As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Pokémon] Thread! Sword & Shield OUT NOW!!

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I miss co-op Battle Tree from SuMo. My friend and I had fun with that. Raids aren't the same.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    One of my favorite things about comp is that if you use off-meta Pokemon, you can still do quite well so long as you know how the game mechanics work. I have a mono-poison team that I've run with on Pokemon Showdown that does rather well in OU, despite most of the Pokemon definitely not being in the OU meta. I'm kinda sad that some staples of that team are not available in Sword/Shield (Nidoking and Venomoth especially) but I am glad for a few new friends to play around with like G-Weezing and Toxtricity.

This is me right now with my two teams I've been running on Showdowns VGC rules.

Team YELLING- which is all sound-based pokemon

Noivern, Rillaboom, Toxtricity, Seismitoad, Obstagoon, Sylveon

And a mono-bug team

Finally worked out the first one and just finished breeding it in the actual game and am excited to try it out. I used a non-EV/IV/right nature version of the team online a few weeks and had a decent win rate, and I've really worked it into a pretty cohesive team now.

Still trying to figure my Bug team out, but it seems to hinge around dynamax Durant with a life orb, Water bubble Araquanid, Centiskorch, and Imprison/Protect/Trick Room Orbeetle

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Holy butts dreepy is hard to catch.

I used something like 20 ultra balls, 5 premiers, 10 greats, 3 dusks and 5 other random balls just for the heck of it trying to catch that little bastard.

But I got it! Thanks to my SO being a good luck charm. She came home from work while I was trying and I was like "This little fucker will not stay in the pokeballs and it's driving me crazy!"

So she watched over my should and sure enough... it was captured.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i'm so close to completing my dex. this will be my first time doing so. i need a few more shield pokemon that i'm trying to convince my son to catch for me but he keeps giving me the side eye. I may have to beg up in here in another week if i fail to convince him its his moral obligation to get me that goomy/goodra

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    if you just wanna get the shield mons we all here have a ton to give

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Another glitch has been found that lets you force evolve things that aren't supposed to be evolve, like male salandits/combees, or the gigantamax eevee.
    If you use the last exp candy of a stack and press down at the exact same time, which pokemon is selected gets all the way fucked up and a bunch of cross-checks break. It gives exp to the wrong pokemon, and then can trigger evolution on yet another one. You can't have a male salazzle though. The gender changes. Gigantamax Umbreon (or whatever) also doesn't matter as the gigantamax is like Charmander in that it's specific to only a certain form.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Cruor wrote: »
    One of my favorite things about comp is that if you use off-meta Pokemon, you can still do quite well so long as you know how the game mechanics work. I have a mono-poison team that I've run with on Pokemon Showdown that does rather well in OU, despite most of the Pokemon definitely not being in the OU meta. I'm kinda sad that some staples of that team are not available in Sword/Shield (Nidoking and Venomoth especially) but I am glad for a few new friends to play around with like G-Weezing and Toxtricity.

This is me right now with my two teams I've been running on Showdowns VGC rules.

Team YELLING- which is all sound-based pokemon

Noivern, Rillaboom, Toxtricity, Seismitoad, Obstagoon, Sylveon

And a mono-bug team

Finally worked out the first one and just finished breeding it in the actual game and am excited to try it out. I used a non-EV/IV/right nature version of the team online a few weeks and had a decent win rate, and I've really worked it into a pretty cohesive team now.

Still trying to figure my Bug team out, but it seems to hinge around dynamax Durant with a life orb, Water bubble Araquanid, Centiskorch, and Imprison/Protect/Trick Room Orbeetle

@Arch Yo bro put your teams up for rent.

I have a Weezing, Cramorant, Snorlax, Centiskorch, Mimikyu, Ferrothorn doubles team that I am thoroughly enjoying so far but definitely still need to tweak a bit to make it really work. I'll put them up for rent as soon as I'm done tweaking them, though it centers around g-max snorlax so it's not ranked legal.

My winrate is a little lower than 50% but I'm still very much feeling it out, honestly the biggest thing that has allowed me to win so far has been G-Max Snorlax with Belly Drum just being straight-up overpowered. Unless there is a STAB fighting type to counter him he very quickly sweeps. I also have a soft Trick Room theme that I can pull out that really screws up teams with hard strategies.

Centiskorch is decisively awkward to use effectively. Right now I have him as kind of a weird mix of defensive and offensive, and he feels like he can't really commit to an offensive play-style without serious support. His best use is as a switch-in against a fire attack, but he can't stay on the field very long without getting hit by a rock or flying attack. I'm going to see if I can't figure out a way to build him even more tanky.

Cramorant is just great for whittling down the other player with Dive harassment and playing mind games, I wish I could figure out a good strategy to buff his attack because he's just slightly too easy to ignore. The number of times I have killed another Pokemon by hitting them in the face with a Pikachu makes him so worth it, though.

Ferrothorn has been underwhelming, but I think that's because I really need to put Leftovers and Leech Seed on him.

• Options
    if you just wanna get the shield mons we all here have a ton to give

i may break down soon (not that i really see this as a negative, i just feel like my son could contribute more to the family pokemoning). I've still got to pick up turtonator and one other i think on the sword side.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I still need a scorbunny and an apple, most of the others I've gotten randomly from surprise trades

Actually, would anyone be able to trade me a spare Leek for Farfetch'd? I don't think there's anyway to get one other than a wild Farfetch'd is holding it

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    JombalayaJombalaya Registered User regular
    I’m having some EV difficulties. When I send Zacian to speed school for a whole day it gives it 90 EVs. If I do that three times the speed EV should be maxed out right? But the game still lets me give it Carbos as if speed is not maxed out. What gives?

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    The max EVs in a stat is 255 (or effectively 252)

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    JombalayaJombalaya Registered User regular
    Right. My speed should be maxed out. But I can still give Zacian carbos.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    yeah i don't think it will stop you from using stat boosting thigns they just won't matter. like when i did my last 4 EV points by sending someone to hp school for an hour they came back and it said +12

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    It should

When I've EV trained with vitamins only, it stops me from feeding more than 26

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    I miss co-op Battle Tree from SuMo. My friend and I had fun with that. Raids aren't the same.

Agreed, I understand no longer supporting Triple and Rotation battles, but Multi Battles were always super fun.
    Turambar wrote: »
    It should

When I've EV trained with vitamins only, it stops me from feeding more than 26

Just to provide confirmation, when I've EV trained non-252 stats with vitamins, it will stop me at Max no matter where that is, ie 10, 15, 26, etc. They won't let you overfeed, which is awesome.
    Turambar wrote: »
    The max EVs in a stat is 255 (or effectively 252)

They actually modified it to max out at 252 nowadays, which is mostly unimportant but nice.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    It's really annoying that there's no bulk release option to get rid of the boxes and boxes of eevees I have. Let's Go had bulk release, and you got ev training candy in return, I want that here

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    <3 Caught a 5 IV Mirror Armor Gigantamax Corviknight. Speed isn't perfect, but it's not a fast pokemon anyways.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    <3 Caught a 5 IV Mirror Armor Gigantamax Corviknight. Speed isn't perfect, but it's not a fast pokemon anyways.

Bottle Caps!!!!

Just realized that I can go to the digging duo more than once per day....how wonderful, how blessed are we.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I keep sinking time into breeding good stuff, only to screw up somehow. Mostly cuz I forget to look up builds beforehand.

Unrelated: I have 2.5 boxes of non-HA Corsola.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    today is fog at the Lake of Outrage, which means Milotic and Sylveon.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Any day is whatever weather you want it to be. Just change your system date. You don't even need to close the game to change it. It auto updates when you switch back over.

• Options
    edited December 2019

Any day is whatever weather you want it to be. Just change your system date. You don't even need to close the game to change it. It auto updates when you switch back over.

my son experienced something odd with this yesterday. He was time hopping and an overworld mob (sylveon) at lake outrage that he had killed on a certain day did not spawn on any other days. going to see if it "fixes" itself today.

Pailryder on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    What weather is required for Umbreon? That's the only Eeveelution I'm missing.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    What weather is required for Umbreon? That's the only Eeveelution I'm missing.

Sandstorm.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, my Eeveelutions are complete as of this morning thanks to that. I'll have to be sure to snag Milotic too. Almost at 300 on the pokedex, but I'm running out of easy evolutions.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Is there a trick to finding Snorlax? I did finally manage to get some of the raids populated but I couldn't find a snorlax and I think I only have until Jan. 5th to get one of the gigantamax ones?

• Options
    I'll never mess with dates and raids and that stuff.
    also, i get giganta snorlax with a nice regularity. Try doing all the raids available to reset the offerings.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Yeah I'm not really into the idea of messing with all my system settings just to trick raid spawns for a pokemans

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    My roommate has been shiny hunting Cramorant because it's his favorite pokemon of the new gen. Finally got his with around 570 encounters.

Meanwhile, my only shiny to date is Grapploct. At a whopping 6 encounters. If I wanted to shiny hunt a 'mon, it'd have to be Applin to evolve to Appletun. Or G. Ponyta.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm not really into the idea of messing with all my system settings just to trick raid spawns for a pokemans

It's only the date, not that big a deal.

I avoided messing with it at first, but then you get pokemon that are only available in one place in one type of weather, and do you want to catch it today or wait a week for the right weather? And I certainly don't have the patience to hunt gigantamax pokemon without it, when they've got about a 1% spawn rate.

• Options
    Yea.. logging into a game on a specific date just to have a chance at finding a particular mon or having that particular scenario literally never come up naturally for the entire time one is playing the game aren't exactly "gameplay" elements that need preserving in anyway.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Is there a trick to finding Snorlax? I did finally manage to get some of the raids populated but I couldn't find a snorlax and I think I only have until Jan. 5th to get one of the gigantamax ones?

It's possible you might need to go to the Mystery Gift menu and click "get Wild Area updates"?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I DID IT! I broke down and just played my sons game to get my goodra and sableye. 400/400. THis is the first time i've actually completed a living dex. i got real close with X but just broke down around 600 something out of the 700whatever it was (my numbers might be off).

So if anyone needs anything i can breed all the things that are breedable!
    P.S. super annoyed i can't get (easily*) a null-0 after upgrading to silvally.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Oh hey, apparently there's a switch dongle that just.lets you afk for shiny Pokemon.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Dwyre wrote: »
    crossposting from the SE thread - Hey folks, so I've been tearing my hair out trying to get my hands on a prankster Sableye for my mono-dark team. If anyone happens to have one they'd be willing to trade I would be much appreciative, and I have access to a few hidden ability pokes I could whip up in exchange -
    Hatterene - Magic Bounce
    Mr. Rime - Ice Body
    Reuniclus - Regenerator
    Corsola - Cursed Body
    Chandelure - Infiltrator
    Weavile - Pickpocket
    Eevee - Anticipation
    Obstagoon - Defiant
    Lapras - Hydration
    Rookidee - Big Pecks
    Crawdaunt - Adaptability
    Snorlax - Gluttony (this one is g-max and I'd be willing to trade outright if somebody wanted it instead)
    Also have some 4+ IV Ponyta and a Milotic I could get some Feebas from
    Cheers!

@Dwyre

Don't have what you're looking for, but any chance of getting a HA Corsola/Eevee/Chandelure?

I have these HA I can breed:

Toxapex - Regenerator
    Butterfree - Tinted Lens
    Centiskorch - Flame Body
    Drednaw - Swift Swim
    Corviknight - Mirror Armour
    Sandaconda - Sand Veil
    Coalossal - Flash Fire

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Dwyre wrote: »
    crossposting from the SE thread - Hey folks, so I've been tearing my hair out trying to get my hands on a prankster Sableye for my mono-dark team. If anyone happens to have one they'd be willing to trade I would be much appreciative, and I have access to a few hidden ability pokes I could whip up in exchange -
    Hatterene - Magic Bounce
    Mr. Rime - Ice Body
    Reuniclus - Regenerator
    Corsola - Cursed Body
    Chandelure - Infiltrator
    Weavile - Pickpocket
    Eevee - Anticipation
    Obstagoon - Defiant
    Lapras - Hydration
    Rookidee - Big Pecks
    Crawdaunt - Adaptability
    Snorlax - Gluttony (this one is g-max and I'd be willing to trade outright if somebody wanted it instead)
    Also have some 4+ IV Ponyta and a Milotic I could get some Feebas from
    Cheers!

@Dwyre

Don't have what you're looking for, but any chance of getting a HA Corsola/Eevee/Chandelure?

I have these HA I can breed:

Toxapex - Regenerator
    Butterfree - Tinted Lens
    Centiskorch - Flame Body
    Drednaw - Swift Swim
    Corviknight - Mirror Armour
    Sandaconda - Sand Veil
    Coalossal - Flash Fire

I’m not them, but I do have HA Corsola now I could give you. I’m looking for anything in those rare Ball Guy balls.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    CeeCee Registered User regular
    @Rami Yeah, no problem. I did manage to get my spooky gem goblin so no worries there. I'll whip them up real quick and let you know.

• Options
    whelp... i just reset myself back breeding and training a perfect quiet gastrodon and timid whimsicott

• Options
    CeeCee Registered User regular
    @Rami I've got them ready for you, sent you a message.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Yea.. logging into a game on a specific date just to have a chance at finding a particular mon or having that particular scenario literally never come up naturally for the entire time one is playing the game aren't exactly "gameplay" elements that need preserving in anyway.

I caught my Drampa by looking up which dens it spawns in and spending a total of three wishing pieces rolling for it (two to realize I was at the wrong half of the paired nodes, then first try in the other node). Cheating the weather is for people who can't do research. :P