As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Le Mans 24 Hours: Please stop crashing into Sophia Flörsch

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Stroll is a fine driver I just can't stand the dude personally.
    Same as Alonso, amazing driver, seems like an ass.

This is such a weird take. Can you give an example of something Stroll has done that makes him seem like an ass?

he either asked for or allowed his team to give a multi-world-champion driver the yellow t-pylon on his team...

I don't understand this. What is a yellow t-pylon?

The cameras used for oboard footage on the cars come in two colours - black and yellow. The colour helps to identify which car you're looking at. The yellow camera tended to go to the #2 driver in a team.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »

This is such a weird take. Can you give an example of something Stroll has done that makes him seem like an ass?

he either asked for or allowed his team to give a multi-world-champion driver the yellow t-pylon on his team...

I don't understand this. What is a yellow t-pylon?

the camera pods are coloured either black or yellow, with the black pod typically going to the more senior driver at the team. for an example of an incoming driver getting the "senior" pod, Danny Ric has it at McLaren and Alonso has it at Renault Alpine

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Stroll comes across as whiny and/or mentally weak in the first two drive to survive seasons.

• Options
    I wouldn't trust DTS to represent anything close to reality. It's well know that they do an awful lot of 'editorializing', to the point of literally making shit up at times.

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    I think Stroll seems like a pleasant enough guy, if not super charismatic. That's just my take as a pretty casual fan, though.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Yeah, don't understand the negative take on Stroll as a person. Every time I see the guy speak, he seems pleasant. In extended interviews he acknowledges the advantages that having a rich dad gives him. He seems like he was raised right which is saying a lot for mega rich kids. Lets not forget he's 22 years old. I did not sound as well put together at 22 as he does.

We're going to pin our distaste on the camera pod color he chose to take? Using DTS as a definitive source of anything about a team or driver is silly.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I meant to add a "for what it is worth" which is not much to my last post. I agree that DTS shouldn't be a definitive source for anyone.

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    DTS took radio from Lando complaining about Perez turning in on him, and edited it into the pass on Sainz to try to manufacture a bit of drama.

I enjoy the dramatic stories, but they don't have anything to do with what actually happens.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Not sure you can blame it on him. But the first Canadian GP he was in...might as well have been the Stroll GP. I think there were as many banners for him hung up as for Heineken(Along with the Stroll grandstand lol), and none of the Canadians I talked to all weekend gave 2 fucks about him.

Also F1 Twitch moderators have banned WeSayNotoMazepin from their twitch chat. Which, like I'm sure people spamming it are annoying, but also unless you are gonna ban his name aint gonna stop people.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

If this is the best that anyone can come up with then I think it's safe to assume nobody complaining about Stroll has a logical leg to stand on.

• Options
    Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Is Tsunoda an asshole for demanding or not insisting Gasly have the black pod instead of him, as well?

I don't get the impression that Stroll or Vettel give a damn about what color the camera pod on their car is. I'd reckon most of the grid doesn't care either outside of maybe Max and Alonso.

Dark White on
    jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Honestly, I read the initial post on camera pod colour as sarcasm. I don't think it was meant to be taken as an actual criticism of Stroll.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I remember back in the day when the Ferraris had black wings (before the T-cams I think), they put the yellow flashes on one of the cars' front wings too. Made them super easy to spot when in a camera angle where the car was charging towards you down a straight.

Jazz on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    fwiw I don't care about Stroll, I was explaining the pod thing. A large part of why I don't care is that he's getting more consistent and making fewer silly mistakes so it's less obvious he's a pay driver. (I reckon he could get a second string seat on merit now as well)

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    The negativity surrounding Stroll has always been a bit confusing to me, as a relatively recent fan of F1. I don't really keep up with the other championships - are they basically a joke?

Because Stroll won multiple championships before joining Williams in F1 - with so many people saying he doesn't belong, that he's only there because of money, are all those other championships basically something that can be bought? My impression was that it's less elite than F1, but still competitive, and winning isn't something that happens by accident.

Like I said, I don't watch any racing aside from F1 so I don't really know if that's accurate or not.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Stroll seems fine to me, he may be a pay driver but he's been performing pretty well. I don't really have much opinion about his personality as I haven't seen much with him in it. I think he's youngest to be on an F1 podium and youngest to start from the front row? Solid accomplishments no matter the circumstances (not like it was a race where only six cars participated or something silly like that).

I saw a video on youtube just now about the Albert Park changes, and I previously hadn't known they had changed the track at all. Hopefully this might mean less of a pile up at turn 1? They made some lofty claims about four or five areas with overtaking opportunities, I'll believe that when I see it with the current regs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    The value of an F3 or F2 championship is going to be heavily influenced by the strength of the competition for the year it was won. I can't remember when Stroll won his so I can't say for sure. As an example people have noted that the F2 championship Mick won last year wasn't the strongest field ever.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Stroll skipped F2 entirely after winning the 2016 F3 European championship.

The main problems with jumping ahead are that it's harder to evaluate their actual talent and that the driver will be seriously lacking in experience, particularly in high performance single seaters. Arguably even Verstappen (who was also rushed into F1) demonstrated this lack of experience in his early F1 years, particularly in wheel to wheel racing. Indeed, Verstappen's entry into F1 led to upping the requirements for a superlicense for entry into F1.

Another good comparison is between Russell and Stroll. Both competed in the Formula 3 European championships in 2015 and 2016. Stroll went off to F1 after that (and arguably got in because he brought a lot of money to Williams). Russell instead went on to win GP3 in his first year, then went on to win F2 the year after before entering F1. Having such strong performances in feeder series is why Russell is considered a stronger driver than Stroll.

• Options
    Was last year's F2 championship weak? I mean I'm pretty sure Tsunoda was part of that season right? And he's looking pretty great in an F1 car honestly. Makes me wonder what Mick Schumacher could do in a better car than the Haas. Then again I looked it up, and while Tsunoda was third in the championship, Mazepin was fifth and he has looked pretty bad so far, though in an admittedly poor car. So maybe it really wasn't that strong of a field overall.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I'm not an F2 expert, but the refrain around the sport has been that last year was not a particularly strong F2 field.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Those of you with the F1 2020 game - I'm thinking about picking it up, wondering if it'll scratch my itch. I played Forzas for years but they're too easy (and I hate how the AI cheats). I had fun with Project Cars and then Project Cars 2 for a while, but as I got into faster cars the inability to correct mistakes with a controller started driving me nuts. I used to play with a wheel but don't have one anymore, and with a controller it feels like if I make one tiny mistake (or get bumped by another car) what should just cost me some time or a couple places correcting it is 100% a one-way ticket to spinsville. It got so frustrating I just stopped playing racing games for a while.

Is F1 2020 better about that? I've read it's fairly controller friendly, so I'm wondering if I can get races that are challenging and have fast opponents without either (1) the AI cheating (e.g. getting phony speed on the straights) or (2) having to set assists to make it so hard for myself that the car's a nightmare to drive.

• Options
    I would say so, yeah, although doubtless someone else could get more in-depth about it than I. If the AI cheats, I've not noticed it, and that's something the F1 games have generally been good about - plus you can tweak the AI difficulty with a numbered slider so it's super granular. Assists wise you can have as much or as little as you want; 2020 also added a "casual handling" mode (that I haven't tried) in an attempt to smooth the difficulty curve for newer players or those less familiar with how F1 cars behave gameplay-wise compared to nearly every other racing game, so that may be helpful. But even without that mode you have a lot of control over the level of assists you can use. And that is entirely separate from the AI difficulty slider, so I'm sure you'd be able to find a balance that would suit you - from your post I'm guessing you'd like a moderate level of assists (definitely useful with a controller, which I use as well, you're not alone) but AI cranked up a fair bit, which you can absolutely do.

• Options
    The F1 games also can make use of gyro controls for steering, if you are using something that has that option like a DS4 or Steam Controller. I found it made the experience a lot better for me compared to trying to use the analog stick.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Thanks, that's all the nudge I need for $18!

Maybe someone already posted this Deep Dive on Hamilton v Verstappen (from last week) but I'm struck by having that kind of telemetry available to fans. It's cool to see it compared like that.

• Options
    Heads up for PC players - F1 2020 is in Humble Choice this month.

• Options
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    Thanks, that's all the nudge I need for $18!

Maybe someone already posted this Deep Dive on Hamilton v Verstappen (from last week) but I'm struck by having that kind of telemetry available to fans. It's cool to see it compared like that.

As someone who does a lot of sim racing, I love analyzing their brake and throttle inputs. The amount of micro-corrections they both do shows how on the edge they are when driving these cars, lap after lap. Especially their braking traces are smooth progression from full braking to the off the pedal, but inside that smooth progression off the pedal are tons of little modulations to brake at the peek of adhesion,

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    DTS took radio from Lando complaining about Perez turning in on him, and edited it into the pass on Sainz to try to manufacture a bit of drama.

I enjoy the dramatic stories, but they don't have anything to do with what actually happens.

I'm unfamiliar with F1 Racing but have been watching DTS in my post covid vaccine fever haze. I think I have a new sport to follow but it's good to know this show is presenting some bullshit.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Mulletude wrote: »

I'm unfamiliar with F1 Racing but have been watching DTS in my post covid vaccine fever haze. I think I have a new sport to follow but it's good to know this show is presenting some bullshit.

there's nothing wrong with them doing so. it's just important to know it's what they're doing. they did not set out to create a documentary and they haven't done so.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

there's nothing wrong with them doing so. it's just important to know it's what they're doing. they did not set out to create a documentary and they haven't done so.

The show has been fascinating no matter. It's opened up an interest in racing I've never had before.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    @chuck steak See, it's not just you! :)

• Options
    Hulkenberg has joined racing point Aston Martin as test/development driver

completely missed this from earlier, but excellent to see he's going to be able to keep his hand in

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Hulkenberg has joined racing point Aston Martin as test/development driver

completely missed this from earlier, but excellent to see he's going to be able to keep his hand in

Also, even though he missed out on the Red Bull seat, Helmut Marko praised Hulkenberg to the nines... as a commentator. Apparently the ratings in Germany go through the roof when he's commentating. Which is good, F1 needs to get its German audience back. But it'll always be a shame when he's not in a race seat.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I still.dont get the hulk love sorry

Pastor Maldonado hasmore podiums then him and Montoya has been brilliant in Indy and IMSA

I guess it's cause European cause he aint ever actually got results

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    He's rarely ever had the car to get results. The love affair with Hulkenburg is that early in his career he was tagged by a lot of people who know what they are talking about to be a great up and coming driver. Then his career just never took the right turns. There is a huge amount of luck involved with getting a top seat in F1. There are very very few Hamilton's or Verstappen's who can motivate a team to open a seat for them basically at will. His availability just never lined up with a top ride when he was at his prime as a driver. He's damn talented but he got mired in the mid field and than his shelf life as a top F1 driver basically expired. Once you're in your late 20's, early 30's, if you aren't already well established at a top team it's tough to make that step. There's a soft spot for him, especially in long time F1 fans, because it never felt like he got a clean, fair shot.

Not really sure what comparing him to Pastor "Checkers or Wreckers" Maldonado or Juan Montoya has to do with anything.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    He also just comes off as very likable in interviews and appearances and it seems as other drivers and figures in the sport like him. Just makes him easy to root for.

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    F1 2021 game deets! https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.new-tracks-new-modes-and-release-date-codemasters-announce-key-details-for.73t8jZtaYMBVhxGXzoAaVy.html

Codemasters have announced that F1 2021, the new edition of the official Formula 1 game, will be released on July 16 – and is available to pre-order now!

The new game will include three new tracks which will feature in the real world Formula 1 championship this season, with the Portimao, Imola, and Jeddah circuits available as free post-launch content.

Meanwhile the Braking Point story mode will take players on an immersive journey from Formula 2 to the glamorous world of F1. Oh, and F2 rival Devon Butler makes a return too...

Pre-order F1 2021 now and receive pre-order bonuses including early access

Career mode also gets a huge update: friends are able to join your career online and play co-operatively – or choose a rival team and race against you, each player having full control over their driving assists. Furthermore, Real-Season Start enables players to begin at any point in the season, with real-time drivers' and constructors' standings reflected in game.

Driver-manager mode My Team returns, as does two-player split-screen, shorter-season options for both F1 and F2 Esports – plus Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5 get next-gen visuals and faster loading times.

F1 2021 is available to pre-order now, and players who pre-order the Standard Edition receive the Braking Point Content Pack (in-game items inspired by the new story experience's fictional characters) plus 5,000 PitCoins.

Those ordering the Digital Deluxe Edition receive seven iconic F1 drivers for use in My Team, customisation content, 18,000 PitCoins, the Braking Point Content Pack and three days early access. F1 2021 also supports Xbox Smart Delivery and PlayStation's free upgrade when players switch to the Xbox Series X|S or PlayStation 5.

“Braking Point is an exciting innovation that has been years in the making. We are proud to expand the game experience and allow players to live the highs and lows of life in Formula 1® both on and off the track,” said Lee Mather, Franchise Game Director at Codemasters. “Braking Point transforms the game and puts players centre stage in the greatest racing spectacle on the planet.”

“We are creating more choice and new ways to play. Real-Season Start allows players to align their career to the F1® season,” said Paul Jeal, F1 Senior Franchise Director at Codemasters. “The addition of two-player Career brings new challenges to the iconic game mode. Players can now choose to play co-operatively and share in the success or compete and strive for personal glory.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrJ8PddAMIw

Not gonna lie, I'm a little sad they didn't include "the 2020 season as it actually happened", I guess you could do it as a custom season but you'd still be missing Mugello, Istanbul Park and the Nurburgring. But I do understand they only have a finite amount of development bandwidth in a year and they've said repeatedly that building the tracks is the single most time-consuming thing - and they already had three they needed to make for 2021, plus giving everything a next-gen coat of paint.

Also, PC specs on Steam say 80GB of storage required. So approximately double what 2020 or 2019 needed... hell, that's a third bigger than Cyberpunk 2077... :eek:

Jazz on
  • Options
    Still no VR so I will continue to ignore it. They won't get another of my dollars for the F1 games until VR is supported.

• Options
    HadesHades Registered User regular
    Want to see every spin from Nikita Mazepin in Formula 1? https://mazesp.in/
    Includes a time since last spin counter.

• Options
    HadesHades Registered User regular
    Quali
    Good to see both Williams making it out of the first round.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Qualy ending:
    Perez P2 OMFG!!!

Let's go my man!!!

steam_sig.png( < . . .
This discussion has been closed.