As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Pokémon] Thread! Sword & Shield OUT NOW!!

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Incineroar is great to dynamax against mewtwo. I've been running a light screen grimmsnarl.

I just finally beat it (feels so good when you do) with a team of Grimmsnarl, Lunala, Morpeko, and Vaporeon.

Morpeko and Vaporeon were surprise MVPs as Morpeko dropped Thunderwave on Mewtwo off the drop (and those full paras are super meaningful) and Vaporeon is crazy tanky against most of Mewtwo's moves.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Grimmsnarl with dualscreens is very good, just gotta watch out because the physical Mewtwo has brickbreak. I've found a lot of success with Clear Smog Gastrodon as well, since a buffed Mewtwo is crazy powerful.

If I can I grab Grimmsnarl to use, since I've run into a lot of Grimmsnarls using the wrong screen over and over. Like, guys, the Mewtwo uses either physical or special, not both. Please please use the right screen once you know which variant you are fighting. Guessing wrong on the first turn is fine.

I have seen a lot of people using Zamazenta/Zacian in the fight and that's hard because each Mewtwo variant has moves that are super effective on them. Also anything that's dark type and doesn't have a secondary type that resists fighting is hard to justify bringing due to both variants having fighting moves. I've also seen a lot of people bringing Gengar and that's such a bummer as he's frail as hell and Mewtwo's psychic moves OHKO him most of the time, even through screens.

Cruor on
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Even Marshadow is pretty frail, but the Spectral Thief move is often worth the risk.

I was bringing dual screen/taunt Grimmsnarl, unless someone else showed it, then I’d switch to Necrozma(Lunala form).

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Fire is a really good secondary type imo and I've had good results with an assault vest Centiskorch if someone else already has a Grimmsnarl.

Honestly I see the special attacker way more often than the physical. I wonder if it's tied to whether host is sword or shield?

• Options
    Be careful with the physical varieties when running any fire type and specifically Centiscorch since he has Rockslide. Thankfully the damage is spread around.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    As far as trading level 100 shiny legendaries. There is a chance that they could be legit as I have a level 100 shiny dialga, palkia, and zygarde that were downloadable from Nintendo during events. I won't be trading them but they are 100% legit and I could be trading them if I felt so inclined.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Legit ones are generally in Cherish Balls, where a lot of the hacked ones are in Masterballs/Beast Balls/whatever else.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    The event pokemon in Cherish Balls are also not tradeable on the GTS

It says this is a "Special" pokemon and can't be traded, same as with Mythicals

Just tested with the shiny Tapu Koko I got from an event

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    what's up with the mewtwos? just ability capsules?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I forgot this was happening because I've been sick all week. Hopped on for a bit and didn't see any Mewtwos or G1 starters show up in raids.

• Options
    Mewtwos drop Ability Capsules, lots of EXP candies, Bottle Caps, and high value sell items like Balm Mushrooms.

• Options
    ...and also they are over now, as of about 3 hours ago.

• Options
    I really hope the do more of that sort of raid. It's really fun to have a difficult raid that actually requires teamwork and more than just spamming attacks to break barriers.

• Options
    bleh didn't even bother with it then

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Difficult is fine, but Mewtwo was a bit much

I'd like to see them tone it down slightly next time

Also, you should be able to catch one of the legendary

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Tangentially related... I watched Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution over the weekend.... yeah, I like the original better (the pokemon looked pretty ok in 3d but the humans looked horrible). Also they removed the Minnesota Vikings joke so screw them.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »
    Difficult is fine, but Mewtwo was a bit much

I'd like to see them tone it down slightly next time

Also, you should be able to catch one of the legendary

I really liked it, I could honestly go for a lot more like that. It was nice because there are still easier raids you can do instead and it's not something you have to do in order to complete a dex or anything, but the rewards save you a lot of time grinding if you can complete it.

This is the first time PvE content has ever made me put together a competitive-level mon in order to beat it.

• Options
    I also liked the challenge, but the spike is too big. It just wasn't balanced well at all

There's an ocean of space to explore between the usual raids and what Mewtwo was

• Options
    JombalayaJombalaya Registered User regular
    I only beat him once and it was due to a dead teammate’s cheer breaking the second shield. I need notification ahead of time to breed and train a Pokémon for this type of thing. I don’t have a deep bench.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Did they ever fix the surprise trade glitch where some asshole could lock up your online with a hacked pokemon?

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Did they ever fix the surprise trade glitch where some asshole could lock up your online with a hacked pokemon?

I certainly have hacked things I transferred over from Home, my online works fine. I think you're probably safe.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »

I certainly have hacked things I transferred over from Home, my online works fine. I think you're probably safe.

It wasn't through Home- somebody was sending out hackmons via Surprise Trade that were formulated to crash your game on receipt and then lock you out of online play (you'd go online, the game would try to download the hackmon to your Switch and fail, and you'd crash again over and over every time you tried to go online).

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options

It wasn't through Home- somebody was sending out hackmons via Surprise Trade that were formulated to crash your game on receipt and then lock you out of online play (you'd go online, the game would try to download the hackmon to your Switch and fail, and you'd crash again over and over every time you tried to go online).

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought it was ANY hacked Pokemon, not ones specifically designed to lock you out. No clue if that was specifically addressed.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Could anyone provide me with a litten in Sun? It seems like I never got around to trading for one and the GTS is, of course, completely unreasonable in its demands.

Also a Clauncher

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    I can, do you want any litten and clauncher?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RussadRussad MARegistered User regular

This was patched in Home at the beginning of last week, so I assume they applied the fix to the switch games as well.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Managed to get a Jangmo-o and a Dreepy through surprise trades. Which one would be better to breed like crazy to get decent trades in Pokemon Home?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    technically Dreepies, but the market is flooded with the little guys

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Managed to get a Jangmo-o and a Dreepy through surprise trades. Which one would be better to breed like crazy to get decent trades in Pokemon Home?

The way to good trades is *middle* evos. Also Jangmo-o is a version exlusive.

So breed those like crazy, evolve them to middle form, and ask for reasonable things.

• Options
    Cool, thanks.

I think I'm going to use them to try to get things that evolve while traded. I mean, I can kind of understand why GTS moved to Home, but I hate that evolve when trade Pokemon don't actually evolve.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    So close to a full living Kantodex. Missing mankey, primeape, hypno, seel, weezing, and mewtwo (who I am using in X currently).

Why are people so dumb on GTS? I'm not giving you a legendary for these.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I have a lot in PoGo I can transfer to Let's Go but I'm too lazy

Any ETA on transfer from PoGo to Home is coming

• Options
    I have a lot in PoGo I can transfer to Let's Go but I'm too lazy

Any ETA on transfer from PoGo to Home is coming

"Some time in the future."

• Options
    I can, do you want any litten and clauncher?

Yeah it's just for living dex purposes.

Thing is I need them in Sun so I can breed them to fill out each evolution stage. That said I'm missing a lot of pokémon so I'm going to wait until I've filled out what I can and then compile a list of what I'm missing and see what's available. There's also a bunch of annoying stuff like needing to trade evo porygons and politoeds and such.

You know whats weird? I have no gen 2 starters at all, despite having HG.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    So SW/SH is Pokémon Hunger Games huh

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Is HeartGold/SoulSilver the best way to secure a complete collection of Unown?

• Options
    Taya wrote: »
    Is HeartGold/SoulSilver the best way to secure a complete collection of Unown?

They can be caught in ORAS as well, but HGSS is easier.

sig.gif
  • Options
    i got mine in ORAS, wasn't too much trouble. it's pretty brainless and doesn't take too long.
    And Rami, hit me up later on Steam chat, preferably at night, i can get you those pokemon in Sun.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    How hard is it to get all the legendaries in ORAS through those portal thingies? I haven't started the game yet (well, I did years ago, but I'm going to restart and try to half-ass speedrun it).

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I thought that to get Unown in ORAS you had to check the mirage spot each day and Unown are only at certain places so it's random if they are available or not. I haven't looked into how easy they are to encounter.