As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Horror Movie Month, Brought to You by SHUDDER®™©

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    horror comedies whip ass

is that...good?

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    if you have to ask, you'll never know

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Raijin QuickfootStiltsdarunia106
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    tough but fair.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    My favorite horror comedies are probably Shaun of the Dead and Gremlins.

But there's also like, comedies that are themed around horror tropes, which I would call different, like Cabin in the Woods or What We Do In The Shadows. And then horror movies that have intentionally funny parts, like Re-Animator or An American Werewolf In London

3cl1ps3
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The Babysitter is an excellent comedy horror.

LadaiA Dabble Of Thelonius
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I liked the NZ Housebound a huge amount. It's very funny and on Netflix.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

But there's also like, comedies that are themed around horror tropes, which I would call different, like Cabin in the Woods or What We Do In The Shadows. And then horror movies that have intentionally funny parts, like Re-Animator or An American Werewolf In London

Gremlins 2 is so so good. I love how much time they spend just openly mocking the first film.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I'm 1000% being overly pedantic but I think there's a difference between a comedy/horror and a horror/comedy. I'd call something like Shaun of the Dead a comedy horror in that it's a comedy at its core wearing some horror. Whereas something like Cabin in the Woods is the inverse of that.

Definitely agree with the sentiment that some of the best horror weaves comedic elements throughout. CitW for example (again) does this masterfully to the point where it is almost more of comedy. It takes it right to the line and pulls back at the last second.

This has been my overly pedantic hot take.

Magic Pink
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Gremlins 2 is fine.

The first one is a masterpiece.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Gremlins 2 is fine.

The first one is a masterpiece.

I cannot follow you down this road

Magic PinkNarbusRorshach Kringle
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Gremlins 2 is so so good. I love how much time they spend just openly mocking the first film.

Always worth posting
    http://www.cc.com/video-playlists/kw3fj0/the-opposition-with-jordan-klepper-welcome-to-the-opposition-w--jordan-klepper/j90c9o

I'll also shout out two of my favorite horror movies, Green Room and The Innkeepers, both of which use a lot of comedy elements at the beginning to get you to side with their characters and set you up for a bigger fall.

Oh also I should probably add Murder Party to my favorite horror comedies, honestly.

Magic PinkRaijin Quickfoot
    I'll also shout out two of my favorite horror movies, Green Room and The Innkeepers, both of which use a lot of comedy elements at the beginning to get you to side with their characters and set you up for a bigger fall.

Oh also I should probably add Murder Party to my favorite horror comedies, honestly.

Also, check out Dave Made A Maze. Deffo Comedy Horror but also indie art film.

And of course RUBBER one of the best weird art horror films ever made.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Dave Made A Maze is awesome

Magic Pink
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I still haven't seen Dave Made A Maze, despite being excited for it when it came out

I should really fix that

Maddoc on
    Magic PinkRaijin QuickfootSweeney TomGustavRorshach Kringle
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Green Room is so great

SatanIsMyMotorRaijin QuickfootStraightziDescendant XLadaiMedium Dave
    I honestly find Green Room hard to watch after Anton Yelchin passed. The characters in that movie feel so real.

DepressperadoDescendant X
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I remember thinking that the first Evil Dead was a pretty good horror movie, three was a pretty good zany comedy-adventure, but two's particular mixture of zany comedy and bleak horror didn't quite work for me

wandering on
    Depressperado
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    I remember thinking that the first Evil Dead was a pretty good horror movie, three was a pretty good zany comedy-adventure, but two's particular mixture of zany comedy and bleak horror didn't quite work for me

The remake from 2013 is really very good! More straight up horror than anything else, though the Deadites are recognizably Deadites, except just scary.

While not even remotely a horror movie, Sanctum has always scared the ever-loving piss out of me. Tight spaces underwater are a big nope for me.

Magic Pink
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    We watched evil dead 2 again just last night aaaaaand it pretty solidified that I think the first is way better. There’s plenty to like there but on rewatch I was mostly... bored

Green Room is so great

Some of the most believable punks in all of film.

DepressperadoRaijin QuickfootMetzger Meister
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    yeah I was in on Evil Dead 2 for the truly gonzo first half hour but the rest has not really been grabbing me

I want full cartoon and this is some half measures

6F32U1X.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    whoops I guess I should've waited 15 more seconds for chainsaw hand

I retract my statement

6F32U1X.png
    Grey GhostOlivawjoshofalltradesfacetiousLadaivalhalla130MatevNarbus
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Brain Dead/Dead Alive is pretty high up there in the comedy/horror pantheon.

Greasy Strangler is basically Napoleon Dynamite with murder and drugs by the fistfuls. I enjoyed it, but if it isn't for you, you will know immediately.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    Oh yeah. Great horror comedy.

You have to watch Final Girls.

Not The Final Girl. Final Girls.

The Final Girl kind of sucks.

SatanIsMyMotorMagic PinkA Dabble Of Thelonius
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I still haven't seen Dave Made A Maze, despite being excited for it when it came out

I should really fix that

Is it streaming anywhere?

• LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I saw the first Evil Dead recently for the first time in years and it was way, way funnier and sillier than I remembered.

Like, the first time I saw it I was 11 or 12 in a dark basement with like four other classmates and it fucking terrified me. But sitting in a theater full of adults who are all laughing at the oddball line readings and low-budget action kinda highlighted all the goofier bits of the movie and killed the horror aspect for me.

Still love the movie, though.

I need to revisit Evil Dead 2. It's been years since I've seen that as well.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

I should really fix that

hulu

6vjsgrerts6r.png

joshofalltrades
    Evil Dead 2 will probably be the first R rated movie I show my tiny children. It's scary and silly and there's like barely any RED blood and also the movie is fantastic and probably won't be seared into their brains like watching the radioactive dude from RoboCop get splatted on the van...like someone I know (it's me, I'm the one).

First R rated movie...

I know i saw Predator in the theater. I would have been 6.

I'm sure that's not the first though.

I bawled like crazy at the end of that film. I loves it.

Super emotional strip tease

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    One of the 4th graders at my kids' school was dressed like the killer in the poster for Happy Death Day 2 U. Same mask and outfit, right down to carrying a cupcake that looked similar.

That was completely unexpected, but nicely done.

Raijin QuickfootA Dabble Of Thelonius
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    If I get to curate first R horror movie, I'm leaning April Fool's Day for my kid. Only 1 or 2 sorta rough scenes that I remember, but enough of an edge to feel sort of illicit.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    Hands down my favorite horror comedy is Return of the Living Dead. I couldn't even tell you how many times I've seen that movie and I watch it at least once a year now. Will probably do so this weekend. I saw Evil Dead 2 during its original theatrical run with my younger brother and a friend of ours and none of us were old enough to be in there given the R rating so not sure how we did that. Here's to bored underpaid teenage cinema staff. I just remember we were laughing our asses off the whole time and I think it was just us three in the screening. One of my favorite movie-going memories.

Super emotional strip tease

That's where I STOPPED bawling, actually.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

I should really fix that

hulu

I don’t see it listed. :(

Ataxrxes wrote: »
    Hands down my favorite horror comedy is Return of the Living Dead. I couldn't even tell you how many times I've seen that movie and I watch it at least once a year now. Will probably do so this weekend.

fuck YES. i stayed up until 3am one night as a yow'an to watch that during a free Cinemax weekend way back in the 80's. that was the first film that really made me terrified of zombies and the original soundtrack was awesome. it fucked me up for YEARS

AtaxrxesInvectivus
    Ataxrxes wrote: »
    Hands down my favorite horror comedy is Return of the Living Dead. I couldn't even tell you how many times I've seen that movie and I watch it at least once a year now. Will probably do so this weekend. I saw Evil Dead 2 during its original theatrical run with my younger brother and a friend of ours and none of us were old enough to be in there given the R rating so not sure how we did that. Here's to bored underpaid teenage cinema staff. I just remember we were laughing our asses off the whole time and I think it was just us three in the screening. One of my favorite movie-going memories.

Zombies getting on the radio to order more brains. It's great. I want more "conscious" zombies.

Magic Pinkvalhalla130Donnicton