As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Pokémon] Thread! Sword & Shield OUT NOW!!

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I mean you've got a face sucker that possesses Lusamine and is basically a mind horror or servant of C'thulhu. You've got Solgaleo and MoonGuy that are basically keepers/wardens of the other plane. Guzzlord is basically an all-devouring maw type monster. Xurkitree is an undefinable tentacle monster.

The scale might not be quite as big as true Lovecraft. But I didn't claim they went full Lovecraft, I said they introduced a kid-friendly version of it.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    The 3 and 4 plots were fun because of how over-the-top they were, and how both dodged the "just grabbing for power" trope--Maxie, Archie, and Cyrus were all chasing ridiculous ideals that you had to put down rather than Wargle World Domination. Gen 5 fell straight into the power grab trap and sucked as a result. I still haven't gotten far enough into X to see the full scope of the story, but from what I've seen it seems like an even more unhinged copy of a Cyrus' plot.

Gen 7 was a fun diversion into mad science for mad science's sake.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I mean you've got a face sucker that possesses Lusamine and is basically a mind horror or servant of C'thulhu. You've got Solgaleo and MoonGuy that are basically keepers/wardens of the other plane. Guzzlord is basically an all-devouring maw type monster. Xurkitree is an undefinable tentacle monster.

The scale might not be quite as big as true Lovecraft. But I didn't claim they went full Lovecraft, I said they introduced a kid-friendly version of it.

That posession is creepy, but it doesnt really seem like there's some bigger thing behind it.

The scale of the threat just feels smaller (though it gets slightly personal in the epilogue bit)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    For what it's worth, I like the alternate universe stuff in S/M. Ultra beasts is a very cool concept and the designs for them are the perfect balance of bizzare. Maybe if there wasn't an evil team trying to harness it's power and we were just a kid stumbling upon what are essentially cosmic horrors it would have appealed to me more.

SirToasty on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    S/M and U S/M are legit top Pokemon games for me. From atmosphere to story to bad guy group. Just better all around for me. Right up there with R/S. You have your normal start of a pokemon game but then you have a world actually in danger and in a fun way in those iterations. At least for me. R/S is probably my fav still (well the remakes because while I am not a graphics snob id rather play the well done remakes).

Jubal77 on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Actually, one thing that bothered me about Sun and Moon: it's honestly a bit too story heavy. It was interesting realizing when I tried to play with my young nephew, he was really struggling to read through the whole thing and stay engaged, and the words he was running into were actually pretty difficult. It made me realize the games were really made more to target older audiences, much more so than games like Red and Blue back when I was a kid, and this isn't strictly a good thing.

I think this would be significantly less of an issue with things like skippable voice acted cutscenes, or if more of the story was buried in such a way that you had to actively seek it out, but as a traditional RPG where engaging with the story was necessary to progress it was very unfriendly to young players.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Yeah, Eevee is like a second mascot. If you walk into a Pokemon Center, you'll find Eevee stuff everywhere.

I think eevee is more of a second mascot in Japan in particular and we sort of get stuck with it in that role elsewhere as collateral damage

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I mean, sure, if only because Japan loves mascots, especially cute ones. Eevee is still a fan favorite among a lot of folks Pokemon fandom, regardless of locale. Eevee is like one of those personality tests, where what you choose to evolve it into (if at all) kinda says something about you.

That's why I like edgy Umbreon

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I mean, sure, if only because Japan loves mascots, especially cute ones. Eevee is still a fan favorite among a lot of folks Pokemon fandom, regardless of locale. Eevee is like one of those personality tests, where what you choose to evolve it into (if at all) kinda says something about you.

That's why I like edgy Umbreon

That's why I like bangs-having Glaceon

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Team Skull best team

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    Jubal77SirToastyLordSolarMacharius
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Team Skull best team

Team Skull is so oafish. I love them.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
  • KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Wonder how hard the protection is on that. I bet we start seeing more leaks from it either way.

Jubal77Turambar
    I read somewhere that it's heavily encrypted, but who knows.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    edited October 2019
    Well, there we go:

Didn't really need a steelbook, but whatever, I'll take some free Pokemon swag. Pre-ordered Shield.

(now watch them reveal some amazing Sword exclusive)

Maz- on
    god damn it i wish i could have that steelbook

camo_sig2.png
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I have one of those vouchers from before saved up for my Pokemon order, but not sure which one I'm getting yet (the partner and roommate are debating between Sword and Shield themselves. I'm basically the other person providing them with the 3rd starter pokemon of the ones they don't pick).

But I'm in Canada. Do the vouchers count as "pre-ordering" for this? How would I get a steelbook? Is it even eligible for Canadians? :P

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

Wait. Nintendo eShop is digital, right? Or do they have like an actual online storefront that sells physical goods?

How does Nintendo do at hitting release-day delivery?

no pokemon for voucher redemption on USA store

camo_sig2.png
    It ought to be. When the voucher program was going on, it specifically listed both Pokemon versions as eligible. It's just not up for pre-order yet.

Stormwatcher
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Wait. Nintendo eShop is digital, right? Or do they have like an actual online storefront that sells physical goods?

They have an actual storefront for physical goods, but I have no idea how good they are with delivering right on release day.

They do ship physical goods to several countries, yeah. They don't sell physical copies of games though.

edited October 2019
    I've been trying to breed a shiny Farfetch'd for Sword/Shield. I know they won't be able to come over til after Home launches. I have been saving all the perfect ones, so if anyone wants a perfect, adamant, Farfetch'd with first impression and leaf blade just holler. I've got 3 with defiant, 3 with inner focus, and 1 with Keen eye right now.

Kanden on
    So are we like... for sure that Sirfetch'd is actually an evolution?

What if its still just a single evolution Pokemon, but in Galar instead of Farfetch'd it just naturally spawns as a Sirfetch'd?

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    So are we like... for sure that Sirfetch'd is actually an evolution?

What if its still just a single evolution Pokemon, but in Galar instead of Farfetch'd it just naturally spawns as a Sirfetch'd?

https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-us/pokemon-galar-region/sirfetchd/

"The Farfetch’d of the Galar region can evolve into Sirfetch'd after experiencing many battles."

liEt3nH.png
    TamerBill
    edited October 2019
    Either way I got all these perfect Farfetch'ds with egg moves if anyone wants one.

Kanden on
    TDawgStormwatcherMancingtomIceBurnerAndy Joe
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular

I literally just used a voucher for it so idk what problems you had, I did it through the website on my PC.
    Maz- wrote: »

Reading the comments on the serebii twitter (mistakes, I know) suggests that its
    128-bit encryption" and "won't be cracked with current tech before the heat-death of the universe". The latter seems like an outlandish statement but this isn't my field of expertise.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    TDawg wrote: »

I literally just used a voucher for it so idk what problems you had, I did it through the website on my PC.
    Maz- wrote: »

Reading the comments on the serebii twitter (mistakes, I know) suggests that its
    128-bit encryption" and "won't be cracked with current tech before the heat-death of the universe". The latter seems like an outlandish statement but this isn't my field of expertise.

AES-128 probably. Properly implemented there are no known attacks on it iirc - your only option would be to steal the key. Brute forcing it is not computationally feasible. I'd have to double check estimates for the heat death of the universe, but properly implemented symmetric encryption is functionally unbreakable in human timescales - the only option is to steal the key or find a way they didn't follow instructions.

Apparently, in 18 years the best anyone is known to have done is improve brute force to 1/4 the original time (of forever). It is possible the NSA or someone knows a faster solution, but it's unlikely to get it anywhere near feasible even then. Much easier to just use espionage.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    TamerBill
    It's much more likely that some reviewer is going to leak something or, failing that, someone gets their hand on an early copy after a store breaks the street date.

PolaritieTDawg
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular

I used a voucher on sword yesterday. If you check now you should be able to as well.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    Nitsua
    Yeah, it got up after I posted, thanks!

camo_sig2.png
    TDawg
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Vouchers for everyone!!!

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I'm out of vouchers thanks to Luigi and Sobble. Hopefully they do it again.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    TDawg
    edited October 2019
    you can still buy vouchers, just change account region to an EU country (or make a new EU account)

and Happy Pokeween, my beautiful pocket friends!

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/dpkpyq/loved_the_original_3d_version_had_to_give_it_a/
    n5hpcy4yol24.png

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    KoopahTroopahNitsuaWinkyAndy Joe
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    you can still buy vouchers, just change account region to an EU country (or make a new EU account)

and Happy Pokeween, my beautiful pocket friends!

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/dpkpyq/loved_the_original_3d_version_had_to_give_it_a/
    n5hpcy4yol24.png

Now, don't get me wrong, I love this but, Pumpkaboo is right there....

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
    Kizmitt
    been done

camo_sig2.png
  • KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Two weeks out and the only new evolution line seen is the dumb flower that's in every gen. And Obstagoon.
    So glad they learned from last gen to stop spoiling everything in their trailers.
    Best hype cycle ever.

Stormwatcher
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    Two weeks out and the only new evolution line seen is the dumb flower that's in every gen. And Obstagoon.
    So glad they learned from last gen to stop spoiling everything in their trailers.
    Best hype cycle ever.

Honestly, I do kind of want to know how the Starters are gonna evolve. I'm one of those people who always uses their Starter all the way to the end of the story, so I'd at least like to know what I'm going to end up with.

Lucascraft
    New Japanese overview trailer. Well, the only really new thing it shows are the in-game models of Zacian and Zamazenta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHJB5OFpEDM

Also, the first trailer for the new anime series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AZd74zPCMw

The squiggles under Ash's eyes (and I know they've been there since the original anime) make him look like he is going through puberty and has the faintest wisp of a mustache.

It's very off-putting.

It didn't look so bad before, but when the animation changed for the Alolan season, it was more pronounced than ever and it really threw me off. I know he's still supposed to be a 10 year boy, so going through puberty is probably exactly what that is. There's just something about it that I don't like.

Kind of like everyone's hairstyle in Yu-Gi-Oh cartoons.