As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Le Mans 24 Hours: Please stop crashing into Sophia Flörsch

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    And I have been proven entirely wrong on strategy! How the hell did those tyres last?!
    I think it was because Vettel wasn't really able to close up in the end. If he had been on Hamiltons tail with 5 laps to go, I think Hamilton would have had way more problems with his tyres. But since Vettel didn't, Hamilton was able to conserve these tyres til the end.

And Verstappen keeps fucking up or gets his race fucked up. Ever since the summer break he consistently finishes behind Albon.

Albon has been a brilliant move for Red Bull. He won't be challenging Verstappen for the #1 status (despite the sentence above), but he is really putting up strong results and will help them tremendously in the constructors championship.

Ferrari didn't really fuck it up this time, just got the short end of the stick. I would love to see these kind of close races for a whole season.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Haha Vettel pushing the weird driver costume guy away. Inspector Seb in full effect.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Well, I could be proven wrong. Still very sceptical about the tyres holding out

You sir were wrong!
    Lewis puts in another champions drive. 48 laps he had on those tires, with Vettel and Bottas chasing him down with significantly fresher rubber. Interesting stat at the end there, this is the 55th time Vettel and Hamilton have finished 1-2 together. That's pretty incredible. His car also had non-insignificant damage to the floor from the earlier contact with Verstappen.

All in all the dream GP for me. Lewis wins and the title goes on to Austin where Lewis is almost sure to take it. I'll be watching from turn 12!
    Lewis, it's James.

hah, anyway it was a pretty weird race with multiple strategies and complete misses on strategy.
    I know Hamilton isn't well liked by some but this is the second race this season where he's shown absolutely brilliant tire management.
    It is annoying when he complains for 20 laps that the tires are gonna go even though he's showing how well he can manage them. It must be frustrating as hell being the tech man listening to that only to be proven right time and time again.

• altidaltid Registered User regular
    A few random thoughts:
    Great drive by Hamilton in the end. The hards lasted much longer than anyone expected them to really.

Verstappen screwed his weekend. The RB had the pace to win if he'd 1. Not got himself penalised and 2. Stayed a bit calmer in the first few laps and in touch with the others. One to forget.

Mclaren's continue to have ridiculously good starts, just a pity they can't keep pace for long after that. Another race ruined for reasons beyind his control for Norris, no idea what happened to Sainz to drop him out of the running.

Leclerc showed a touch of his immaturity again. A number of unforced lockups and excursions with basically nobody around him. I've seen him doing it all season and it'll cost him in a close contest.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    A few random thoughts:
    Great drive by Hamilton in the end. The hards lasted much longer than anyone expected them to really.

Verstappen screwed his weekend. The RB had the pace to win if he'd 1. Not got himself penalised and 2. Stayed a bit calmer in the first few laps and in touch with the others. One to forget.

Mclaren's continue to have ridiculously good starts, just a pity they can't keep pace for long after that. Another race ruined for reasons beyind his control for Norris, no idea what happened to Sainz to drop him out of the running.

Leclerc showed a touch of his immaturity again. A number of unforced lockups and excursions with basically nobody around him. I've seen him doing it all season and it'll cost him in a close contest.
    Sainz said in the post race interview that the hard tires absolutely did not work with their setup. He had zero grip and the car reacted very poorly with them.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I am happy Verstappen got the race he deserved. Everything after that was just a nice cherry on top.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    A few random thoughts:

Sainz said in the post race interview that the hard tires absolutely did not work with their setup. He had zero grip and the car reacted very poorly with them.
    Ahh that's not good news. Definitely had pace on softs and mediums.

Also, how many pit mistakes were there? One of the Alfas left without a wheel and although I haven't seen footage yet Lando was pushed back down the pit lane because of a mistake at the stop

steam_sig.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Race spoilers
    I'm not sure why everyone is so impressed with Hamilton's tyre management. Multiple drivers got more laps out of their tyres than he did, including Verstappen who managed to get an extra 15 or more laps out of his tyres, while pushing harder than Lewis, overtaking more cars, and running in dirty air more often.

I suspect the reason everyone is apparently so impressed has more to do with Lewis constantly popping up on the radio about how bad his tyres are, and not anything inherently impressive about doing 48 laps on tyres that were rated to do 50 while other drivers managed 60+ laps.

personally my suspicion is that the radio messages were a staged manipulation tactic that they were hoping to catch Ferrari with.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I will never understand the staged radio messages conspiracy theory. He's a stress complainer. Bering able to vocalize the things he's dealing with internally helps him focus. The idea that he's going through some pre-scripted staged messages with the team, or just free styling messages for the specific purpose of manipulating other teams and/or making his own performance seem better, seems completely nonsensical to me. All while he's piloting an F1 car at the limit for two hours? It's basic Occam's Razor. In one case he's just verbalizing his thoughts to the pit wall, venting some of the emotion as he's driving. In the other it's some deep planned conspiracy. Which seems more likely? The amount of assumptions you need to make to go from the former to latter is pretty extreme.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    If F1 teams could use Occam's razor to shave some time, they would.

I won't put making false calls and giving bad info out of the realm of possibility in F1. Maybe it's not the case here, but it's not that crazy.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    F1 is live in LA right now, got Ricciardo, Verstappen, Albon, and Bottas doing donuts and interviews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4IyICXI2Zg

Dhalphir on
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Oh crap, right off the bat with the live orchestra rendition of the F1 theme got me hype.

• jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    I just read this morning that the USGP will be Verstappen's 100th start in F1. Pretty remarkable for a 22 year old!

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Things that go boop on the track.

Racing and Rally Crash Compilation 2019 Week 242

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNSpArdtlJg

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    jimb213 wrote: »
    I just read this morning that the USGP will be Verstappen's 100th start in F1. Pretty remarkable for a 22 year old!

Since he started so young, obviously isn't going anywhere because he's too good to, and with the increased number of races in a year, he is in a good position to eventually break the "most starts" record in years to come, and still be a contender when he does so.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »

I hope it all works!

This man leading the press conference for 2021 has the most magnificent mustache in motorsports since Mansell.

h7qlgnq4azv5.png

Ross Brawn talking about the car's fragility.

Every race, we have one or more cars fail to perform properly because they have bits fall off, as soon as they touch the grass, as soon as they touch each other, bits fall off, and their performance is degraded. These [2021] cars have been designed to be much more robust.

edited October 2019
    Barge boards are entirely gone in the regulations. Not just ignored for the model - outright written out of the regulation. Direct quote; "It's essentially a ground effect car."

EIDT: Interestingly, they're computerizing the regulations significantly, they've developed an XYZ axis coordinate system for referring to parts of the car when discussing CAD models, so rather than having to use measurements from reference points when determining compliance they'll be able to use exact coordinates.

Dhalphir on
    edited October 2019
    Concept car looks really good. I'm not keen on the look of the wake control devices over the front tyres, or the wheel rim fairings, but I'll get used to them. (After getting used to the halo, anything is possible :wink: )

We'll see how it all pans out, I guess!

Jazz on
    es99k7jtl5m4.png

Dhalphir wrote: »
    This man leading the press conference for 2021 has the most magnificent mustache in motorsports since Mansell.

his name is chase, that's so perfect

The endplate being faired into the front wing proper, rather than being a discrete piece, is kind of trippy too.

It also looks less likely to cause punctures to rear tyres of cars in front, as it's top edge is above the majority of the tyre so you won't see cars riding up on top of a rear wing endplate and putting their weight on it like they would now.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Holy crap it is colder than a penguins asshole in Austin this morning.

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Holy crap it is colder than a penguins asshole in Austin this morning.

Yeah, this is somewhat abnormal, and you hit a real good cold snap.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Wow, the cost cap is actually going to happen.

steam_sig.png
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Kind of? If it was a whole cost cap with driver salary included in the mechanical caps then it'd be really something, but probably a bit of a sudden leap for now tbh.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Given the wide range of driver salaries and the fact that the teams only have 2 drivers, I don't see driver salaries being part of the cap. I do think the "top 3 employees" could get rolled into the cap eventually.

And really, capping the "performance" budget is pretty similar to how sports in the US do things with a salary cap. Certainly in F1 the engineering side has as much to do with team performance as the 40-odd guys who are not the QB on a football team.

steam_sig.png
    The thing is, it doesn't have to be a flawless all inclusive cost cap for it to have a positive impact. It's a linear scale, not a black and white scenario, and even if this cap has some loopholes it's going to be a lot better than nothing at all.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Yeah, very much looks like a cap on "this is the money you get to get a good car", not including the driver in that kinda makes sense. Specially now given that I image there is a very big variation in salaries.

Maybe in the future it could be part of it, but it would have to be more gradual than this, otherwise Hamilton pretty much eats your budget.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Well, even amongst that money it's conceivable that teams like Mercedes will find ways to creatively account their way through certain overspending. However, that's still going to limit them more than unfettered freedom, and any outright cheating will be very risky from the penalties that seem to be on offer.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I’m cool with the cap compromise, since it helps placate the bigger teams who would throw a fit if they couldn’t use their massive piles of cash for anything. Instead of them being able to out buy everyone else for the best car, though, it can now only be used to court the best drivers.

Obviously a strict cap would be better, but this is a great step forward, I think.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    About the sound. I'm standing at the apex of turn 10, and the acceleration is not what you would expect from the world class motorsport.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    About the sound. I'm standing at the apex of turn 10, and the acceleration is not what you would expect from the world class motorsport.

(bring back the n/a V12s!)

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Honestly they should go full electric, but not as a spec series. I would say also allow mid-race recharging, but the tech to rapidly recharge batteries or supercapacitors or whatever really doesn't exist. Ideally the world will be moving away from internal combustion engine vehicles going forward, and F1 has always liked to claim it is a driver of innovation, so they should prove it.

steam_sig.png
    Seriously, the Lamborghini that was running in the Pirelli tire challenge thing sounded the most like a race car of anything on the track.

Oh hey, Steam just informed me that F1 2019 is on a free weekend. Don't have much time, especially this particular weekend, but don't mind if I do!

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Free weekend?

Who wants to do some multiplayer?

This discussion has been closed.