As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Le Mans 24 Hours: Please stop crashing into Sophia Flörsch

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »
    Hot Tip: F1 TV yearly subscriptions are 25% with the code EARLYBIRD25

~$60 for live races, and ~$20 for replays 2 days after the race and the other shows on F1 TV

I really, really, REALLY want to punch F1 sometimes:
    For a limited time only, new subscribers can save 25% on an annual F1 TV Subscription with Code EARLYBIRD25 *Offer valid for web orders until February 28th 2020 (not available to Canada region)

Get in line - all Australians get for their money is live timing. Still two years to go before the Foxtel exclusive broadcasting rights are reviewed ;(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    "Hey wow with no technical changes hopefully things will tighten up between the teams!"

Mercedes: "When the driver pulls on the steering wheel, it straightens the wheels out so the car can go faster!"

Dynamic toe-in, toe-out what the...?

Like, how is that not forbidden under Parc Fermé?

The short version, as I understand it, is that Mercedes' has realized that mechanically adjusting suspension while the car is not in motion is not allowed.

But, steering a car is mechanically adjusting suspension while the car is in motion. So, clearly steering is clearly explicitly permitted. So now all they have to do is make the argument that moving a wheel forwards and backwards is steering just like moving it left and right. They seem to have made that argument successfully.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Drovek wrote: »
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    "Hey wow with no technical changes hopefully things will tighten up between the teams!"

Mercedes: "When the driver pulls on the steering wheel, it straightens the wheels out so the car can go faster!"

Dynamic toe-in, toe-out what the...?

Like, how is that not forbidden under Parc Fermé?

The short version, as I understand it, is that Mercedes' has realized that mechanically adjusting suspension while the car is not in motion is not allowed.

But, steering a car is mechanically adjusting suspension while the car is in motion. So, clearly steering is clearly explicitly permitted. So now all they have to do is make the argument that moving a wheel forwards and backwards is steering just like moving it left and right. They seem to have made that argument successfully.

Motorsport.com has a good writeup for why the DAS is considered legal https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-mercedes-das-system-is-legal/4689414/

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »
    Hot Tip: F1 TV yearly subscriptions are 25% with the code EARLYBIRD25

~$60 for live races, and ~$20 for replays 2 days after the race and the other shows on F1 TV

I really, really, REALLY want to punch F1 sometimes:
    For a limited time only, new subscribers can save 25% on an annual F1 TV Subscription with Code EARLYBIRD25 *Offer valid for web orders until February 28th 2020 (not available to Canada region)

Get in line - all Australians get for their money is live timing. Still two years to go before the Foxtel exclusive broadcasting rights are reviewed ;(

Same in the UK while Sky have the live exclusive, which costs hundreds of pounds a year. I'll be sticking with Channel 4's extended highlights, which only has Silverstone live.

• Options
    Which market actually has a good deal to watch F1??

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Watching F2: Chasing the Dream on F1TV, and I forgot Hubert won in Monaco.

This is about to get very sad...

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular

It's amazing how popular the sport is when basically nobody has a good deal for watching it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020

The US's deal is pretty good right now. ESPN shows the races commercial free and we can get F1TV. It's been much, much worse.

e: I also cackle with glee over this Mercedes thing purely for the drama it's brought us. Even if the FIA bans it at this point (which, btw, it's already been banned in the 2021 regs if you read them), Mercedes still gets a massive psychological edge. I've seen some media technical gurus posit that the Mercedes is 0.5 to 1s faster than everyone else based on timing data, GPS, engine note analysis, etc. Obviously that's all conjecture until we get to Melbourne, but I also have little reason to doubt it given Mercedes run of form. Add a new trick steering system to the car and it almost becomes comical.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Mercedes steering device to be banned by FIA from 2021

GJ nipping that one in the bud FIA, I'm sure it won't come back to bite you at all and definitely isn't wasting the time & money of the other teams!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    There was wording trying to ban it in the 2021 regs five months ago. Most likely meaning that Mercedes was already talking to them about it back then.

I'm not shedding any tears for teams getting their "time and money wasted" when the top of the grid all play in the same financial playground as Mercedes. They could've thought of this but didn't.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    Yeah, but they'll all have it w/in 2 months, having spent the resources on a system that's doomed to ban-dom after one season. This isn't something that requires them to redesign the monocoque chassis. If there's an advantage here, Merc will have it for a race or three, and that's about it.

Formula One!

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Mercedes steering device to be banned by FIA from 2021

GJ nipping that one in the bud FIA, I'm sure it won't come back to bite you at all and definitely isn't wasting the time & money of the other teams!

The mechanism is against the spirit of the rules, but not against the letter so they can't actually prevent Mercedes from using it this year. But this kind of thing happens all the time, it's pretty much expected you'll waste some development budget chasing one-off advantages every year.

I figured this was how it was going to shake out since toe is frankly just as much a part of the suspension geometry as camber and caster and the rules are clear that they don't want any driver controlled geometry changes. So I assumed they'd move to close that loophole in the rules for next year.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    As far as I'm aware, the loophole is already closed for next year. It's not like they've waited until now to close it.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, the loophole is already closed for next year. It's not like they've waited until now to close it.

That's what I heard Will confirming on the F1 Paddock Pass uploaded yesterday, yep.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    One of the other talking points from testing - Racing Point. They've outright copied the Merc W10 from last year (through reverse engineering etc rather than being outright handed plans for it). On the one hand, it's a solid enough idea - Merc had a good car last year, why not just copy what obviously worked? On the other hand, it will feel a bit cheap if they leapfrog the other midfield runners this way. Ultimately it's F1 and it's within the rules. Fair play for doing a thorough job of it, but if they're able to develop it effectively is another potential problem.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    One of the other talking points from testing - Racing Point. They've outright copied the Merc W10 from last year (through reverse engineering etc rather than being outright handed plans for it). On the one hand, it's a solid enough idea - Merc had a good car last year, why not just copy what obviously worked? On the other hand, it will feel a bit cheap if they leapfrog the other midfield runners this way. Ultimately it's F1 and it's within the rules. Fair play for doing a thorough job of it, but if they're able to develop it effectively is another potential problem.

Well, it's kind of like using an old homework and getting an OK grade. This year will go to Merc again, and you're better off investing everything you have into next year's car.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    And the first breakdown of testing goes to... Ferrari. Engine failure with Vettel at the wheel.

Ferrari are also admitting they are behind Mercedes and Red Bull. Mattia Binotto straight up saying he's not as optimistic as last year.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular

honestly, the US has it pretty good right now. We get it ad-free on ESPN and we get the british announcers now instead of the horrifically awful NBC announcers from days gone by

• Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/feb/26/f1-races-australia-bahrain-vietnam-gp-coronavirus-threat

Opening three races of F1 season under threat from spread of coronavirus
    The opening three races of the Formula One season are coming under increasing threat of cancellation as the coronavirus outbreak continues to spread outside China.

The Chinese Grand Prix has already been postponed but the spread of the virus in Italy and Japan has resulted in concern that the meetings in Australia, Bahrain and Vietnam may also be affected.

• Options
    Could of blokes at work who've come down with flu-like symptoms are being treated like lepers, so the message is well and truly getting through. Read yesterday that they're only a month or so away from having to decided whether to cancel the Olympics

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    so usac/cart almost raced at Talladega?!?!?! Lets put that under the insane things that are good that they never happened 30 mph faster then the indy 500

I like indy but they also only this year finally put a windscreen in to protect the drivers and its uh gruesome to say but they really needed to be ahead of the curve considering how there isnt any runoff on ovals

Good on em for doing it but it feels like its way to late

https://youtu.be/K433p727f-0

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Shift F1's preseason primer episode for newbies is out

yes is aimed at absolute basics but I always enjoy the refresher course on the (aha) wheelers and dealers

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    The USAC / CART split single handedly caused me to not watch any open wheeled racing other than F1. Fuck Tony George.

• Options
    Drive to Survive season 2 drops today or tomorrow, hurrah!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/51652153

Bahrain and Vietnam GPs to still go ahead as planned, says F1 chief executive and mustache enthusiast Chase Carey.

He also says F1 is "heading to Melbourne" for the opening round.

I'm inclined to think "let's wait and see", with a couple of weeks yet to go and the worldwide coronavirus situation evolving by the day, but I can understand them not wanting to call off the events prematurely (or, ideally, at all).

• Options
    For Australia at least, it's a bit of a different issue than the Chinese Grand prix because Australia itself is not a Corona virus redzone. The concern with Australia is about getting personnel from the red zones, Italy and Japan, and having them actually be allowed into Australia.

cancelling the event entirely just because teams can't get some of their personnel to attend does seem like an unnecessarily drastic step. the negative fallout from cancelling the event would dwarf any negative consequences from having teams run a skeleton crew because they couldn't get all of their team members on site

• Options
    Finally available.

uxlfpzisvrp0.png

• Options
    Two episodes in.

I think, without spoilers, the most accurate review I can give is that it's just more Drive to Survive.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Yeah. Saw the first episode and its great. And this weason with Ferrari and Mercedes.

And more Guenther Steiner swearing.

• Options
    Episode 2 has the entrance of
    Rich Energy Man
    who doesn't look at all like what I was expecting but is somehow perfect.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Anger as F1 teams get go-ahead to drive on Dutch nature reserve
    The return of Formula One to the Netherlands after 35 years has become mired in controversy after two racing teams got the green light to drive across a beach nature reserve to ensure their staff avoid traffic on the way to the circuit.

The teams of Red Bull Racing and AlphaTauri will be allowed to drive from their hotels along two miles of beach within the Noordvoort reserve, a popular resting spot for seals and breeding birds located between the Zandvoort racetrack and the North Sea.

The decision was made despite protests from the Netherlands Bird Protection Association. Its director, Fred Wouters, said the damage would be particularly severe as the race is due to take place during breeding season.

For fuck's sake, you have a sport that already raises enough eyebrows when it comes to the environment, as well as one of these teams having the most famous Dutch driver on the planet.

Not a good look.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    In other news, Ferrari were probably cheating and the FIA have let them away with it:
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.fia-reaches-settlement-with-ferrari-following-2019-engine-investigation.6beur1atKeTLvJHPEuHUJW.html
    Formula 1’s governing body the FIA say they have reached a “settlement” with Ferrari following a long-running analysis into the Italian team’s 2019-spec power unit.
    If it was legal, why the need for a settlement?

altid on
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    altid wrote: »
    In other news, Ferrari were probably cheating and the FIA have let them away with it:
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.fia-reaches-settlement-with-ferrari-following-2019-engine-investigation.6beur1atKeTLvJHPEuHUJW.html
    Formula 1’s governing body the FIA say they have reached a “settlement” with Ferrari following a long-running analysis into the Italian team’s 2019-spec power unit.
    If it was legal, why the need for a settlement?

It could have been that to avoid massive penalties show us what you did and how to identify it so that another team cannot do the same thing.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Ferrari need all the help they can get. Even with the massive financial advantage F1 gives them, they still can't win.

So getting away with cheating is the most obvious next step.

• Options
    Wonder if it's as they suspected - wasn't it alleged that they were injecting fuel in between measurements so they weren't recorded? Cheeky boys

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Drive to Survive S2 is fantastic, guys.
    The mic on Steiner after Magnussen and Grosjean took each other out.

Jesus.

And Pierre Gasly losing his seat to Albon.

This series is incredible.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Strangest "Things" at the Nürburgring Nordschleife - Part 6 (11 mins)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PH_SehIw1s

• Options
    Drive to Survive S2 is fantastic, guys.
    The mic on Steiner after Magnussen and Grosjean took each other out.

Jesus.

And Pierre Gasly losing his seat to Albon.

This series is incredible.

The spa episode right after that was incredible.

Fair warning, to those who dont want to see it, they show a very quick shot of the actual crash. I believe it is the broadcasted footage. It is easy to spot it coming to turn your head if you don't want to see it. I'm not spoiling this because I think it's important for people to know and the show does not give any warning about actually showing it.

On a lighter note, i wonder if episode 7's opening was on purpose
    *Talks about Vettel not winning a championship with Ferrari*

*opening pit stop features LeClerc's ferrari*

• Options
    There is some very deliberate/playful editing in this series, in "Musical Chairs" there's a bit that boils down to
    "We're really happy with Hulkenberg at the moment, I don't know who we'd look at to replace him" Cut to very brief shot of Ocon but you'd only know if you actually recognise him.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    There is some very deliberate/playful editing in this series, in "Musical Chairs" there's a bit that boils down to
    "We're really happy with Hulkenberg at the moment, I don't know who we'd look at to replace him" Cut to very brief shot of Ocon but you'd only know if you actually recognise him.

Watching it now, and
    what renault did to Nico after what they asked of him, and he complied with, at Canada is just... fucking dirty.

But hey, its Formula 1. Cut throat doesnt even begin to describe it.

This discussion has been closed.