As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Lego] Thread

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    (like I didn't realize that the starboard flag was facing backwards due to the flag rule).
    What is the flag rule?

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    (like I didn't realize that the starboard flag was facing backwards due to the flag rule).
    What is the flag rule?

The stars corner of the american flag always points "forward"

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    What is the flag rule?

The stars corner of the american flag always points "forward"

It's a quick way to tell if someone's just dressing up as a warrior for the weekend or actually knows their stuff. I mean, to a degree. Like writing off an obvious phishing email level of "telling."

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    There were a couple of parts in the build instructions for Discovery where I was so confused. They basically show the wrong side of the build where the pieces are going so you're left to kind of guess (or interpret where they need to go). It was a part up towards the front of the shuttle - they do it for both the right and left sides.

They did? I didn't notice that (probably was tired at that point) and fumbled with the build.

Just to be clear, it wasn't a printing error or anything. It was just the view of the model they had in the instructions was counter-intuitive to showing what needed to be done. I'll see if I can dig up a pic of what I mean.

I actually see it fairly often in a lot of sets.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    There were a couple of parts in the build instructions for Discovery where I was so confused. They basically show the wrong side of the build where the pieces are going so you're left to kind of guess (or interpret where they need to go). It was a part up towards the front of the shuttle - they do it for both the right and left sides.

They did? I didn't notice that (probably was tired at that point) and fumbled with the build.

Just to be clear, it wasn't a printing error or anything. It was just the view of the model they had in the instructions was counter-intuitive to showing what needed to be done. I'll see if I can dig up a pic of what I mean.

Ah ok, yeah I had a few moments of "wait what" then realizing they flipped the build over and spun it around, or similar things like that.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Ah ok, yeah I had a few moments of "wait what" then realizing they flipped the build over and spun it around, or similar things like that.

This is one aspect that I really like about the Lego Super Mario builds. Because they are all app driven, it'll actually do the flip on screen (in addition to showing the icon), and then you can zoom/rotate/look around for what exactly was changed.

If I knew I could have that kind of functionality for all of Lego's building kits, I'd 100% ditch the manuals.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Lego Factory Manager would be a very interesting videogame, is what I'm reading.

Not managing supply and part stock almost killed the company. It's something they take deadly serious now.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Got to bag eight of the Tantive IV and one, great brown colored Jimmy Smits figure for Bel Organa and two, a speciality piece in a little folded cardboard box! How exciting!

EDIT:. IT WAS HIS LITTLE CAPE! SQUEEEE

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Those little capes are the best

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    While we're complaining about instructions, I really wish the colors in the instructions were closer to the colors of the actual pieces. In many cases the colors shown in the instructions are so different from the colors of the pieces that the only way that I can tell which pieces to use is by comparing the relative differences to other pieces that I can recognize. I am colorblind, admittedly, so maybe people who aren't can see things better. The color intensities that I can recognize are just so wrong, though.

• Options
    No, it is pretty bad at times, especially based on the lighting. They have already said they will not be printing any more manuals on a black background as an accessibility thing. I find that anything with a tan color is super hard to differentiate, and some set I built recently had a light green and a dark green in the same bags... Which is just evil.

Then there is that fun of actually noticing shiny bits, which just have a white lens flare on the inventory list.

I know it comes from wanting language agnostic instructions, but I do wonder if there would be much cost in putting the part number next to the inventory, so you can cross reference to the back. And from there use more recognizable parts to see if you got it right.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »
    While we're complaining about instructions, I really wish the colors in the instructions were closer to the colors of the actual pieces. In many cases the colors shown in the instructions are so different from the colors of the pieces that the only way that I can tell which pieces to use is by comparing the relative differences to other pieces that I can recognize. I am colorblind, admittedly, so maybe people who aren't can see things better. The color intensities that I can recognize are just so wrong, though.

Fellow colorblind person here and you are right on the money. The gray versus black versus slightly shiny gray are among the worst.

Oh, the red looks like brown though my wife thought it was maroon.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »

Fellow colorblind person here and you are right on the money. The gray versus black versus slightly shiny gray are among the worst.

Oh, the red looks like brown though my wife thought it was maroon.

i'm not even colorblind and i have these problems with a few of them!

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I absolutely have my wife or son help when it comes to black and the assorted greys. I'm in the red, green, or brown boat too.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Raiju wrote: »
    New Creator 3-in-1 Castle image just got leaked. Looks great for what you get for the rumored $100. I easily would've paid $200 though if it was a fully enclosed fort though with all its walls, added features (catapult, ballistae, etc.), and more minifigs.
    5ew70e5y19xi.jpeg

Yes! Yes please indeed! And a 3-1 too. Considerably more interesting than road tiles!

any idea when this is going to be available?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    There are some Vidiyo stage sets dropping in August that look really neat just as sets

• Options
    ... I admit I don't get vidiyo, but I also recognize I am not its target.

• Options
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    There are some Vidiyo stage sets dropping in August that look really neat just as sets

Yeah... I wasn't all in on them at first, then looked at the new sets and then the minifigures... I shouldn't have done that. SHARKHEAD!!! Yeah, I may have to buy some of these just for the minifigures like others seem to be doing. Plus the transforming boom box is hilarious.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I make-a the ship!
    https://youtu.be/3_IHesjoaJ8

• Options

I'm disappointed, you do not look like your avatar at all. :P

I always kept on debating on that set the first time, and even now still debating on it.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    The compass bit I found pretty nifty, and the bottle in general was a cool design

• Options
    Yeah, thanks for making the video of it. Is this the one that was on Woot the other week? (still kicking myself for missing that price)

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Yep. I'm sure it'll come back eventually at that price, too, just keep your eyes peeled. Or if you don't care about buying after market, I see a few on Mercari for that price (and I've had good experiences with Mercari customer support should anything go missing)

• Options
    One of the few lego sets I've kept the box for.

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    Redid the doors and front hood section of the Ghostbusters Ecto-1. Mostly reworked the doors for stability (particularly the undercarriage) and to make the doors slightly slimmer.

I never quite liked the stock instructions for the hood with the odd sloped pieces. I think using flatter tiles captures the look of the real car better and raising the hood by one stud (to make the whole thing level) gave me more room to fit a completely brickbuilt engine block. Redid the bumper section too. The front fascia doesn't look so squat and squished in anymore either so I'm happy!

Next step on my build agenda is to put together the Ghostbusters Firehouse!

npxxegsp29wj.jpg
    02qlzmnw00rn.jpg
    qv7azxtfuqbu.jpg
    u12z6ba3lqjb.jpg
    9relv3f6qgb2.jpg
    1mmewo2dmqas.jpg
    fey9lywxp7n4.jpg
    gt3vbdqwhl4v.jpg
    c0iaoqyhe6dy.jpg
    dvcp8k8e4zvs.jpg
    n8wgjseonsup.jpg
    0oij0k7yus42.jpg

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I just watched a Q&A with the designer of this set last night:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPYVTaD18J4
    and one of the questions someone asked was why did he choose specifically 284 of the clear blue 1x1 round plates to represent the water. He said that actually, he originally had 300 of them - a nice round number - but the packaging team came to him and said that if he could lower the number to 284 (specifically), it would be much better for the packaging machines.

I thought that was a very interesting look into the inner workings of the optimization equations that Lego is constantly refining, something we'd talked about recently when discussing some of their part selections for sets.

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    and one of the questions someone asked was why did he choose specifically 284 of the clear blue 1x1 round plates to represent the water. He said that actually, he originally had 300 of them - a nice round number - but the packaging team came to him and said that if he could lower the number to 284 (specifically), it would be much better for the packaging machines.

I thought that was a very interesting look into the inner workings of the optimization equations that Lego is constantly refining, something we'd talked about recently when discussing some of their part selections for sets.

I follow Tiago's channel and love his insights as a former Lego designer and his interview with a fellow (current) designer is great too. I've built a few of Tiago's little customs from his channel (like the go cart, mechanics tool box, and a few other odds and ends) and they're fun small builds.

The Ship in a Bottle is a set I'd love to have but it continues to elude me. I remember when the first run went for $56 on Amazon during the holidays a few years back and I should've snapped it up then but didn't so I missed it initially, to my regret.

Yeah, Lego did reissue it for a second release but the full price goes for $70 these days and I keep hoping it'll go back down to $56. Maybe this year's Cyber Monday.

Raiju on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I really like my ship in a bottle set but is definitely the flimsiest lego set I own. And I own a lot.

• Options
    I'm actually surprised they didn't make the like bonsai and use some rubber bits to keep the ship stable in the cradle/stand.

• Options
    I'm actually surprised they didn't make the like bonsai and use some rubber bits to keep the ship stable in the cradle/stand.

Probably something they hadn't considered at the time? Like the most logical piece to use would have been the little rubber grippy things they developed for treads. But those pieces seem fairly rare.

• Options
    Welp, just locked in the flower bouquet for my 3rd set as of late. Like I needed another plastic collecting hobby!

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Welp, just locked in the flower bouquet for my 3rd set as of late. Like I needed another plastic collecting hobby!

That is an excellent set. Me and my wife spent a weekend morning putting it together, and it really works well as a centerpiece (and given her flower allergies, a much more friendly one.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular

That is an excellent set. Me and my wife spent a weekend morning putting it together, and it really works well as a centerpiece (and given her flower allergies, a much more friendly one.)

I’m hoping to build mine this weekend. And then I’ll need to find a vase for it, as we don’t tend to have flowers in the house very often...

• Options
    Went out over lunch to Barnes and Noble to see what they had.

They had the ISS, the Ideas Fossils set, and the treehouse.

Thankfully my way too big lego backlog and events in another thread stopped me... but man, I gotta go in there sparingly! So tempting when there isn't a Lego store in the area.

• Options
    Now, what Barnes & Noble did have was a ton of Series 2 blind bags for Super Mario. So I decided to finally buy them.

I HATE blind bags, because I always seem to get duplicates - especially of ones I don't care for.

But I have to admit, I'm happy with the 5 I pulled.

wNNNI76h.jpg

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular

That's really interesting. I like the ship in the bottle, but I took (someone here)'s advice and bought an extra 150 or so studs off pick a brick. I think the water looks much better with just a bit more volume to it. The default is a bit too thin for my tastes.

• Options
    Nice, you lucked out.

Also I want to point out that @Athenor is an awesome guy and sold me his extra Bullet Bill. Thank you dude for helping me out.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Wow. Refreshed my wishlist at 23:56 and R2D2 was available. Quickly rushed through checkout and got confirmation

Then went to the account section just to double check and I was suddenly put in a queue of over 1000 people

I think the servers are getting hammered tonight

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Wow. Refreshed my wishlist at 23:56 and R2D2 was available. Quickly rushed through checkout and got confirmation

Then went to the account section just to double check and I was suddenly put in a queue of over 1000 people

I think the servers are getting hammered tonight

Dang it. They are already up???

Edit: Ok, they're not up yet. Guess there was a few put up early by mistake?

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Lord! It happened! The perfect bag! Exactly the right number of each piece. No little extra that goes into my misc. bag.

Wild! I don't think this ever happened to me before.

This discussion has been closed.