As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Foreign Policy] Iran Response: Missile strikes US Al-Assad, Kirbil base in Iraq pg 90

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »

I apologize for being blunt to the point of ridiculousness but I honestly think a few rogue nukes in the hands of America's enemies or someone unknown is the best scenario at this goddamn point because I think that will make enough voters care about American foreign policy and what Trump has done to it to force republicans in congress to turn on Trump.

they won't care

and if worse comes to worst, and a nuclear weapon is used against us or our 'allies', the gop will blame clinton or obama and there we are

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Saw a story that turkish forces raped and stoned a woman. Yep we're fast walking atrocities while the president golfs and blames shit on others.

Standing army enters war, devolves into crimes against humanity within 24 hours.

How hard would it be to create a NATO2 and enroll all members except Turkey?

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

After defeating 100% of the ISIS Caliphate, I largely moved our troops out of Syria. Let Syria and Assad protect the Kurds and fight Turkey for their own land. I said to my Generals, why should we be fighting for Syria....

....and Assad to protect the land of our enemy? Anyone who wants to assist Syria in protecting the Kurds is good with me, whether it is Russia, China, or Napoleon Bonaparte. I hope they all do great, we are 7,000 miles away!

Some people want the United States to protect the 7,000 mile away Border of Syria, presided over by Bashar al-Assad, our enemy. At the same time, Syria and whoever they chose to help, wants naturally to protect the Kurds....

....I would much rather focus on our Southern Border which abuts and is part of the United States of America. And by the way, numbers are way down and the WALL is being built!
    Can someone explain the Napoleon reference???

Couscous on
  • Options
    can you sum them up please, they don't load for me

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I killed ISIS 100% blah Not our home, so not our responsibility blah blah China Russia or Napoleon should defend Kurds blah blah southern Border. BTW, THE WALL

• Options
    ahh, the usual, thanks

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I don't really see Russian or Iranian forces getting involved outside of maybe special forces or air assets in Russia's case. Neither of them have the force projection that the US has, they can't field a significant fighting force anywhere they don't share a border with. Definitely not anything big enough to stand up to the Turkish army in a conventional fight. Turkey knows this, which is why they are attacking the second US troops are out of the way.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    I don't really see Russian or Iranian forces getting involved outside of maybe special forces or air assets in Russia's case. Neither of them have the force projection that the US has, they can't field a significant fighting force anywhere they don't share a border with. Definitely not anything big enough to stand up to the Turkish army in a conventional fight. Turkey knows this, which is why they are attacking the second US troops are out of the way.

... and sometimes before that.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »

I apologize for being blunt to the point of ridiculousness but I honestly think a few rogue nukes in the hands of America's enemies or someone unknown is the best scenario at this goddamn point because I think that will make enough voters care about American foreign policy and what Trump has done to it to force republicans in congress to turn on Trump.

Republicans in congress have been fine with trump just shitting all over america's allies, giving various dictators and enemies/rivals a rub and tug and blind firing tariffs in every direction for years. I don't see this flipping them.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Which basically means that Putin has an effective veto on US foreign policy, if Congress will not hold the puppet accountable.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Whelp, that's interesting. Maybe "the president is a coward" will be the out they have been looking for to go through with impeachment.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    His letter implies we haven't already done that and that the damage isn't already irreversible. Both of those things are fucking lies.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
    His letter implies we haven't already done that and that the damage isn't already irreversible. Both of those things are fucking lies.

Yeah, this just reads like more CYA nothingness so they can point to it and say 'See?? We strongly disagree!'

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    That's the interesting part. Trump can't possibly meet his olive branch, so he's setting him up to fail in that regard.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Yeah, after Sen. Graham was shown to be pretty two-faced on this issue, I will require actual action before any of these cowards gets even the slightest bit of credit for trying. Plus, McConnell is even more invertebrate than Graham.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Like, Mitch is probably one of the only people in DC right now who could possibly make trump redeploy troops to Syria as peacekeepers by saying to Trump "Listen you gormless borsht eating coward You may not give anymore of a fuck about kurds then me, but you're pissing off the army and that's pissing off their families and that's making congressmen and senators you need nervous, so either you fix this or I signal to pelosi and schiff that I'm fine with impeachment as long as we get to keep pence in the oval office."

Gaddez on
  • Options
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Like, Mitch is probably one of the only people in DC right now who could possibly make trump redeploy troops to Syria as peacekeepers by saying to Trump "Listen you gormless borsht eating coward You may not give anymore of a fuck about kurds then me, but you're pissing off the army and that's pissing off their families and that's making congressmen and senators you need nervous, so either you fix this or I signal to pelosi and schiff that I'm fine with impeachment as long as we get to keep pence in the oval office."

any group of 4 republican senators could make trump do anything by threatening to vote with democrats or simply not vote at all. but that would require them to have morals and spines.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Saw a story that turkish forces raped and stoned a woman. Yep we're fast walking atrocities while the president golfs and blames shit on others.

Standing army enters war, devolves into crimes against humanity within 24 hours.

How hard would it be to create a NATO2 and enroll all members except Turkey?

That doesn't even make sense. Turkey aren't in NATO because of tradition. They are strategically valuable.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Would be par for the course if the GOP turns on Trump by calling him a traitor. It does actually play with their shit base and it's worth remember a ton of them subscribe to toxic masculinity and think the shit leadership that is strongman authoritarianism is what leaders should have. Neither one of those things looks kindly on cowardice. Throw in the fact that while a large chunk of the elected GOP have nothing by disdain for military service, there is a reason they play up the jingoism and pretend to love the troops because a fair chunk of their base does look fondly on military service and IIRC active duty service personnel were already souring on Trump and I suspect this is going to hurt him further with them and probably decent chunk of veterans.

Plus, as idiotic as republicans tend to be in regards to foreign policy. Even the non-tea party asshats within the party, IIRC still a decent chunk in the Senate, probably realize that Trump's bullshit is diminishing an aspect of US credibility that they've been profiting off of and he isn't getting it replaced with anything better. I mean, yeah a ton of the fuckers hate diplomacy, but they fully get how the military aspect of things can make a pretty penny and that's something they care about.

We'll see if the GOP actually does something, but this probably an area where a smarter person would be really worried because it does give the GOP a possible out they can use to completely cut Trump off. Trump's shit only works with the base as long as he can portray himself as being strong and the weaklings given in to the democrats. If he gets hammered as an unpatriotic coward, it gets much easier to memory hole him.

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »

any group of 4 republican senators could make trump do anything by threatening to vote with democrats or simply not vote at all. but that would require them to have morals and spines.

Sure, but if the majority leader does it then it's a whole different kettle of fish from 4 rando's.

Not that I expect Mitch to do anything other then lament trump's actions in a way that doesn't upset the base.

I'd link to a pic of a turtle pulling into it's shell at this point, but the mods got really mad last time even though it's the most apt metaphor for Mitch's behavior.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Can we just sanction Trump and his family for working against America's interests?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It's poignant so many times but so far there has not been a discovery of someone at the Trump admin secretly working to benefit america.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Can we just sanction Trump and his family for working against America's interests?

Speaking of which Trump* has now announced he is going to sign an executive order issuing sanctions against Turkey. So I've no idea what is going on - presumably this is the official Republican plan, and the Napolean stuff is all Trump's real feelings on this.

*or the official Trump phone.

Tastyfish on
  • Options

You can't sanction your own citizens.

Of course, you could concievably claim that they were seeking to undermine the nation as part of a criminal conspiracy and sieze their assets; The Mar-a-lago center for refugee integration does have a nice ring to it.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »

Speaking of which Trump* has now announced he is going to sign an executive order issuing sanctions against Turkey. So I've no idea what is going on.

Knee jerk reaction foreign policy.

It's about as good as it sounds.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Yup.

He got rolled on the phone and agreed to this without understanding what was going on and/or how people would react.

The reactions have been bad.

Now he's desperately trying to backtrack.

• Options
    Funny from the party that always shits on the UN for writing strongly worded letters in the face of genocide comes a strongly worded letter.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    Tastyfish wrote: »

Speaking of which Trump* has now announced he is going to sign an executive order issuing sanctions against Turkey. So I've no idea what is going on.

Knee jerk reaction foreign policy.

It's about as good as it sounds.

Yeah, though does have the inadvertently hilarious outcome that Trump has ended up inviting Erdowan just to then bar his entry to the US.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Trump putting sanctions on turkey just makes him look even more ridiculous because he agreed to this whole situation in the first place, he should put the sanctions on himself. He removed the bear trap and is now giving the bear ripping apart his friends a stern talking to and saying it won’t get desert. Turkey knows it can’t be stopped now, because trump can’t just move the 50 troops back, that’s not how a tripwire works, you can’t just wrap the tripwire around a moving enemy

The damage is done you empty sociopath

Prohass on
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    What a fucking catastrophe.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

After defeating 100% of the ISIS Caliphate, I largely moved our troops out of Syria. Let Syria and Assad protect the Kurds and fight Turkey for their own land. I said to my Generals, why should we be fighting for Syria....

....and Assad to protect the land of our enemy? Anyone who wants to assist Syria in protecting the Kurds is good with me, whether it is Russia, China, or Napoleon Bonaparte. I hope they all do great, we are 7,000 miles away!

Some people want the United States to protect the 7,000 mile away Border of Syria, presided over by Bashar al-Assad, our enemy. At the same time, Syria and whoever they chose to help, wants naturally to protect the Kurds....

....I would much rather focus on our Southern Border which abuts and is part of the United States of America. And by the way, numbers are way down and the WALL is being built!

Trump suffers from a Napoleon Complex?

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019

No, and you want to be careful about giving the state this power because there are certainly many, many more things people you agree with do which would "undermine America's interests" more than stepping outside of the largely bipartisan, establishment foreign policy framework.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Consider that there may be considerable disagreement what "America's interests" are, and that you don't want to open the door to being challenged for not seeking maximum (short-term) advantage in the same way that, e.g., a company's shareholders can challenge the board for not constantly seeking maximum return/profit (at the ultimate cost of destroying the company, the market, etc etc).

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    The "sanctions" from Trump are just going back to an earlier status quo on steel tariffs (Turkey only exports 5% of its steel to the US). Its a slap on the wrist lol.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Erdoğan played Trump like a fucking fiddle on that call

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Trump suffers from a Napoleon Complex?

More like Napoleon suffers from a Trump Complex.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

And trump is physically incapable of admitting it

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Nero couldn't have played it better.

This discussion has been closed.