Due to a security update, you may have to reset your password. Don’t panic, nothing has gone wrong and your password is safe. If you don’t have access to that email, send Tube a message at [email protected] More info here: https://status.vanillaforums.com/incidents/2zdqxf3bt7mj
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[YouTube] Come On Down To Dorktown

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    I wonder if one of those things could fit under a Leopard 2 tank, looks like maybe they could that whole Russian idea of anti-tank bomb dogs isnt fundamentally unsound its just that most traditional analogue dogs are frightened of cannons and machineguns going off for some reason

I'm sure they could, but I'd have to imagine it would be a lot more cost and time effective to build remote control cars that carry mines rather than building robot dogs to do the job.
    Just saying, radio control wasn't really an option at the time when anti-tank dogs came out of the horrifying-idea hat.

Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    See them flip themselves over when landing on their backs is impressive and scary.

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a robot dog, crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the robot dog over on its back. It flips itself upright.
    Describe, in single words, only the good things that come to your mind. About your mother.

This post was sponsored by LG.

'Get your fucking finger on the wookie'
    WhiteZinfandel
  • Schmimpy Pim- no god what am I sayingSchmimpy Pim- no god what am I saying Registered User regular
    edited November 8
    I dunno isnt the whole point of having legs like them things do is to navigate complex urban terrain also its not like blowing up a modern tank is a cost trivial proposistion Javelins aint cheap at all

I dunno hey @tynic if you had to kill a tank in a ruined city with an exploding robot would you want the robot to have wheels or treads or dog legs

Schmimpy Pim- no god what am I saying on
  • CoinageCoinage The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter Registered User regular

Good news everyone, we live in hell

s586cu2r93hr.gif
    Dee KaeDouglasDangerZilla360PwnanObrienchrishallett83Youtube
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Look I thought the way to survive the robot uprising was to escape up a flight of stairs and failing that, tip or flip them over.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I dunno isnt the whole point of having legs like them things do is to navigate complex urban terrain also its not like blowing up a modern tank is a cost trivial proposistion Javelins aint cheap at all

I dunno hey @tynic if you had to kill a tank in a ruined city with an exploding robot would you want the robot to have wheels or treads or dog legs

Optimal solution is legs WITH treads
    probably not dog legs though
    something more insect like. I've actually given this a lot of thought, would you like to see my drawings

SleepHappy Little MachineMetzger MeisterBahamutZEROJedocVeldrinFencingsaxchrishallett83WeedLordVegetaSorceJoolander
  • Absolutely yes please

Happy Little MachineDouglasDangerJayKaosAl_watHermanoStiltsBrovid HasselsmofcB557Olivawsee317VeldrinFencingsaxchrishallett83webguy20WeedLordVegetaSorcefacetiousJoolandergodmode
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

something more insect like. I've actually given this a lot of thought, would you like to see my drawings

hell yes

SleepHappy Little MachineJayKaosLabelOlivawFencingsaxchrishallett83SorcefacetiousJoolander
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular

Insectoid tank killer? Yes please I wanna see that sci fi future shit.

Happy Little Machinechrishallett83
    edited November 8
    Absolutely yes please

Ok so for difficult terrain over any kind of distance your big limitation is gonna be on-board power requirements
    so you wanna do as much with passive power generation as possible. Jumping robots are pretty great at that

but a single leg isn't ideal because if you do fall you need a responsive actuated recovery system that can lever you up. What if we go to a multi-legged platform?

this is way better (and the reversable design is nifty) but there are still feasible fall states where the robot can't recover, and it's extremely difficult to create a joint space configuration where the force application is uniform all around the body. Symmetry helps:

so lets add even more symmetry

FUCK IT WHAT IF THE WHOLE THING IS JUST A FUCKING CUBE

... I've lost my train of thought

in conclusion, this is why Interstellar has the best robots, the end.

tynic on
    NaphtaliDouglasDangerBahamutZEROmrpakuSleepJedocHefflingCrippl3Dee KaeAl_watHermanoGlalStiltsN1tSt4lkerLabelBrovid HasselsmofOlivawDuke 2.0DiarmuidKetarVeldrinZilla360Fencingsaxwebguy20DidgeridooASimPersonSorcefacetiousProlegomenaYoutubeTonkkaJoolanderGustavgodmodeSporkAndrewSpeed RacerKharnor
    yeah anyway there's some really weird leg design in insects which means you can get out way more power than seems feasibly possible so if I was gonna do an all-terrain legged robot I'd go down that route but I actually don't have many drawings, I lied
    (I do have some)
    (they're in a notebook that also contains a full page of slogans for an ostrich burger franchise and a sticky note that just says "Brendan Fraser with beard???!???")

SleepAngelHedgieHefflingStiltsLabelOlivawDuke 2.0KetarHappy Little MachineVeldrinZilla360Goose!webguy20chrishallett83ASimPersonSorcefacetiousLord PalingtonJoolandergodmode
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    yeah anyway there's some really weird leg design in insects which means you can get out way more power than seems feasibly possible so if I was gonna do an all-terrain legged robot I'd go down that route but I actually don't have many drawings, I lied
    (I do have some)
    (they're in a notebook that also contains a full page of slogans for an ostrich burger franchise and a sticky note that just says "Brendan Fraser with beard???!???")

I would pay good money to see "A day in the life of Tynic."

If a movement doesn't have someone that can sit down opposite those in a position of power and strike a deal, how can that movement achieve success?
    webguy20facetiousJoolander
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular

FiendishrabbitDarkPrimusBahamutZEROKnight_AzraithKruiteDavid_TSorceJoolander
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    That ending.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    DarkPrimusKnight_KruiteSorce
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Desert Airbus.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Crippl3
  • CoinageCoinage The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter Registered User regular

No one knows what it's like to be the lobster man

s586cu2r93hr.gif
  • McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular

Finally, the end of the road. An incredible Let's Play for a bizarre mess of a game.

PreacherStiltsDaypigeonOlivawagoajDuke 2.0ErlecNeveronH3Knuckles
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular
    Oh shit, is that where this video is from?

I might have to check those out...

dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    FencingsaxBahamutZEROCrippl3agoajTonkka
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Chip and Ironicus are hilarious. They also do a once a year stream for charity where they play awful animal games and its hilarious.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited November 9

The phrase "EVERY BULLET A QUESTION" is truly actually powerful

Crippl3 on
    StiltsmilskiOlivawFencingsaxIndie Winterdarunia106WeedLordVegetaErlecThatDudeOverThereAngelHedgieTonkkanever dieDarkPrimusZilla360cursedkingpookaautono-wally, erotibot300
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited November 9

Yep!

Specifically, this video

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    H3Knuckles
  • webguy20webguy20 Spends too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Those little robot dogs will come for us all. Add a taser and a knife. They run up and taser you, then stab you while you're down.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Zilla360
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Those little robot dogs will come for us all. Add a taser and a knife. They run up and taser you, then stab you while you're down.

Well it was a joke in the Corps as training a dog to stab would be funny and effective

• halkunhalkun Registered User regular

Desert Airbus.

Every once in a while someone makes a game that makes you so mad that you didn't come up with the idea and develop it yourself...
    I haven't felt humbled by someone else's dumb, yet brilliant idea ever since I heard about the game where you date a head in a flower pot.

dA03mgx.png
    Doodmann
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Amazon: shorturl.at/giJSV Steam: shorturl.at/ftCLSRegistered User regular

RMS OceanicDuke 2.0
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be better if they taser you, then hit you with a bat?

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Amazon: shorturl.at/giJSV Steam: shorturl.at/ftCLSRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Bad road design fucking sucks and is dangerous.

However, one of the major points raised in the video I linked is that you cannot ease traffic congestion by building more roads. When you build more roads, more cars use them, which simply increases the number of cars on all roads at any one time, and instead of reducing congestion on the initial problem road, whoops all of a sudden now you just have more roads that are badly congested.

Mass transit is the only real solution to congestion, and to really fix the road congestion issues places like Los Angeles suffer will require societal overhaul.

GvzbgulFencingsaxMidniteOlivawStiltstynicShortyfurlionBrainleechKwoaruMysstpookaN1tSt4lkerDoodmann

I'm not the biggest fan of the Greens but I do have to celebrate 12 years of none pizza with left beef

s586cu2r93hr.gif
    tynicZilla360
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    SleepFencingsax
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular

chrishallett83autono-wally, erotibot300
    edited November 9

Unauthorized forestry tips are for entertainment purposes only.

Coinage on
    s586cu2r93hr.gif
    SleepBahamutZEROYoutubeFencingsaxDuke 2.0SorceZilla360
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    This is fun

5FEdw1A.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

Unauthorized forestry tips are for entertainment purposes only.

this man is my hero

BahamutZERO.gif
    SleepGlalFencingsaxDuke 2.0SorceZilla360
  • MonwynMonwyn Registered User regular
    The concept of police patrols is inherited from slave catchers

This is, frankly, unrefined bullshit that gets parroted as a just-so-story

The concept of sherrifs and night watchmen is straight-up ancient

Anyway here's what Brittney Spears songs would sound like in a better world

uH3IcEi.png
    GvzbgulYoutubeKanacB557Rorshach Kringle
    Monwyn wrote: »
    The concept of police patrols is inherited from slave catchers

This is, frankly, unrefined bullshit that gets parroted as a just-so-story

The concept of sherrifs and night watchmen is straight-up ancient

Anyway here's what Brittney Spears songs would sound like in a better world

1: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-origins-of-policing-in-the-united-states/

and 2: Toxic is already an extremely good pop song. Just putting the lyrics over a sludge-rock instrumental does not make it "better", only a different genre.

FearghaillAngelHedgie
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited November 9
    "Here's what Brittney Spears songs would sound like as an early 2000s WWE entrance theme."

PwnanObrien on
    WrIiiPW.png
    mrpakuCrippl3OlivawBloodsheedMs DapperFearghaillHeadCreepsfacetiouschrishallett83KwoaruRorshach KringleSorceMidnitewebguy20N1tSt4lkertynic