plans for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 2. A launch title for the Switch Pro!

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I would like partial credit (no prize) because the Doom Slayer is in the game now, too.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    What I really want to know is whether Disney allowed a Sora amiibo to be made.

Who knows at this point. It could be an abundance of caution -- mass-producing toys takes a LOT of time between deciding to do it and getting them on shelves, and I'm guessing they didn't start the process for each one until after the announcement to avoid leaks. And we just got the Sora announcement.

Then again, Sakurai specifically said that we might not get Amiibos of each character this time, possibly because of Sora? Or possibly because he didn't want to make a promise he couldn't keep since the ultimate decision to keep on Amiiboing is Nintendo's.

tl;dr: who knows.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    sakurai will probably stop working on smash, finally, after a billion years.

• Options
    Make an Amiibo, but replace Sora's Smash Bros trophy design with his Toy Story design from KHIII.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    There's really no way to top Ultimate. It is the best version of the game, and too much care and effort put into it. I think they'll just re-release it in 4k60fps or whatever it is when the Switch 2 does inevitably come out. Especially if Sakurai is truly done with the franchise.

• Options
    Main question there is if they'll need to re-negotiate for the various third-party characters in such a case.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Enlong wrote: »
    Main question there is if they'll need to re-negotiate for the various third-party characters in such a case.

Yeah, that's a catch. I think the old names like SEGA, Capcom, Namco, etc. would be relatively simple there (and this is the second game for those three anyways), but the others who knows.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2021
    the only additional thing I want out of future iterations is better netcode
    and waluigi
    and dark soulsman
    and a monster hunter

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Man...Ultimate has so many characters I love. But the netcode is booty juice.

Which makes me sad cause I'm sure a lot of the 3rd parties I like won't be in the next one.

• Options
    and waluigi
    and dark soulsman
    and a monster hunter

Still kinda surprised that a monster hunter character isn't playable, when Rathalos is in the boss crew. He's the one boss that doesn't have a corresponding franchise playable.

And yeah, there's a lot that coulda been done with a Hunter, or even a Palico. ...or a Palico riding a Palamute.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    and waluigi
    and dark soulsman
    and a monster hunter

Still kinda surprised that a monster hunter character isn't playable, when Rathalos is in the boss crew. He's the one boss that doesn't have a corresponding franchise playable.

And yeah, there's a lot that coulda been done with a Hunter, or even a Palico. ...or a Palico riding a Palamute.

Palico and Palamute together is too recent to have had a chance, but god that would be an amazing option.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Next Smash might as well be a weapons-based fighter the way all these additions keep going.

• Options
    There will absolutely be a new Smash, but it feels like an opportunity for someone else to pick up the reins and start from scratch with the mammoth roster pared back and a lot of characters reimagined. Something like 30 characters and future DLC.

Imagine if Ganondorf or Luigi got redesigned from the ground up instead of awkwardly being altered over a decade from a template? What if they had the development time to give Sonic a moveset beyond spin dashes? Like the legal nightmare of bringing back like 20 third party characters would make development awkward and there’s definite diminishing returns trying to keep that kind of roster going game after game,

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I would like partial credit (no prize) because the Doom Slayer is in the game now, too.

We gotta battle for it because I also said him!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
      Bah! Go assist yourself!

• Options
      Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
      So I was watching some of the character showcases for Nick Smash Bros and I'm really not feeling it. The animations are stiff, the hit boxes look awkward and inconsistent, several of the characters don't seem to have much personality, the stages are all kinda samey and boring, plus the lack of voices and official music from the cartoons make the matches strange and weird.

Funny enough, I think the game that came closest to being a great Smash Clone is still TMNT Smash Up on the Wii.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
      Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
      PSN - Brainiac_8
      Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
      Add me!
    • Options
      AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
      Warning: Lots of high pitches, screaming, and crying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWLTk8CMNBE

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    • Options
      The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
      Brainiac 8 wrote: »
      So I was watching some of the character showcases for Nick Smash Bros and I'm really not feeling it. The animations are stiff, the hit boxes look awkward and inconsistent, several of the characters don't seem to have much personality, the stages are all kinda samey and boring, plus the lack of voices and official music from the cartoons make the matches strange and weird.

Funny enough, I think the game that came closest to being a great Smash Clone is still TMNT Smash Up on the Wii.

I think the best smash clone is pretty much between Rivals of Aether (if you're a melee-er) or Brawlhalla (if you're not), they've both still got strong playerbases going years later in a market that's WAY oversaturated for how many people actually play not-Smash platform fighters.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    • Options
      Nickelodeon is a budget title, and it’d have been largely ignored as shovelware were it not for the developer.

But, they clearly picked Ludosity for a reason, so I’m struggling to understand why the game stayed with a shovelware budget.

YL9WnCY.png
    • Options
      Next Smash might as well be a weapons-based fighter the way all these additions keep going.

I am shocked to learn that so many main characters use swords.

• Options
      KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
      Athenor wrote: »
      Warning: Lots of high pitches, screaming, and crying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWLTk8CMNBE

I'm sad this is the last one of these we're going to get for a long time.

• Options
      TimFiji wrote: »

We gotta battle for it because I also said him!

I will share completely meaningless partial credit with you, of course.

• Options
      BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
      What's your favorite character reveal video throughout the Smash series? Mega Man's was mine.

• Options
      What's your favorite character reveal video throughout the Smash series? Mega Man's was mine.

Kind of liked the Belmonts because they went ridiculously hard for no reason.

• Options
      EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
      Sterica wrote: »
      Nickelodeon is a budget title, and it’d have been largely ignored as shovelware were it not for the developer.

But, they clearly picked Ludosity for a reason, so I’m struggling to understand why the game stayed with a shovelware budget.

Have you played Slap City or any of their other games? I mostly know them from Remar's independent games.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
    • Options
      Luca72Luca72 Registered User regular

Ridley. I'd given up on him at that point and lost it when I saw that tail

• Options
      edited October 2021
      God, my favorite reveal trailer? That's... really hard.

The Brawl reveal is a fuckin' classic at this point, with the surprise reveal of Snake at the end. That codec ring was the start of a wild trajectory for the series.

Mega Man's trailer, I remember getting me really excited. The reveal of Mega Man on the cliff top is great. The scripting of it is really good in general; I love how he starts out using only his basic blaster and physical attacks, and gets beat up. So then he turns on his copy system, and just wrecks the competition with his copied weapons. All the little details are great. He starts out with Metal Blades, because of course he would. What Mega Man fan wouldn't jump to that weapon immediately? And the fact that his little monitor inside his head displays the name and serial number of each robot he's copying, as the weapon gets displayed.

Banjo Kazooie was super fun as a trailer. The repeat of the script beats from the K Rool trailer was hilarious, and I adore the way that they play up the relationship between them and the Kongs, as Rare-developed characters. It's just... really cute.

Enlong on
    • Options
      JavenJaven Registered User regular
      This is the one I probably watched the most

https://youtu.be/mxzNNrRj-oc

• Options
      The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
      Sterica wrote: »

Have you played Slap City or any of their other games? I mostly know them from Remar's independent games.

Card City Nights is a great little game.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    • Options
      edited October 2021
      The Cloud reveal for me.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK5gdf5cMPM

My favorite cinematic trailer in terms of build-up is probably the Megaman one though, it's so good.

KoopahTroopah on
    • Options
      I'm trying to figure out something with the Sora trailer. There's this bit where he throws a turnip, fire flower, and banana gun at Kirbies colored pink, yellow, and blue (respectively), who eat the items. He then jumps for joy.

This feels like a reference to something specific, but I can't put my finger on it. I thought it might have been referencing the White Mushroom enemies, who want Sora to use specific magic on them, but the items and colors don't really fit that idea.

• Options
      This is fun.
      I'm trying to figure out something with the Sora trailer. There's this bit where he throws a turnip, fire flower, and banana gun at Kirbies colored pink, yellow, and blue (respectively), who eat the items. He then jumps for joy.

This feels like a reference to something specific, but I can't put my finger on it. I thought it might have been referencing the White Mushroom enemies, who want Sora to use specific magic on them, but the items and colors don't really fit that idea.
      Yeah, I think it's a reference to his neutral B changing magics.

• Options
      Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
      The Cloud reveal for me.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK5gdf5cMPM

My favorite cinematic trailer in terms of build-up is probably the Megaman one though, it's so good.

This one was good. I think the ones that affected me the most was back in the Brawl days. The announcement of Sonic was just amazing. Then the Mega Man reveal is probably my favorite reveal trailer.

This one with Max and Cloud though was amazing. Love his reaction to it.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
      Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
      PSN - Brainiac_8
      Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
      Add me!
    • Options
      BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
      the sonic one and the snake one for brawl back in the day were great

BahamutZERO.gif
    • Options
      jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
      ozeyi1w0rz9r.png

• Options
      and waluigi
      and dark soulsman
      and a monster hunter

Very late, but I read somewhere that's because the Monster Hunter team is very against having their character as a fighter. Supposedly they hated how a Monster Hunter character was done in one of Capcom's own fighting games, and they've put their foot down ever since.

• Options
      that game being Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite?

That's kinda funny, considering that I've heard that Monster Hunter is one of the better animated and representative fighters in that game. But that's opinions.

Also, MVCI came out in fall of 2017, and Monster Hunter was released as DLC a bit later than that. With Smash Ultimate coming out in 2018, I feel like the decision on whether or not to use a Hunter in Smash had to have been made before the character was finished in MVCI.

• Options
      that game being Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite?

That's kinda funny, considering that I've heard that Monster Hunter is one of the better animated and representative fighters in that game. But that's opinions.

Also, MVCI came out in fall of 2017, and Monster Hunter was released as DLC a bit later than that. With Smash Ultimate coming out in 2018, I feel like the decision on whether or not to use a Hunter in Smash had to have been made before the character was finished in MVCI.

According to the same article, a Monster Hunter fighter was intended to be in Smash at some point, but then the moveset got transferred to Byleth. Grain of salt and all that.