As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Indie Games] h o n k

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    i only got to play monaco as a singleplayer thing and I didn't love it.

I think it's a lot like Overcooked in that the only fun way to play it is in a group of people on a couch, so the Switch is a perfect move for them

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    in fairness monaco is also fun online, but voice chat is a must

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the audible interaction with your teammates friends adversaries is absolutely crucial to the experience.

The game's no good without somebody yelling at you, "DON'T BRING THEM TO MY HIDING PLACE YOU F--"

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Chorus is an interactive Greek mythology musical that's currently crowdfunding, here's some early gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIzwjFEQBTk&feature=youtu.be

That's Laura Bailey and Troy Baker (who is also the game's vocal director). Pretty neat.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Chorus is an interactive Greek mythology musical that's currently crowdfunding, here's some early gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIzwjFEQBTk&feature=youtu.be

That's Laura Bailey and Troy Baker (who is also the game's vocal director). Pretty neat.

Well, somebody saw Hadestown.

That seems like an awesome project, hope it turns out well.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/2qiK3Btzd2s

Black Future '88 comes out November 21st on Steam and Switch.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    I beat Afterparty last night. Real good game, not as revolutionary as Oxenfree but then again it was always poised as a more lighthearted fun romp through actual literal hell. Still though it starts real strong and the last hour or so has three real good story twists that I didn't expect. There are even some good metacommentary moments in the middle of the game where characters lean on the 4th wall and make use of the fact that videogames can track how you consume them unlike passive media. There's some strong hinting that Night School will once again do a free update that adds depth and replayability. Even if they don't though I came away from it really caring about the core cast of characters and really enjoying the writing and voice acting.

These types of games always take a while to digest but I would recommend it now and will probably recommend it harder later.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I beat Afterparty last night. Real good game, not as revolutionary as Oxenfree but then again it was always poised as a more light-hearted fun romp through actual literal hell. Still though it starts real strong and the last hour or so has three real good story twists that I didn't expect. There are even some good meta-commentary moments in the middle of the game where characters lean on the 4th wall and make use of the fact that video-games can track how you consume them unlike passive media. There's some strong hinting that Night School will once again do a free update that adds depth and replayability. Even if they don't though I came away from it really caring about the core cast of characters and really enjoying the writing and voice acting.

These types of games always take a while to digest but I would recommend it now and will probably recommend it harder later.
    @PwnanObrien Agreed. The spooky radio mechanic plus time 'fuckery' made it just that more special. Totally my jam. :)
    I beat Afterparty last night.
    Nice! What ending did you get? In my ending:
    I 'convinced' (cajoled?) Satan into going into rehab/therapy. :D
    I mostly chose Lola.
    Wish I had time for another play-through this year. I might just look up the other ending(s).

Also I will be on the look-out for Wormwood cosplay pics from now on. It will be like seeing a double rainbow, rare and precious. :P

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Lola "won" the "competition" which is maybe the first real big twist in the game for me. The way Wormhorn reveals to you that all of your decisions were being used to split a wedge between Milo and Lola and how the game switches player control over to the one Wormwood declares has autonomy in their friendship is just perfect.

Satan's reveal that Wormwood actually only lives for a single day actually made me feel sorry for her. So after finding her playing beerpong alone, poorly, I made friends and got her on my team along with Linda the musician. I'd actually be interested to see how many options they give you because you can apparently even recruit the random vomiting guy from the start of the game.

I decided to outdrink Satan. I barely squeaked by in beer pong on the first go but the final challenge took me like ten tries. I think the key to the tower mini-game is to confidently give each glass a single nudge and then place it. Going back and forth seems to make things go all wobbly like the balancing in Tony Hawk games.

Also yeah I really did not see the intervention coming. Night School is really good at making dialogue from the first half of a game have different context after the reveal. One of my favorite lines in all of Oxenfree was Clarissa saying "Oh God, it's just Alex and her...new step-brother. Ok, so this is happening now. This is a thing that's happening." The first time you hear the line it sounds exasperated and like she's being her usual caustic self toward Alex and Jonas. Then you play the game and find out how much she actually loved Michael and how close they were and how almost aggressively pleasant she was to be around and the line reads as somebody who is choking back tears. Here they do the same thing but it's people who initially sound like they're plotting a coup against the devil. Like I'm sure I'll pick up on more during a second playthrough but lines about the difference between having fun to have fun and having fun to not be sad are the most damning thing in all of Hell.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular

I know this is a ways back but I wanna say that laughing enemy on the jet powered platform repeatedly screaming dummy has some great fawful-like energy.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    darunia106 wrote: »

I know this is a ways back but I wanna say that laughing enemy on the jet powered platform repeatedly screaming dummy has some great fawful-like energy.

I'm not actually going to like, play Freedom Planet, because I fundamentally do not like the Sonic gameplay loop. But I have a lot of respect for how much better their character design is when you past the first three main characters.

Milla floats by dog paddling in the air! That's the cutest thing I've ever seen!

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    remember when kentucky route zero was rated for consoles earlier this year and everyone thought act 5 was soon

there's no news or anything, i just want you to remember

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Fucking Noita

I just had a run where I got more than 10 wands on the first level, plus I explored the overworld a bit and got a treasure chest literally thrown at me with a rare spell inside

Then I was right next to an end portal when a fucking worm came out of nowhere, no warning and one-shot me

Roguelikes!

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    remember when kentucky route zero was rated for consoles earlier this year and everyone thought act 5 was soon

there's no news or anything, i just want you to remember

maybe the real act five was the memories we made along the way

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    We've had updates on Act 5 of KR0. If you call their toll-free number 1858-WHEN-KRZ, and request an update on the status of the game, it will tell you that the current status of the game is "Quality Assurance Testing," which is different than "Development" which is what it had been on for the longest time.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    We've had updates on Act 5 of KR0. If you call their toll-free number 1858-WHEN-KRZ, and request an update on the status of the game, it will tell you that the current status of the game is "Quality Assurance Testing," which is different than "Development" which is what it had been on for the longest time.
    I know that this is real because KRZ is that kind of thing

But holy shit this sounds like a Hard Drive headline

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I know that this is real because KRZ is that kind of thing

But holy shit this sounds like a Hard Drive headline

Everything about KRZ is very good, actually. I'm going to get to play Act Five eventually. It's not like they're going to charge me more money for it. Forgetting most of what happened in the previous acts is the most appropriate way to play the game, IMO. It's totally in-line with the themes the game explores.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    I tried to play it and bounced off thoroughly

I know folks really love that thing and more power to them but it ain't for me at all

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Oh yeah, it's definitely not for everyone.

It's the sort of game I would want English lit professors who scoff at the medium to play.

• Options
    Also that was not like

A qualitative judgment on KR0

Just that "to get development updates, please call our toll free number and navigate the automated menu" straight up sounds like a gag

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Oh I know it's completely bonkers and I am here for it.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The only thing I want from Noita now is the glass cannon perk, I always fucking annihilate myself with it but one day I will master it and just drop fuckin tactical nukes on all the dumbass swarms of pinpoint accurate enemies that knock you out of the air

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I'm suddenly reminded of how They Might Be Giants got their start with a number you could dial to listen to a song.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Afterparty is Very Good

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    "Actually its good that it takes them years in-between episodes" will never stop being funny to me

Like in a "I meant to shit my pants!" Sort of way

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    In the right context shitting your pants could be powerful art

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Also that was not like

A qualitative judgment on KR0

Just that "to get development updates, please call our toll free number and navigate the automated menu" straight up sounds like a gag

I don't know if it's still a thing but they used to have another phone number that led you to an automated messaging service that was its own kind of game.

Gundi on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's new in Noita or what but I was able to travel right super far, like through a desert, over a pyramid and into this temple thing with this floating diamond thing that I couldn't get into. It was nuts.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    "Actually its good that it takes them years in-between episodes" will never stop being funny to me

The whole game is made by like, three people. I have a lot more leeway to give to small developers.

Let us instead join hands and laugh about how long the FF7 remake has supposedly been getting worked on

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I don't know if it's new in Noita or what but I was able to travel right super far, like through a desert, over a pyramid and into this temple thing with this floating diamond thing that I couldn't get into. It was nuts.

that sounds new, I traveled over the pyramid a day or two after it first came out and just found a "this is the end of the world" rock wall beyond it.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Ive definitely gone left and found weird stuff. Like a polymorph pond that turned me into a flying sheep.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Ive definitely gone left and found weird stuff. Like a polymorph pond that turned me into a flying sheep.

Yea I've found the left stuff before too, like that egg on the branch up the wall.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

The whole game is made by like, three people. I have a lot more leeway to give to small developers.

Let us instead join hands and laugh about how long the FF7 remake has supposedly been getting worked on

There is a combination of factors at play which include having already sold people the game due to the episodic nature

But there is a difference between "Well I understand why it's been delayed", "I am glad that they are taking the time they need", and etc etc that is a mile away from "Actually this is part of the experience of playing the game", and not only because it implies that people who play the complete game without 5+ years of gaps in-between episodes are somehow getting a less authentic experience.

You don't have to try and make the fact that it has been over three years since the last episode a Good Thing.

• Options
    I don't think I've ever said it's "a Good Thing" that they've been taking forever on making it.

Merely that it's ironically befitting, considering the themes of the game.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    hl2 episode 3 is going to be so good you guys

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I still want to see the ending of KR0 but oh my god it's been a while

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I just want to know what their day-to-day work has been like on that thing and what has made it take so long

have they started over several times? do they just not know how they wanna end it? do they have some really ambitious ideas for it that they won't compromise on that has turned out to be way harder than expected to see through (this one's called The George R.R. Martin)?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I just want to know what their day-to-day work has been like on that thing and what has made it take so long

have they started over several times? do they just not know how they wanna end it? do they have some really ambitious ideas for it that they won't compromise on that has turned out to be way harder than expected to see through (this one's called The George R.R. Martin)?

in order to create episode 5, one must first create the universe

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

The financial success of KR0 has led to a LOT of coke parties. It's hard to code when you're on 4 day weekend coke binges every week!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i don't know that my assumption about kr0 is that it was a major financial success

liEt3nH.png