Options

The Ritual is [Chat]

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Oh lame it was just a rock dick well jeez.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    Based on her Twitter account, Gillian Anderson might be my spirit animal

Not linking to the tweet that inspired this post because it's a little bit NSFW

Man talk about two things that'll get me too look up that twitter immediately.

It sure is a hashtag.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Work out in the buff as the romans would.

Gods, someday I'll have a home gym

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    I'll probably be able to cobble something together out off stuff I don't fit into anymore, but I'm gonna be risking showing off the goods the whole time I'm doing squats.

Wear dirty gym clothes! Yeah there's a preexisting musk, but then when they get hella stank it'll be so satisfying to finally wash them. Literally no one will know or care if you're on second day gym clothes.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I think there's two different modes for venting, between personal and online:

Personal venting is, by definition, personal, so it's just governed by the normal rules of social interaction. If you like someone you might charitably hear them out without providing a response - which is emotional labor - or you might condition your being that venting target on being able to solicit advice, or you might not be willing to hear them out at all.

Online, unless you've specifically addressed your venting to someone, you're just kind of venting into the room, right? I was going to say the void, but it's not -- there are people there who may be more or less invested in your wellbeing, which is why you've directed your complaint there and not a pillow. And you've spread that little bit of emotional labor between all your audience. You shouldn't expect a response, but you don't owe a response in turn to someone who wants to engage with what you threw down.

Online is always a double edged sword, because we're not face to face. Not everyone knows your personal story, not everyone cares, not everyone knows your intentions or implications, not everyone cares. But if you just dump into a room, you will, more often than not, get something back whether you want it or not.

Think of all the times someone has said something, even in chat, that may have been a thing that landed well with their friends based on some personal context they all shared but immediately got dogpiled or ignored because it was awful. We've likely all personally dealt with it at least once.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I'll probably be able to cobble something together out off stuff I don't fit into anymore, but I'm gonna be risking showing off the goods the whole time I'm doing squats.

Wear dirty gym clothes! Yeah there's a preexisting musk, but then when they get hella stank it'll be so satisfying to finally wash them. Literally no one will know or care if you're on second day gym clothes.

I frequently know and care that someone is on second day gym clothes! You even said there’s a musk! What!

sig.gif
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I think there's two different modes for venting, between personal and online:

Personal venting is, by definition, personal, so it's just governed by the normal rules of social interaction. If you like someone you might charitably hear them out without providing a response - which is emotional labor - or you might condition your being that venting target on being able to solicit advice, or you might not be willing to hear them out at all.

Online, unless you've specifically addressed your venting to someone, you're just kind of venting into the room, right? I was going to say the void, but it's not -- there are people there who may be more or less invested in your wellbeing, which is why you've directed your complaint there and not a pillow. And you've spread that little bit of emotional labor between all your audience. You shouldn't expect a response, but you shouldn't also *not* expect a response, but you don't owe a response in turn to someone who wants to engage with what you threw down. Differently from personal venting though, you can't not opt-out of the conversation. Sure, you can avoid participating in it, but same as politics, it's there in the room.

Yeah, sometimes I'll vent here because I'm looking for sympathy, but there is literally nothing anyone here can do about any of the horseshit that's happening in my life, so it's very much not expected that anyone will respond. Sometimes you just want to be heard, though, and I only have one friend who I can confide in, and it's not fair to put all that on her every time, so I rely on [chat] to pick up the slack.

• Options

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Yeah well you lead me here burnage. I'll never forget this betrayal.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

I frequently know and care that someone is on second day gym clothes! You even said there’s a musk! What!

*Lunk alarm*

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17KmNrG9pE4

• Options

*Lunk alarm*

that scared the shit out of me when it got set off by someone at PF

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

Hoo boy do I sweat way too hard to live this life. Which really was one of the things I thought I'd stop having trouble with after losing a shit load of weight, but it turns out nah, I just sweat like a river doesn't matter how big or small I am.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

*Lunk alarm*

The existence of this thing is fucking baffling!

sig.gif
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17KmNrG9pE4

Yes this is the right amount of poutrage I feel right now Elendil.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

*Lunk alarm*

they had it right next to the row machine and I guess someone accidentally dropped a weight and then I couldn't hear for like 5 minutes

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Wait planet fitness really does that? Do they kick them out?

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I thought the lunk alarm was a dumb thing they came up with for an ad and there's no way they'd have real ones, especially not ones set up to go off automatically.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The key to personal venting is to leave the elevator before the smell hits

• Options
    edited September 2019

*Lunk alarm*

its not really when you realize that Planet Fitness has more members than they do positions to work out at any given gym. They make money on people not being there, so something that literally scares you into not exercising for fear of doing it too much is perfect.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Wait planet fitness really does that? Do they kick them out?

The point is to socially ostracize those dudes at the gym in the really thin tank tops who are drinking from a gallon jug of water and high fiving each other while grunting as loud as possible

what it really does is make loud noises whenever someone makes any sort of noise while exercising to let them know "HEY NO NOISES" (some of them are automatic the one at my gym had a person push a button when they heard a noise).

• Options
    They are real, and they do go off sometimes. I haven't heard it lately but yeah, if you're slamming weights or being a goose it goes off. I don't know if the person gets kicked out though. Seems like public humiliation is the solution.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Why not simply repress your feelings, and bury them so deep inside you that they die, withered away from sunlight?

Do you mean to tell me that isn't the only way to deal with things?

There's getting blackout drunk

I think that comes after repressing feelings, and helps drown them for good measure

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Weights are heavy, yo. I, Landshark, do hereby decree this is a dumb idea.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    turns out that those muscle guys love fitness and like to help people a ton too, so making them feel unwelcome is a bad thing

some of them are like the bill dauterive king of the hill type though

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

if your gym clothes have a musk, get him to buy you your own gym

on mars

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    planet fitness announces availability of free workout burka

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    If you can't put the weight down properly it's too much weight for you to lift safely

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Why not simply repress your feelings, and bury them so deep inside you that they die, withered away from sunlight?

Ah yes, the grand British tradition.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    I thought the lunk alarm was a dumb thing they came up with for an ad and there's no way they'd have real ones, especially not ones set up to go off automatically.

I think it’s not only real but they have a poster saying that a lunk is someone who grunts or drops weights or judges

sig.gif
  • Options

I think that comes after repressing feelings, and helps drown them for good measure

I like to ART
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I wouldn't say no to a gym dress code that enforced no uncovered nipples.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Look I'm gonna be loud im lifting up 365 fuckin pounds over here. All im gonna do in response to an alarm that echoes my success is treat it like the buzzer on a hockey net.

Sleep on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I wouldn't say no to a gym dress code that enforced no uncovered nipples.

new dress code: no covered nipples. universally enforced

you don't want chafing

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    If you can't put the weight down properly it's too much weight for you to lift safely

Well you might be straining for 3x8 instead of 8/8/7 and fail or something

you’re not necessarily dropping it on the first rep of the first set

sig.gif
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

I feel personally attacked

• Options
    For me I'd just want a gym with good clean equipment and functioning machines. This whole obsession with what other people are doing at the gym is a bit silly.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Kamiro wrote: »

ehhhhhhhhhhhh

there are some dumbbell exercises where once you get up in weight, the safest thing to do is drop them on the ground. something like dumbbell bench press where you use your legs to boost it up into position

you'll probably be fine not doing those though for general/casual fitness, which is what PF is trying to court

• Options
    edited September 2019

I feel personally attacked

If I keep going in this manner it will turn into a bit and I might get in trouble, but please see above

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
This discussion has been closed.