Options

The Ritual is [Chat]

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Pretty much the whole reason I watched Adventure Time or Steven Universe was the music. Both have pretty excellent song writing. Its light but well done.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019

Mim wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    "Wouldn't it be funny if we took everything that was charming about this piece of media and painted over it with the cold, grey shroud of 'realism'?"
    yes

I mean, fair enough!

It certainly explains why we seem to be getting very different things out of the show.
    I love the show very much and watched the whole thing. I'm making jokes. I'm also real tired of SU preciousness meaning we can't talk about or have different thoughts about the show.

It's a good premise with mediocre execution and a ton of horrible stuff like two twelve year olds being sexualized by the camera and hit on by an adult who knows they're children.

When the fuck does this happen

Stevonni. There's a scene where the camera straight up gropes them, and a scene where that clubber creep guy creeps in them after he previously ran away from them.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Pretty much the whole reason I watched Adventure Time or Steven Universe was the music. Both have pretty excellent song writing. Its light but well done.

Bless Rebecca Sugar’s music talent

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    That Adventure Time clip is based on that weird old dude who went on Dragon's Den with his invented game isn't it

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    n94ueqb97un31.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=a4ac462cb3779ae37cc81d27a0937f95608d0134

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    People have told me about so many tv shows and I just never watch them

Instead I listlessly flick through YouTube videos because my brain has rotted through internet use

Can I interest you in a buildlog in which an AE86 is dragged out of a literal field in Ireland and turned into a drift car

https://youtu.be/_mJoDpb3JHM

Yes

Yes you can

It's a great series

Also a fascinating glimpse into a world where there were no import restrictions on Japanese cars for a solid couple of decades, and the property crash means a half dozen guys can rent an enormous industrial unit for €800 a month, split between them

Okay this all sounds like my kind of thing 🤔

Watching this tonight after doing class reading and then seeing pals

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    0LH6mzk.jpg

Worlds smallest shrimp trawler?

• Options
    n94ueqb97un31.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=a4ac462cb3779ae37cc81d27a0937f95608d0134

Edit this for Lesbians and Bisexuals so that the girl knows they are indeed getting hit on

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/om3FF1RLfLg
    OWO DANCING IN SEPTEMBER

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

Edit this for Lesbians and Bisexuals so that the girl knows they are indeed getting hit on

It is a little weird that they chose to use something that appears to be out of promos for the movie Carol, the notorious Harold They're Lesbians movie

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Anyway, no work is immune from criticism. People just don't all voice their opinions at the same volume or frequency.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    As a 100% outsider to SU my impression was that fusing was some sort of semi-sexual thing (not sex, but implying a similar level and style of consent) so learning that Stevonnie even existed was deeply weird

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    As a 100% outsider to SU my impression was that fusing was some sort of semi-sexual thing (not sex, but implying a similar level and style of consent) so learning that Stevonnie even existed was deeply weird
    It's every creator's duty to include elements for 2 hour criticism videos.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I have never watched Steven Universe and this conversation is reaffirming that my habit of avoiding Media That Has Overenthusiastic Fans With A Layer Of Discourse On Top is generally a good one

This is dumb, this discourse is dumb

I shouldn’t talk to you guys about anything that is actually enjoyable, it becomes a social pissing contest in like 5 seconds
    Yeah you should talk about MTG instead

There's a called card Crashing Drawbridge where you tap it to give creatures haste, like a drawbridge falling and letting out your dudes! It's awesome!

this next set looks so fun

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    what about those IPs makes them easier to create (I shudder at this term) OCs in?

like I feel like it's no great difficulty for me to create stories featuring my original character, Jacob Kosh, in the rich world of Walter Mosely's Easy Rawlins crime novels, or The Canterbury Tales, or as the secret robot master in the next Mega Man (as Flex Man obv)
    Definitely one of the great things about BATTLETECH.
    It's a good premise with mediocre execution and a ton of horrible stuff like two twelve year olds being sexualized by the camera and hit on by an adult who knows they're children.

Stevonni. There's a scene where the camera straight up gropes them, and a scene where that clubber creep guy creeps in them after he previously ran away from them.
    To the former, I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but for the latter, it's explicitly about dealing with unwanted sexual attention, and about Stephen and Connie and how they (will) have to learn to adapt to a new cultural sphere where they don't know the moors yet.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

It's easy to get the impression that the fusions or whatever are fucky because most of the fan art is REAL fucky and is also the only part of steven universe that I have even seen outside the show's intro.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Elki wrote: »
    I'm calling Betelgeuse

• Options

Watching it, its more feels really dependent on the characters. Some are like you are describing. Others are more like a non-sexual joining of self/soul. Its weird because though gems are female in depiction they are really a sexless item produced through injection of stuff into soil.

They are more like robots?

So Steven Universe is about robosexuals.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Since I just kind of watched the show and participated in 0 of the fan community I just figured it was a show and not really think.

Unsurprisingly the fan community of adults and those in late stage puberty made it sexual in fan art.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Since I just kind of watched the show and participated in 0 of the fan community I just figured it was a show and not really think.

Unsurprisingly the fan community of adults and those in late stage puberty made it sexual in fan art.
    oh, fans aren't the only ones making it sexual

8ql6sh1j7h8q.gif

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    what about those IPs makes them easier to create (I shudder at this term) OCs in?

like I feel like it's no great difficulty for me to create stories featuring my original character, Jacob Kosh, in the rich world of Walter Mosely's Easy Rawlins crime novels, or The Canterbury Tales, or as the secret robot master in the next Mega Man (as Flex Man obv)
    Definitely one of the great things about BATTLETECH.

To the former, I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but for the latter, it's explicitly about dealing with unwanted sexual attention, and about Stephen and Connie and how they (will) have to learn to adapt to a new cultural sphere where they don't know the moors yet.

The camera male gazes on Stevonni. Stevonni traces their body with their fingers to invite the gaze.

And yeah half the early stuff about them is about how everyone is attracted to them, even Sadie and Lars, while being children.

• Options
    I've never watched stephen universe, but as far as I can tell he is a boy who lives with a bunch of gemstones who are somehow also humanoids and occasionally they fuse together to...uh...dance together? Do they fight evil? I don't think they do?

• Options
    There appears to be a lot of fusing.

Is Stephen Universe the Dragonball GT of cartoon network?

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I've never watched stephen universe, but as far as I can tell he is a boy who lives with a bunch of gemstones who are somehow also humanoids and occasionally they fuse together to...uh...dance together? Do they fight evil? I don't think they do?

Mostly the gems hide useful information.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    So I just read this in an article about Stephen Universe the Movie:
    Steven Universe: The Movie changes that. The entire plot of the movie is predicated on the idea that Steven will never, ever be able to escape the damage his mother wrought on an individual and planetary scale, and ends with the dark realization that happily ever after never actually happens.
    what the fuck is this show

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Fusion is used as a clear metaphor for sex/sexuality/romance enough times that I am a bit weirded out by - no, not Stevonnie (they're both teenagers and around the same age, so sure, fuse away, just make sure to use protection) – but some of the other Steven fusions

And, yeah, yeah, I know what everyone says in response to this, "it can also be a metaphor for completely non-sexual intimacy", I still think maybe they should've just not gone there. Although I'm sure the fan pressure to see what every possible fusion looks like was enormous

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I love you so much, mortal kombat
    and youtube political nerds
    and penny-arcade chat (at least wandering and casual eddy)

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    (I'm alt tabbed from Kombat rewatching a contrapoints video and chatting is why I said that. in a good mood too)

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    wandering wrote: »
    Fusion is used as a clear metaphor for sex/sexuality/romance enough times that I am a bit weirded out by - no, not Stevonnie (they're both teenagers and around the same age, so sure, fuse away, just make sure to use protection) – but some of the other Steven fusions

And, yeah, yeah, I know what everyone says in response to this, "it can also be a metaphor for completely non-sexual intimacy", I still think maybe they should've just not gone there. Although I'm sure the fan pressure to see what every possible fusion looks like was enormous

Connie is 12, Steven is 14.

• Options
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Fusion suffers from the same metaphor issue that “magic” does in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Sometimes it was just a spell, then it became about lesbian sex and then it became about drugs. WHAT THE FUCK WAS IT WHEDON?!

Fusion takes on serious meaning for some gems and not much for others, but then it muddies the waters. Like Pearl and Rose were obviously fucking, but (SU: Movie Spoiler)
    Steven and his dad?!

Mim on
  • Options
    Variable wrote: »

Wow okay.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    So I just read this in an article about Stephen Universe the Movie:
    Steven Universe: The Movie changes that. The entire plot of the movie is predicated on the idea that Steven will never, ever be able to escape the damage his mother wrought on an individual and planetary scale, and ends with the dark realization that happily ever after never actually happens.
    what the fuck is this show

Steven Universe is all about paying for the sins of your parents.

I know my parents were fuckboi/fuckgurl at certain points. So glad I don’t have to pay for that shit (well more than I already have)

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

I don't agree. The show is explicitly a coming of age story about trying to find a way to openly communicate with each other (even those you disagree with), and it needed a metaphor to discuss the change in what relationships mean (in a number of different ways) as you grow up. I think it would be a significantly worse show if it didn't have that aspect.

I really don't agree with the whole "you're sexualising children if you create a situation in which teenagers have to address their feelings re: adolescence and sexuality" take, and in fact personally find it really incredibly tiring. There are clear and obvious differences between the kind of shows that use sexualised imagery of teenagers solely to titillate their viewers and those that where it forms part of a larger discussion.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Like legit, I was totes all about learning more about Rose and now I’m like “Rose you COMPLETE AND UTTER FUCKBOY”

• Options
    Variable wrote: »

Wow okay.
    You just need to agree with more posts and be a gay man.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    All my exposure to Steve Universe comes from chat.

So all my exposure to it as basically erotic fan art

Or I assume that's what it is. Maybe it's actually from the game/series/comic/MP3 only rock opera

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
This discussion has been closed.