Options

The Ritual is [Chat]

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    Fusion is used as a clear metaphor for sex/sexuality/romance enough times that I am a bit weirded out by - no, not Stevonnie (they're both teenagers and around the same age, so sure, fuse away, just make sure to use protection) – but some of the other Steven fusions

And, yeah, yeah, I know what everyone says in response to this, "it can also be a metaphor for completely non-sexual intimacy", I still think maybe they should've just not gone there. Although I'm sure the fan pressure to see what every possible fusion looks like was enormous
    I don't agree. The show is explicitly a coming of age story about trying to find a way to openly communicate with each other (even those you disagree with), and it needed a metaphor to discuss the change in what relationships mean (in a number of different ways) as you grow up. I think it would be a significantly worse show if it didn't have that aspect.

I really don't agree with the whole "you're sexualising children if you create a situation in which teenagers have to address their feelings re: adolescence and sexuality" take, and in fact personally find it really incredibly tiring. There are clear and obvious differences between the kind of shows that use sexualised imagery of teenagers solely to titillate their viewers and those that where it forms part of a larger discussion.

right, but the counter point is that fusion has been used more for sexual communication than other forms. It’s clear Steveonnie and Streg were not sexual and more about caring for each other.

But we’ve seen it used a lot between Ruby/Sapphire, Pearl/Rose, Pearl/Garnet in a more “this is definitely romantic and we’re taking it there” way. Especially when Garnet gets upset about Pearl lying to her about their reason for fusion. It’s shown as a clear violation of consent beyond the mere “you lied to me as a friend” and more like “you slept with me under false pretenses”

We need a fucking Steven Universe thread.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Fusion is used as a clear metaphor for sex/sexuality/romance enough times that I am a bit weirded out by - no, not Stevonnie (they're both teenagers and around the same age, so sure, fuse away, just make sure to use protection) – but some of the other Steven fusions

And, yeah, yeah, I know what everyone says in response to this, "it can also be a metaphor for completely non-sexual intimacy", I still think maybe they should've just not gone there. Although I'm sure the fan pressure to see what every possible fusion looks like was enormous
    I don't agree. The show is explicitly a coming of age story about trying to find a way to openly communicate with each other (even those you disagree with), and it needed a metaphor to discuss the change in what relationships mean (in a number of different ways) as you grow up. I think it would be a significantly worse show if it didn't have that aspect.

I really don't agree with the whole "you're sexualising children if you create a situation in which teenagers have to address their feelings re: adolescence and sexuality" take, and in fact personally find it really incredibly tiring. There are clear and obvious differences between the kind of shows that use sexualised imagery of teenagers solely to titillate their viewers and those that where it forms part of a larger discussion.

The camera explicitly male gazes them. This kind of thing is criticised when used on adults.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    Mim wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    I love you so much, mortal kombat
    and youtube political nerds
    and penny-arcade chat (at least wandering and casual eddy)

Wow okay.
    You just need to agree with more posts and be a gay man.

Sometimes I feel like a gay man.

Actually a bi man. I objectify the shit out of everyone and if I had a dick I’d be in jail.

Thank god Strapons are expensive

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It is raining. Pumpkin spiced latte weather.

• Options
    I’m making a barebones Steven Universe thread until I can finish my chores and like update the OP accordingly.

I also need to make a Downton Abbey and Handmaids Tale threads...

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Greedfall continues to be Colonialism the game. Just the natives are like a weird offshoot of the Irish and I am not sure a few trees?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I think there is one already Mim, it's just deep in the high page numbers.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Like legit, I was totes all about learning more about Rose and now I’m like “Rose you COMPLETE AND UTTER FUCKBOY”
    Please,

The preferred term is fuckboi

• Options

Fuck, my thread is gonna get closed.

• Options
    Sorry mods, my bad

• Options
    There’s definitely one in, you know, that other subforum

• Options
    Like legit, I was totes all about learning more about Rose and now I’m like “Rose you COMPLETE AND UTTER FUCKBOY”
    Please,

My apologies.

Is Fuckboi more gender neutral? Cause I know some girl fuckbois.

• Options

The one in the shadow realm?

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

Fuck, my thread is gonna get closed.

Nah. It's better to have a refresh sometimes than to necro a buried thread

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Sounds like Rose Quartz got the James Potter treatment

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Ah you're right, I think I was thinking of the one in the bad place.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Old threads are heavy with the ghosts of posters past

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Fusion suffers from the same metaphor issue that “magic” does in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Sometimes it was just a spell, then it became about lesbian sex and then it became about drugs. WHAT THE FUCK WAS IT WHEDON?!

Fusion takes on serious meaning for some gems and not much for others, but then it muddies the waters. Like Pearl and Rose were obviously fucking, but (SU: Movie Spoiler)
    Steven and his dad?!

Look some spells have a lesbian sex component

and everyone knows magic drugs are better than other drugs.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I need to pee but I don’t want to get up cause my dog is cuddling me

• Options
    Sounds like Rose Quartz got the James Potter treatment

See but it seemed like James was fucked up to prop up Snape as a secret good guy.

Who is Rose propping up?

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Fusion suffers from the same metaphor issue that “magic” does in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Sometimes it was just a spell, then it became about lesbian sex and then it became about drugs. WHAT THE FUCK WAS IT WHEDON?!

Fusion takes on serious meaning for some gems and not much for others, but then it muddies the waters. Like Pearl and Rose were obviously fucking, but (SU: Movie Spoiler)
    Steven and his dad?!

See but then with Willow it was like “oh, is she having sex with Rack? Is she addicted to sex? What is going on?” Until she got high and then we were like “well this metaphor is fucked”

They really should have left it as just being magic. They could’ve hinted at her and Tara in other ways (and did) successfully.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I read the SE movie and tv threads even though I don't watch movies and tv.

• Options

Steven and his dad?!

See but then with Willow it was like “oh, is she having sex with Rack? Is she addicted to sex? What is going on?” Until she got high and then we were like “well this metaphor is fucked”

They really should have left it as just being magic. They could’ve hinted at her and Tara in other ways (and did) successfully.

I though the was pretty much just a magic drug dealer and it wasn't really sex but it has also been like a decade since I've watched it

• Options

Agree with you re: the second paragraph. just not sure about the first paragraph. Will mull it over the next time I watch thru the show

• Options
    I’m gonna go fold my shirts the konmari way

Wish me luck my adderall has kicked innnnn

• Options

Steven and his dad?!

I though the was pretty much just a magic drug dealer and it wasn't really sex but it has also been like a decade since I've watched it

Yeah but he said she tasted like strawberries

I don’t think homie was talking about her aura

• Options
    edited September 2019
    I’m gonna call my vagina my aura now

Mim on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    I'm glad I grew up in the 80s, where there was no internet so nobody went around musing on whether Starscream wanted Megatron's cock. Blue lasers, red lasers and explosions, that was it.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It is raining. Pumpkin spiced latte weather.

McDonald's actually has that and a pumpkin pie.

• Options
    Please,

My apologies.

(I was not being serious! but yes, my impression is that “boi” is often used to refer to women)

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I’m gonna call my vagina my aura now

As a skilled aura reader,

• Options

Steven and his dad?!

He also bolted her to the ceiling with magic and "explored her mind" in a literal magical sense

So I think it was her aura.

Also dark willow gave me nightmares, she was scary as shit.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Also I’m gonna ask my doc to up my adderall from 10mg to whatever is the next step. My attention is better but I’m still easily distracted. I did test out taking two 10mg and that was focus. I got 8 hours of interviews I gotta do 4 days a week? Yeah I’m gonna need serious attention help

Mim on
  • Options

Steven and his dad?!

He also bolted her to the ceiling with magic and "explored her mind" in a literal magical sense

So I think it was her aura.

Also dark willow gave me nightmares, she was scary as shit.

I relate the most to Willow as a character, and Dark Willow made the most sense to me. The drug shit didn’t but her turn did. I feel like that would be me should I lose the one thing that mattered most to me in the world.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think my friend was vaping pumpkin spice last night.

• Options
    Please,

My apologies.

(I was not being serious! but yes, my impression is that “boi” is often used to refer to women)

I’m just gonna use fuckboi to cover all the genders. I’m getting old and need to simplify dammit

• Options
    RonTheDMRonTheDM Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I feel like a Steven Universe thread is basically an anime thread

• Options

It isn’t, don’t put that in the atmosphere!

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Don't we have half a dozen threads about specific series floating about?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
This discussion has been closed.