As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Le Mans 24 Hours: Please stop crashing into Sophia Flörsch

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Updated the tune, but apparently I am unable to get through turn 10 cleanly tonight. Half a second up on Jazz entering turn 9/10 and then I blow it all every god damn time tonight.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Turn 10 is an asshole of a turn... Turning while braking, fairly significant height change, and sharp as all get out. I still can't quite figure it out myself.

I think I could chop about .5 to .7 off if I can figure that bastard (and 8) out.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Today's race replay is Bahrain 2014, somewhat overdramatically dubbed "the duel in the desert". Includes one hell of a fight for the lead and a demonstration of just how much better Merc were compared to the rest of the field that year.
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.when-the-hamilton-rosberg-rivalry-began-why-you-should-watch-our-2014-bahrain-stream.6Amvykld7Dr0h4uC2G2Upf.html

3pm GMT as before.

• Options
    I got an email from F1 that says I will be given a free month of F1TV to subscribers for every month F1 is postponed. Considering I bought the year package, looks like I'll have F1TV for the first couple months of next season too, so that's kinda cool.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Rewatching this race and we've just had a "Maldonado moment" as he just straight up rammed Gutiérrez while coming out of the pits into the first corner. How he lasted so long in F1 is something of a my$tery.

Funny watching this and knowing how many of the drivers and teams end up, e.g. it's Alonso's last year in Ferrari, McLaren't last year with Merc engines (until next year).
    Edit: Bianchi in the race too :(

altid on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Mercs put 4 seconds on the rest of the field in one lap after the restart. The 2014 Merc really was a beast.

altid on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    Mercs put 4 seconds on the rest of the field in one lap after the restart. The 2014 Merc really was a beast.

And it didn't even have a giant wang on its nose.

• Options
    IndyCar is doing an iRacing thing today in about 2 hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA00Yj-7ftw

Robert Wickens will drive in it!

https://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2020/03/27/robert-wickens-appears-to-be-back-in-for-indycars-first-iracing-event/
    After being scratched from the entry list of IndyCar’s first virtual event Thursday, Robert Wickens now seems to be all set to compete in Saturday’s race at Watkins Glen International.

Wickens had tweeted Thursday evening that the company initially set to provide him with the steering wheel with dual-axis analog paddles and a hydraulic handbrake had backed out and asked if anyone in the Indianapolis area would be able to help.

Fortunately, it appears that several kind members of the racing community arrived to save the day.

As first reported by Robin Miller of RACER, Gary Bettenhausen’s twin sons, Cary and Todd; Jim Leo of Pit Fit; Max Papis; and Steve Fusek and SimXperience all pitched in to provide the necessary equipment for Wickens to race.

Cary, who works at Pit Fit, offered the simulator for Wickens to race on, and Todd is providing hardware to ensure Wickens can use hand controls to race.

Papis is overnighting a steering wheel for Wickens to use, and Fusek loaned the motor to power it.

It's being dubbed his first indycar start since he was paralyzed in an accident.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Some (classic) racing still going on at the Goodwood Members' Meeting.

Daytona Cobra v GT40 battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzmIQ1G7L2k

Day 1 highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKaKRD1N5_U

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Maybe we should revive the PA Racing Steam Group?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    Been playing every few days with a group of friends. Normally do three or four races a night and while we all feel like we're getting better we have also been unable to finish a single lap at Monaco without wrecking out. I mean I always understood it was a hard track but driving it myself with like all the assists turned on that I can and it still feels impossible.

In fun news I purchased a Logitech g29, should be here Tuesday so I'm excited to start messing with that

• Options
    hiraethhiraeth SpaceRegistered User regular
    I bought motorsport manager after watching the chu-tang clan, it's pretty neat I haven't played a game all day non-stop like this since like mass effect

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Stationary wrote: »
    Been playing every few days with a group of friends. Normally do three or four races a night and while we all feel like we're getting better we have also been unable to finish a single lap at Monaco without wrecking out. I mean I always understood it was a hard track but driving it myself with like all the assists turned on that I can and it still feels impossible.

In fun news I purchased a Logitech g29, should be here Tuesday so I'm excited to start messing with that

If this is your first time with a wheel: don't despair, just accept that you will be slower in the beginning. :P

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Oh no I haven't gotten my wheel yet, this is on a controller

I'm also more excited by figuring out the track then I am distraught, I just also needed to vent about how dumb that section leading into the tunnel is.

Out of curiosity what are the multiplayer cars based on? It's what we've been using so we can use the custom livery

Stationary on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Coming soon: Grand Prix Legends hot laps?

That would be terrifying!

I think I have Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 3 flying around here somewhere, from the early 2000s. Loved that game.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    yeah, he means just be aware that the wheel will feel pretty crap for a couple days

lots of people get instant buyers remorse when they first get a wheel

• Options
    So, uh, I may have subscribed to iRacing.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    You absolute sons of bitches.

I am trying to put money aside for a new exhaust for my car and now I desperately want a wheel. I was planning on saving a bit for a Fanatec wheel, but that's not in the cards right now and grrrrrrrrr.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

I am trying to put money aside for a new exhaust for my car and now I desperately want a wheel. I was planning on saving a bit for a Fanatec wheel, but that's not in the cards right now and grrrrrrrrr.

Just think of it this way... COVID-19 is going to keep us all indoors for a bit, so do you really need that new exhaust? Really?

Sounds like a perfect time to get a wheel.

:biggrin:

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Sorry guys, I did sign up but I have had no time to play games except sneaking in Doom here and there. Work is insane.

I did watch the Nascar iRacing on TV on the weekend and I gotta say, it was pretty good.
    I hope this kind of stuff really catches on as it'll be good for the sport and the games themselves (also hardware makers :) )

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Sorry guys, I did sign up but I have had no time to play games except sneaking in Doom here and there. Work is insane.

I did watch the Nascar iRacing on TV on the weekend and I gotta say, it was pretty good.
    I hope this kind of stuff really catches on as it'll be good for the sport and the games themselves (also hardware makers :) )

Hey, if you get a chance, you're always welcome to slap down a lap, but totally get it.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    oldmanken wrote: »

Just think of it this way... COVID-19 is going to keep us all indoors for a bit, so do you really need that new exhaust? Really?

No, my car is 1.5 years old, I definitely do NOT need a new exhaust, but I WANT one. :P

Getting a wheel is a bit of task though. Can't shop for one in person, have to order one (I live in Yellowknife, that kind of stuff just isn't sold up here). I had a Logitech G27 that was constantly, perpetually, coming up as a completely different wheel in the software so it was always wonky and never worked well, and the massive increase in price for the G29 is really putting me off Logitech products.

Is there a decent wheel in the sub $500 range that I can get for PC?

• Options
    Stationary wrote: »
    Out of curiosity what are the multiplayer cars based on? It's what we've been using so we can use the custom livery

The F1 2019 multiplayer car is a new design that meets all the 2019 regs, but it's not based on one of the real cars. Ross Brawn was involved in the design, IIRC, and probably a couple of other F1 luminaries.

TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Coming soon: Grand Prix Legends hot laps?

That would be terrifying!

I think I have Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 3 flying around here somewhere, from the early 2000s. Loved that game.

GP3 was kind of the red-headed stepchild of the series, but it didn't deserve to be. It was easily up there with F1GP, GP2 and GP4, that got all the plaudits.

Grand Prix Legends, from Papyrus, was a different beast entirely, and equally brilliant - but incredibly difficult with those downforce-less, skinny-tyred, 1967-era cars.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    oldmanken wrote: »

No, my car is 1.5 years old, I definitely do NOT need a new exhaust, but I WANT one. :P

Getting a wheel is a bit of task though. Can't shop for one in person, have to order one (I live in Yellowknife, that kind of stuff just isn't sold up here). I had a Logitech G27 that was constantly, perpetually, coming up as a completely different wheel in the software so it was always wonky and never worked well, and the massive increase in price for the G29 is really putting me off Logitech products.

Is there a decent wheel in the sub $500 range that I can get for PC?

Yeah, if you can't get it for around $200, it's not worth it. The innards of the G29 are basically equal to those of the G27, with the only exception of the rotary sensor which was changed to a hall effect one (which means it doesn't break... guess which one broke on my G27?)

If you're in the $500 range, you're in Thrustmaster territory. Possibly aiming for some nice T3PA Pro pedals and/or TH8A shifter.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    I'm currently waffling between the Thrustmaster T150 and T300RS.

In Canadia, the 150 is $280 and the 300 is $480. Is the 300 worth twice the money as the 150? Anyone have any experience with either?

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    If you can I would wait for another sale on the G29.
    It happened like 3 or 4 times last year where it went sub $200.

That said, the 300 looks nice.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Can highly recommend T300 RS GT.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Hm, I'm worried about this disctinction: I can't see a T300 RS GT on Amazon, just a T300 RS.

• Options

Hm, I'm worried about this disctinction: I can't see a T300 RS GT on Amazon, just a T300 RS.

I believe the wheel is the same but the pedals differ.

• Options
    ihtd89ekv7bk.jpg

c3ffqumyt3wx.jpg

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I'm tempted to do a wheel and gear conversion on my aging G25 because it's getting a little worn and would like a bigger wheel.

The song and dance I have to do to get ancient drivers working on modern games is wearing thin too haha

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh, that's okay. I'm not interested in a clutch pedal.

• Options

The other pedals are of better quality, but I don't know by how much since I've got the GT and don't know what's different with them.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Only tangentially related to F1 but still motorsport but holy smokes the sound design of ACC is out of this world! I've never heard braking, high speed and cornering sound so freaking good. Wow. This game is gonna get it's claws in deep, I can feel it

steam_sig.png
  • Options

The other pedals are of better quality, but I don't know by how much since I've got the GT and don't know what's different with them.

The nice thing about that ecosystem is that you can upgrade the pedals to the T3PA ones at a later date, unlike with the G29 which has no direct way of doing so within Logitech.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Only tangentially related to F1 but still motorsport but holy smokes the sound design of ACC is out of this world! I've never heard braking, high speed and cornering sound so freaking good. Wow. This game is gonna get it's claws in deep, I can feel it

ACC just feels right. I love it.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    I was given the go ahead to purchase a wheel when we get our stimulus check. Can't quite afford the T300, so it looks like I'm getting the T150.

Maybe I'll get lucky and there will be a sale on a T300.

• Options
    Continuing their replays of old F1 races, they're streaming another one in full at 7pm (BST) tomorrow. What's interesting is that they've gone back into the archives and pulled out Australia 1986. Could be interesting to watch very different era to what we have now.
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.were-streaming-the-1986-australian-grand-prix-heres-why-you-should-watch.2x67Zlxwex4gVnJAVnJDdz.html

• Options
    Australia '86 was legendary.

• Options
    Checked the F1 archive for other 1986 races they have available. They have the full race for

Spanish GP
    British GP
    German GP
    Hungarian GP
    Australian GP

Might get some more 1986 action in the coming weeks, too.

This discussion has been closed.