Options

The Ritual is [Chat]

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    Completely unrelated to any extracurricular activities that may have resulted in my becoming chat OP, it's the start of spooky season!

What are y'all looking forward to most, [chat]? The darkening nights? Pumpkin spice being added to fucking everything? Binging on horror movies?

Upping my goth game by 200%

@Mim :bro:

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    It’s amazing how tired I am given that I’ve had 4 cups of coffee

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I have never watched Steven Universe and this conversation is reaffirming that my habit of avoiding Media That Has Overenthusiastic Fans With A Layer Of Discourse On Top is generally a good one

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I will probably never interact with the Stephen Universe Universe

Stephen universe might legitimately be good but I’m pretty sure I’ll never find out firsthand

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I have all the figurines and I sing the songs! I am able to put away the adult brain and enjoy it but it can be fun to also think about how weird it is.
    I really did think Gregg was a deadbeat absentee father and the show does very little to dissuade you from that position initially.

It's hard to judge a character by a real world metric when barely anyone in the show acts like s human.

Really? I mean they soften it a ton but they act a hell of a lot more like actual people than most cartoon shows.

Elmer Fudd is more relatable than half the human cast.

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

Hold on I’m firing up my time machine to go get married

• Options
    milski wrote: »
    I have never watched Steven Universe and this conversation is reaffirming that my habit of avoiding Media That Has Overenthusiastic Fans With A Layer Of Discourse On Top is generally a good one

SU, MLP, and Sonic the Hedgehog do however demonstrate the power of a franchise where it's easy to create OCs.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

This is dumb, this discourse is dumb

I shouldn’t talk to you guys about anything that is actually enjoyable, it becomes a social pissing contest in like 5 seconds

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    MFW my great grandma is hot as hell but I don't want to create a paradox

• Options

I shouldn’t talk to you guys about anything that is actually enjoyable, it becomes a social pissing contest in like 5 seconds

Even with its flaws I absolutely loved Star vs. FOE.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I have all the figurines and I sing the songs! I am able to put away the adult brain and enjoy it but it can be fun to also think about how weird it is.
    I really did think Gregg was a deadbeat absentee father and the show does very little to dissuade you from that position initially.

It's hard to judge a character by a real world metric when barely anyone in the show acts like s human.

Really? I mean they soften it a ton but they act a hell of a lot more like actual people than most cartoon shows.

Elmer Fudd is more relatable than half the human cast.

But only because most of us have animosity for rabbits due to being weirded out by the Easter Bunny

• Options
    People have told me about so many tv shows and I just never watch them

Instead I listlessly flick through YouTube videos because my brain has rotted through internet use

• Options
    desc wrote: »

Instead I listlessly flick through YouTube videos because my brain has rotted through internet use

T R U S T T H E A L G O R I T H M

• Options

Yeah you should talk about MTG instead

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

SU, MLP, and Sonic the Hedgehog do however demonstrate the power of a franchise where it's easy to create OCs.

what about those IPs makes them easier to create (I shudder at this term) OCs in?

like I feel like it's no great difficulty for me to create stories featuring my original character, Jacob Kosh, in the rich world of Walter Mosely's Easy Rawlins crime novels, or The Canterbury Tales, or as the secret robot master in the next Mega Man (as Flex Man obv)

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

Can I interest you in a buildlog in which an AE86 is dragged out of a literal field in Ireland and turned into a drift car

https://youtu.be/_mJoDpb3JHM

• Options

what about those IPs makes them easier to create (I shudder at this term) OCs in?

like I feel like it's no great difficulty for me to create stories featuring my original character, Jacob Kosh, in the rich world of Walter Mosely's Easy Rawlins crime novels, or The Canterbury Tales, or as the secret robot master in the next Mega Man (as Flex Man obv)
    Uh nobody reads anymore you nerd. What he means is they have a distinctive but simple art style, so you can create a character that is instantly recognizable as from that universe without spending forever on it.

• Options

There's an extremely strong and obvious visual identity to those IPs that gives them a pre-made visual template for creating OCs. Slap a thematic name and power, change the palette, adjust the gem/mark/spikiness, and bam! You have an OC.

A crime detective novel OC or (to a lesser extent) a megaman boss doesn't quite have the same level of pre-emptive work done for you, and likewise doesn't immediately have the visual identity to hook other people into the shared worldbuilding. It's a lot easier to get excited at minute zero by "My Pony's Thing is CompSci" than "I have a cool backstory as Another One Of The Canterbury Gang"

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Vanguard wrote: »

T R U S T T H E A L G O R I T H M

The algorithm doesn’t ask me to commit

• Options
    japan wrote: »

Can I interest you in a buildlog in which an AE86 is dragged out of a literal field in Ireland and turned into a drift car

Yes

Yes you can

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular

They provide discrete pieces to choose for each character:
    - Sonic: animal type, color (I list color because you have, eg, gold Sonic as distinct from blue Sonic (and this is true of all three))
    - MLP: tattoo, limb/horn/whatever, color
    - SU: gem, color
    and also provide very cookie-cutter bases on which to stick these characteristics.

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »

Yeah you should talk about MTG instead

There's a called card Crashing Drawbridge where you tap it to give creatures haste, like a drawbridge falling and letting out your dudes! It's awesome!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I have the bulgy wulgy song stuck in my head and I blame you even though it's my fault

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Bogart. @Winky banned from this thread.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    He was 100% being portrayed as an irresponsible absentee father for the first few episodes of the show

Actually kind of made it hard to watch

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I have the bulgy wulgy song stuck in my head and I blame you even though it's my fault
    husband and i kept annoying each other with it and then when we went to the nude beach there were lots of daddies
    and now i guess we have a fetish

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am hot and sweaty after walking the dog because fucking summer won't go away.

Also thoughts:

SU was well done and good and has some good lessons in it. It doesn't even exist in a realistic world so whatever.

I still kind of like Adventure Time more because it just accepts that the world is ridiculous and runs with it.

Either way they are fun things to turn your brain off to and watch.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    "Wouldn't it be funny if we took everything that was charming about this piece of media and painted over it with the cold, grey shroud of 'realism'?"
    yes

I mean, fair enough!

It certainly explains why we seem to be getting very different things out of the show.
    I love the show very much and watched the whole thing. I'm making jokes. I'm also real tired of SU preciousness meaning we can't talk about or have different thoughts about the show.

It's a good premise with mediocre execution and a ton of horrible stuff like two twelve year olds being sexualized by the camera and hit on by an adult who knows they're children.

When the fuck does this happen

• Options
    Guys, I know it's hard sometimes not to be mad people don't see something the same way you do, but if you find you can't bear the thought of someone not agreeing without being rude about it, you will be kicked from [chat] (or any other thread). Especially if railing against how people don't see something the way you do is something you do regularly.

• Options
    edited September 2019

MLP is straight up cookie-cutter. You pick a build, pick a sub-species, add a color scheme, slap a personality sticker on its ass and you're done.

Gems and Sonic OCs are a little more complex, but you still just build around the gimicks. Gems are built around the sticker, so half the colors are picked out most of the time, and gemstones all have keywords to use. Sonic OCs are either clones of existing characters or animal+SonicBody+angst.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Let's all play a game of drop ball.

https://youtu.be/nzEtdDQrhyY

• Options
    Also I gave up on Voyager and am rewatching TOS. Much more enjoyable.

SHOULDER ROLL.

• Options
    I mean. i’m not really that harsh on Greg in real life. He had Steven as an infant and he lives with the Gems because they’re training him to use his powers and Greg thought Steven was safer with them.

My really on pet peeve about the show is Rose Quartz being the ultimate fuckboy but I get amazing songs out of it so win/win for me I guess

(“it’s Over Isn’t It” and “Drift Away” are bangers and I dare you to fucking fight me on this)

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

Yes

Yes you can

It's a great series

Also a fascinating glimpse into a world where there were no import restrictions on Japanese cars for a solid couple of decades, and the property crash means a half dozen guys can rent an enormous industrial unit for €800 a month, split between them

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Does anybody remember the dude with the MLP themed CV with his coding OC pony on it?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Formula 1 makes it hard to want to watch the races sometimes.

Their streaming service allows you to watch the races live, or anytime after - unless you live in Canada. In which case if you can't watch live (Most races are in the middle of the night because they're in Europe or Asia), then you have to wait a full fucking week before they'll let you watch them.

And so I have to find other means. And then they do their best to spoil the race for anyone who doesn't stay up until 5am to watch SPORTS anyway.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I am hot and sweaty after walking the dog because fucking summer won't go away.

Also thoughts:

SU was well done and good and has some good lessons in it. It doesn't even exist in a realistic world so whatever.

I still kind of like Adventure Time more because it just accepts that the world is ridiculous and runs with it.

Either way they are fun things to turn your brain off to and watch.

And walk down the street singing too and seeing if you can cry on command and have strangers look at you weird but do they mind the homeless dude in the corner singing about Satan while touching himself oh noooo SO LET ME BE SPINEL IN PEACE

This discussion has been closed.