As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DC! Thread Title Update

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Half the reason The Batman Who Laughs sucks is his design, right

I can see myself digging a character who's "what if the Joker was also Batman", but this guy looks dumb

It has always bothered me that he looks nothing like the Joker, or even a clown for that matter.

I wish they had just stolen the Clown Batman design from DC Special Series #27. It's always been a favorite of mine.

fj13l6shwbdp.jpg

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    Okay, to contrast my being a grump about Death Metal

Superman: Heroes, the big one shot showing how the hero community deals with Clark going public, is basically perfect.

Every story is great, they range from thoughtful and sweet to hilarious, and I love it so much.

Highlights include:
    Booster Gold revealing he has known the whole time because everyone in his time knows the name Clark Kent and that it has been SO HARD not to spill

Diana and Bruce having a heart to heart about Bruce feeling jealous that he can't ever do what Clark did

Plastic Man not being able to get over that he fell for the glasses thing

And this story, which is my favorite:
    e88xxkmtgw1j.jpg
    x7hydf6833lz.jpg
    dkuzdjgnukht.jpg
    n2guf4zda1qn.jpg

I think this is the best the Superman line has been since I started reading comics and it is just so exciting and delightful

Man, I hope that teacher doesn’t have a twin brother that’s a reverend.

Doctor Detroit on
    Super intelligence was a staple among Superman's power set in old pre-crisis days. He was as much an inventor as he was a pugilist.

It's one of the reasons why I always objected to the characterization of Superman as a lunkhead, popularized by Frank Miller. Granted, pre-crisis Superman was OP, but that's not the reason why super intelligence went away. It was done primarily to make Batman look better by comparison.

I remember Kurt Busiek tried to bring it back in his late 00's run on the character, but if he's just barely proficient at high school level chemistry, I guess it didn't stick.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Honestly I think Superman being a super genius is lame as hell and unnecessary

But he isn't an idiot, he is just good at other stuff like writing and history versus The Sciences

CYpGAPn.png
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    Honestly I think Superman being a super genius is lame as hell and unnecessary

But he isn't an idiot, he is just good at other stuff like writing and history versus The Sciences

I like how his intelligence was portrayed in Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.

He isn't a super genius in any real way but he is very knowledgeable about a vast many topics.

He's basically a trivia champ.

Clark-Kent-Trivia-Champ.jpg

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Please stop reminding me that Dean Cain was charming once

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    It always made sense to me. The yellow sunlight of Earth supercharges not only his muscles, but his brain as well.

But then, I've never bought into this modern idea that Justice League members need to be "balanced", like they're choosable classes in a video game.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I liked the way he was portrayed in his own animated series, back in the day:
    Especially at the beginning, it wasn't that hard to catch him by surprise with something new, something outside his experience. But if you try the same trick on him again, or three times? He'll have figured out a counter for it, and will hand you your ass.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I liked the way he was portrayed in his own animated series, back in the day:
    Especially at the beginning, it wasn't that hard to catch him by surprise with something new, something outside his experience. But if you try the same trick on him again, or three times? He'll have figured out a counter for it, and will hand you your ass.

It's a shame he got downgraded to a dummy in the Justice League cartoon.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Anyone who portrays Superman as a moron has clearly forgotten he's meant to be an investigative journalist, someone who does tons of reading and detective work.

Apparently that school teacher story from Superman: Heroes was written by Fraction, not Bendis.

Which just means they should have Bendis only do 1 Super Book (since he can't seem to keep both great at the same time) and give the other to Fraction.

CYpGAPn.png
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Extremely not into that, but it is making me think about like, a fun Greek mythology Elseworlds sort of thing

Batman is Hades, Wonder Woman is Athena, Superman is Apollo, that sort of thing

Edit: Kept thinking
    Zeus - Lex Luthor
    Hera - Amanda Waller
    Poseidon - Aquaman
    Demeter - Poison Ivy
    Athena - Wonder Woman
    Apollo - Superman
    Artemis - Vixen
    Ares - Ares
    Aphrodite - Star Sapphire
    Hephaestus - Cyborg
    Hermes - Flash
    Hestia - Starfire
    Dionysus - Bizarro
    Hades - Batman

I opted to do a mix between heroes and villains given the overall mercurial alliances of the Greek gods. Also because the idea of Ares being anyone other than Ares was unthinkable.

This is actually the exact motif Grant Morrison used for his expanded JLA lineup in 1998.

Zeus was Superman (he had electric powers at the time, long story)
    Hera was Hippolyta (she was filling in for her daughter at the time, long story)
    Hades was Batman
    Apollo was Kyle Rayner
    Hermes was Wally West
    Poseidon was Aquaman
    Chiron was Martian Manhunter
    Ares was Orion
    Hestia was Big Barda
    Dionysus was Plastic Man
    Cupid was Zauriel (an angel character Morrison created when editorial wouldn't let him use Hawkman)
    Hephaestus was Steel
    Athena was Oracle
    Artemis was Huntress

By no coincidence, the first villain they fought named himself after the titan Prometheus.

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I am loving green lanterns new ways to use the ring.
    Devolving and shrink rays
    This is the Morrison I want

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    The only one of those I never made sense of was Big Barda as Hestia, maybe I'm not aware of some part of Hestia's duties, but the main things I always remember is goddess of the hearth, never married. But I guess after 12 other gods, Morrison was going "fuck it, Hestia it is."

Dizzy D on
    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    She's also a fire goddess and a goddess of sacrifice (I mean, they're all gods of sacrifice, but because sacrifices are burned, she's technically involved with all of them and a small offering is frequently made to Hestia before you make an offering to any other god).

Which still doesn't give you a lot, and she's not involved in heroic narratives in the same way that the other Olympians are. I ended up just running with the fire thing, because my other ideas were like, Martha Kent or something.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    So I guess the Harley and Ivy mini ends with Ivy getting a crazy split personality and the couple breaking up?

Thanks I hate it

They're not even a couple!

DC keeps fuckin dancing around it and showing them as VERY CLOSE and IMPORTANT TO EACH OTHER but never actually doing the damn thing

The mini could have ended with a big dramatic kiss saying they would see each other again

But nope

Peck on the forehead

CYpGAPn.png
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    They’ve absolutely been a couple in Harley’s own book. Making out and bangin and everything.

But DC seems determined to keep fucking with it.

Hell, relationship stuff aside I wish they’d figure out a goddamn direction for Ivy herself and stick with it.

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I kind of like what they're doing with Ivy in the Harley Quinn show.

She's been a loner for most of her life, only really enjoying the company of plants, but she made friends with Harley in Arkham and is opening up more to the idea of friends and human relationships, but is super scared of being ditched.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    Bloods End wrote: »
    I am loving green lanterns new ways to use the ring.
    Devolving and shrink rays
    This is the Morrison I want

Liam Sharp confirmed on Twitter that Season 2 is being cutdown from 12 issues to 8 due to orders from on high. Most people think it's because of 5G, which would put the 5G launch at around September.

I'm worried it means we won't get the Antimatter War story they teased at the end of Season 1. It's a shame, because I think that story looks super hype.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »

She's been a loner for most of her life, only really enjoying the company of plants, but she made friends with Harley in Arkham and is opening up more to the idea of friends and human relationships, but is super scared of being ditched.

Also she doesn't do the super villain robbing banks shit, she only into what we would call "eco-terrorism". Sure she still breaks the law but she has like principles.

• WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Bedigunz wrote: »

Also she doesn't do the super villain robbing banks shit, she only into what we would call "eco-terrorism". Sure she still breaks the law but she has like principles.

They've gotten at least three good jokes out of that distinction.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    fingers crossed that batman book leads to the babydoll and croc ongoing the world has been clamoring for

6vjsgrerts6r.png

fingers crossed that batman book leads to the babydoll and croc ongoing the world has been clamoring for

The premise should be Hardac leading a team of villains created for the series who never made the transition into the comics, including Baby Doll, Red Claw, Sewer King, Doctor Dorian, Boss Biggis, Farmer Brown, and the Ninja.

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular

The premise should be Hardac leading a team of villains created for the series who never made the transition into the comics, including Baby Doll, Red Claw, Sewer King, Doctor Dorian, Boss Biggis, Farmer Brown, and the Ninja.

Can we bring in Penguin's pet vulture from the highly regarded "I've Got Batman in my Basement"?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

no

i just want baby doll and croc having adventures and raising an eggbaby from batman beyond

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I am eeeeh on that but like the rest of the suit design

CYpGAPn.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Enjoy your new wife.

liEt3nH.png
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I really don't like that

But I'm suspecting most versions of Batman are not for me any more

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Big Daredevil vibes from that test.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    teh batman

• InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    So with Robert Pattinson as the new Batman, can we refer to him as
    The Batman that Sparkles?

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    DC has announced the roll-out to 5G, a series of extra sized one shots covering the distinct eras of the DCU

Generation One: The Age of Mystery
    Generation Two: The Age of the Metahuman
    Generation Three: The Age of Crisis
    Generation Four: The Age of Rebirth
    Generation Five: The Age of Tomorrow

The first is out in May. The One-Shots will be written by Brian Michael Bendis, Dan Jurgens, Andy Schmidt, Robert Venditti, and Joshua Williamson and art from Doug Mahnke, Bryan Hitch, Mikel Janín, Ivan Reis, David Marquez, and more.

Andy Schmidt is referred to as the "lead scripter" so it sounds like the writers might just be, like, plotting ideas.

Honestly this is a very unexciting way to build up to a big revamp. The only writer out of that brain trust that I actually like more than "eh, he's fine" is Bendis. And Andy Schmidt is an editor and has only written a handful of things in the past 2 decades so his being the "lead scripter" is...very weird.

Plus the combo of no women or PoC on the writing staff and just the idea of HERE ARE 5 GIANT ONE SHOTS TO EXPLAIN CONTINUITY I am really not feeling it.

CYpGAPn.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Invectivus wrote: »

The shame is that the Joker is probably the best villain to hit Batman with a glitter bomb so we can have that joke, but Joker should absolutely not be in this.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Invectivus wrote: »

The shame is that the Joker is probably the best villain to hit Batman with a glitter bomb so we can have that joke, but Joker should absolutely not be in this.

You could easily achieve the same effect with a broken skylight

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    It's gotta be so weird to notice that costume detail when he's talking to you

"Wait... it's ... are you a bat-gun? Is that what this is? Why don't you use guns? Wait you don't like guns?"

It feels like one of those personalized license plates that you can tell is very specific but is also too obscure to actually interpret.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.