As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC! Thread Title Update

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Why can't they be bimbos
    You're preaching to the choir here, friend

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I miss Darwyn Cooke so much. :(

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    superman is a nice boy who cares a lot about people and he doesn't know how you say cliché in french

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    "Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)" is officially having its name changed to "Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey".
    Regal Cinemas and AMC Theaters have already updated the title to reflect the Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey title.

Source

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    The only real problem with the old title was Fantabulous, shoulda just cut that word out instead.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i would imagine there's a lot of arguments between bigwigs about how much advertising to do, what advertising was right

the word on the street has been that a lot of people did not realize it was coming out now

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I doubt it was arguing

Birds of Prey released 4 days after the Super Bowl, but WB didn't buy any ads for it during the game

WB wanted it to die. I thought it may be due to being a bad movie, but it's reviewing well and positive word of mouth is out there. So must be some other reason WB executives were keen to have it fail

Can't quite think of what makes this movie different from the rest of the DC properties they didn't sandbag tho....

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    studios don't intentionally lose money

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Well there is the John Carter of Mars film thing, where a Disney exec didn't like it or want it made, but got overridden, and he was in charge of marketing and decided just to...not. He was hoping to be vindicated in his idea that the movie shouldn't be made, but it was a self fulfilling prophesy since it had next to 0 marketing.

The exec retired shortly after.

• Options
    I am fairly certain that story isn't accurate?

What happened with John Carter is that the director, Andrew Stanton, was coming off of some of Disney's biggest hits ever with Pixar and essentially had a blank check and made the poor assumption that everyone was as knowledgeable and excited about John Carter of Mars as he was so the marketing did nothing to try and explain or sell it to audiences.

There are interviews where he said he considered JCoM as big of a cultural touchstone as, like, Frankenstein and Batman.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    studios don't intentionally lose money

Movies that flop don't lose studios money

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    BlankZoe wrote: »

What happened with John Carter is that the director, Andrew Stanton, was coming off of some of Disney's biggest hits ever with Pixar and essentially had a blank check and made the poor assumption that everyone was as knowledgeable and excited about John Carter of Mars as he was so the marketing did nothing to try and explain or sell it to audiences.

There are interviews where he said he considered JCoM as big of a cultural touchstone as, like, Frankenstein and Batman.

I feel bad for the dude because I have definitely been in the place of thinking something is super cool and being like "wait, everyone isn't also into this?"

But also

You need to do the research, my guy!

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I feel bad for the dude because I have definitely been in the place of thinking something is super cool and being like "wait, everyone isn't also into this?"

But also

You need to do the research, my guy!

Here's the article if people are curious

https://www.vulture.com/2012/03/john-carter-doomed-by-first-trailer.html

And the most relavant bit
    Stanton (who also nixed all mentions of his Pixar work in the teaser for fear that people would think this film was for little kids) was working from the belief that John Carter was still as universally iconic a figure to people as Dracula, Luke Skywalker, or Tarzan. “It was my Harry Potter,” he said during an interview at Google last week that was streamed live on YouTube. “All I ever wanted when I read that book was to believe it.” He believed that audiences would gasp in delight at John Carter’s very appearance in much the same way that a Batman teaser might only need to flash the Bat Signal. As such, he felt that the very first John Carter trailer needed only to intrigue, not explicate. “To him, it was the most important sci-fi movie of all time,” recounts one Disney marketing insider present for the pitched battles. “He could see no idea in which someone didn’t know who John Carter of Mars was. But it’s not Frankenstein; it’s not Sherlock Holmes. Nobody cares. People don’t say, ‘I know what I’ll be for Halloween! I’ll be John Carter!’”

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    My favorite part of that is "still" an iconic figure

I'm not sure he ever was

I've read those books. They're knockoff Conan the Barbarian in space. They're fun! But I don't think they ever hit the heights he thinks they did

• Options
    I'm sure everyone had a book series like that as a kid, I know I did!

Bruce Coville's Aliens Ate My Homework kids sci fi series was like the biggest shit in the world to me, and I know people have read them but I seriously thought it was like

A cultural touchstone

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I am thrilled to announce that with the special collaboration of Universal Studios and Paramount Pictures, we have begun principal photography on our $200m adaptation of the legendary novel

mark your calendars for December 25th, 2021, because on that day we are all MANIAC MAGEE

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

Hmm looking it up I can no longer find the articles that I had bookmarked about this (I use to bookmark like everything for some reason) they are all broken links now, so perhaps you are right and I took the internet rumor bait. My bad.

That movie was still more enjoyable then it gets credit for.

• Options
    Dejah Thoris, previously known as "John Carter's girlfriend" has more ongoing cultural presence than Carter himself now

I don't know what the numbers are on those comics but I can tell you what they are on any comics featuring John: zero

• Options
    On the wikipedia page it seems like it was an inspiration for a lot of more famous stuff

Lovecraft, Robert e Howard, ray Bradbury all noted it as an influence

Also @Grey Ghost the series is about 20 years older than conan

So we have a Hydrox situation

• Options
    Oh yeah I think the John Carter movie is a fun little adventure romp

Hell, I might watch it tonight! I think it is on Disney+

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I watched it recently, it's pretty good!

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah John Carter was a cultural touchstone in the sci fi/fantasy world of yesteryear. But the genre masters inspired by John Carter of Mars are barely read themselves these days.

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    On the wikipedia page it seems like it was an inspiration for a lot of more famous stuff

Lovecraft, Robert e Howard, ray Bradbury all noted it as an influence

Also Grey Ghost the series is about 20 years older than conan

So we have a Hydrox situation

Yeah John Carter is a big deal in a few very specific circles (it was a huge influence on Bradbury especially, but you can also see it really strong with Clark Ashton Smith, of that whole crowd)

I've always seen it as around the same as like, maybe one of Howard's characters that hasn't had a highly successful movie made about him or something

You know, a Solomon Kane or a Kull of Atlantis or what have you

Which sort of follows, given the very direct comparison that you could make to Tarzan there

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    If John Carter cut to having like one intro prologue instead of three or four I think the movie would jump from 'hey that's pretty good!' to 'hot damn this is great'

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Its most recent expression, including ALLLLLLL the massively problematic White Savior/Superman stuff, is Cameron's AVATAR.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    John Carter of Mars was also in the second or third volume of The League of Extraordinarily Gentlemen comics, somewhere around 2000

(Fuck)

It was basically a cameo though, the Martians from those books were fighting the tripod Martians from War of the Worlds

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    John Carter of Mars was also in the second or third volume of The League of Extraordinarily Gentlemen comics, somewhere around 2000

(Fuck)

It was basically a cameo though, the Martians from those books were fighting the tripod Martians from War of the Worlds

Yup first issue of volume two. The War of the Worlds Martians were aliens from another solar system invading Barsoom if I recall correctly. And most of the issue is in a fictional martian language.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    0ihh6nqck4rq.jpg
    Mmmhm.

Announcement tomorrow

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    was completely on board until i realized those are corpses

• Options
    please, god, no.
    must we?
    (apparently.)

• Options
    The Batman Who Laughs and now The Batman who Kills.

What about like...The Batman who is.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Extremely not into that, but it is making me think about like, a fun Greek mythology Elseworlds sort of thing

Batman is Hades, Wonder Woman is Athena, Superman is Apollo, that sort of thing

Edit: Kept thinking
    Zeus - Lex Luthor
    Hera - Amanda Waller
    Poseidon - Aquaman
    Demeter - Poison Ivy
    Athena - Wonder Woman
    Apollo - Superman
    Artemis - Vixen
    Ares - Ares
    Aphrodite - Star Sapphire
    Hephaestus - Cyborg
    Hermes - Flash
    Hestia - Starfire
    Dionysus - Bizarro
    Hades - Batman

I opted to do a mix between heroes and villains given the overall mercurial alliances of the Greek gods. Also because the idea of Ares being anyone other than Ares was unthinkable.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    The Batman What Is Meatloaf

https://youtu.be/x7ES7ueI7p0

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    was completely on board until i realized those are corpses

Looks more like dirt and people crawling out to me

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Why not just Harley Quinn AND The Birds of Prey?

The name was stupid, they buried their lead character at the end of 9 words. Like The Shawshank Redemption apparently burned audiences so The Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of one Harley Quinn was never going to be anything more than a gimmick.

• Options
    All titles are gimmicks

literally, by definition

• Options
    Like, the point of a title is to attract an audience

They thought this would be more eyecatching than Harley Quinn & The Birds Of Prey

But that title is also gimmickey because its just listing the person you think people want most first

I don't get the complaint

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    All titles are gimmicks

literally, by definition

"the name of a book, composition, or other artistic work."

No they're not. It's the primary identifier of your film. For as long as I've been hearing about that film I've just been referring to it as the Harley Quinn film. Having such an unwieldy name does have an evidential basis for impacting a film's success because it's how many people are going to initially judge the film.
    Like, the point of a title is to attract an audience

They thought this would be more eyecatching than Harley Quinn & The Birds Of Prey

But that title is also gimmickey because its just listing the person you think people want most first

I don't get the complaint

I literally just said that when analyzed, the simple title of The Shawshank Redemption was deemed to be one of the things that worked against it at the Box Office. It's not a complaint, it was a statement of fact that the name can impact the film. The unwieldly title buried their most important character at the end.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    All titles are gimmicks

literally, by definition

"the name of a book, composition, or other artistic work."

No they're not. It's the primary identifier of your film. For as long as I've been hearing about that film I've just been referring to it as the Harley Quinn film. Having such an unwieldy name does have an evidential basis for impacting a film's success because it's how many people are going to initially judge the film.

gim·mick
    /ˈɡimik/
    noun
    plural noun: gimmicks
    a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business

The point of the title is to get people to look at the movie

They thought a big flashy one would be better

Maybe they were wrong, but that doesn't make it stupid or somehow invalid

Chincymcchilla on