As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Uncanny X-Thread: Now with a helpful OP!

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I just stumbled into this thread by accident. Is it 1992?
    15 years is long enough to repackage old storylines. Who are we missing to complete the circle though? Jean's dead, that one dude got his head cut off by Angel...

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I say Xavier...

I mean, he basically sent the New X-Men on a suicide mission...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Fuck

This better not be Cass Nova again

Scooter on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Phil Grayfield is the traitor

Algertman on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is there really supposed to be a traitor? I hadn't heard that.
    If so, is this now tying into the whole Bishop telling everyone when he came to the past that one of their own will betray them? I thought we had already cleared up that storyline with the whole Onslaught thing. And then there was the whole Gambit thing...

The X-Men need a better screening process.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    SASA Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is there really supposed to be a traitor? I hadn't heard that.
    If so, is this now tying into the whole Bishop telling everyone when he came to the past that one of their own will betray them? I thought we had already cleared up that storyline with the whole Onslaught thing. And then there was the whole Gambit thing...

The X-Men need a better screening process.

Bishop wasn't entirely convinced the Onslaught thing was what he was talking about.

And who was really surprised when Gambit left and joined the Marauders?

The Solicits keep talking about a traitor and so do the interviews.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    there is supposedly a traitor but the Bishop/traitor thing WAS resolved by Onslaught.. the Jean transmission proved that.

I have no idea who the traitor is going to be though. As for Gambit, it's been mentioned before in this thread but there's a pretty good chance he's already working with Cable

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Can I just say that, from a DC-oriented comic reader's perspective, this event is pretty God damn awesome?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Can I just say that, from a DC-oriented comic reader's perspective, this event is pretty God damn awesome?

Was that a question, or a statement?

Regardless, I do think this event so far has been pretty great... and it's nice to see all the X-Family working together. Hopefully kitty gets in on the action... and I'm kinda pissed Rachel is stuck in space... otherwise, good times.

I will say though, the X-Men betrayal thing has been done to death... hell, in the last year they've been betrayed like, three times.

I still say it's Xavier though. He hasn't done a damn thing since HoM...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I suppose I was asking if I could say such a thing.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Zeromus wrote: »

No. No, you can't. Stop that.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So, Messiah Complex is awesome.

Should I bother going back and reading the last two events? Which were what, Deadly Genesis and Rise and Fall of the Shiar Empire?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    So, Messiah Complex is awesome.

Should I bother going back and reading the last two events? Which were what, Deadly Genesis and Rise and Fall of the Shiar Empire?

Neither of them have anything to do with Messiah Complex, so you don't really have to. Deadly Genesis was kinda lame, but the Shiar stuff in Uncanny was pretty fun and worth a read.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Although Deadily Genesis is a prequel to the Shi'ar Arc

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh yeah, whoops. Brainfart.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I don't like DG on the basis of me not liking retcons, but Shi'ar is a good filler to the gap left in what Annihilation handles in Cosmic Marvel.

The Marvel Universe as a whole is getting pretty fucked all around. The Shi'ar, Kree and Skrulls have always been the three major space powers and now they've all collapsed or on the verge of it. I really wonder what the universe is going to look like in a year or two.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    I don't like DG on the basis of me not liking retcons, but Shi'ar is a good filler to the gap left in what Annihilation handles in Cosmic Marvel.

The Marvel Universe as a whole is getting pretty fucked all around. The Shi'ar, Kree and Skrulls have always been the three major space powers and now they've all collapsed or on the verge of it. I really wonder what the universe is going to look like in a year or two.

World War Galactus?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Nope. It's gonna be Rise of the Earth Empire. Once they get the whole 50 state thing figured out...

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Nope. It's gonna be Rise of the Earth Empire. Once they get the whole 50 state thing figured out...

Finally... about time Earth got to engage in some inter-stellar genocide.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sentry wrote: »

Until the Badoon return the favor in a few centuries, or is Guardians of the Galaxy no longer to be mentioned?
    Balefuego wrote: »
    there is supposedly a traitor but the Bishop/traitor thing WAS resolved by Onslaught.. the Jean transmission proved that.

I have no idea who the traitor is going to be though. As for Gambit, it's been mentioned before in this thread but there's a pretty good chance he's already working with Cable

Sinister knows about Cable, so it's not much of a stretch from there that Gambit found out from him.

And I'm curious as to why there is a flashback (I hope...) of Scott and Jean giving up Cable to the Aksani(sp?/don't care about Deus ex Cable)--curious being another term for "fuck that shit."

I think the traitor is Jamie, who I also think is the person on the cover with the M tattoo on his face (well, one of his dupes anyway). At least, I want it to be Jamie because I like the idea of the best outcome of the future for mutants being if Sinister gets the baby--because that's just kind of neat.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well, it's its own Earth. Timeline. Thing.

august on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh, man.

What the fuck?
    From Uncanny 493, taken off Scans_Daily.

uxm493-2.jpg

Cassandra Nova. You've got to be shitting me.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh, man.

What the fuck?
    From Uncanny 493, taken off Scans_Daily.

uxm493-2.jpg

Cassandra Nova. You've got to be shitting me.

The next page or so shows the startling leap to the conclusion that somehow Cable is responsible for that, and that he is now an evil dude. So the X-force is created and sent after him.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh, Jesus. Thank God.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh, Jesus. Thank God.
    Of course, they're very obviously wrong, and they're going to have one of those "misunderstanding fights", but stay secure in the knowledge that it probably isn't Cassandra Nova.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Although Cassandra Nova is certainly the most effective X-Men villain ever.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Sentry wrote: »

Well, the Shi'ar and the Kree we can both blame on Earth villains. Can we blame Annihilus on the Fantastic Four somehow?

Scooter on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Are they the first ones from our universe to make contact with Annihilus? TOTALLY their fault.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Fantastic Four were the first ones to cross between our universe and the Negative Zone. Annhilius, Blastaar, and a whole bunch of other terrible things can be laid at their doorstep. Personally, I've never really liked X-Men In SPACE! so I just keep hoping all the goddamned Shi'ar will die someday.

Anyway on to Messiah Complex - Well we finally got some resolution to the THIRD SUMMERS BROTHER plotline, and now they're bringing the X-Traitor around *again*? As much fun as big X-Team stuff is, can we please just kill off as many people as needed so there are none of these 10-20 year old plot threads writers can just keep digging up?

I mean hell, all in one go we have X-Traitor (Onslaught, Bishop, a million Gambit is a dick storylines), Cable gone Rogue (X-Cutioner's Song), Cassandra Nova, Human Sentinel Hybrids (Operation: Zero Tolerance)... if they keep going we can dig out some Phoenix Saga for the umpteenth time and then reboot the whole goddamned thing back into Inferno seeing as how Cable is NOT Jean Grey's son. Oh man, wasn't Madrox absorbed by his evil dupe either right around and/or during Inferno? IT ALL FITS TOGETHER. STRYFE SHOT FIRST.

Oh and as an aside on Bobby - He's my favorite character, and I tend to keep apprised of his current powers and such (Please for the love of god can we never hear for Lorna fucking Dane again? This Mystique thing is probably the best relationship to happen to Bobby since.. uh... Rogue?)... ANYWAY here's the lowdown on Bobby's grand total of abilities:

1) He can exist as a psychic emanation. Just like what Beast was trying to get Santo to do over in New X-Men a couple months ago - Bobby does not need a body to exist. In fact, he can even recreate one after his is destroyed. This has been evidenced many times, most recently when he got evaporated and regenerated his body from nothing in X-Men 197(?), but he's done similar things like when Post punched a hole in his chest, when fried by Sentinels in AoA, etc etc etc. Unfortunately he seems to have very weak defenses versus telepaths (at least Emma Frost - neither Legion or Onslaught ever controlled him), and *this* is one of those things that you'd think his X-Buddies would FORCE him to train up on.

2) He has the ability to "freeze" anything. This means he can suck enough energy from any material to reduce it to a solid state. In X-Men 199 he drains the energy from a nuclear blast and claims to be able to reduce the ambient temp to "within spitting distance" of absolute zero. In X-Men 200 he practices this ability on the Blackbird's engines so that he has enough control to prevent Sunfire from even being able use his abilities... abilities that basically turn him into a human sized solar furnace. This is the sole extent of his power, but the question of what limitations this ability has (if any) have yet to be answered. Presumably, if he can continuously drain the energy out of his surroundings (where does the energy go, comic book science?) he could freeze the planet, the sun, the solar system, or the entire universe.

One of the reasons Bobby's "Mental Blocks" ring so true is that when your upper limit may be the eradication of the entire universe, maybe the human mind is just smart enough to short circuit that ability. Apparently Gambit suffers the same sort of "Mental Block" as one of his alternate reality selves was fully capable of charging both organic and inorganic matter, and accidentally charged and destroyed his entire Earth.

So the reason Iceman tends to deal with energy transfer almost exclusively in the realm of the water molecule may be as simple as the fact that his subconscious cut him off from all but the most obvious of his abilities in order to prevent a catastrophic misuse of his powers.

Or Madylenne Pryor came back in time and mind wiped Iceman to prevent him from being such a dangerous person. So she can mate with him. In Species... errrr.. Inferno 2.

But basically all of Iceman's abilites can be explained away as being manifestations of his ability to exist without form and to manipulate various forms of energy.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The X-traitor storyline is not being brought up again, it's been resolved and dead for a long time.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It seems like every mutant has a mental block.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It seems like every mutant has a mental block.

Or they're crazy.

Or they don't remember their past (because it's been retconned too much)

Or they fell on their head.

Or their mind is spread out among too many people/bodies....

Yeah, I'm still failing to see why *anyone* thinks the mutant population needs to be saved.

The only people whose powers made a lick of sense were Angel's and Beast's, and thanks to secondary mutations, one has healing blood and the other is a goddamned cat!

Ringo on
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ringo wrote: »
    Apparently Gambit suffers the same sort of "Mental Block" as one of his alternate reality selves was fully capable of charging both organic and inorganic matter, and accidentally charged and destroyed his entire Earth.

I thought Gambit's block thing was put in place by Sinister at his request?

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yup.

Also, apparently Gambit can charge organic matter, just not currently alive matter. He's blown up zombies, specifically mentioning he could do that because they were dead.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Zombies are exceptions to almost every rule

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ringo wrote: »
    Personally, I've never really liked X-Men In SPACE! so I just keep hoping all the goddamned Shi'ar will die someday.

But that's a whole lot of X-Men stories, several of them actually good.

But as to the Shi'ar
    You'd like what happens in the What If? Vulcan Became Phoenix.

Shi'ar empire go BOOM.
    Anyway on to Messiah Complex - Well we finally got some resolution to the THIRD SUMMERS BROTHER plotline, and now they're bringing the X-Traitor around *again*? As much fun as big X-Team stuff is, can we please just kill off as many people as needed so there are none of these 10-20 year old plot threads writers can just keep digging up?

Yeah. Resolved. I'm sure we'll never hear about Vulcan again.

As for tying up loose threads, that's just wacky shit. Any time it's really been tried, it's just created a giant knot.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I remember in AoA, Iceman could 'teleport' himself and his entire team by turning their mostly-water bodies into vapor. Now, that was an amusing thought. Apparently the only side effects were some general disorientation, headaches, and tiredness.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I dunno, guys. I am really not sold on this event. It seems interchangeable with every other event since I stopped reading in the 90s. Gambit is mysterious and maybe a rouge but not really. Cable is mysterious and maybe a rouge but not really. Mister Sinister does mysterious shit for mysterious reasons. And big crowds of semi-entertaining-to-crappy mutants pound on each other for some reason and accomplish precisely dick. Maybe if there's a big awesome reveal at the end or character development or something I'll pick up the trade.

august on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    august wrote: »
    I dunno, guys. I am really not sold on this event. It seems interchangeable with every other event since I stopped reading in the 90s. Gambit is mysterious and maybe a rouge but not really. Cable is mysterious and maybe a rouge but not really. Mister Sinister does mysterious shit for mysterious reasons. And big crowds of semi-entertaining-to-crappy mutants pound on each other for some reason and accomplish precisely dick. Maybe if there's a big awesome reveal at the end or character development or something I'll pick up the trade.

rouge

There has to be a big awesome reveal at the end. That's what the billing has been. What will become of mutant-kind?
    I think the first awesome reveal is going to be when Shadowcat shows up and reveals something. The second will be that that isn't really Cable, it's Apocalypse.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh wait, I forgot

Mystique is evil again now again.

For a while.

And Rouge is going to be in a coma for a while I guess.

Edge of my seat over here.

EDIT: Also, I wonder what the count is for the number of times the X-Mansion has been demolished in-continuity?

august on
This discussion has been closed.