As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Le Mans 24 Hours: Please stop crashing into Sophia Flörsch

1929394959698»

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Vettel is a god
    {/spoiler]

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    I want to see the 'Vettel Cut'.
    Also just clicked why Verstappen was so relieved at getting '87 right
    He's dating Piquet's daughter

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Though I will say that I'm going to miss Gus's chicken down by the convention center in Austin. That is some good grub.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I was pleasantly surprised by George Russell in that video, considering how poorly most of the young guys did.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    "No offense, but he should focus on driving." :D :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »
    I was pleasantly surprised by George Russell in that video, considering how poorly most of the young guys did.
    Yeah, him and Verstappen sticking it out longer than any of the veterans aside from Vettel is really impressive, but Vettel, holy.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

"Oh so you like F1? Name every world champion"

Seb: "Aight" https://t.co/hual17GLXZ

• Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »
    I don't follow MotoGP closely (except going to the race here in Austin a few years back), but this is some news:

Valentino Rossi announces retirement from MotoGP

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/valentino-rossi-announces-retirement-from-motogp/6642490/

He's probably my favorite person in motorsport. It is fairly rare to see that tier of ability and drive actually paired with pure joy in doing it for that long in any sport. It'll be interesting to see what the heck he does with all the free time. Must be really strange to retire when it has been your entire life since childhood.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Aston Martin's 'right to review' on Vettel's penalty has been denied.

They submitted evidence that the fuel cell pressure failed (likely from a failure in the fuel cell pressure relief valve), which triggered the fuel cell air pump at maximum and likely forced fuel out of the cell. All very unfortunate, but by their own conclusions there was likely less than 1L of fuel left in the tank at the end of the race. The rules don't care if you lost fuel due to a leak, so the disqualification stands.
    https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/aston-martin-fails-in-review-bid-of-vettels-hungarian-gp-dq/6645046/
    Full judgement:
    https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/decision-document/2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Decision - Aston Martin - Right of review.pdf

It's a change from their initial story (that the lift pump failed, there was fuel there that could not be extracted due to this failure). I could have seen that reasoning working if they'd been able to get a sufficient fuel sample eventually, but if it simply isn't there then there is no route to overturn the decision.
    Edit: There is still a formal appeal underway (different process to the right of review apparently), but I really can't see how it would turn out any different.

altid on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    altid wrote: »
    I want to see the 'Vettel Cut'.
    Also just clicked why Verstappen was so relieved at getting '87 right
    He's dating Piquet's daughter
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH9yXEpoMEw

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Seeing all that in one go, holy shit that is mighty.

Edit: lovely comment below:

"Everyone: Wow that’s expressive
    Seb: That’s nothing now I’m going to name which team they drove for and who their teammate was and name all their race wins and at what tracks"

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited August 2021
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Picked up tickets to the IndyCar race at my home track (PIR) in September. It's an easy light rail ride for me to get to the track. Should be a good time.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Aston Martin have bowed to the inevitable and dropped their appeal:

A pity for Seb, but ultimately the fuel simply wasn't there. It's a black and white technical infringement and there's no scope for anything but a DSQ.

altid on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Another example of toxic male thought leading to a destructive crime. There seems to be a lot of bad reporting going on around it as well, with news outlets referring to him as her "husband" but I'm fairly positive they'd been divorced for over a decade. It wasn't just some random other woman either, it was her partner of several years.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Indy Road Course was busy this weekend with both IndyCar and NASCAR events; it ended with the most ridiculous NASCAR demolition derby after one of the curbs at a turn started lifting up.

Then catching all of the cars and ripping them to shreds.

Those that went wide to avoid the curb hit a speedbump-turned-ramp instead.

Fortunately nobody was injured but it was quite a spectacular fustercluck.

• Options
    That is really going to put the cat among the pigeons for the scheduling for the year if they're still going to try to get 23 races in.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the FIA simply refuses to read my draft proposal "just race bahrain every single week since that's the only good track for this formula"

• Options
    Japan shouldn't be replaced in my opinion. It sits at the end of a flyaway triple header (Russia/Turkey/Japan) and it's at the start of October, so good luck finding somewhere outside of the middle east to fill in. Could easily push Turkey back by a week and make life much easier for the teams.

The second half of the season looks increasingly fraught. Russia probably shouldn't be hosting a GP due to covid numbers (but will anyway). I don't know if the situation in Mexico has improved enough to race there. Brazil was announced as the third sprint race so will likely happen no matter what the covid situation is like there. And we still have a 'TBC' towards the end of the year to fill (so Bahrain again).

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    the FIA simply refuses to read my draft proposal "just race bahrain every single week since that's the only good track for this formula"

I'm just glad someone finally read that "turn on the sprinklers 5 minutes before the formation lap" proposal.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Japan shouldn't be replaced in my opinion. It sits at the end of a flyaway triple header (Russia/Turkey/Japan) and it's at the start of October, so good luck finding somewhere outside of the middle east to fill in. Could easily push Turkey back by a week and make life much easier for the teams.

The second half of the season looks increasingly fraught. Russia probably shouldn't be hosting a GP due to covid numbers (but will anyway). I don't know if the situation in Mexico has improved enough to race there. Brazil was announced as the third sprint race so will likely happen no matter what the covid situation is like there. And we still have a 'TBC' towards the end of the year to fill (so Bahrain again).

Japan filled another niche, unfortunately - as Turkey is still on the UK's "red list" regarding immigration and Covid, anyone returning to the UK from there would need to quarantine for ten days, which is unfeasible for F1. Going to Japan first (Japan is on the "amber list") would have effectively meant they could serve out their ten days in Japan before returning to the UK.

I suspect they'll try and replace it for that reason alone. But with what is a whole different question.

Jazz on
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    So the 24 Hours of Le Mans has completed its funky new qualifying format, where they have the traditional qualifying session and then the top 6 in each class later have a hyperpole session. I mean I kind of get it, and nice to have less traffic on the course for the hyperpole session at least, but I fail to see why any of the 5 car Hypercar (seriously?) class should bother going out in the regular session, or if they do why they should try very hard then, since the final grid for the top 6 (5) appears to be set during the second session.

I'm also not really sure why they changed the name of the LMP1 class to Hypercar, since there is at least one of last year's LMP1 cars in the Hypercar class this year. I guess this "new" class is attempting to cut down on costs (like a lot of other high end racing series out there), so maybe next year we'll see more than 5 of the top class in competition.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Yeah Hypercar is a new regulation category that replaces LMP1 primarily to cut costs and make it more attractive for manufacturers because it ended up being a category of one (Toyota... And Rebellion, I suppose) . Which manufacturer was running a LMP1 spec car? Maybe they changed the guts of it and took out all the electrical stuff

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I believe the Alpine entry is a grandfathered LMP1, I'm not really sure what they had to do to it to make it acceptable though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I subscribed to F1TV, the base plan to watch old races and the other neat stuff they have on there.

Am starting with How the Season was Won. 2014, 2007 and 1999 are the 3 they have.

The 2007 season looked wild for you that experienced it. 4 legit title contenders and Lewis just looking incredible from race 1 as a rookie (am only halfway through this one).

Any specific races or even full seasons to queue up when I'm done with these 3?

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I’ve been casually checking in on Le Mans throughout the day - and literally every time I turn the TV on there has been another incident. Endurance racing seems pretty wild.
    One of the incidents looked quite bad with a car hit while stranded sideways on the track. Thankfully appeared that nobody was hurt as the other car had slowed as much as possible before impact, but still one of the worst type of impacts you can have.

Edit: Clip of the incident from the official twitter acc. Onboard shot is a bit unnerving.
    Edit 2: As if to prove my point, I turn on the TV and the Alpine immediately beaches itself in a gravel trap.

altid on
  • Options
    Yeah endurance racing is wild because of all the different types of cars on the track, combined with the fatigue factor. These guys are also some of the most competitive people on the planet, so you end up with some incidents that you might not expect.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Could people please stop crashing into Sophia Flörsch. Please.

I don't know what she's done to deserve such appalling luck sometimes, I really don't. Glad she can at least walk away from that one.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Le Mans was prety fun overall!
    I was very surprised to see the flag waver actually on track at the end though. Tradition is fun and all that, but they also demonstrated why it's a really bad idea:

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Welcome to Rawe Ceek!

Looks like it's going to be uneventful, except for the tiny, minor detail of authorities investigating Toto and Lawrence Stroll for insider trading

https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2021/08/23/megatransaction-en-f1-sous-enquete

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Le Mans was prety fun overall!
    I was very surprised to see the flag waver actually on track at the end though. Tradition is fun and all that, but they also demonstrated why it's a really bad idea:

I think the LMP2 was racing for the class win in a dying car, and isn't helped when the Toyota's back up for the photo finish and nobody else wants to do another lap

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Formula 1 has announced a new award that will honour the driver who makes the most overtaking moves during a season.

Oh, that sounds neat and yeah as mentioned in the article, its one for those punchy midfielders to go for (Seb is currently winning)

wait...I'm, yes, I'm just hearing that we're getting a lot of bullshit on this line
    F1’s director of commercial partnerships Ben Pincus said: “We’re delighted to be expanding our partnership with Crypto.com as we introduce the Overtake Award which will integrate the brand into F1 throughout the season, in addition to the title partnership of the F1 Sprint Events.

“The Crypto.com Overtake Award gives us the chance to celebrate drivers’ instincts to make bold and strategic moves which reflects the qualities needed when dealing in cryptocurrency.

fuck offfff

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    if cryptocurrency was really your line in the sand for Formula One corporate sponsorship im not sure what to tell you

• Options
    Figured I'd get a new thread started before Belgium, so...

NEW THREAD!!!
    NEW THREAD!!!
    NEW THREAD!!!

@Bogart could you please close this one, thank you very much :)

• Options
    (Or @Elki , @Shivahn , @Jacobkosh , @ElJeffe or whoever is around)

This discussion has been closed.