As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Le Mans 24 Hours: Please stop crashing into Sophia Flörsch

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Just popping in to mention F1 2019 just got dropped as part of the latest Humble Bundle. If you like what this bunch is up to as far as the racing (I know I do), you can get your own copy of F1 2019 (and a handful of other fun stuff) for $15 (which beats the hell out of paying $60 full price on Steam)! You could grab a bunch of the DLC with all that savings!

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Just popping in to mention F1 2019 just got dropped as part of the latest Humble Bundle. If you like what this bunch is up to as far as the racing (I know I do), you can get your own copy of F1 2019 (and a handful of other fun stuff) for $15 (which beats the hell out of paying $60 full price on Steam)! You could grab a bunch of the DLC with all that savings!

I hope you'll join us in the Hot Laps if you get stuck into F1 2019!

It's a pretty great bundle.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/codemasters-2020-bundle

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    More race cancellations: Singapore, Baku and Japan. Baku was a given, Singapore slightly more surprising given it was later in the season (20 Sept) but any disruption was likely to hit a street circuit. Japan is a surprise. At least this early anyway. Proper track so behind closed doors would have been an option, and again far enough in the future that I would have thought they'd hold off cancellation until closer to the date.

The BBC also points to concern over the US, Mexico and Brazilian races as all three have large outbreaks still.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53020714

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    More race cancellations: Singapore, Baku and Japan. Baku was a given, Singapore slightly more surprising given it was later in the season (20 Sept) but any disruption was likely to hit a street circuit. Japan is a surprise. At least this early anyway. Proper track so behind closed doors would have been an option, and again far enough in the future that I would have thought they'd hold off cancellation until closer to the date.

The BBC also points to concern over the US, Mexico and Brazilian races as all three have large outbreaks still.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53020714

Given that the Hermanos Rodríguez Is pretty much still a makeshift hospital, I really have my doubts.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    there's really no way that we get a Mexico or Brazilian race, and the USA is super dumb rn.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    We may still get Middle East races, I guess, although I don't recall hearing how Bahrain and Abu Dhabi are doing pandemic-wise. Basically it's just them and Russia left and last I heard Russia wasn't doing well.

At this point I'll be impressed enough if we get the full eight European races.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    There's a lot of speculation about other european tracks being asked to step in and host races. I've heard mention of Imola and Mugello, along with Hockenheim. There was also some notion of hosting Canada later in the year and possibly China (who claim to be over the pandemic). How much of it happens we'll have to see, but I'd certianly welcome a few of them as one off races. I suspect the calendar for the year will likely be made up on the fly though.

Did a number of Hockenheim laps with the default settings, ended up with a 1:14.162. First thoughts: damn this track is narrow! I hadn't realised quite how little space there is at most parts of the track. The final sequence from about the hairpin on is also hell. Reasonbly tight, awkwardly cambered and very easy to mess up. Also I know I bang on about it quite a bit, but the track limits here are genuinely bizarre. A few corners I genuinely didn't think had track limits because I'd run pretty wide by accident, come back on and the game would have no problem with it - only later when I got it mostly right but went slightly wide did the game go "nah" and invalidate it. Turn 10 in particular seemed bad for this.

altid on
  • Options
    The game is often more forgiving about track limits if it's reasonably sure you've not gained an advantage, which I think is why it seems so lenient at, say, Stowe at Silverstone. Maybe that's what's happening?

Also, yeah, it's super narrow in places. IIRC the stadium section was designed by the designer of Suzuka? Also a very narrow track (although that was intended as a test track rather than a race track).

• Options
    Probably that to be fair, although Stowe is just flat out broken - see some of the 'top' times basically ignoring the limits on that corner.
    Didn't know about the Suzuka link before! Always interesting to learn more bits of F1's past. Hand to look it up, the man behind it was John Hugenholtz:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hugenholtz

Hope they host one at Hockenheim this year. Felt it was a bit of a shame that there was no german track on the original calendar this year. There's too much history with F1 and racing in Germany to drop it off the calendar.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    The 24h of LeMans Virtual are running right now.

https://youtu.be/qGzoLSmAvPY

Max Verstappen, Lando Norris, Charles Leclerc, Antonio Giovinazzi, Juan Pablo Montoya, Fernando Alonso, Stoffel Vandoorne, lots of Sim Racers, including Jimmy Broadbent.

Its absolutely fascinating and not far off from real racing.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    One of the announcers during the Virtual 24H said "Up and down the leader board like the Assyrian empire"...hahaha. That's a deep ass cut.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Down to a 1.13.445 on Hockenheim. It really is a devilishly tricky track. One thing I would note is that the game is relatively liberal on the inside kerb on T1 and you will want to use a lot of it. I'm also mostly stumbling through S3 and hoping not to fall off track still. Sometimes it works!

• Options
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    The 24h of LeMans Virtual are running right now.

https://youtu.be/qGzoLSmAvPY

Max Verstappen, Lando Norris, Charles Leclerc, Antonio Giovinazzi, Juan Pablo Montoya, Fernando Alonso, Stoffel Vandoorne, lots of Sim Racers, including Jimmy Broadbent.

Its absolutely fascinating and not far off from real racing.

I must have watched around 18 total hours between the official stream and Jimmy's. It was a great race.

I think it was Andretti who said that these kinds of events should be required for Gentlemen (and Gentlewomen?) drivers and for rookies, mostly for the traffic navigation required. It would be great to see more of this, to be honest, but I think it will go die a quiet death once normality returns.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Yeah, I watched a few hours in the beginning, as well as the final hour or so. It was fantastic. Too bad the teams of Max Verstappen, Charles Leclerc and Fernando Alonso had so much technical difficulties to basically be thrown out of the race entirely.

I would love to have this be a regular event, but I fear as well that once we go back to normal, it will just go away.
    altid wrote: »
    Down to a 1.13.445 on Hockenheim. It really is a devilishly tricky track. One thing I would note is that the game is relatively liberal on the inside kerb on T1 and you will want to use a lot of it. I'm also mostly stumbling through S3 and hoping not to fall off track still. Sometimes it works!

I actually pulled out F1 2019 yesterday and drove a few laps around Hockenheim. I don't think I finished a single one that the computer could count. When I played the game before, I apparently had managed a 1:17:something in a Mercedes.

I did however finally manage to play the career properly. When I tried that months back, I was constantly spinning out the car in the earliest F2 races the game gave me and thus gave up frustratedly. Mind you, I still haven't upped the difficulty from 20%, so I am running laps around the others right now. I do enjoy it though. Signed a deal with Alfa Romeo and already got a pole and a 2nd place out of it so far. Will have to up the difficulty though.

• Options
    Fair warning, I may need to extend the days for Hockenheim purely to give myself a chance to get some laps in. Real life is being a bit of a bugger at the moment and me-time (and the ability to actually focus on the racing) is scarce.

• Options
    I certainly have no problem with extending deadlines. After all, the more competition the better!

• Options
    Hockenheim Hot Laps extended to the 24th.

• Options
    Fantastic. Got a few laps in today - I think I managed a 1:16:something. Although it was with automatic gearbox and traction control on medium, as well as anti lock brakes on. Don't dare do it without them yet.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Awesome!

Reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5YyYUplS9A

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    If I ever visit Europe, a rainy day at Silverstone is on my wishlist.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Alex Zanardi is in life-threatening condition after a biking accident that resulted in him being hit by a truck

he's in surgery now

• Options
    Holy shit, like that dude hasn't been through enough. And he's such an awesome guy with it. Everything crossed for him :sad:

• Options
    edited June 2020
    24 Hours of Le Mans in iRacing starts in about 45 minutes. I'll post the stream for our team once he starts it up. We're driving in the P2 class, the Honda HPD. Should be fun. I drive relatively early, I think just after 8 AM PST.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    God speed @GnomeTank

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I finally got the medals done for Spa in ACC. Something about the physics model on that particular track in this game just gives me fits. I had to tiptoe around nearly the entire track. Other tracks, I'm able to push the limit pretty well even during getting the medals, but Spa is a whole other beast. Pretty sure I will not be competitive with other folks around for quite some time there!

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    www.twitch.tv/nejtun

The embed didn't seem to be working for me, but I'm checking out some of the action right now on actual twitch.

-edit- Aw the guy how is hosting the stream went to sleep, and so did his VR rig so can't see the actual racing anymore.

chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Ouch, I feel bad for the one guy on the team that is kind of new, he got plowed by somebody doing like 300 km/h and it was just totally not his fault but it has to feel so bad to have to get the car towed for a repair.

chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, that was really rough. This was his first endurance event, with three of us that are super experienced. So every little mistake he felt bad.

That wreck was 100% not on him though. That LMP1 just missed his braking point and was too late to bail out. He tried to bail but it was far, far too late at those speeds. That's the kind of stuff that can happen 12+ hours in to a event as people get tired. It didn't help that due to the way iRacing's skill system works we had, lets say...less than ideal LMP1 drivers in so me of the cars. It's not a particularly hard car to drive, but it's incredibly fast, so everything happens on such compressed time scales. You have to be focused and on it every lap because you are constantly passing cars that are much slower than you.

It didn't end up being a great finish, but other than that LMP1 having a massive brain fart, it was a decent race. I ended up with our teams fastest lap so that's a cool feather in the cap. Also had our fastest night lap I think, only about a second off my day pace, so that's also a nice one.

• Options
    Yeah that crash at first looked intentional, but upon replay was just the LMP1 screwing up and somebody else paying most of the price. Then of course like 5 hours later the engine actually exploded, which was just a kick in the teeth.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I was asleep during the engine exploding lol. It sucked for our overall position, but didn't hurt our class position, and at least everyone who drove at the end got a fresh engine, with full V-Max. Unlike Nejt and I who did like 8 stints between us down on power, which at Le Mans, feels very bad. 5kph off V-Max, plus the sluggish acceleration, cost us about 4s a lap. You can do some driving around it with going deeper in to the braking zone and holding your RPM's higher, but in the end you can't get it back without a new engine.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Today's NASCAR race was in Talladega Alabama, and the only black driver, who drives for Richard Petty, had a noose found in his garage.

https://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/29345568/nascar-says-noose-found-bubba-wallace-garage-talladega

I wish I could say I was surprised.

• Options
    Also Lewis Hamilton had been sharing some of his personal experiences in the sport. So it's definitely not something only found "in the south" in the US.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    There are parts of Europe, some parts F1 races in, that are at best equally racist, at worst much more racist, than the US south. They're racism goes back even longer, since before slavery, and mixes in an especially toxic brew of generational racism and religious hate. The US south certainly does not have a monopoly on shitty white people.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Drovek wrote: »
    Also Lewis Hamilton had been sharing some of his personal experiences in the sport. So it's definitely not something only found "in the south" in the US.

Racism in the US is bad, but it seems from my POV in the US that casual racist stuff in Europe and other places are even worse. The number of otherwise woke/education people from other countries I have had both 1) say low-level racist shit and 2) claim that racism doesn't exist in their country is unreal.

The structural shit in the US is likely worse because we have zero safety net compared to European countries, so there's far less socioeconomic mobility.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

Typical of Sun readers, the comments are disgusting.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    For those on console, ACC is out today. If you buy today or pre-order, you get the ICT DLC for free.

Very very very worth it.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Also, in case the announcement about it was missed yesterday:

https://www.total24hours.com/news/1785/-once-in-a-lifetime-25-hour-edition-for-the-total-24-hours-of-spa

24 Hours of Spa will be 25 hours long this year, and will take place in October.

This discussion has been closed.