As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A [Phalla] draws near! Day 8▶Boing!

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    If we pick 3 locations to each randomly pick, we would be able to almost ensure that we would have a large group at those 3 locations:

Like, say everyone randomly decide to go to one of:
    North Cave
    Swamp Cave
    Mountain Cave

That should get us a good spread over each place and hopefully clean out the items at those places, then we move on down the list or whatever.

I'm worried about two things:
    -Mafia have a power along the lines of "bad thing happens to everyone at X"
    -Opportunity cost by leaving places unexplored.

Almost assuredly the mafia benefit from knowing where people are going

If there's any consistency w/ the game some locations will be functionally inaccessible in the form of being very unsafe without the loot from others.

Yeah, this is already known and I find it weird you are acting like this is speculation.

Auralynx

It's as if I didn't have any time to think about this during my workday.

FWIW I believe they're essentially listed in the order you're supposed to tackle them in the game and seem to remember Hauksness being effectively a gear check as opposed to inaccessible. Progression's not as rigid as a Zelda or Metroid to my recollection.

Feel free to google up a walkthrough and check like I'm gonna later, though.

I don’t think the PM location is the suggested order. Charlock is the end game castle.

I think you need to create a rainbow bridge to even get there? It's been 30 years so not super sure

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    If we pick 3 locations to each randomly pick, we would be able to almost ensure that we would have a large group at those 3 locations:

North Cave
    Swamp Cave
    Mountain Cave

That should get us a good spread over each place and hopefully clean out the items at those places, then we move on down the list or whatever.

If there's any consistency w/ the game some locations will be functionally inaccessible in the form of being very unsafe without the loot from others.

Yeah, this is already known and I find it weird you are acting like this is speculation.

Auralynx

FWIW I believe they're essentially listed in the order you're supposed to tackle them in the game and seem to remember Hauksness being effectively a gear check as opposed to inaccessible. Progression's not as rigid as a Zelda or Metroid to my recollection.

I don’t think the PM location is the suggested order. Charlock is the end game castle.

Check the OP order. Still might be off, but it looks more right than the PM one to me.

Bluecyan stares at OP example PM and own PM for order of dungeons.

Bluecyan is confused.

Bluecyan attacks self.

Bluecyan misses.

Bluecyan is still confused.
    My PM dungeon order is the same as the example PM. Did other people get different orders?

Bluecyan on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I remember playing the first Dragon Warrior, and not having the attention span needed to grind after a certain amount of time. So, never actually beat that game.

Also, was going to fire off a vote on Disc for the standard Obi wagon, but then I realized that Disc has been Day 1'ed more than anyone I can think of at this point, so that'd be wrong.

premium

Hey!
    Grudging Obifett last game was going perfectly well until you guys voted me out.
    So I'm clearly onto a winning strategy

discrider on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular

North Cave
    Swamp Cave
    Mountain Cave

Auralynx

Check the OP order. Still might be off, but it looks more right than the PM one to me.

Yep, I didn’t look at the updated OP list, only my PM.

I specifically knew that because I thought it was the starting castle and was going to go there and then thankfully googled before final orders.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Bluecyan wrote: »

North Cave
    Swamp Cave
    Mountain Cave

Auralynx

Bluecyan stares at OP example PM and own PM for order of dungeons.

Bluecyan is confused.

Bluecyan attacks self.

Bluecyan misses.

Bluecyan is still confused.
    My PM dungeon order is the same as the example PM. Did other people get different orders?

Not the example PM, the one in bold just above that quote block.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Cythraul wrote: »
    I can confirm that progression is NOT rigid. Didn't even save the princess!!
    Such a monster might as well become king of the Drakees.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Ah shit, I am going to have to step out.
    I'm dealing with a lot of stress :cry: at the moment and probably won't be able to give appropriate time for questing and such for this.
    Wish me luck!

VayBJ4e.png
  • MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    I'm dealing with a lot of stress :cry: at the moment and probably won't be able to give appropriate time for questing and such for this.
    Wish me luck!

Best of luck to you friend!! <3

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Wish me luck!

Bluecyan forms his body into the word Luck before joining back into a puddle. A solitary appendage forms up in the middle waving them farewell

:(
    Lot of village types in thread at the moment.
    Guess I've got to hit like Sir Fab or someone

• GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Oooh, we doing first RPG memories?

As far as I can remember my first one was Super Mario RPG, unless I'm forgetting some stone-age era PC RPG

Edit: That'll teach me to make sure I'm on the most recent page

Green on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Green wrote: »

As far as I can remember my first one was Super Mario RPG, unless I'm forgetting some stone-age era PC RPG

I mean, go for it. Ultima 3 here, I think. Had absolutely no idea or preparation for it.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    @Egos @Wildcat or anyone really I need an reserve to start asap

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

edited October 2019

Well, at least I'm not the only one here that had a late start to RPGs. Mine was Secret of Mana, my neighbor was the one that had it and we would go over to his place after school to play through that (I always played the Sprite Child). Later on I picked up Final Fantasy 6 since they were made by the same company and down the RPG rabbit hole I went.

First Dragon Quest game was DQ7, several years later. Actually picked up Dragon Warrior as my first phone game though.
    [/ooc]

Bluecyan on
    I have Secret of Mana on a SNES Classic that I've been wanting to play! Convince me to finally start it up in three or fewer sentences, go

• CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    You can play it multiplayer with Mamawolf!

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
    My first RPG was Final Fantasy. I remember sitting in my friend's basement with the map and enemy list, and agonizing over what party to make.

Steam

This is a pretty solid argument. It's a multiplayer RPG?

Dragon Warrior was my first RPG.

I remember my mom made me read the entire booklet so that id know how to play.

It also basically came with a walkthrough, which told you where to go at what level. Which is crazy because without it the game is completely open world and you have to get clues from townsfolk to figure out what to do.

Its weird because I have fond memories of it, but it is completely not my kind of game anymore.

2 or 3 is. It's pretty good.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

You start with one playable character, eventually (rather quickly) you end up with three. Each is controllable, so you could technically play 3-player of you wanted!

Steam

You start with one playable character, eventually (rather quickly) you end up with three. Each is controllable, so you could technically play 3-player of you wanted!

On the SNES classic you will only get to do it two player unfortunately (the old SNES you needed the multi-tap adapter).

Three sentences eh...
    All of the monsters are super cute, well animated pixel art, and the music was so great I actually bothered to learn how to play the opening theme!
    Fight robots made from kitchen tools, travel by cannons almost exclusively, talk to dancing Royal Mushroom, get price gouged by traveling cat merchants, save Santa Claus.
    The remastered sequel is coming out next year and is looking pretty spiffy.

Sounds like we got a new/old game to play together @Green!!

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
    Bluecyan wrote: »

On the SNES classic you will only get to do it two player unfortunately (the old SNES you needed the multi-tap adapter).

Three sentences eh...
    All of the monsters are super cute, well animated pixel art, and the music was so great I actually bothered to learn how to play the opening theme!
    Fight robots made from kitchen tools, travel by cannons almost exclusively, talk to dancing Royal Mushroom, get price gouged by traveling cat merchants, save Santa Claus.
    The remastered sequel is coming out next year and is looking pretty spiffy.

You mentioned something about Christmas!! You've convinced me.

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    My first RPG was Final Fantasy. I remember sitting in my friend's basement with the map and enemy list, and agonizing over what party to make.

I used to play it with my dad.
    Well, I would read the enemy list to him and he'd actually play.
    Who would've thought that Ice Wolves were weak to fire?

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    @Egos to replace @Virgil_Leads_You effective now

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    does Pokemon Blue count as an RPG?
    if that doesn't count for some reason, it might be Legend of Legaia.

D&D second edition? not a video game but in retrospect definitely my first RPG.

edited October 2019
    Lucedes wrote: »
    does Pokemon Blue count as an RPG?
    if that doesn't count for some reason, it might be Legend of Legaia.

D&D second edition? not a video game but in retrospect definitely my first RPG.

Only if Pokemon Red or Warhammer Quest count.

Otherwise my first RPG is like.. Undertale.
    Or Runescape.

discrider on
    Pokemon hella counts.

edited October 2019
    Or Ultima the Underworld.

.. Nethack seems unambiguous actually.

discrider on
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I don't really think Zelda 1 (or even 2, though it had the stats & levelling up of a JRPG) count, so for me it's DQ1's original US release as Dragon Warrior for the NES. Though the thing I remember most about it from that time was that I used to spend lots of time staring at the art by Katsuya Terada in the Nintendo Power mini-guide for it.
    xubya9k6rgbe.jpg
    I didn't really make much progress with it as I was very young. I actually didn't really come back to RPGs until Final Fantasy IV (called II at the time in North America), after which a friend from school introduced me to FF1 and I was hooked. I got back around to DQ1 later on.

Somewhere in between DQI and FFIV, I had HeroQuest by Games Workshop & Milton Bradley, which probably counts as my first tabletop RPG. Oh, does Milton Bradley's Dark Tower (1981) count? I got that second hand from one of my older brother's friends when I was young. Though I mostly just messed with the electronic display on the tower, though.

Just a heads up, I'm gonna be unavailable during the workdays Mon-Wed, but I'll be checking in at various time the rest of those days. Just wanted to warn people I won't be able to do vote logs during the lead-up to the noon vote cutoff those days.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Day 1 vote for... kime, since he volunteered.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Shit, can't edit. I meant 'they'. I don't know kime's gender (but I do know that Persona character's).

camo_sig2-400.png
  • KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    Good morning all you happy people!

The first RPG I can remember playing and actually beating the game: The Legend of Dragoon

That game had some fantastic music.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Shit, can't edit. I meant 'they'. I don't know kime's gender (but I do know that Persona character's).

You guessed right ,anyway . Also Naoto is the best Persona char.

also,
    hacnxq6dkpzq.gif
    FFIV/2 was my first RPG also. And....I'm saying "also" a lot in this message.....
    .....also

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    I don't think I've ever played a DW/DQ game before... though I've played several final fantasies and other random JRPG type games (I remember really enjoying 7th Saga).

Despite all this, I still have the original Legend of Zelda theme going through my head as I play this phalla, even though it's not a JRPG at all?

Throwing out a vote for Green for no other reason than I haven't played one of these in so long and their name most triggered my revenge-ometer.

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Zelda 2: Adventure of Link is totally a Real-Time RPG. It has experience points, spells, HP and MP.

Fight me.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
    Hi Dr Egos!!

Steam
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Original Zelda and Zelda 2 are vastly different games. I was super excited to hear about the sequel and then I saw the second game and was like "....What?". :(

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Then you saw Zelda's Adventures and you were like ...."Whaaaaaaaaaat?"