As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Far Side is coming back?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I learned from a video how to squish the kitty, because they feel safer when you hold them tightly

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    My sister's car is incredibly skittish, which makes sense considering it lives with two toddlers and a giant excitable dog. So I consider it a personal triumph that whenever I visit he eventually let's me pet him, after lots of standing still with my palm down, despite fleeing and hiding from pretty much everyone else.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2019
    I have the Complete Far Side, and some noteworthy strips get commentary. Let me share some:
    IXc2FET.gif

Tethercat is noteworthy for getting any kind of reader response at all. In a comic known for a good deal of worse violence, this one got a load of hate mail. Is it specifically violence against cats, humanity’s near-universal soft spot? No, Larson has done mean things to cats before and worse, like a cat with two peg forelegs next to a fish bowl with a piranha in it.

Larson’s hypothesis was that there’s no conclusion or finality to the violence. It’s been 30 years since that strip, and those dogs are still playing tethercat. Other comics may suggest impeding violence, or the aftermath of violence. But this one is during violence, and when you make the victim a cat it really bothers people.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Yeah seeing humans as caregivers, because humans give care, =/= thinking humans are cats
    Close interspecies socialization is the exception, not the norm. So in a cat's mindscape, we're part of the 'in' group and thus must be cats, because we are part of their 'us' group.

I mean, people can keep saying this like it's an objective truth, but I'm gonna go ahead believing that we don't actually know what a cat is thinking

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    after I learned about dog laughing I sometimes do it if we have a doggo around who is looking anxious or stressed. It definitely does seem to chill them out a bit.

I realize it's a big ask, but I can't quite make concrete what the article means about breathing “hhuh-hhah-hhuh-hhah” sounds. Do you have an an example, or (this is the big ask part) want to put up a recording or something of it?

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    after I learned about dog laughing I sometimes do it if we have a doggo around who is looking anxious or stressed. It definitely does seem to chill them out a bit.

Oh dang, I wasn't aware of this but when I play with dogs I do exactly this, and they lose their minds and get so excited and happy.

Somebody once called me "the dog whisperer" and to this day it's been the best compliment I've ever recieved.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Oh yeah I always used to make that noise when playing with the base dog in SA. I just did it because she did it when she was excited, so it seemed appropriate.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    My sister's car is incredibly skittish, which makes sense considering it lives with two toddlers and a giant excitable dog. So I consider it a personal triumph that whenever I visit he eventually let's me pet him, after lots of standing still with my palm down, despite fleeing and hiding from pretty much everyone else.

Lemme guess, a little Nissan?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    ph blake wrote: »

Lemme guess, a little Nissan?

A lot of people think they like it when you pet them on the hatchback, but that's actually a really sensitive area that they don't like touched.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I just spent a good 7 minutes googling "Nissan cat" and "Nissan cat breed" because I thought I was missing something, thanks auto-correct.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I am the dog whisperer, because any time someone says "my dog is afraid of strangers", within 5 minutes I'll have that dog sitting right next to me getting pets

One time a friend was like "I've known that dog for 4 years and it still doesn't let me let it!". The dog was sitting on my lap, and it's owner came down the steps and said "what the fuck?"

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    New page, huh.

ar5lmr2wddka.png

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

I realize it's a big ask, but I can't quite make concrete what the article means about breathing “hhuh-hhah-hhuh-hhah” sounds. Do you have an an example, or (this is the big ask part) want to put up a recording or something of it?
    I think its similar to panting, but with less vocalization.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I think I make more of a "buh buh abuh buh buh" sound, but it gets the job done.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Bedlam wrote: »

Yeah. Kind of panting, but you don't hang your tongue out, just kind of audibly huff at them fairly fast. If you ever see a dog looking really relaxed and happy and doing a fast smiling pant, that's the sound you're trying to imitate.
    I was trying to find an example on youtube but it's mostly just people laughing at dogs.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    I have the Complete Far Side, and some noteworthy strips get commentary. Let me share some:
    IXc2FET.gif

Tethercat is noteworthy for getting any kind of reader response at all. In a comic known for a good deal of worse violence, this one got a load of hate mail. Is it specifically violence against cats, humanity’s near-universal soft spot? No, Larson has done mean things to cats before and worse, like a cat with two peg forelegs next to a fish bowl with a piranha in it.

Larson’s hypothesis was that there’s no conclusion or finality to the violence. It’s been 30 years since that strip, and those dogs are still playing tethercat. Other comics may suggest impeding violence, or the aftermath of violence. But this one is during violence, and when you make the victim a cat it really bothers people.

I actually have a theory on this one - I bet people are subconsciously (or maybe just consciously) disturbed because the rope is around the cat's neck. I think it would be less off putting to most it if was around the cat's feet or body proper.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I’m disturbed because the physics are all wrong. If the rope is around the cat’s neck there’s no way the cat’s body should be in the position it is. If anything the feet and tail should be closest to the dogs.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Yeah seeing humans as caregivers, because humans give care, =/= thinking humans are cats
    Close interspecies socialization is the exception, not the norm. So in a cat's mindscape, we're part of the 'in' group and thus must be cats, because we are part of their 'us' group.

I mean, people can keep saying this like it's an objective truth, but I'm gonna go ahead believing that we don't actually know what a cat is thinking

For someone who spent as much time around animals as you did, your lack of understanding of behavioral science is a little weird.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I mean in smof's defense, cats are fucking weird

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I think the ongoing assertion that cats view people as other cats is bogus for the simple reason that I've never in my life met a cat that reacts the same way to meeting a new person as they do meeting a new cat

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular

For someone who spent as much time around animals as you did, your lack of understanding of behavioral science is a little weird.

... the fuck is this comment?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

It's completely unnecessary and pretty shitty to make a post like this.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Also, smof is 100% correct, we don't actually know what a cat is thinking, we're just trying to infer it based on stimulus/response and behavioral observation, but who knows how well that correlates to the animal's actual thought processes.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

Totally uncalled for

• Options

Yeah. Kind of panting, but you don't hang your tongue out, just kind of audibly huff at them fairly fast. If you ever see a dog looking really relaxed and happy and doing a fast smiling pant, that's the sound you're trying to imitate.
    I was trying to find an example on youtube but it's mostly just people laughing at dogs.

I think I get it now; it was the differentiating between "hhuh" and "hhah" that really threw me

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    It amuses me to think that right now somewhere around the world formers and lurkers are practicing dog laughter in the mirror. C'mon now, do it with me: hhuh-hhah-hhuh-hhah

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Gonna crack a dog the fuck up next time I see one.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    They never seem to get my jokes.

Its a ruff business!

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    They never seem to get my jokes.

Its a ruff business!

e4p5x1yfp5ka.png

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Any time I think I am a grown up, I just have to see this comic and I am 7 again.

25p23p86l0kt.jpg

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »
    my childhood dentist had a bunch far side collections in his waiting room and it was very helpful in distracting me from the fact that I was visiting

c22f3094fa48e0c0c063a13b1c108a00.jpg

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    Any time I think I am a grown up, I just have to see this comic and I am 7 again.

25p23p86l0kt.jpg

There's one thing I could think of to improve this comic and it's that one of those guys should be holding his hat in his hand

• Options
    AWWW SHIT IT ONLY WENT AND HAPPENED!

Looks like they have a daily thingy with multiple comics and collections of stuff and sketchbooks and what not.

Looks like scans of the originals.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Its already paying dividends because I've never seen this one and it's exactly my kind of stupid.

pqnvhvh9u117.jpg

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    so many school nights spent reading from the pile of The Far Side collections my dad owned

• Options
    edited July 2020
    First new Far Side comic in 25 years

EDIT: I guess there are three of them?

chromdom on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    The first got a chuckle, loved the 2nd and damn is the 3rd just dark.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Didn't really get the 3rd one, the other two were ok.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The art has never been the point of the far side but I think the discovery of photoshop is doing Larson no favors.

But the comics, I liked!

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    "No images or other content displayed on this Website may be reproduced, digitized, stored in a retrieval system, made available via any computer or wireless networks, transmitted or circulated in any form or by any means, without prior written permission of the copyright owner."

I think they just claimed their own website is a copyright violation :P