As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Le Mans 24 Hours: Please stop crashing into Sophia Flörsch

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Honestly the first thing I think of still when it comes to Le Mans is Test Drive Le Mans on the Dreamcast. For its time that game was awesome, especially the day/night cycle.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I've driven the Audi and Porsche LMP1 cars at the last two iRacing Le Mans events and it's been thrilling. Those cars are so crazy fast, you spend the entire race slicing through much slower traffic. It's become one of my favorite events of the year.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I've driven the Audi and Porsche LMP1 cars at the last two iRacing Le Mans events and it's been thrilling. Those cars are so crazy fast, you spend the entire race slicing through much slower traffic. It's become one of my favorite events of the year.

That sounds like some great times.

I've honestly been really curious towards doing endurance racing, but I've never really gotten actually started to doing some work for any particular event/race.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    edited May 2020
    I started by just asking if any teams needed a driver on the iRacing reddit. Found a team that needed a driver for the 24 hours of Daytona and just did it. It was a good race, didn't really work out as a long term team for me, but it did get my name in to the community and by the next race I had found a more permanent team that does all the big events, which is who I race with now.

That said, our team is starting to slow a bit after a couple of years together, people just sort of finding other stuff to do with their time...and none of them really want to drive the LMP1 this year (for which reasons escape me), so for Le Mans this year I may be branching out a little and trying to find a team that needs an experienced LMP1 driver.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    I started by just asking if any teams needed a driver on the iRacing reddit. Found a team that needed a driver for the 24 hours of Daytona and just did it. It was a good race, didn't really work out as a long term team for me, but it did get my name in to the community and by the next race I had found a more permanent team that does all the big events, which is who I race with now.

That said, our team is starting to slow a bit after a couple of years together, people just sort of finding other stuff to do with their time...and none of them really want to drive the LMP1 this year (for which reasons escape me), so for Le Mans this year I may be branching out a little and trying to find a team that needs an experienced LMP1 driver.

Maybe I'll give something like that a go later this year. Once I grab some car/series that looks interesting to race (or just go ACC) and get some good times down, I'll probably look for a team/community.

Might be too early for this one, though. :P

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Maybe if there is enough interest we could do a PA Forums team. We are spread around the world enough to easily cover a full 24 hour race

Also, :crackle: HURRAY :crackle:, I no longer have the number 9 after my name in iRacing! I had to add my middle initial and make me even more identifiable, which I am not a fan of, but I hate having numbers in my online names even more.

Veevee on
    edited May 2020
    Yeah, I had to go with my full first, middle initial and full last to not have a number. Which is unfortunate because I don't like being addressed by my full first name, but people naturally do it when you have it as your name in iRacing.

That said I long ago gave up the illusion that someone couldn't find my name, address, phone number, and likely much more important details about my life if they really wanted to hunt.

GnomeTank on
  • PolarisPolaris I am powerless against the sky. Registered User regular
    Anyone else think Sainz is going to be more than a backup driver for Leclerc ? I mean Sainz must the the most underrated driver on the grid right now if that's the case, that guy is *fast*. He gave Verstappen a run for his money in the Toro Rosso, which Riccardo also did at Red Bull. Riccardo if you recall convincingly beat Vettel as did Leclerc. Sainz is Riccardo/Verstappen class fast, he and Leclerc will be roughly equal.

I cannot wait for 2021 for 10 million reasons but this is one more.

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if Sainz has a storming season next year. Doesn't really matter though, as LeClerc is 'the future.' I am excited to see Riccardo back in a decent car.

Finally had a chance to do some F1 laps tonight (let's not talk about ACC, Brands hates me). A 1:35.451 felt pretty good to me, and I think if I get a chance I can definitely iron out some mistakes and get a few seconds chopped off.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i am painfully disappointed by literally everything going on in F1 right now

also fucking Alonso still aping for a comeback... please go away.

• altidaltid Registered User regular
    More rumour mongering - suggestions that the government may not allow an exemption for F1 on the 14 day quarantine thing. If so, it would kill the silverstone races and cause longer term problems with the majority of teams being based in the UK..

As for Alonso, no idea which way it's going to go. Renault need a driver and most of the good options are already taken. Alonso would give them visibility if nothing else.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i am painfully disappointed by literally everything going on in F1 right now

also fucking Alonso still aping for a comeback... please go away.

I think F1 is less interesting without Alonso in it, to be honest. Don't mind if he does come back, although I have a feeling he won't find a world championship drive anytime soon.

Finally out of rookie class for road racing. Took 13 races, 4 of them while I was above 2.9 and kept getting rear ended, but I did it.

Did get 1 win though

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    shame on this thread for not caring at all about iracing until after i move into a house not large enough to contain a rig

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Project Cars 2 would be my recommendation. It's more on the sim side of simcade, but was made to be played with a controller, supports more advanced peripherals if you ever do decide to go there and has an incredible numbers of cars, from race cars to street stuff.

For anyone interested, this is $10 on humble bundle for another day or so.

I downloaded earlier and hopefully I’ll give it a spin when I get home from work.

Realised it was the last day for France, and I've procrastinated again. Initial attempts started badly but got into slightly more respectable territory by lap 4 (which is just as well as IRL time for this go was running short by then).
    r4u9s85l40sx.jpg

1:32.745. I'll try and have another crack at it before I change it over to Austria later tonight. I feel all at sea on this track so I was quite pleased with that for a relatively early stab at it.

@altid , just a heads up that you're not on the spreadsheet yet :)

edited May 2020
    Wouldn't you know, you've just pipped my time as well! :D
    It does seem like the controller field has slimmed down quite a bit though. Added my time, probably going to give it another crack though now that I have a target!

Edit: Did manage to do better!... but still not beat you. Somehow managed to land in that tiny window between the two times on a 1:32.757

altid on
    edited May 2020
    Did better than I thought, then! :biggrin:

I'll switch it over probably somewhere around 11pm-12am UK time, so you've got a bit longer if you want another go :+1:

Jazz on
    edited May 2020
    Okay, closed down France, ten minutes to midnight. Hopefully that was long enough.

Next up in PA Forums F1 Hot Laps is Austria! One of the most scenic tracks on the calendar, and one of the two official homes (alongside the factory base at Milton Keynes) of Red Bull, so rather appropriately I thought we could use the 2019 Red Bull for this track, which gave Max Verstappen the fastest lap of the race last year on the way to his, er, controversial victory.

Also, fair warning: when we roll around to Silverstone next week, I've got a classic car in mind...

Jazz on
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I’ve been unable to put any time into racing games lately. Figures as soon as I decide to re-setup my wheel and pedals, my life would get extra busy again.

Always the way, isn't it. Hope to see you back on the leaderboard soon :)

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    not all heroes wear capes

some wear black McLarens

https://streamable.com/6qdp3f

I just finished scheduling the inaugural season for the PA league on iRacing. Except the Skip Barber, it's all free cars and tracks, so I encourage everyone to participate. So far it's had a really nice mix of skill levels.

I love how the abundance of trees right next to the track are mentioned as a positive! :lol:

So I just took part in a guinea pig test training with the Driver61 Academy (great tips on Youtube, by the way.) They're already into sim racing training but they're planning to take on F1 2019 (and later) because a lot of people start on those games, specially now with the current situation and all that. So they were gauging how that would look, the kind of things that they would ask people to do, people in various places, etc. Special guest instructor was TRL Limitless himself.

It was tons of fun!

This was the first time I've ever had anyone coach my (sim)racing, and while it's intimidating, it's also pretty useful to have someone look over at what you're doing (and not doing) and have you try a few changes over some laps. (I also get spun out easily when someone says my name in the middle of a corner.) Basically gained 1.5s in my lap around Silverstone by the end of the 90 minutes session. So, what's cool is that while some tips given to us were of the "OK, so this is how you can find some extra time in this game. It wouldn't work on another sim or in real life, but it's OK here.", a lot of them were more fundamental driving tips that you could take to other places.

Just wanted to share here. :D

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Managed a 1:05.785 around Austria after an awful lot of trying.

Track limits are definitely a thing here, mostly because a good time requires using a lot of track in some places and the game can be picky about what it allows. Turn 1 for example - You really need to go wide on the entry and take a fair amount of kerb on the inside to widen the corner and keep speed up. Problem is it's very easy to get wrong, and running wide on exit will also delete the lap. The final two corners are also quite tricky with high speed and a tightish line often leading to lap deletions.

Pleasant enough track to go round though. I must admit I was suprised by how short the lap actually is. One of the things I love about doing these laps is just getting a better appreciation of what the track is like. Even if the game isn't realistic, you still get a feel for how each corner flows into the next and what it looks like from track level, something I've never really fully got from TV alone.

edited May 2020
    And another driver tanks their career due to unsporting behaviour in a sim race scenario:
    https://the-race.com/formula-e/abt-audi-suspended-simracing-scandal-imposter/

The short version is Daniel Abt wasn't doing very well in Formula E's online race series, so got an esports sim racer to drive for him instead. Got a podium, got caught out (most notably by Stoffel Vandoorne), IP addresses confirmed it and now he's been slapped with suspensions, fines and 'suspended' (very much the 'dropped' type of suspended) by Audi. While the sim series might not matter much for evaluating their actual driving ability, it does seem to be an excellent test of character - and given that scandals always have a negative PR effect, it has very real consequences as well.

altid on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    "the cars are fake but the racing is real"

Dhalphir wrote: »
    "the cars are fake but the racing is real"

What I've loved out of all the virtual races is that they could've just let it slide, but instead went to punish it as a serious offense.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    edited May 2020
    I should probably post the origin of the quote rather than implying it's my own, even if I remembered the wording incorrectly;

Dhalphir on
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    If someone told me that a driver using a racial slur on a live mike during a video game race wasn't the worst way to self-ruin a racing career, I wouldn't have believed it.

Which way do you think this goes, ABT Sportsline cuts ties with Audi, or really awkward Abt family dinners for Daniel?

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I should probably post the origin of the quote rather than implying it's my own, even if I remembered the wording incorrectly;

God I was so happy for him getting that win. Really unfortunate to crash out last year and I think he got punted the year before.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

evilbob wrote: »

God I was so happy for him getting that win. Really unfortunate to crash out last year and I think he got punted the year before.

Only thing that sucked was he not getting an invite to the NotGP of Monaco, which stopped him from getting the virtual triple crown.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It's kinda funny that the motorsport thread is now the thread with the most overlap with the PA comic.

edited May 2020
    After leaving it late, yet again, I felt confident I could give @altid a good run at Austria. But it just wasn't to be. For a relatively short circuit, with only eight real corners to speak of (despite which, offering three DRS zones) and a lap time of little more than a minute, it's a remarkably tricky track. Each of those corners is varied, deceptive and just waiting to trip you up, and it's so incredibly easy to either lose time in a corner or go out of the track limits.

My 1:05.917 got within two tenths, but that's an eternity out on the track.
    6q9kq0ob5lu8.jpg

Anyone else, get your times up on the spreadsheet. We'll move on to Silverstone within the hour. And, celebrating the best of British (which will make a nice change from the IRL shitshow(s) currently dominating this beleaguered isle), we'll take the classic car I promised you: the iconic, extraordinary beast that is the 1992 Williams FW14B. Yes, folks, there was a time when Williams was the team to beat, and this is the car that probably stands as their greatest masterpiece.

Jazz on
    Very close indeed!

Agreed on how tricky the track is in general. There weren't many parts of it that I could do consistently well. As you say, very easy to mess up or hit track limits. 3/4/5 I found very hard to judge exactly the amount of throttle needed and when it could be applied. The last two corners were a complete rollercoaster, with a bit of gambling on track limits. If you're interested, thought I'd upload the lap again for the sake of it (and also because it looks so much easier when you aren't actually driving it). Link in spoiler.

edited May 2020
    You did very well not to get dinged on track limits for cutting turn one! Millimetres in limits! And to a lesser extent, nine. I kept catching you a little in eight, then you seemed to leap forward at nine.

Jazz on
    You can understand why I occasionally get frustrated at track limits when I'm pushing lines like that :P . There were many, many attempts where the game was not as ok with it. Especially on that last corner, which has the added bonus of deleting your next lap as well.

I'd narrowed the guesses for silverstone down to the FW-14B, the FW19 or possibly the MP4-23 - which covers nearly all of the successful 'british' cars in the F1 2019 collection, so not like I could go that far off! Did a few sighters and ended on a 1:39.4. Seems to need an awful lot of throttle control around a lot of the corners, but also have to dial in the setup a bit more.

This discussion has been closed.