As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Foreign Policy] Iran Response: Missile strikes US Al-Assad, Kirbil base in Iraq pg 90

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Tim Cook stood right next to Trump and let him lie his fat ass off about that factory in Texas. That factory opened in 2013 and makes more than just Apple products and Trump said that he was presiding over the grand opening of that Apple exclusive factory and that the only reason Apple could open a factory there was because of his Presidency.

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Gaddez wrote: »
    It occurs to me that if Democrats were both clever and careful with how they handled it, they could craft campaign adds on how trump has undermined both the dignity and the discipline of the US armed forces.

A lot of the enlisted don't care, and the officer corps iirc was already slightly democrat-leaning
    A lot of the public think it's totally badass that AMERICAN WARRIORS have the BALLS to do WHAT IT TAKES
    SUPPORT
    OUR
    TROOPS

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Apple changes Crimea map to meet Russian demands.
    Apple has complied with Russian demands to show the annexed Crimean peninsula as part of Russian territory on its apps.

Russian forces annexed Crimea from Ukraine in March 2014, drawing international condemnation.

The region, which has a Russian-speaking majority, is now shown as Russian territory on Apple Maps and its Weather app, when viewed from Russia.

But the apps do not show it as part of any country when viewed elsewhere.

The article goes on to state recognizing Crimea as a part of Ukraine is a crime under Russian law. Even though nearly no other nations recognize the annexation of the Crimean peninsula as legal.

Google and other companies don't label the area either way according to the article.

Is this where we're at? We wait for corporations to recognize and reinforce borders and just go along with it?

Should the United States responsibility be to tell Apple that recognizing Ukrainian soil as Russian owned by annexation a violation of international borders treaties and if they would like to do business in the United States they can comply or get the fuck out?

God this would be the best

At the very least people need to start protesting apple over this

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    It occurs to me that if Democrats were both clever and careful with how they handled it, they could craft campaign adds on how trump has undermined both the dignity and the discipline of the US armed forces.

A lot of the enlisted don't care, and the officer corps iirc was already slightly democrat-leaning
    A lot of the public think it's totally badass that AMERICAN WARRIORS have the BALLS to do WHAT IT TAKES
    SUPPORT
    OUR
    TROOPS

A lot of military members simply see this administration as a bunch of inept clowns (led by King Clown Shoes) and a joke not to be taken too seriously. They simply want to keep their noses to the grindstone and try to do their jobs the best they can given their situation without politics getting in the way. It could translate to fewer votes altogether in the next election rather than votes for the other side of the aisle; it's just hard to say at this point in time.

But I feel the other piece of the puzzle are those lifelong career civil servants (aka agents of the Deep State that Trump and his cronies keep harping on about) who also work in if not closely with the Department of Defense and military members. My own ex-boss, a GS-13 retired from active duty, expressed deep regret voting for Trump in the last election after all of the shenanigans he's pulled so far and continues to pull.

The military arm of the intelligence community, in particular, have no love for Trump given his numerous pushbacks of reality and betrayals just as his betrayal of the Kurds and disastrous strategy of pulling our forces out of Syria have soured a lot of the higher up military brass to this administration.

Trump realized he done fucked up there with both instances and, in a desperate bid to win back the favor of the rank-and-file military, he decided to adopt a Navy SEAL war criminal and blatantly use him as his personal reelection campaign prop while pissing off the higher up military brass even more and, of course, distracting from the impeachment inquiries.

The smarter folks in the military will see through the smokescreen and realize what he's really doing but the less educated will probably fall for it, sad to say.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Tim Cook stood right next to Trump and let him lie his fat ass off about that factory in Texas. That factory opened in 2013 and makes more than just Apple products and Trump said that he was presiding over the grand opening of that Apple exclusive factory and that the only reason Apple could open a factory there was because of his Presidency.

He was meant to start contradicting the President in the middle of his grand speech? That seems self-destructive, especially since the President is a thin-skinned baby.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

He was meant to start contradicting the President in the middle of his grand speech? That seems self-destructive, especially since the President is a thin-skinned baby.

What was Trump gonna do, deck him?
    It's not like angry tweets would materially hurt Apple either.

Calica on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

Hold a grudge and not give him whatever tax breaks/military contracts he was hoping for.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Trump fucked Amazon out of a multibillion dollar deal that went to Microsoft, so yeah capitalists are gonna capitulate

• Options
    Imagine having more money than you could possibly spend in a dozen lifetimes and still craving more.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Spencer (ousted Secnav) wrote an op-ed about what was happening behind the scenes with Gallagher, and closed with a plea for our allies to:
    [P]lease bear with us as we move through this moment in time.

A former official saying this out loud and on the record struck me as a particularly grim reminder of how fucked up things have become.

While I can appreciate people choosing to remain silent out of the desire not to add to the international perception that we're going full Lord of Flies over here, it's nice to be reminded that the people on the inside can see it too.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

It's not like angry tweets would materially hurt Apple either.

Trump put tariffs on China because he thought it would tax the Chinese.

I think the issue is who the fuck knows what he would do.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Trump signed the Hong Kong bill, by the by.

So expect a lot of hemming and hawing about how this is terrible because there'll be a dip in the stock market on trade deal worries and that's all that matters.

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    I always love the stories of people who regret voting for Trump. Like, he hasn't changed, he's exactly the guy you voted in. What did you expect? What did you want that you aren't getting?

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »
    I always love the stories of people who regret voting for Trump. Like, he hasn't changed, he's exactly the guy you voted in. What did you expect? What did you want that you aren't getting?

A thing I saw a lot of at the time was, if you put together everything Trump said, he made a lot of contradictory statements. Sometimes he's lying both times, sometimes he told the truth but then needed to walk it back when he was talking to someone outside the right wing bubble. From this, a ton of people picked and choose what his "real positions" were. Anything they agreed with was him telling the truth, anything they didn't like was just pandering. I'm pretty sure I saw a comparison of two different Trump supporters who were supporting two completely different Trumps.

In some cases it comes down to ignorance, people weren't paying attention and just picked up a few things that happened to align with them. But there was and is a ton of self-delusion going on when it comes to all that picking and choosing what to believe.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Seems like a lot of people are saying/thinking/hoping "This too shall pass, just stay the course, it'll get better soon."

Thing is, there's no actual guarantee of that. Or, if it does, that it won't all happen again in four years, or eight, or...

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »

A thing I saw a lot of at the time was, if you put together everything Trump said, he made a lot of contradictory statements. Sometimes he's lying both times, sometimes he told the truth but then needed to walk it back when he was talking to someone outside the right wing bubble. From this, a ton of people picked and choose what his "real positions" were. Anything they agreed with was him telling the truth, anything they didn't like was just pandering. I'm pretty sure I saw a comparison of two different Trump supporters who were supporting two completely different Trumps.

In some cases it comes down to ignorance, people weren't paying attention and just picked up a few things that happened to align with them. But there was and is a ton of self-delusion going on when it comes to all that picking and choosing what to believe.

Also, remember there are quite a few people who don't follow politics, like AT ALL. No debates, no rallies, no stump speeches, nothing. So they were going off what was "known" about Trump. That he was a successful real estate tycoon, and that he was what his persona was on The Apprentice. And it was him, or it was Hillary, who the media were portraying as sinister.

It's easy to forget how little attention low-information voters pay to pretty much everything. Some might have known about the wall, and making America great again, but I'd bet large that the margin of error of Trump voters couldn't name a single position he had on another policy (even when he was on both sides of that position.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Scooter wrote: »

Also, remember there are quite a few people who don't follow politics, like AT ALL. No debates, no rallies, no stump speeches, nothing. So they were going off what was "known" about Trump. That he was a successful real estate tycoon, and that he was what his persona was on The Apprentice. And it was him, or it was Hillary, who the media were portraying as sinister.

It's easy to forget how little attention low-information voters pay to pretty much everything. Some might have known about the wall, and making America great again, but I'd bet large that the margin of error of Trump voters couldn't name a single position he had on another policy (even when he was on both sides of that position.

Quick side note: It's not just that the media was portraying Clinton as sinister. It's that they'd been portraying her as sinister (and also power hungry and also immoral and also a bad mother and also a horrible person for staying with her husband and also and also and also) for the better part of two decades.

It's unfair, and it's reprehensible bullshit, but the media has piled more baggage on the Clintons, and Hillary especially, than Delta handles in a year.

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Seems like a lot of people are saying/thinking/hoping "This too shall pass, just stay the course, it'll get better soon."

Thing is, there's no actual guarantee of that. Or, if it does, that it won't all happen again in four years, or eight, or...

Indeed. Trump has I think put the nail in the coffin of the way federal politics used to work in the US, if it ever did. He has exposed the massive holes in the system that open up if you have no shame and just do what you want. And I'll bet good money someone on the right is taking notes and thinking "next time we'll do it right". If that person isn't stopped you'll be Turkey in 20-30 years. I'm not sure how you stop it, but I sure hope you do.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    On Trump and the intelligence community, the contempt is vastly mutual.

"We ain't letting a bunch of spooks with weak chins and pantsuit c***s tell us what to do".

And yes, what most people think of Hillary Clinton is: "She's a soulless power hungry monster that stayed with her rapist husband because her political career couldn't sustain on it's own" and has been like that for the last two decades. Hell, even I think that is not exactly inaccurate.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Please talk about US foreign policy and not unsourced, aggregated opinions about Hillary Clinton.

• Options
    Ok then. On the Hong Kong protests, Trump signs law backing them despite Xi's complaints:
    President Donald Trump has signed two bills supporting the Hong Kong protesters into law on Wednesday, despite Beijing’s repeated objections.

“I signed these bills out of respect for President Xi, China, and the people of Hong Kong. They are being enacted in the hope that Leaders and Representatives of China and Hong Kong will be able to amicably settle their differences leading to long term peace and prosperity for all,” Trump said in a statement released by the White House.

Trump signed the bills as he tries to reach a “phase one” trade deal with Beijing, which has repeatedly condemned the legislation as meddling in its domestic affairs. Hours later, China issued statements slamming the bills, saying they highlight the “sinister intentions and hegemonic nature of the United States,” according to a CNBC translation.

On Thursday morning local time, the Hong Kong government “expressed strong opposition” to the bills becoming law and said it “extremely regrets the U.S. repeatedly ignoring Hong Kong’s concern regarding the two bills,” according to a CNBC translation.

“These two bills are an obvious intervention of Hong Kong’s internal affairs, they are unnecessary and without grounds, they will also harm the relationship and interests between Hong Kong and the U.S.,” the government said in a statement.

A government spokesman also said the bills will send the “wrong message” to protesters, “providing no help to ease Hong Kong’s situation.”

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I guess China isn't paying their tariffs?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I guess China isn't paying their tariffs?

I am guessing McConell told him they would Override the veto.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Ok, I'm confused with this secretary of the navy thing. The guy that got fired was one of the ones that was threatening to resign correct? But he was fired for secret white house communications in which he was saying the disgraced seal would keep his pin? Do I have this right? Because I'm confused as hell which is probably what the gop want.

And fuck this seal he discredits people.who serve honorably.

• Options
    He didn’t want Trump to interfere with the final review process on whether or not he’d get to keep it.

He said that if Trump didn’t interfere then he would let him keep it if whatever navy board was making that decision decided he could.

Trump interfered.
    They fired the Navy Secretary for even bringing it up.
    He got to keep it.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    This is some next level horseshit; Like, the guy straight up murdered a POW and should by all rights be cooling his heels in Levensworth for 25-life.

• Options
    His own team members apparently altered his sniper rifle so he couldn’t as easily kill people for no reason and even fired warning shots in situations where they thought he was going to.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Surprise! Trump's in Afghanistan for Thanksgiving.

I wish he was the usual lazy fuck and just stayed home because he has to be there for a meeting with Taliban leaders and no good can come of that.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I'm not gonna lie, I'm kind of amazed that trump would travel to afghanistan since it's not exactly up to his usual decadent standards.

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    nawp

Tumin on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I'm not gonna lie, I'm kind of amazed that trump would travel to afghanistan since it's not exactly up to his usual decadent standards.

'Trump/Taliban Championship Links'

• Options
    His own team members apparently altered his sniper rifle so he couldn’t as easily kill people for no reason and even fired warning shots in situations where they thought he was going to.

...wow. How long before he murders somebody stateside, do you think?

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular

Pretty unlikely- he's already started getting facetime in conservative media including Fox. He's not going to jeopardise that gravy train.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019

You mean how long until we find his first US victim?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

As long as the melanin content of the victim's skin is above a certain arbitrary level he'll get away with it.

This isn't going off topic; this is basically American policy now, foreign and domestic.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »

As long as the melanin content of the victim's skin is above a certain arbitrary level he'll get away with it.

This isn't going off topic; this is basically American policy now, foreign and domestic.

I think we've identified the person next most likely to head up DHS, ICE or CBP.

All of whom are currently on "Acting" roles.

Again, it needs to be pointed out how lazy and unattractive (to prospectives) this Administration is. You put anyone even remotely qualified, and halfway unobjectionable, up for those positions, and they get rubberstamped by the feckless Senate. That they haven't had a head of DHS or CBP since April (and both are on their second Acting), and have not had a confirmed Director of ICE since his inauguration.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

I mean this is the whole bullshit thing about all of this. There's some fucked up narrative that this guy is one of the hard men doing hard things, but the reality is he was a liability and danger to those who served with him, if not an active threat (the Australian SAS is currently going through something similar where the problems were exactly the same - that the guy who kept wanting to commit war crimes also threatened and bullied other service members to keep doing it and to cover it up).

The members of special forces units are not being protected or aided in their mission by these individuals being allowed to get away with war crimes.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Soviet cruelty couldn't dominate the Middle East and the Republicans somehow believe that they can.

• Options
    That said, this is NOT about troop effectiveness, is about Trump having another human prop on a campaign rally.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

What the fuck is wrong with our military? They all knew he was a war criminal piece of shit and they kept him out there to keep committing war crimes? His whole chain of command should be purged.

Stabbity_Style.png
This discussion has been closed.