[Formula One & motorsport] Round 2, Austria (again): Déjà vu

13738404243

Posts

  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    edited June 28
    Third race in the PC2 demo I clawed my way up from the terrible starting position (I think like second to last or fourth to last) to third within the three lap duration. I even had the fastest lap. I didn't fiddle with any settings, just kind of adjusted my use of the controls a little and things worked better. This is with all the default settings like driving line with braking indicator and automatic shifting, on the easiest race the demo offers, but it was fun and I know I can improve with practice. I'll probably pick up PC2 and F1 2019 to take advantage of the $5 discount on a $30 purchase, and then put up some truly slow laps in the F1 hot lap competition to make everybody feel better.

    -edit- So I was talking to a friend about how I was probably going to grab Project CARS 2, and he said he had a key for it he wasn't going to use from some Humble Bundle or something, so hey free racing sim!

    chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
    DrovekVishNubJazzGnomeTankspool32
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    1 week until F1 returns to live racing. Nervous and apprehensive but I’ll definitely be watching.

    PwH4Ipj.jpg
    VishNubDrovekGnomeTankTeeMan
  • JazzJazz Fuck cancer. Un-UKRegistered User regular
    I want to say I will be but frankly that depends on how things are at home here. It's not going well at all right now, is the short version. :sad:

    I'm still wanting to try to get a Hungary lap in at some point but finding time for a break is really hard right now.

  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    At least we start at a track where Mercedes might have some competition from Red Bull. Given what we saw in pre-season testing, combined with the general professionalism and preparedness of Mercedes, I have a hard time believing they aren't going to be far ahead in general coming out of this.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Did some putzing around in PC2, did some practice laps at Road America and Imola with the Ferrari 488 I think it was. I am not good at staying on the track! So I figured perhaps going through the career mode and starting out simpler would do me some good. I am also not good at racing karts it would seem, but these tiny little things are a ton of fun to drive so I don't care that much that I'm awful.

    In the demo they had the driving line on the track which helped a ton, but it doesn't seem to be on by default in the actual game. Maybe I should turn that on for a bit? On the other hand, I don't want to grow to rely on it. I feel like just by trying to drive without any guidance I am slowly figuring out what works and what doesn't, and as long as I feel as if I am improving I'm fine with it. I will say that using a controller it often feels like my inputs are all or nothing, even though it does do proportional stuff. I'm not sure if I should just adjust to it, or try and tweak some settings.

    I really would prefer to use a wheel and pedals, but it looks like prices have gone up because of increased demand due to the whole lockdown stuff. Oh well.

    steam_sig.png
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited June 29
    Hope everything works out ok @Jazz and that the situation improves as much as it can.

    In F1 news, Merc changed their livery:


    Bonus for the codemasters tweet below it...

    altid on
    JazzGnomeTank
  • Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited June 29
    With the livery we are one step closer to wipeout 2048.

    Mc zany on
  • JazzJazz Fuck cancer. Un-UKRegistered User regular
    Cheers @altid . Unfortunately it's very unlikely.

    Copy/pasted from G&T Steam thread a couple of days ago:
    My mum, who some of you may recall was diagnosed with cancer at the start of the year, has taken a huge downturn in her health. She's still at home, with me as the primary carer, but with hospice carers in multiple times a day; and as of last night, an overnight carer a couple of times a week too so I can at least try to get some sleep. (We're at the point where it's serious enough that the pandemic is just a risk we have to take.) Despite being on morphine, now switched to oxycodone, she's still in a lot of pain, but the doctors and nurses don't actually know if it's the cancer or something else; we're awaiting an appointment for a scan to try and find out.

    But the short version is, as painful as it is to type, she's most likely dying. And I'm watching it happen in real time; and despite immensely powerful medication, and a team of truly amazing medical professionals who I can't praise enough, can't even keep her out of pain.

    Update since:
    Her pain is being managed a bit better now, I think. Still not ideal, but better. I doubt the scan will go ahead, it seems almost academic at this point. It's just a case of keeping her as comfortable as possible... and a case of when now.

    Like I've said, I'll be around. This forum is my internet home, and often a solace. Which is why you guys deserve to know what's going on. Obviously my focus is at home at the moment, but I won't be far away.

    Although, @oldmanken , if you want to take the spreadsheet back over for now, feel free. (I'm still gonna try and get a lap of Hungary in if I can find the time. Everyone keeps telling me to look after myself too, so I'm filing that under self-care.)

  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Jazz I'm so sorry you are going through this on top of the stress of the pandemic.

    steam_sig.png
    DrovekaltidVishNubdavidsdurionsJazzTeeManGnomeTankspool32chrishallett83honovere
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited June 29
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Did some putzing around in PC2, did some practice laps at Road America and Imola with the Ferrari 488 I think it was. I am not good at staying on the track! So I figured perhaps going through the career mode and starting out simpler would do me some good. I am also not good at racing karts it would seem, but these tiny little things are a ton of fun to drive so I don't care that much that I'm awful.

    In the demo they had the driving line on the track which helped a ton, but it doesn't seem to be on by default in the actual game. Maybe I should turn that on for a bit? On the other hand, I don't want to grow to rely on it. I feel like just by trying to drive without any guidance I am slowly figuring out what works and what doesn't, and as long as I feel as if I am improving I'm fine with it. I will say that using a controller it often feels like my inputs are all or nothing, even though it does do proportional stuff. I'm not sure if I should just adjust to it, or try and tweak some settings.

    I really would prefer to use a wheel and pedals, but it looks like prices have gone up because of increased demand due to the whole lockdown stuff. Oh well.

    Google up game pad settings for PC2 to copy and see if that helps. It was a massive improvement for me. But I don’t think you’re ever going to get the fine control you could with a wheel. Long, fast corners where you’d want full lock and like 80% throttle are tricky, for example.

    And there is a settting to turn the line/speed suggestions back on.

    VishNub on
  • JazzJazz Fuck cancer. Un-UKRegistered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Jazz I'm so sorry you are going through this on top of the stress of the pandemic.

    Thanks, engy, and all you guys. Yeah, it's fucking awful. No point sugar-coating it.

  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Did some putzing around in PC2, did some practice laps at Road America and Imola with the Ferrari 488 I think it was. I am not good at staying on the track! So I figured perhaps going through the career mode and starting out simpler would do me some good. I am also not good at racing karts it would seem, but these tiny little things are a ton of fun to drive so I don't care that much that I'm awful.

    In the demo they had the driving line on the track which helped a ton, but it doesn't seem to be on by default in the actual game. Maybe I should turn that on for a bit? On the other hand, I don't want to grow to rely on it. I feel like just by trying to drive without any guidance I am slowly figuring out what works and what doesn't, and as long as I feel as if I am improving I'm fine with it. I will say that using a controller it often feels like my inputs are all or nothing, even though it does do proportional stuff. I'm not sure if I should just adjust to it, or try and tweak some settings.

    I really would prefer to use a wheel and pedals, but it looks like prices have gone up because of increased demand due to the whole lockdown stuff. Oh well.

    Google up game pad settings for PC2 to copy and see if that helps. It was a massive improvement for me. But I don’t think you’re ever going to get the fine control you could with a wheel. Long, fast corners where you’d want full lock and like 80% throttle are tricky, for example.

    And there is a settting to turn the line/speed suggestions back on.

    That's a good suggestion about game pad settings, I am using a recommended Steam controller profile but that doesn't change the in-game settings as far as I know. I'll likely just have to adjust to not having the fine control of a wheel + pedals setup, especially for the throttle and brakes which that is something I would have expected to be a bit more reasonable.

    I figured I could turn the driving line back on, but in a way I kind of don't want to. I would probably grow to rely on it if it were available, instead of learning the track and car combination organically. It means slower lap times right now, but hopefully it forces me to pay more attention to what the car itself is doing on the track and adjusting to that instead of watching the magic line.

    I know I've got a long way to go, I'm not even handling my own gear selection right now which is kind of bothering me, since I learned to drive on a manual transmission car and have driven manual transmission for the last 18 years. At least with the Steam controller I have the back buttons to use as paddle shifters when the time comes.

    steam_sig.png
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    We'll go ahead and extend Hungary out for another week.

    Jazz
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Jazz I'm so sorry you are going through this on top of the stress of the pandemic.

    Thanks, engy, and all you guys. Yeah, it's fucking awful. No point sugar-coating it.

    Obviously this rings somewhat hollow, but if there's anything we can do for you over the internet, even just to keep you entertained for a couple of hours, let us know.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Jazz
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i guess there's a race this weekend... i don't know if I will watch honestly... something about this half season now feels fake and not in the spirit of what a championship season should be... an exhibition, in essence

    when is the last time, if ever, F1 had a season that was truncated by external forces?

  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    Probably never, but as long as they get 15+ races in, I'm not sure how it's anything but a real championship? In fact the races being more tightly packed together likely makes this season a more difficult challenge, not a less valid one.

    I know whoever wins the WDC this year is going to hear about how it's an asterisk championship, but I think that will be grossly unfair.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Jazzdavidsdurions
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i guess there's a race this weekend... i don't know if I will watch honestly... something about this half season now feels fake and not in the spirit of what a championship season should be... an exhibition, in essence

    when is the last time, if ever, F1 had a season that was truncated by external forces?

    You can also consider that Championships weren't usually this long, so "truncated" is not entirely what it is.

    And honestly, I'll watch only to see if there's any chance of an upset from anyone else. If it's more of the same, I'll probably skip a few races here and there like last year.

    steam_sig.png
  • JazzJazz Fuck cancer. Un-UKRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Jazz I'm so sorry you are going through this on top of the stress of the pandemic.

    Thanks, engy, and all you guys. Yeah, it's fucking awful. No point sugar-coating it.

    Obviously this rings somewhat hollow, but if there's anything we can do for you over the internet, even just to keep you entertained for a couple of hours, let us know.

    Doesn't ring hollow at all. I know it's from the heart. Thanks :heartbeat:

  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Yeah, sorry this is such a hard time for you jazz. I lost my mom to cancer 15 years ago, so I have an idea of what you are going through. If you need anything, my DMs are open.

    Jazz
  • Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    VishNub wrote: »
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Did some putzing around in PC2, did some practice laps at Road America and Imola with the Ferrari 488 I think it was. I am not good at staying on the track! So I figured perhaps going through the career mode and starting out simpler would do me some good. I am also not good at racing karts it would seem, but these tiny little things are a ton of fun to drive so I don't care that much that I'm awful.

    In the demo they had the driving line on the track which helped a ton, but it doesn't seem to be on by default in the actual game. Maybe I should turn that on for a bit? On the other hand, I don't want to grow to rely on it. I feel like just by trying to drive without any guidance I am slowly figuring out what works and what doesn't, and as long as I feel as if I am improving I'm fine with it. I will say that using a controller it often feels like my inputs are all or nothing, even though it does do proportional stuff. I'm not sure if I should just adjust to it, or try and tweak some settings.

    I really would prefer to use a wheel and pedals, but it looks like prices have gone up because of increased demand due to the whole lockdown stuff. Oh well.

    Google up game pad settings for PC2 to copy and see if that helps. It was a massive improvement for me. But I don’t think you’re ever going to get the fine control you could with a wheel. Long, fast corners where you’d want full lock and like 80% throttle are tricky, for example.

    And there is a settting to turn the line/speed suggestions back on.

    That's a good suggestion about game pad settings, I am using a recommended Steam controller profile but that doesn't change the in-game settings as far as I know. I'll likely just have to adjust to not having the fine control of a wheel + pedals setup, especially for the throttle and brakes which that is something I would have expected to be a bit more reasonable.

    I figured I could turn the driving line back on, but in a way I kind of don't want to. I would probably grow to rely on it if it were available, instead of learning the track and car combination organically. It means slower lap times right now, but hopefully it forces me to pay more attention to what the car itself is doing on the track and adjusting to that instead of watching the magic line.

    I know I've got a long way to go, I'm not even handling my own gear selection right now which is kind of bothering me, since I learned to drive on a manual transmission car and have driven manual transmission for the last 18 years. At least with the Steam controller I have the back buttons to use as paddle shifters when the time comes.

    Learning the track all at once is tough. I sometimes use the racing line for a few laps in practice just to get the feel of a totally new track, then turn it off from there.

    Don't worry if karts feel weird to you, they drive really differently from road cars (and a lot of race cars). I had fun doing the career from karts in PC1 (had a wheel back then) and did some with controller lately, but it really takes a different approach.

    I've been doing formula rookie since I got PC2 a few weeks ago and these controller settings have been working for me (XB1 controller). I still miss my wheel (I'd replace it if prices weren't so spiked by covid), but the controller works.
    y1u5hbvf7s8q.jpg

    chrisnl
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    edited July 1
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    chrisnl wrote: »
    VishNub wrote: »
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Did some putzing around in PC2, did some practice laps at Road America and Imola with the Ferrari 488 I think it was. I am not good at staying on the track! So I figured perhaps going through the career mode and starting out simpler would do me some good. I am also not good at racing karts it would seem, but these tiny little things are a ton of fun to drive so I don't care that much that I'm awful.

    In the demo they had the driving line on the track which helped a ton, but it doesn't seem to be on by default in the actual game. Maybe I should turn that on for a bit? On the other hand, I don't want to grow to rely on it. I feel like just by trying to drive without any guidance I am slowly figuring out what works and what doesn't, and as long as I feel as if I am improving I'm fine with it. I will say that using a controller it often feels like my inputs are all or nothing, even though it does do proportional stuff. I'm not sure if I should just adjust to it, or try and tweak some settings.

    I really would prefer to use a wheel and pedals, but it looks like prices have gone up because of increased demand due to the whole lockdown stuff. Oh well.

    Google up game pad settings for PC2 to copy and see if that helps. It was a massive improvement for me. But I don’t think you’re ever going to get the fine control you could with a wheel. Long, fast corners where you’d want full lock and like 80% throttle are tricky, for example.

    And there is a settting to turn the line/speed suggestions back on.

    That's a good suggestion about game pad settings, I am using a recommended Steam controller profile but that doesn't change the in-game settings as far as I know. I'll likely just have to adjust to not having the fine control of a wheel + pedals setup, especially for the throttle and brakes which that is something I would have expected to be a bit more reasonable.

    I figured I could turn the driving line back on, but in a way I kind of don't want to. I would probably grow to rely on it if it were available, instead of learning the track and car combination organically. It means slower lap times right now, but hopefully it forces me to pay more attention to what the car itself is doing on the track and adjusting to that instead of watching the magic line.

    I know I've got a long way to go, I'm not even handling my own gear selection right now which is kind of bothering me, since I learned to drive on a manual transmission car and have driven manual transmission for the last 18 years. At least with the Steam controller I have the back buttons to use as paddle shifters when the time comes.

    Learning the track all at once is tough. I sometimes use the racing line for a few laps in practice just to get the feel of a totally new track, then turn it off from there.

    Don't worry if karts feel weird to you, they drive really differently from road cars (and a lot of race cars). I had fun doing the career from karts in PC1 (had a wheel back then) and did some with controller lately, but it really takes a different approach.

    I've been doing formula rookie since I got PC2 a few weeks ago and these controller settings have been working for me (XB1 controller). I still miss my wheel (I'd replace it if prices weren't so spiked by covid), but the controller works.
    y1u5hbvf7s8q.jpg

    I have tried out those controller settings (Steam controller emulating an xbox controller, but with the benefit of shifting being on the back buttons, not that I am actually shifting manually yet), and they feel better than the default settings for sure. Took the Ferrari 488 GT3 out to Imola and Laguna Seca and was able to actually set some laps that were not invalidated, both about 23 seconds off the listed record for the car and track combination. So I'm definitely still terrible, but I am better able to stay on the track and get lap times that count so that's a vast improvement. I also did way way better at Laguna Seca than I expected, I remember that track always kicking my ass in Gran Turismo (2? I think?) back in the day.

    So thanks for those settings, definitely better than what I was using. I think the biggest thing I didn't like about the default settings was the huge deadzone, reducing that definitely feels a lot better. I'll probably get back to racing karts at some point, but today I just felt like trying out a couple famous tracks in a famous car.

    -edit- Also I know I shouldn't have had to have this pointed out to me, since I even explicitly said I wanted to start on some less serious vehicles than like an F1 car or an LMP, but the Ferrari 488 GT3 that I've been doing some laps with is almost certainly too much car for me as I start out. I just couldn't resist, you know? I love the Ferrari brand, and the 488 is a beautiful machine but it's honestly just too much. I should probably start with some like an MX-5 or similar.

    But man that Ferrari is pretty.

    chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
    Red Raevyn
  • StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    Does anyone have issue with ACC freezing every few seconds, especially noticable when going into a corner?

  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited July 1
    Stationary wrote: »
    Does anyone have issue with ACC freezing every few seconds, especially noticeable when going into a corner?

    No, not at all. I've been driving ACC pretty religiously lately and haven't experience this at all. Console or PC?

    re: Learning tracks. The speed at which you learn tracks gets much faster the more experience you have. I generally only need a few laps at a track now to be up to 107% speed. Some tracks, like Kayami, can be a bit more difficult/tricky, and there are extreme outliers like the Nordschleife, but most tracks you learn quickly as you've seen most types of corners that are on offer.

    re: re: Too much car. If you're going to go "too much car" GT3 cars are the too much to go for. They have TC and ABS, and while they are certainly still grade A thoroughbred race cars, they are built around having both pros and gentleperson drivers at the wheel. Plus the 488 is just a mighty car.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I've found (in PC2, anyways) the LMP series cars to be the easiest to handle. The formula rookie, X, 3, renault, indy style cars are a lot twitchier and prone to snapping around.

    Going back to road cars always feels terrible. They're unstable, the braking distance is forever, if you make a mistake you pay for it in spades, etc...

    The GT series are about halfway in between.

  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited July 1
    The problem with an LMP car, while being easy to handle with TC and stability control, is that things happen at a pace in those cars that a newer driver simply won't have the instincts to react quickly enough to manage. That's why faster cars tend to have an inherent difficulty in driving them, no matter how many driver aids you throw at them. You are still pushing mega fast cars to a limit, and when they break over that limit, you're carrying speeds that make things happen very quickly. You may never notice if you're just hot lapping and resetting every time you have a wobble, but it becomes particularly acute when racing on the track with other cars, AI or otherwise.

    A GT3 car isn't going to feel as planted, but it's also going to be a lot easier to catch if something goes wrong, and much easier to race around other cars. The results of a bobble become much less catastrophic the farther below 320kph you are. Cars like the LMP1 and 2 can carry 150kph+ speeds through "slow" corners and then snatch on a bunch of acceleration to quickly get to 300+kph. Everything happens on such a compressed timescale.

    I guess it depends on what you're coming at your racing games for. Just to drive, or actually race. Neither is more or less valid but I think it's going to color approaches around this kind of stuff.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    VishNub
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited July 1
    For sure. I drive most of the cars with light TC on, because other wise the ... it's not torque steer but its like that ... of high acceleration at low speeds just causes spins constantly when you get even slightly aggressive with the throttle. Lower power cars you can get away without TC.

    But I was mostly just referring to general frustration level. How often the car does something I don't expect and can’t salvage.

    VishNub on
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Stationary wrote: »
    Does anyone have issue with ACC freezing every few seconds, especially noticeable when going into a corner?

    No, not at all. I've been driving ACC pretty religiously lately and haven't experience this at all. Console or PC?

    re: Learning tracks. The speed at which you learn tracks gets much faster the more experience you have. I generally only need a few laps at a track now to be up to 107% speed. Some tracks, like Kayami, can be a bit more difficult/tricky, and there are extreme outliers like the Nordschleife, but most tracks you learn quickly as you've seen most types of corners that are on offer.

    re: re: Too much car. If you're going to go "too much car" GT3 cars are the too much to go for. They have TC and ABS, and while they are certainly still grade A thoroughbred race cars, they are built around having both pros and gentleperson drivers at the wheel. Plus the 488 is just a mighty car.

    Oh I've been loving the 488 even though I am not doing terribly well with it. The change to the controller setup has absolutely helped, as has just more time behind the virtual wheel. When I first fired up the 488 I was just completely unable to get a lap that wasn't invalidated by the race controller. After a few hours of practice I have definitely done better. I don't mind being terrible because I'm still having fun even without being anywhere near what would be considered a fast lap. And like I said, I was honestly surprised at my ability to stay on the track at Laguna Seca after like my second lap, but that's probably because it was one of my favorite tracks in Gran Turismo ages ago and I took the corkscrew very, very conservatively.

    Next time I fire it up I will be trying a much slower car. The 488 GT3 is kind of manageable but I'll be toning it down to see how much it makes a difference. And of course it is way way different when other cars are on the track with you.

    steam_sig.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    It's just practice, so grain of salt and all that...

    But man oh man Mercedes looks capital R ridiculous. And Hamilton looks a good 2-4 tenths faster than Bottas, pretty much at will. I suspect we might see something really special from Hamilton this year. The weird season, going for his seventh, all the BLM stuff...he may just go out and put on a show this year.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    altidVishNubdavidsdurions
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    Great to have F1 back! Merc does look strong (and that livery is amazing) but it's still only practice. Tracing Point (aka 2019 Merc) also look very good and Ferrari look somewhat adrift.

    Speaking of Ferrari, it's fun to hear what Vettel is saying now that he doesn't have to care - namely that he was more or less sacked. There was no sticking point, he simply wasn't offered anything - somewhat contradicting the "mutual agreement" narrative. In return Binotto confirmed it, with the reason of "something something coronavirus". Also confirmed that they told Vettel he was still their first choice at Barcelona testing. Ferrari going to Ferrari I guess. Treating drivers like crap is basically their MO.
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.binotto-says-covid-lockdown-made-ferrari-reconsider-position-on-vettel.2wyy3ezTzE1OhXEyVOfVRZ.html

  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited July 4
    RedBull has officially protested that camber adjustment steering column wobbly bit of Mercedes.

    Edit: Already rejected. I don’t really care either way but I do find it suspect that they say it’s fine to adjust the suspension this way since it’s attached to the steering mechanism.

    davidsdurions on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    In another corner of the racing world, Jimmie Johnson is the first NASCAR driver to test positive for coronavirus.

    He is currently asymptomatic, his wife with allergy-like symptoms that prompted them getting tested. He'll be allowed to race again when he has no symptoms and shows negative on two consecutive tests.

    Bummer for his final racing year; he hasn't won this season but was ok in points so far; getting to the finals on points is likely a no go, depending on how long he is out.

    PSN/Steam - Elderlycrawfish
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited July 4
    RedBull has officially protested that camber adjustment steering column wobbly bit of Mercedes.

    Edit: Already rejected. I don’t really care either way but I do find it suspect that they say it’s fine to adjust the suspension this way since it’s attached to the steering mechanism.

    They're not adjusting camber. If they were, it'd be illegal. They're adjusting toe, and toe is part of steering, since toe involves turning the wheels, not cambering them. It's an interpretation, for sure, but not an incorrect one.

    Dhalphir on
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    RedBull has officially protested that camber adjustment steering column wobbly bit of Mercedes.

    Edit: Already rejected. I don’t really care either way but I do find it suspect that they say it’s fine to adjust the suspension this way since it’s attached to the steering mechanism.

    They're not adjusting camber. If they were, it'd be illegal. They're adjusting toe, and toe is part of steering, since toe involves turning the wheels, not cambering them. It's an interpretation, for sure, but not an incorrect one.

    Ah yeah, you’re right. Still sketchy in my opinion. Unless all the teams can get it developed too I suppose.

    It’s already been ruled out for 2022 in the regulations I think. Supposed to have been 2021, but everything got pushed back a year.

    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    the merc looks so fucking good

    davidsdurionsGnomeTankTeeMan
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    Speculation is that Red Bull have their own DAS more or less ready to go anyway, so the protest was more to clear it ahead of time than to actually get it removed. Wouldn't be surprised if they had it ready for next week.

  • JazzJazz Fuck cancer. Un-UKRegistered User regular
    OT: Further mum update:
    She passed away yesterday morning. Peacefully, in her sleep. She was still breathing at 6:30am so I left her to sleep. At 7:40am she wasn't breathing any more.

  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I am so sorry for your loss, Jazz. Nothing else to say, really.

    oldmankenDrovekKrieghundVishNubaltiddavidsdurionsElderlycrawfishCormacjimb213chrisnlTeeManchrishallett83Dizzy D
  • JazzJazz Fuck cancer. Un-UKRegistered User regular
    :heartbeat:

  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    My condolences Jazz.

  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    edited July 5
    So it'll probably screw me up switching between PC2 and F1 2019, but screw it. I had a bit of time to burn and decided to do some laps at Hungary in the 2019 Ferrari. Controller setup with the listed options on the spreadsheet, except I had the driving line completely off because I'm silly that way. I can clearly do better with more practice, but after about 10 laps (and needing to do something else in the very near future) I was able to clock a 1:26.277. I just used the default balanced setup because I have absolutely no idea what I would change on the car at the moment, but driving in this game in this car is very different from my forays into PC2 so far. It was quite fun, though I may turn off the "best lap" ghost because it can be pretty distracting to see how badly I did on that lap while trying to work my way into a better lap.

    Do I need to submit like a screenshot or something? Or just enter my time into the spreadsheet on my own? I'm mostly just doing this so I can see how bad I am compared to other people, and so far the result is a not surprising "very bad." Cheers!

    -edit- OK I lied I had time for a few more laps, got it down to 1:24.347.

    chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
Sign In or Register to comment.