As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Le Mans 24 Hours: Please stop crashing into Sophia Flörsch

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    How does Grosjean have a seat, honestly.
    He's like a money sink.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    He's like a money sink.

I think he's one of the drivers that bring their own money to the table, right?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Aridhol wrote: »
    He's like a money sink.

I think he's one of the drivers that bring their own money to the table, right?

I think Haas actually pays Grosjean a tiny amount, as compared to other F1 drivers, but he has a personal sponsor paying the bulk of his salary.

I don't think any of the current group of drivers pay out of their own pocket to drive. Closest you could get is Stroll driving for a team his daddy owns, but his performance during the race usually says "I do deserve to be here". I think Maldonado might be the last egregious case of pay to drive.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Sergio Perez has a lot of money backing as well. He's clearly good enough to get a drive either way, but if he were not he would have the money backing to be a pay driver.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Sergio Perez has a lot of money backing as well. He's clearly good enough to get a drive either way, but if he were not he would have the money backing to be a pay driver.

Yeah, he's backed by one of the wealthiest Mexican, but I believe he still pulls a small salary from Racing Point as well.

The rumors I see online is that Albon is the lowest paid driver this year at sub $200k for the year.

Veevee on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Free weekend?

Who wants to do some multiplayer?

I'm up for it if we can find a time that's not too horrendously late over here.

• Options
    I love how Ricciardo takes everything so literally

"Monaco!"
    Jazz wrote: »
    Free weekend?

I'll be up around 7am Central tomorrow morning, and be off and on the computer for most of the day.

Right now London is 5 hours ahead, but tomorrow morning I think it'll be 6

• Options
    I love how Ricciardo takes everything so literally

"Monaco!"
    Jazz wrote: »
    Free weekend?

I'll be up around 7am Central tomorrow morning, and be off and on the computer for most of the day.

Right now London is 5 hours ahead, but tomorrow morning I think it'll be 6

Yeah, you guys put your clocks back this weekend. We did ours last weekend (and my cats still aren't used to it, as far as they're concerned dinner is just always late now).

Evening time will work best for me, I think, so probably sort of mid-to-late-afternoon for you I guess.

Anyone else want to get in on this?

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I am slightly puzzled by the complete Alfa Romeo merch anywhere around the track. I've found some Kimi stuff, but nothing from the team.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    The bumps and curbs at COTA are stupid and dangerous.

• Options
    Congratulations to Lewis.
    Poor Seb :(

• Options
    COTA itself is stupid. There are so many tracks in America that are much better they could use instead. Imagine an F1 car going down the cork screw at Laguna Seca, or the carousel and kink at Road America.

But noooo, gotta build a new boondoggle of a track instead.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    I quite like COTA though. Decent mix of corners + elevation change, good to look at on TV as well. Passing generally possible. When places like Laguna Seca are brought up, it's often pointed out that there's no way you could actually make it compliant with safety standards without significant changes to the track. As for the COTA bumps, the commentary said they're closing it over the winter for some significant resurfacing.

As for the race:
    Congrats to Lewis for the 6th title! Here's hoping he keeps on form and bangs in another one next year. A solid race from him as well with the weaker strategy and some opportunistic moves to pass the Ferrari's from the off. If he'd got the first qualifying lap in yesterday then I reckon he would have won it, but he didn't so can't really say much about that.

Bottas had a solid, if not spectacular race. Without traffic, the strategy would have made it a cakewalk for him anyway. I just can't get excited about Bottas winning.

Really unlucky for Vettel to lose the rear suspension. The car was performing terribly before that so I wonder if it was related? Was nice to see him come to congratulate Hamilton in the cooldown room. Seriously hope he has a stronger year next year.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Well, another Hamilton title. congratz, I guess, but I just can't get excited about it.

Another completely fucked up race for Ferrari. Sorry to see Vettel go out like this and Leclerc wasn't doing anything either.

Albon continues to impress after his switch to Red Bull. This was another one of those come-through-the-field races for him and he topped it with 5th place. This kid will only get better.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Albon continues to impress after his switch to Red Bull. This was another one of those come-through-the-field races for him and he topped it with 5th place. This kid will only get better.
    Red Bulls and having to come through the field after Lap 1 drama, name a more iconic duo.

In Albon's defense, it's usually not his fault that he gets punted down the order to need to make the comeback, while Verstappen usually clowns himself off the road and has to come back due to his own errors.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    @GnomeTank how was the race?

• Options
    Albon with the drive of the day, I'd say.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    @Dhalphir

Incredible. What an experience. The obvious as a Hamilton fan was seeing him win his sixth title. Lifetime memory stuff. Setting that side though the entire event was incredible. Friday and Saturday it was fun to see the different support series that were there (F4, historic endurance and historic F1 cars) and walk around the track and see the different sights. They had decent (and very expensive) food options around the track. Qualifying was cool to see live but harder to follow than watching it on TV.

The race was definitely the highlight of the weekend though. I can't tell you if it was a "good race" as we would define it from our couches, because from track side it was amazing! I was in turn 12 so I got to see quite a bit of the overtaking which was great. I can't recommend the upper level of turn 12 enough if you ever want to go to COTA. You get a bunch of the overtaking, can clearly see the entire stadium section, and can see turn 1, the beginning and end of the esses and the little run up to the short chute that leads to turn 11. The race felt like it was a 15 minute long experiencing live. It just flew by. There wasn't really any thought of whether the race was boring, or whether there was enough overtaking or if the cars could follow. It was just breathtaking to watch those cars live lap after lap. After seeing it live I truly believe TV does not do the sport justice. I'm not sure if that's something that can be solved with better direction or trying new things on TV, but to me it's really obvious now. The crowd makes a huge difference as well: It was incredibly hype during the race. We were sitting next to a pair of British ladies who we had a great time chatting with all weekend about the latest F1 gossip and the racing. Never even found out their names, wasn't important. We just had an immediate friendly rapport chatting about something we were all passionate about.

If I had complaints it would just be the traffic in Austin and the prices of everything. According to some locals there were some other events going on so it was just crazy. Getting in and out of the track every day was an exercise in patience. We used the downtown shuttle so at least we didn't have to drive and park but it was still trying at times. Especially coming back Saturday in a bus full of people with no AC. That was probably my low point of the weekend. The prices on everything is one of those things you just except at any sort of event in America (and I would guess everywhere else?) but there is always some sticker shock. I spent way more on some Mercedes swag than I should have but I figured it's a memories purchase.

All in all I would recommend it to anyone who is a motorsport fan. Whether it's at COTA or some other race if you can handle it financially I highly recommend seeing a GP live.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    That hypes me for my already-booked Melbourne 2020 trip even more.

• Options
    I try not to live my life looking through the camera of my phone, but I did get a few pictures and videos. I'll see what's worth uploading and post some in the next couple days.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Red Bulls and having to come through the field after Lap 1 drama, name a more iconic duo.

In Albon's defense, it's usually not his fault that he gets punted down the order to need to make the comeback, while Verstappen usually clowns himself off the road and has to come back due to his own errors.

I think next year, if they stay consistent and don't get punted that often, the Red Bulls can challenge Ferrari for second place. I really, really like what Albon is doing in a Red Bull.

• Options
    That "other event" was probably the Day of the Dead celebrations. Although the parade was on the 26th for some reason.

• Options
    And for something completely different. Michael Fassbender apparently is a racing fan. He wants to race in LeMans and partnered up with Porsche. They made a YouTube series out of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpqEReJ69II&list=PLKduzfEGbn-GvYvsyTO-EO27c4FBi3UAs

Its actually pretty interesting.

• Options
    The first episode...
    When he plows in to that other car under safety car. That is straight out of iRacing. I laughed so hard. I felt bad for him, we all make mistakes and he clearly felt terrible, but that whole thing just reminded me of stuff that happens in iRacing at times.

• Options
    There's a push going on in Britain right now to knight Hamilton. Wonder if it will happen. Sir Lewis Hamilton has a ring to it.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    “Get in there, Lewis! Er, uh, I mean Sir Lewis...”

• Options
    Sportsman who have done less have been knighted. That said, there is always a private discourse with any potential recipient where they can decline privately without facing public scrutiny. It's possible Lewis has been offered, and privately declined, a knighthood and we would never hear about it.

• Options
    There was some grumbling when the idea came up before that he should never get one, because of an alleged tax evasion thing involving his private jet. That may rear its head again.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    He's probably a shoe in for SPOTY though not that it's particularly worth anything

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Albon confirmed for Red Bull 2020, with Kyvat and Gasley staying at TR. No real surprises there.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Albon confirmed for Red Bull 2020, with Kyvat and Gasley staying at TR. No real surprises there.

Still, good to hear before the end of the season so it's not even a question

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    And I am really looking forward to Albon in 2020. He got some fantastic results these past few races and I want to see what he can do over the course of a season. This might actually help Red Bull challenge Ferrari for the #2 spot.

• Options
    Race
    Another race where I don’t really know what they were doing with Hamilton’s strategy. When Verstappen dropped into second after the SC pit stop, it was a forgone conclusion.

• Options
    And just like that, the ferraris go bang.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Liked how Vettel slipped into German over the radio.

But it was an utterly boneheaded move

Edit: oh for fucks sake, Lewis. That was unnecessary.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    *reads Guardian race liveblog*
    What the ever-living fuck. (addressed to Ferrari, and separately, Hamilton.)

• Options
    Hamilton gets five-second penalty, demoting him to seventh. Which gives Sainz third place!

• Options
    Completely deserved penalty for Lewis. He knew it too, took full responsibility right after the race.

Ferrari doing Ferrari things. Proving yet again why they aren't a serious challenger to Mercedes despite having a car worthy of the challenge.

Gasly gets his first podium...but not in the Red Bull. Who would have even thought?

• Options
    Peak Ferrari :)

Lewis deserved penalty for sure.

What ended up being wrong with bottas car?

Stoked for Sainz and Gasly

This discussion has been closed.