As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Lego] Thread

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Question is, can I replace the shark with the Gura Nendo...

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

It definitely has a Battle Beasts vibe going for it!

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Anyone know how good BrickEconomy.com is about their retirement estimates? I'm planning out my brick budget and was going to pick up the new Discovery shuttle and the Lunar Lander this summer, with plans to pick up the NES this Christmas, but BrickEconomy is saying the NES will likely retire soon. If that's the case, I'll definitely switch these around.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Occasional Legoer here, impatiently waiting for the new Guardian's Ship to go on sale next weekend. I've already picked up Drax and Gamora minifigs to round out the Guardians, so I don't want to leave anything to chance.

Anything I should know other than to try around midnight eastern, already have my account ready to go, and cross my fingers?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Occasional Legoer here, impatiently waiting for the new Guardian's Ship to go on sale next weekend. I've already picked up Drax and Gamora minifigs to round out the Guardians, so I don't want to leave anything to chance.

Anything I should know other than to try around midnight eastern, already have my account ready to go, and cross my fingers?

That is probably your best bet. Might want to try checking it around 15-20 minutes ahead of midnight since there are times where things went live. Sometimes they have had issues in the past where gift with purchases error or don't show up till after midnight. Hopefully July 31/August 1 will go smoother than December 31/January 1 where that thing was an utter nightmare. I'm hoping that since the latest things showing up were easy to pre-order that the majority of people who were buying Lego due to everybody being at home are now taking vacations and spending that money elsewhere (not to mention focused on other things).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    Is there gonna be a controversy about how they named this set The Guardian's Ship and not The Benetar???

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Anyone else get the new "Adults Welcome" catalog from Lego? It is very, very snazzy.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    KPC wrote: »
    Is there gonna be a controversy about how they named this set The Guardian's Ship and not The Benetar???

My guess is they just didn't want to potentially annoy the actual Pat Benetar.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

They may have done it to avoid legal stuff, though who knows at this point

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Do they ever actually refer to it by name in the movies?

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Damn, I forgot to check in on the collectors vip coins, and of course they were instantly snagged.

But I can buy one on eBay for $50!

… yeah not doing that.

As someone who has gotten half a dozen challenge coins made, these things strongly benefits from economy of scale. Just make more of them. It brings the cost per unit down, if nothing else (though admittedly going from 5,000 to 10,000 is a lot less impressive than going from 100 to 200, based on the company I’ve worked with).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Anyone else get the new "Adults Welcome" catalog from Lego? It is very, very snazzy.

Nope, did you get one? I saw it on the Internet but didn't know anybody who got one.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    What are folks talking about, VIP points and stuff?

Should I be signing up somewhere?

My City People Pack Space Research and Development and Lunar Space Station arrived in the mail.

Just waiting on... the Space Satellite Service Mission, Space Utility Vehicle Mini Set, the Space Port Utility Shuttle Building, and the City Space Shuttle.

I'm gonna have so many small space shuttles.

Oh, and the Retro Batmobile!

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    What are folks talking about, VIP points and stuff?

Should I be signing up somewhere?

My City People Pack Space Research and Development and Lunar Space Station arrived in the mail.

Just waiting on... the Space Satellite Service Mission, Space Utility Vehicle Mini Set, the Space Port Utility Shuttle Building, and the City Space Shuttle.

I'm gonna have so many small space shuttles.

Oh, and the Retro Batmobile!

Lego has a program called "VIP" which is basically their "we track you and give you points for letting us track you" membership. It is free and only works when you buy directly from lego.com or Lego Stores. You can redeem these points for $ coupons or some exclusives (sets or coins, etc.).

https://www.lego.com/en-us/vip/rewards-center

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    They also differentiate Lego Store discounts and Lego Online discounts, so be careful when redeeming stuff. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Boy, is this frustrating...

qlcj7qjvq95q.jpg

Edit: luckily the neck was turned slighrly up, so I could get a small nail in there and it popped out.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Between the minifigs that come with the sets, the Researxh pack and this little Mars Exploration figure pack with another 4 figs in it... I have a lot of minifigs. That's not counting the 6 blind bags I bought at the store, with the beach bum, centaur, 2 lounge singers, a pug cosplayer and the one I wanted, the Space Policeman.

6njtmvxdosg2.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Nope, did you get one? I saw it on the Internet but didn't know anybody who got one.

I got one. I already own most of the sets in it except for the really expensive ones.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

I got one. I already own most of the sets in it except for the really expensive ones.

:( I didn't get one...

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

I got one too and I was going to ask here I'd anyone had ever tried to order sold out sets over the phone rather than online. I wonder if they have a different stock

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Anyone know how good BrickEconomy.com is about their retirement estimates? I'm planning out my brick budget and was going to pick up the new Discovery shuttle and the Lunar Lander this summer, with plans to pick up the NES this Christmas, but BrickEconomy is saying the NES will likely retire soon. If that's the case, I'll definitely switch these around.

I honestly have never seen that site. The Discovery will be around for a while since it just came out. The Lunar Lander came out in June 2019 and the NES came out in August 2020. I would imagine that the Lunar Lander might retire earlier since the NES interacts with the Mario figure. But no idea since they could retire the NES due to shelf space.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

I honestly have never seen that site. The Discovery will be around for a while since it just came out. The Lunar Lander came out in June 2019 and the NES came out in August 2020. I would imagine that the Lunar Lander might retire earlier since the NES interacts with the Mario figure. But no idea since they could retire the NES due to shelf space.

I've found a good way to keep track of these things is to get a VIP account going and add everything you're thinking about getting to your wishlist. Then make that wishlist page your home page. It'll change the "In stock" text to "Retiring Soon" as the retirement date gets closer.

Also remember the number one rule of Lego - if you want it, buy it immediately. It only gets more expensive. *Sighs and gestures to the Ghostbusters Firehouse on ebay*

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I've found a good way to keep track of these things is to get a VIP account going and add everything you're thinking about getting to your wishlist. Then make that wishlist page your home page. It'll change the "In stock" text to "Retiring Soon" as the retirement date gets closer.

Also remember the number one rule of Lego - if you want it, buy it immediately. It only gets more expensive. *Sighs and gestures to the Ghostbusters Firehouse on ebay*

My white whale is the modular Palace Cinema theater set. I should not have passed on that one. I had it in my Amazon cart at one point when it was still available but never pulled the trigger for whatever reason. It was soon gone and relegated to overpriced third party sellers by that point.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Boy, is this frustrating...

qlcj7qjvq95q.jpg

Edit: luckily the neck was turned slighrly up, so I could get a small nail in there and it popped out.

Otherwise you'd have been forced to build a guillotine around it.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Aaaaaaah!

According to my new lego.com VIP status, all the City Space stuff I'm buying is discontinued! Which means if I'm getting the bigger sets, I need to do it now! Walmart.com is out of stock, but I could still get them on Amazon. Ugh. I hate making snap decisions.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Took the fam to the new Lego Experience Center in Scheveningen. It had scale models of famous buildings in The Hague, but I just loved the way they did a 24hr cycle with the whole installation lighting up when the lights dimmed. I didn't take more pics, but they are reallly good at making old-timey buildings as well as modern skyscrapers. Of course it helps a lot that they can just glue pieces together and it doesn't have to be play-proof.

d2kr8brd2q5q.jpg
    u85a0wb0559b.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2021
    I bought those sets. I think I've spent over $600 on my credit card in the last couple days. Maybe more.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Has anyone tried those Lightailing kits to light up their models? I just daw one for the 3 in 1 Rover and it looks fantastic. I do not want to cut holes in my Lego for lights though.

Anybody use them and know how they fit in?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried those Lightailing kits to light up their models? I just daw one for the 3 in 1 Rover and it looks fantastic. I do not want to cut holes in my Lego for lights though.

Anybody use them and know how they fit in?

They just run between bricks. Wires are small enough that bricks will sit almost flush and the lights fit pretty well underneath translucent bricks (or as mostly hidden sticky strips). Still, it's not going to be easy to take a lighted set apart without damaging to wiring but no harm to the bricks themselves.

This is specific to Light My Bricks, but I can't imagine anyone requiring you to damage bricks. For reference, I have the Lunar Lander and Ninjago City (with Destiny's Bounty and the Docks still to do).

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I have the Lightailing kit for my Millennium Falcon and it was easy to set up and looks good, imo.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I have kits for my ghostbuster firehouse and both Ecto-1s. They weren’t lightailing but they worked the same. Easy to set up.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    I have also had a good experience with BrickLoot for lighting (https://www.brickloot.com/collections/lights). They also make a bunch of plug and play individual stuff if you want to customize.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Tuk Tuk! Just got mine in the mail, but my sons are out of town with my wife. All three wanted to help build it. They insisted that I wait for them to get home. I tried to make it clear that it’s mine, but that’s not going to really mean anything. Also I’m going to have to fight my oldest for who gets the new Boba Fett starship. Three kids plus limited income = epic lego battles. I’m thinking Diplo for my youngest aren’t going to cut it next year! These are good problems!

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Tuk Tuk! Just got mine in the mail, but my sons are out of town with my wife. All three wanted to help build it. They insisted that I wait for them to get home. I tried to make it clear that it’s mine, but that’s not going to really mean anything. Also I’m going to have to fight my oldest for who gets the new Boba Fett starship. Three kids plus limited income = epic lego battles. I’m thinking Diplo for my youngest aren’t going to cut it next year! These are good problems!

There are several rule sets that allow you to have literal epic LEGO battles.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options

Speaking of Tuk Tuk, I recently modded that little set to be somewhat more in scale with minifigs. Took a bit of doing but can fit two figures comfortably.

qjcondhr2eqq.jpg
    991ld1h2rp4j.jpg

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Lego Death Star Destroys - 1:09

https://youtu.be/bDl7fR5A7oo

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Lego Death Star Destroys - 1:09

https://youtu.be/bDl7fR5A7oo

I literally watched that video an hour ago. Simplicity at its best.

Raiju on
  • Options
    I deliberately held off on finishing the Barracuda Bay tonight. All I have left is bags 14 and 15. 14 is the top deck of the captain's quarters and the back area. And 15 is the pieces needed to return the ship to its original glory.

Man, it's been such a fun build! Just lots of little details that I adore.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The recent R2D2 is a great value. So far I've taken it apart twice because the first time his middle leg didn't want to latch in place, now it doesn't want to come unlatched.

Turns out I've put some stuff from bag 2 (of 13) in back-to-front that's messing with the tilting mechanism so now I've got both legs, side panels, front, back and head all separated and at some point I need to start again from page 1 to make sure everything in the interior frame is the right way round.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I received the Boba Fett helmet as a birthday present and assembled it today to go with my Stormtrooper. The Fett helmet has some interesting tricks: there are two sections of very thin striping that are accomplished by having pieces stacked sideways. One of them is essentially the entire width of the helmet and ends up with the pieces being clipped onto a rail instead of the normal way bricks are put together on the other side.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
This discussion has been closed.