As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Lego] Thread

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited May 25
    Athenor wrote: »
    As a collector, the one thing I really like about Lego is that they make most of their sets available for quite a while - especially the exclusives. Like, if I really want the Daily Bugle, I'll have no troubles getting it in a year or two. Sure, the trade-off for that is if I miss it, I REALLY miss it (RIP Helicarrier), but knowing I don't need to rush out immediately feels pretty good compared to other toy collections.

Guessing you mean the big helicarrier? I saw the smaller one at my local Target this weekend (or was it Walmart, I went to both looking for Lego deals).

Edit: Yeah I love Lego over all other things I'm buying just for the reason you mentioned. Just the GWP and other exclusives are harder to get, but regular sets are easy to come by.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    RaijuAthenor
  • RaijuRaiju regular Registered User regular
    edited May 25
    I'd love to get my hands on the UCS style MCU Helicarrier (as opposed to the toyetic smaller version with MODOK that was recently released). I got back into Lego fairly late and was playing catch up for a bit but missed out on a few gems like the UCS Imperial Shuttle and Palace Cinema modular.

Raiju on
    Local H JayAthenor
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I got the LEGO Porsche 911 1974 for my birthday and I think it looks very slick, there's two things I am not very impressed with.
    89ld5d3zq0z7.jpgThe wheels stick out of the body, which isn't like the actual car at all. In fact: the wheels should have been a little bit smaller to make the car look more like the real-world counterpart.

blm0gb64uvgd.jpg
    I was sad to see that the lights had the serial numbers etc on them. It would have looked sooooo slick if they would have come with completely clean bricks instead

Yesterday the kid and I made use of some of the 90s LEGO I had to make a minifig stand. We also used some Duplo because geez Lego bricks are actually very small. The kid picked the minifigs he wanted to display, so enjoy this smorgasbord of minifigs throughout the ages. I think bottom left is the oldest one we had (from the 6590 camper released in the 80s
    n6ecnncrwkan.jpg

DelduwathLocal H JayRaijuAiouaElvenshaeBetsuniForarFeloniousmozdjmitchellaWatcherMagellchromdomGilgaronironsizide
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Lego art has announced a world map. It is over 11,000 pieces (mostly studs) and $250. It is designed to be a hell of a conversation piece.

He/Him
    TynnanElvenshaeBetsuniHefflingchromdomironsizide
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 25
    nHWWxre.jpg
    H3lFzyN.jpg

this really should be like... fucking catnip to me

maps + lego? maps made out of lego? GIANT maps made out of lego?

it's like a brolo trap set up with the sweetest kind of brolo bait

IIrJWca.jpg

L4iFP8Z.jpg

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2021/05/25/lego-art-31203-world-map-the-biggest-lego-set-ever-review/

but i'm actually just kinda... ambivalent?

like if they had made it a topographic map, with the greens and growns of the land showing up, and then put studs on top of studs so they could have done more with elevation... this feels a bit like a missed opportunity

Brolo on
    Elvenshae[Expletive deleted]rndmheroRhesus PositiveBetsuniDoodmannAldoschussHefflingBigPointyTeethRaiju
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    That's a bit rubbish looking

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    ElvenshaeDark Raven XrndmheroAldoschussCrippl3yossarian_livesRaijuChiselphane
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I don’t know how they would do it, it I wish they included enough pieces so you could highlight different areas.

Like, my wife and I have a map of Chicago in our house and we’ve highlighted all the places we’ve lived (both separately and together) using stickers. It’s a great conversation piece when people see it and see all the neighborhoods we’ve lived in.

It would be cool to have this, but highlight the different countries and places we’ve been.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    Rhesus PositiveRaiju
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    I don’t know how they would do it, it I wish they included enough pieces so you could highlight different areas.

Like, my wife and I have a map of Chicago in our house and we’ve highlighted all the places we’ve lived (both separately and together) using stickers. It’s a great conversation piece when people see it and see all the neighborhoods we’ve lived in.

It would be cool to have this, but highlight the different countries and places we’ve been.

They include cone elements to create pins.

The more I think about it, I think it's the striking white that throws people off. Because personally, the idea of a world map of the oceans is awesome. And of course by using white studs, you can customize it. But... yeah. My personal being like "Damn that's cool" is offset by the idea that it isn't a traditional map.

He/Him
    Betsuni
    Bedigunz wrote: »

you do end up with a fair amount of extra studs when you're left over, so you could put colored studs in the appropriate places

even more fun would be removing the white studs and attaching microfigs in the little areas to display where you've been/visited

Betsuni
  • pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    edited May 25
    I guess you could do that if you wanted? The land areas are all studs, so you could either place coloured bricks of some kind on top, or swap out the relevant studs.

edit: Apparently they suggest that in the instructions

pezgen on
    FdFGTo8.jpg
    Introducing my Lego Map of Europe! The map uses coloured Lego bricks to highlight the countries my wife and I have visited. I used grey bricks to illustrate the countries we were yet to explore. A key documents terrain elevation in metres and feet, from the sea floor to the tallest mountain. The map measures at 65 x 65 cm (82 x 82 studs) and it’s tallest point (the Alps) is 2.4 cm tall. It’s my biggest build since my Lego wedding, at an estimated total of 5000 Lego bricks used!

6tVZNSw.jpg
    mm91gbyh.jpg

https://bricktwist.com/lego-map-europe/

this style is a lot more interesting to me

Mojo_JojoRhesus PositiveBetsuniDoodmannForarElvenshaeschussHefflingTynnan[Expletive deleted]Knight_RaijuchromdomChiselphaneironsizide
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    It's the stark white for continents that I don't like. A full topographical-colored map (ocean and land mass) would be neat. Maybe raise the continents up one stud above the ocean, but that would be a lot more pieces.

DoctorArchBetsuniElvenshaeRaijuMagell
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think there about a dozen things they could've done to make the world map better.

I'm still absolutely going to buy it however.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited May 25
    I simultaneously think "whoa that's cool" and "man, coulda been more".

Anyway, now they can sell you microbuilds of famous landmarks from all over the world for you to stick onto your world map.

Maybe do them as blind bags :cool:

EDIT: Incidentally, is there a term for those that doesn't use the word "blind"? I don't know if any blind people actually find this sort of usage irritating, but personally I'd just prefer to get away from describing unfavorable objects/situations with words that primarily describe human beings' mental/physical statuses.

Delduwath on
    Betsuni
    Delduwath wrote: »

Anyway, now they can sell you microbuilds of famous landmarks from all over the world for you to stick onto your world map.

EDIT: Incidentally, is there a term for those that doesn't use the word "blind"? I don't know if any blind people actually find this sort of usage irritating, but personally I'd just prefer to get away from describing unfavorable objects/situations with words that primarily describe human beings' mental/physical statuses.

Gacha maybe?

He/Him
    RaijuDark Raven X

Mystery bags?

Raiju
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Lootboxes?

Booster packs?

Might as well co-opt the language of other systems for similar products (while recognizing these terms also carry history, baggage, and even negative connotations for some).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Raiju
    Brolo wrote: »

Mystery bags?
    Yeah, I think this probably makes the most sense to me. Thanks!

I mean, I know what gacha and lootboxes and booster packs are, because I'm a dork-ass dork, but I was looking for a term that would be more generic than those, and could at least sorta stand on its own.

...not that I'm anticipating ever discussing Lego mystery bags with anyone other than S-tier dorks.

Brolo
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Great idea on the map it looks like shit.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    Raiju
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Looks painful to build, too. My fingers are still sore from snapping in all those tiles in the TV background in the NES set.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    DJ Eebs

wow this is some clever design

it's also not too big, doesn't require any licensing, doesn't require any custom minifigs/pieces/printing

but it does need power

I wonder if it could make its way through the ideas program gauntlet

Rhesus PositiveElvenshaeKhepraBetsuniCrippl3RaijuTynnanMagellDoctorArchForardjmitchellaironsizide
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So I'm going to have to get The Guardian's Ship -- I thought I was doing a good job resisting until I saw that Thor came with a donut.

It comes with all the Guardians of the Galaxy except for Drax and Gamora, and because I'm a completionist I'll have to get them. What's the best way to get individual minifigs? I don't mind if they're custom as long as they look good.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    RaijuLibrarian's ghostBetsuniDark Raven X
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    When I get that Daily Bugle I need to track down the 66 Batman and Robin and have them climbing the side. I think they'd fit in really well.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork

AthenorElvenshaeBetsuniTomantaRhesus Positiveyossarian_livesDark Raven XForarPailryderboogedybooironsizide
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So I'm going to have to get The Guardian's Ship -- I thought I was doing a good job resisting until I saw that Thor came with a donut.

It comes with all the Guardians of the Galaxy except for Drax and Gamora, and because I'm a completionist I'll have to get them. What's the best way to get individual minifigs? I don't mind if they're custom as long as they look good.

Just for kicks and giggles I went looking at bricklink for Drax and Gamora minifigures. Holy cow Drax is expensive. They really should make a set with those two so people like you can get a complete team.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Raiju
    Betsuni wrote: »

Just for kicks and giggles I went looking at bricklink for Drax and Gamora minifigures. Holy cow Drax is expensive. They really should make a set with those two so people like you can get a complete team.

Drax was such a cute minifigure. Instead of skull tattoos, there are minifigure head tattoos on him. Great attention to detail.

He/Him
    mxmarksDark Raven X
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Daily Bugle is up for VIP currently. I just ordered one with no issue.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork

RaijuBroloAthenorBetsuniboogedyboo
  • Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    Daily Bugle headed my way. I mean, my credit card was just sitting there with a zero balance, am I supposed to just let that happen? I can pay it off again with all those pictures of Spiderman I'll be rolling in soon, I guess...

BetsuniDark Raven XElvenshaeForarRaijuboogedybooDoctor DetroitRhesus Positive
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

Gamora did get a great minifig in the Infinity War Benatar set, but it's pretty weird Drax has been missing since the GotG2 wave. Even weirder that they'd put a Chitauri in this set in his stead.

Oh brilliant
    BetsuniRaiju
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Daily Bugle is still up for sale as of an hour or so ago. Imagine the price plus height is making it a tougher sell for most. Didn't stop me though! It probably should have stopped me.

BetsuniDark Raven XRaijuDoctor DetroitBogart
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Daily Bugle is still up for sale as of an hour or so ago. Imagine the price plus height is making it a tougher sell for most. Didn't stop me though! It probably should have stopped me.

I think most people are waiting for a 2x points to buy their set.

Me, I'm hoping to live vicariously through you all posting pictures once you built yours.

oosik_betsuni.png
    see317RaijuWatcherboogedyboo
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

I think most people are waiting for a 2x points to buy their set.

Me, I'm hoping to live vicariously through you all posting pictures once you built yours.

Yeah, I actually decided to wait for a double VIP Points event before picking this up since there's no real special promotion for the release.

Minifigs.me is having a 5% sale at the moment that I'm more tempted by.

Betsuni
    Raiju wrote: »

Oooh a sale on custom minifigs? *Goes to look* I don't see the sale on the main page. Aw man it is a UK site.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited May 26
    Raiju wrote: »

Oooh a sale on custom minifigs? *Goes to look* I don't see the sale on the main page. Aw man it is a UK site.

They mailed me a coupon code for 5% off. It's not much, but it's something. Shipping is free (worldwide) over a minimum purchase price threshold. I've never actually bought from them before so this would be my first time.

I missed out on their John Wick and minifig scale (older style 6-stud wide Speed Champions build) Mustang, sadly. They have some other figs available like their Fast & Furious and Stranger Things sub-themes that look kinda neat.

I did watch some YouTube video reviews of their past stuff and their printing isn't quite up to the high quality of Brickmania custom printed minifigs, for example, but they're still pretty decent, apparently.

Raiju on
    Betsuni
  • BogartBogart Gonna Be A Man In Motion Registered User, Moderator mod
    Looking at the minifigs site it seems they have a reasonable Firefly and original Alien crew sets for (very expensive) sale. I am more tempted than I should be, even if the one I really want (a good looking TNG crew) is nowhere to be seen.

PailryderBetsuniForarMegaMan001Raiju
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    So my Target had an entire endcap full of Bonsai trees. I guess I found where all of them were hiding.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
    MegaMan001BetsuniRaijuElvenshaePailryderAthenorRhesus Positive
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Looking at the minifigs site it seems they have a reasonable Firefly and original Alien crew sets for (very expensive) sale. I am more tempted than I should be, even if the one I really want (a good looking TNG crew) is nowhere to be seen.

Wow, my wallet did not need this. They have some very very cool stuff on there.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    Bogart wrote: »

I pulled the trigger on the full Nostromo crew and Xenomorph Hunters sets (most of the cast of the Alien and Aliens movie). Big fan of those films (RIP the actors for Apone, Ash, Brett, Dallas, Hudson, Kane, and Parker) and the Xenomorph Hunters will go well with the Brickmania vehicle sets I already have (the Colonial Marines APC and Cheyenne Dropship).

I still need to build a Power Loader mech suit for Ripley (I have some digital instructions for a MOC saved) and have her square off against an Alien Queen (will need to track down some decent instructions and BrickLink parts for her).

I'd love a TNG crew and Enterprise bridge playset. Brickmania did a very cool version of the TOS Enterprise bridge and crew a few years back (long since sold out and now out of production) that they had on sale at one point, with sliding doors and included lighting kit for the red alert klaxxon.

I was sorely tempted but passed since I'm definitely more of a TNG (and DS9) fan than I am of TOS. I'm sure there are custom TNG minifigs out there available for purchase but a full bridge playset would be a sight to see.

BetsuniForar
    I wouldn't be surprised if you can't find the TNG crew because Paramount has a license with Mega Blox / Construx for Star Trek kits.

He/Him
    edited May 27

minifig.me's custom prints are pretty decent quality, they're not quite as nice as Lego's printed parts, but you have to get pretty close to notice it

j70yB3Ih.jpg
    6uNaDxxh.jpg

got myself bricked up by them a few years back

Brolo on
    AthenorElvenshaepezgenBetsuniAldoDarkPrimusPailryderchromdomdarunia106RaijuDark Raven XDJ EebsLocal H JayMegaMan001ForarHefflingRhesus PositiveLindsay Lohanironsizide
    I've been watching a lot of hachiroku24 videos of late as a way to unwind in the evening. After each one, I think "I gotta share this in the thread", but I don't because I would basically just be sharing the entire contents of that channel, video by video.

Gonna post this one, though:

I am just constantly blown away by how they can see all of these ways a brick can fit into a model that I can't remotely envision. All the SNOT work is just baffling to me. And this video, a whole-ass brachiosaurus out of a T. rex? And the only compromise is that the tail is stubby and bends at a 90 degree angle? Ridiculous.

BroloRaijuBetsuniForarRhesus Positiveironsizide
This discussion has been closed.