As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Horror Movie Month, Brought to You by SHUDDER®™©

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I watched Society last night.

I like wet practical effects. I don't like the wealthy.

Pretty good movie.

So I saw this movie in a packed bar.

the response was...

well it was loud but i'm not sure it was enthusiasm

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Society is great, but it is a lot to spring on folks just trying to get drunk and not see a wet butt monster.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    yeah it was very apparent which segment of the crowd was their for the drink specials

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I liked birdbox quite a bit though it does ask an awful lot of its audience as far as willingness not to ask questions

I'm basically the dumbest and most credulous movie watcher so it worked for me

The only thing that really got to me was how much make up and botox Sandra Bullock had going on. I get actresses in mainstream hollywood pretty much have to but it was just depressing.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    I liked birdbox quite a bit though it does ask an awful lot of its audience as far as willingness not to ask questions

I'm basically the dumbest and most credulous movie watcher so it worked for me

The only thing that really got to me was how much make up and botox Sandra Bullock had going on. I get actresses in mainstream hollywood pretty much have to but it was just depressing.

Yeah it bums me out too how much we as a society force women to continually look like they're in their mid 20's. We're pathologically afraid of letting women just age naturally. It's enraging.

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Took a bit of a break from watching stuff I hadn't seen to double feature two classics in a little genre I like to call "Surprise! Demons!"

These are movies that start relatively mundane but then...well, the title says it all.

So anyway I watched The Midnight Meat Train followed immediately by Event Horizon.

It's been a long day. My Clives are Barkering.

Currently watching The House That Dripped Blood for day 11 of new to me stuff. All Robert Bloch story anthology with Cushing and Lee. I'd only ever seen Monster Club of the Amicus anthologies, which is the swinging disco anthology with Vincent Price.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Okay, let's check out what this episode of Creepshow is oh my god it's Jeffrey Combs

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I mean of course it is

I ain't watched any Creepshow yet, but Jeffrey Combs showing up is like, the least surprising thing

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    The second segment of the first episode of Creepshow does a lot with a little in a real good way. I wasn’t too hot on the Grey Matter adaptation, unfortunately.

04xkcuvaav19.png
    Doing 12 and 13 as a double feature since I wasn't able to get home last night. Doing Tale of Two Sisters and Hagazussa.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    Doing 12 and 13 as a double feature since I wasn't able to get home last night. Doing Tale of Two Sisters and Hagazussa.

Hagazussa is very, very good.

Just finished Tale of Two Sisters. It was great! The ghost scenes felt like actual night terrors.

edited October 2019
    Change in plans since my friend has seen Hagazussa. Doing that tomorrow and Wake in Fright tonight.

astrobstrd on
    It pains me to relate that The Banana Splits Movie was pretty ass. Lots of "oh that just happened to work out that way" bullshit that made no sense.

Boy, for a movie where no one dies and there are no killers/stalkers, Wake in Fright sure is anxiety inducing. Probably something like Deliverance is the closest comparison point. An unflinching look at a "civilized" man losing himself in a violent, drunken world with a quick and natural ease.

The hunting scenes with real kangaroos getting shot en masse is rough stuff.

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Ok, Horror Night 11 - The Dark Half (1993)

A writer "kills" his hard drinking, hard writin' pen name only for him to wind up being a real dude!?!?!

Directed by Romero and written by King, I really liked it for like an hour and a half...and it's two hours long. That was my biggest problem. It's a little goofy and cheesy but not bad and then end just kinda went the entire way with it. Overall, though, I liked it! Weird, amusing thing was the idea that the people that read his pseudonym's books would be SO FUCKING PISSED that he wasn't a black boot wearin', straight razor sporting badass that they'd, I don't know, riot? Hunt him down and kill him? I guess King might know more about that than me, though.

Night 12 - R-Point (2004)

Korean soldiers go back into the shit in Vietnam to find out what's going on with a bizarre distress call.

And that's the most interesting part of it, the setting. The scares aren't really scary and it's paced incredibly slowly. Oh well.

Night 13 - Bride of Re-Animator (1989)

Herbert West is at it again!

Certainly not as good as Re-Animator, the sequel is kinda goofier and silly but still alright. You've got a lot of practical gross body stuff, you got more green liquid, you got your experiments! Better than a lot of horror sequels but just doesn't have the same magical touch Re-Animator did.

Tonight is 1983's THE FINAL TERROR!!!

I think the only thing I remember from the Dark Half is the brain teeth.

edited October 2019
    Needed a dumb movie after a long day, so put off Hagazussa til tomorrow. Hell House LLC 2 is very dumb and I kinda think it is skating close to good bad territory. The dialogue is so stilted and actors are just reading it straight as written, so its just a found footage movie full of people who are each commiting to one character choice (my guy does not say contractions) and being edited by either a lunatic or someone who literally had nothing to work with.

Edit: I really wish the rest of the movie was as ludicrously bad as the talk show/character development segments. The rest is just a watered down version of the first film that feels even more like a lame real haunted attraction than a cursed movie one.

astrobstrd on
    I watched two dumb and bad movies from the 80's the past 2 nights - The Final Terror and Time Walker (which was done in season 4 of MST3K as Being From Another Planet).

Both dumb and bad and a little boring. Final Terror was pieced together from a bunch of lost negatives and shit and boy was that a waste of time. It DOES have an incredibly young and creepy looking Joey Pants. So young it took me forever to recognize him.

And Time Walker feels like a TV movie they accidentally added some boobs to. A mummy floats around, taking back it's gems and rotting people it touches and oh shit it's an alien and then there's a fat "TO BE CONTINUED" at the end and spoiler........it won't be.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    It's not horror exactly, but I'm watching Twin Peaks for the first time, and wow

This show is weird

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It's not horror exactly, but I'm watching Twin Peaks for the first time, and wow

This show is weird

Season 3 veers hard into surreal horror weirdness

This show is weird

Season 3 veers hard into surreal horror weirdness

gotta light?

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Been trying to catch up on a lot of "horror" movies. Watched Hereditary, Midsommar and The Witch last weekend, and I like this emphasis on "the bad guys are us" theme in all of these movies. Like in The Witch:
    you see the titular character like. . .once I think. Sure she takes the entire family but boy is the family all kinds of messed up by themselves

Midsommar has a similar vibe and is definitely my favorite of the three, especially:
    just how polite and genuinely welcoming The Cult is. They aren't "evil" just culty. The women politely explaining to Christian that he's paralyzed and basically fucked in the most sweetest and "are you comfortable" tone was pure gravy.

Hoping to get caught up on some other good ones the rest of the month (REC and I've heard some of The Conjuring movies are good). I would suggest The Invitation if anyone is interested in that ridiculously tense, real world, kind of "horror" movie (in the same vein as Midsommar).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I haven't seen any of the sequels, but the first Conjuring is definitely a solid haunted house movie. They go pretty heavy on the jump scares but it's also got some good genuine creepy moments.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Went on a journey last night that ended with me starting my 30 day Shudder trial

Was looking for somewhere to watch In the Mouth of Madness, searching on google pulled up a Shudder page which still exists, so I started my trial and tried to watch it, and apparently Shudder does not currently have that movie and you indeed cannot find that page if you search internally with Shudder, but the page still exists and is indexed by Google. If you try to start the movie from that page, an error simply occurs.

So I just said fuck it and rented it off Amazon. Still a bunch of stuff I want to watch on Shudder anyway so welp.

Any folks new to Shudder should also be pointed towards The Last Drive In and the other Joe Bob Briggs marathons. They've lost the rights to quite a bit of it, but I find his trivia, insight, and slightly out of touch cantankerous drunk uncle commentary to be a blast.

If Texas Chainsaw is still available, start there. His Halloween marathon streams 10/25.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I finally sat down and watched that Rosalind Leigh movie that was driving me crazy

That’s a real good slow-burn psychological creepfest that’s dripping with atmosphere and has some real memorable moments in it. I can see why it stuck in my brain to begin with

I’m gonna make a note not to forget it for next year!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    I got kinda bummed when I realized Shock was a mostly Lamberto Bava vehicle and not Mario, as listed via imdb, but it grew on me and that ending is fierce. Not as inventive throughout as peak Bava, but a weird psycho-sexual script and a great performance by Daria Nicolodi put this in the plus column for me. Better than Demoni, the other good Lamberto movie, and way better than Devil Fish and the other MST3K fodder he churned out.

Actually factually starting Hagazussa tonight.

If you want some fun Italian semi-horror films, go grab The Red Queen Kills Seven Times.

Magic Pink wrote: »
    If you want some fun Italian semi-horror films, go grab The Red Queen Kills Seven Times.

Will def. add to my ever-expanding queue. Hagazussa was very good, up there with Wake in Fright and Spider Baby for my favorite so far. Still kind of processing it.

My fave Italian horror find recently was All the Colors of the Dark.

Also, The Night Child is just so so fucking goofy.

Yo. That new Creepshow on Shudder is entirely my jam.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Tigers Are Not Afraid was last night's horror movie and it's fantastic.

Kids orphaned by Mexico's drug wars survive on the streets and with some supernatural help, try to get revenge/closure.

It's great. It looks good, the kids are very good, it's very early/mid Guillermo del Toro with the dark fairy tale/magical realism. I can't recommend it enough. AND it's on Shudder.

Tigers Are Not Afraid was last night's horror movie and it's fantastic.

Kids orphaned by Mexico's drug wars survive on the streets and with some supernatural help, try to get revenge/closure.

It's great. It looks good, the kids are very good, it's very early/mid Guillermo del Toro with the dark fairy tale/magical realism. I can't recommend it enough. AND it's on Shudder.

Sweet, that ones on my list as well.

Think I'm doing Blackcoat's Daughter tonight.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Let the Right One In is a pretty good vampire movie that you should watch

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Tonight I'm watching Night of the Comet

Haha this ruled

it rules but it's a christmas movie!!!

My girlfriend and I do movie/themed cocktails nights with our friends for halloween and Christmas, and i thought about trying Night of the Comet because it’s something that’s influenced things I like but haven’t seen.

But now how do I choose?!

Im also tempted to do Mandy, which is one of the few newer movies I haven’t seen, but that might be one that’s too out there for the normies.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    An additional consideration with Mandy is that you will never get those two hours of you life back

You could do a Tom Atkins double feature of Night of the Creeps and Halloween 3 and just serve the cheapest light beer and whiskey you can find :P .

I love Mandy, but Mom and Dad might be the safer group watch, Nic Cage freakout movie.