As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Pokémon] Thread! Sword & Shield OUT NOW!!

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    How overt/predatory is the IAP?

Completely ingorable so far IMO. You get 5 "hearts" that regenerate over time but you only lose one when you fail a level and don't want to spend acorns (which you can accumulate in a few ways) for a few extra moves. I'm at like level 60 and basically have been using the hearts as a way to let me know when to stop for a bit. I guess there's also power-ups you can buy but they haven't been thrust in my face yet.

TBF, I'm essentially immune to microtransactions. I don't think that anyone more psychologically vulnerable to them is at a big risk here, though?

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Working on my Isle of Armor Dex. My last few mons.
    slowking
    igglybuff
    lurantis
    fletchling
    politoed
    larvesta
    volcarona
    clauncher
    clawitzer
    kingdra
    porygon 2
    porygon-z

I can probably get igglybuff, fletchling, larvesta, and volcarona on my own. I'm trying to use the GTS to get some of these.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    So kind of dumb question. Pokemon Home mobile wants me to link a nintendo account to it. My son is the one playing Pokemon Sword and I don't have any interest. Should I link his account to my mobile version and the switch version? I only care because I guess if I transfer a pokemon in some way he gets a free shiny Zoraora or something?

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    If you don't plan on giving him his own Nintendo account before the next gen, then that should be fine I think

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »
    So kind of dumb question. Pokemon Home mobile wants me to link a nintendo account to it. My son is the one playing Pokemon Sword and I don't have any interest. Should I link his account to my mobile version and the switch version? I only care because I guess if I transfer a pokemon in some way he gets a free shiny Zoraora or something?

If you transfer a pokemon from Home to Sword you get one of each starter with their hidden abilities.

Shiny Zeraora we're all getting cuz we defeated 1 million of them in raid dens. Should only need to get a mystery gift to get that one.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »
    If you don't plan on giving him his own Nintendo account before the next gen, then that should be fine I think

My son has his own nintendo account. I had to create one to get him Litten from a helpful forumer. I'm asking if I should link Pokemon Home to his account or it doesn't actually matter what one I use?

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »

If you transfer a pokemon from Home to Sword you get one of each starter with their hidden abilities.

Shiny Zeraora we're all getting cuz we defeated 1 million of them in raid dens. Should only need to get a mystery gift to get that one.

you need to transfer something between Home and Sw/Sh to be eligible for the Zeraora

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    OK, so I got that cafe game on the phone and was wondering; are the acorns used for anything at all other than getting extra turns on a failed puzzle? I thought that that pack for Sweets Pikachu cost 4900 acorns, but it turns out that it gives you that many acorns along with everything else, and the only way to buy the pack is with actual cash.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Enlong wrote: »
    OK, so I got that cafe game on the phone and was wondering; are the acorns used for anything at all other than getting extra turns on a failed puzzle? I thought that that pack for Sweets Pikachu cost 4900 acorns, but it turns out that it gives you that many acorns along with everything else, and the only way to buy the pack is with actual cash.

EDIT: There are a few other minor things? Like, re-rolling special invitations and maybe something else I'm forgetting.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Well I went ahead and linked the mobile home to his nintendo account. Will just do the same thing with the Switch version. Got him a squirtle so he'll be happy about it.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Did they fix raid search nvm

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    I'd like to suggest the next thread title be "Oh SNAP! a "NEW" [Pokemon] Thread" or something to that effect.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    *kingdra
    larvesta
    *volcarona
    *porygon-z

*Hoping GTS provides.

So close to finishing the Isle of Armor dex.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I started my file over and am playing through the game again and hoo-boy.

The "Artist" trainers are terrifying. They perfectly captured the energy of an actual artist who was just asked to do several weeks worth of work with only the promise of being paid with "Exposure."

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I’m not sure how long the novelty will last, but ‘as a parent’ that Pokémon toothbrushing app is a blessing to humanity. Yes it’s free advertising/brand establishment/corporate brain washing but the kids actually actively want to brush their teeth now instead of constantly moaning about it!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    *kingdra
    larvesta
    *volcarona
    *porygon-z

*Hoping GTS provides.

So close to finishing the Isle of Armor dex.

If you have trouble, I can toss you a Volcarona and I think I have a Seadra and dragon scale laying about.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Larvesta is available in the Forest
    Volcarona at the top of the Dune in Potbelly... i'm drawing a blank on these location names. The desert in the new expansion pass island
    And Kingdra is available somewhere in the ocean but only during a thunderstorm I believe.
    Probably need intense sun for Larvesta/Volcarona

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    I like that the DLC gave us new clothing options, but how is there still no backwards cap?? This is pokemon!

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    The old pokesportswriters on the voting committee have deemed a backwards cap a violation of the unwritten rules of Pokémon battling and don’t think any trainer who wears their cap in such a way is a true ambassador to the sport

• Options
    What places have new clothes to see? I haven't checked a ton of the stores yet.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

I think all of the stores have new stuff when you go to them. I'm pretty sure I checked all of them and found at least a couple of new things at each.

Cruor on
  • Options
    Cruor wrote: »

I think all of the stores have new stuff when you go to them. I'm pretty sure I checked all of them and found at least a couple of new things at each.

I think my current goal is to get the last 3 mons I need for the Isle dex. Then I am going to browse more shops. And THEN I am going to attempt to get all the digglets.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    As soon as I got the style card I went around to all the shops I could looking for new clothing. Gotta get that aesthetic just right.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I have 3 digletts left and I'll be damned if I can find them. I've spent too much time running around the zones they're supposed to be in and my blind ass cannot see them.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    I have 3 digletts left and I'll be damned if I can find them. I've spent too much time running around the zones they're supposed to be in and my blind ass cannot see them.

i don't even remember which areas i have completed. I'm up to 130+, and it's gonna stay this way, because the last prize sucks.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The sign next to the guy lists how many digletts you have left broken down by area.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    The sign next to the guy lists how many digletts you have left broken down by area.

Workout Sea: 0
    Forest of Focus: 1
    Challenge Beach: 2
    Potbottom Desert: 0
    Soothing Wetlands: 19

According to this sign I’ve apparently missed a cave or something to take me to the real Soothing Wetlands cause the one I’m biking around in is out of diglett

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    So can i not get the Zeraora with my switch version of pokemon home? Cause i can't figure it out and if not then this is bullshit because i don't have a stupid phone to put the phone version of home on and if that is the case i'm actually really angry.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    So can i not get the Zeraora with my switch version of pokemon home? Cause i can't figure it out and if not then this is bullshit because i don't have a stupid phone to put the phone version of home on and if that is the case i'm actually really angry.

It's mobile version only yes

if you have a friend/family member with a compatible phone you could sign into your Home account on there to claim it then just delete the app afterward

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    That worked.

I was sad for a moment now i'm happy!

• Options
    Ya it seems like all the mystery gifts are going to be done through the phone app now. As far as I can tell the switch version of Home is just for moving Pokémon to and from the games.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    How overt/predatory is the IAP?

Completely ingorable so far IMO. You get 5 "hearts" that regenerate over time but you only lose one when you fail a level and don't want to spend acorns (which you can accumulate in a few ways) for a few extra moves. I'm at like level 60 and basically have been using the hearts as a way to let me know when to stop for a bit. I guess there's also power-ups you can buy but they haven't been thrust in my face yet.

TBF, I'm essentially immune to microtransactions. I don't think that anyone more psychologically vulnerable to them is at a big risk here, though?

This kind of reminds me of Shuffle, which had two separate 3DS and mobile versions, and from what I hear the mobile version was way more predatory.

• Options
    Ya it seems like all the mystery gifts are going to be done through the phone app now. As far as I can tell the switch version of Home is just for moving Pokémon to and from the games.

Both, though, have incredibly shitty interfaces

• Options
    I just want to be able to search for mons without having to see 1) trades I can't make at all 2) impossible trades.

I want to be able to search via a pokemon I have and what people are looking to give for it. I shouldn't have to scroll through line after line of people asking for a Kubfu for a Porygon-Z or Kingdra.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options

Both, though, have incredibly shitty interfaces

I love that the Switch version of Home let's you mass release pokemon, though. I've actually spent hours before, releasing pokemon one by one after breeding/surprised trading, but now I can do it in a few minutes instead

I also like being able to GTS on my phone. When you've bred up some rare stuff, then trade your way to a fuller dex. It's sort of a fun mini game

Agree that both interfaces have a long way to go, but it's getting better at least

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    they've dealt with the impossible trades btw, on the last update
    and there's a bunch of mystery gifts still coming via the game itself, like the HA galarian forms and packs of items (including a wonderful pack with evo items like the good teapot and the sweets) that they distributed before the dlc came out.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I feel like I've seen some trades asking for legendaries when I say don't show that, but I could be wrong.

Raid den spoofed me a Kingdra raid. So I just need baby Volcarna (giant moth thing) and Porygon-Z. I might grab another Kingdra or 3 to put up on GTS for Porygon-Z. I feel like people are looking for those.

edit: Also, did that raid online. Went into my boxes to think about who to take and came back to a full room. That was nice.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I had a bunch of fun last night going into random singles battles with my mono-type teams. I alternated between my poison team and my water team and I now have a huge love for my Cramorant. One battle in particular was an amazing showcase of how annoying my set for him (Dive/Whirlpool/Defog/Roost w/Rocky Helmet) would be to fight against. He was able to stall out and KO half an opponent's team, including a Dedenne (it was already partially injured and switched into Whirlpool, and he then assumed I'd switch to my waiting Gastrodon and used Grass Knot, but I used Dive on Cramorant instead and let Whirlpool/Dive get the last bit of damage to KO Dedenne).

I love my dumb bird.

Cruor on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Yeah, trying Home, the GTS seems entirely useless. I just wanted a Larvitar, and after the first fifty "Larvitar for Poipole" trade offers I kinda sighed and gave up.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    If it's any consolation, I just looked and there's a bunch of Larvitar up right now for reasonable things, like Corsola or Throh or whatever. I think you can't ask for Poipole anymore, but now people mostly just ask for Kubfu/Urshifu as the "heh, yeah, no" trade request. I know this because I've been trying to get a Speed Boost Venipede and that's all they're asking for.

We need better search filter options. At the very least let me only see trades that I currently can complete so I don't have to scroll forever to find one.

Cruor on