Options

PlayStation 5 officially announced for Holiday 2020 release!

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I was incredibly disappointed the Pro didn’t have a 4k drive. Not sure if I’ll trade my Pro in though, I have all those old Playstations in working order.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I just realized that those dev kits are shaped like a roman numeral five.

• Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    I'll probably get a PS5 eventually, but I can wait. The last two PS generations I've bought Gen 1 hardware, only to have it eventually crap out on me due to some manufacturing issue that gets resolved in the next console rev. So I'll just wait for the PS5 Pro, or Slim, or X Pro Slim Hyper Turbo, or whatever. And hope that Sony doesn't pull a PS3 where the later models dropped the backwards compatibility for reasons.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I’ve owned every PlayStation console including their handhelds, but this coming generation isn’t exciting me. I don’t know exactly why, since I play games on my PC still every day and regularly use my Switch. Maybe because I don’t game on my TV anymore. Or I’m getting tired of the console generation cycle. Something is sapping my enthusiasm. Maybe my gaming habits and preferences have just shifted away from home consoles.

I don’t know what it is, but I’m just not excited. I’ll probably get it for a 4k blu ray player if it has one though.

My PS4 Pro looks great, and I haven't seen anything new that excites me. I know what games look like on a high-end PC, and I'm not particularly envious of the difference.

A lot is going to depend on launch games and what the new tech brings. I expect, like most console generations, I'll hold out for a year or so to let the first-gen bugs be fixed then break down when something I really want is released.

It doesn't help that, with most AAA gaming being underwhelming these days, the only big game I'd be excited enough to buy a new console for is Cyberpunk, and I won't need one for that.

Horizon Zero Dawn 2 or, maybe, God of War 2 would probably be the ones that got me to commit.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    With the weird stuff going on with management recently, this seems like a rushed announcement. Wondering if Sony is in financial trouble again.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I am hyped as hell. Sony blew Microsoft, and almost Nintendo, out of the water with their exclusives this generation. Looking forward to seeing what the sequels of some of those games are going to look like on the improved hardware.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I'm gonna be annoyed if they don't have backwards compatibility with PSN PS1 and PSP games. Honestly, they should have PS2 and maybe some Vita games by this point, too. PS3 was weird and hard so I can understand that. Just being PS4 backwards compatible is like, the bare minimum at this point. It's already annoying as hell that we don't have even PS1 backwards compatibility on the PS4, considering you could play them on the PS3 and the Vita.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    kjouke4ldcr31.png

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I just realized that those dev kits are shaped like a roman numeral five.

I still say they missed an opportunity to make it look like a giant '5', but maybe they didn't want to emulate the original Xbox technology testers.

Also, this is America (or Japan, depending on your location). Here, we use Hindu-Arabic digits. Love it or leave it.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Yeah, 4k disc player is a big bonus for me, I'd been holding off on picking up a stand-alone one for just that reason. Hopefully it supports most of the HDR formats and everything as well.

With the full backwards compatibility, unless the price is something stupid, this might be the first PS in a few gens I've picked up at release - PS3 and PS4 I jumped on fairly late in the cycle.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I’m surprised at how little everyone seems to care about the PSV, and I don’t just mean here/this thread. I have been at work all day but I haven’t seen much Tweetering among the people and companies I follow.

I mean the next year is really packed with stuff that people are putting the money aside for: The launch of The Outerworlds is going to begin a fast moving year of gaming that will include Death Stranding, RDR2 on the PC, Cyberpunk 2077, FF7 Remake, The Last of Us II, etc. (I'm sure I'm missing a lot).

. . .there's only so much reserve of hype one can have when we know nothing more than the launch date (which is over a year away). I know I'm exhausted thinking about this upcoming year.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    E3 is going to be fun this year.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    urahonky wrote: »

...we had an E3 this year. It was pretty fun, but Sony skipped it.

Presumably they won't skip next year's E3.

(TIL Urahonky lives and dies by the Fiscal Year.)

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I'm concerned about the storage capacity of the internal SSD drive. Blockbuster games are huge now and they're only going to get bigger next gen; the modular installation discussed in the article is only a partial solution. The PS5 either needs a ton of space or support for external storage right out of the gate.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    I'm concerned about the storage capacity of the internal SSD drive. Blockbuster games are huge now and they're only going to get bigger next gen; the modular installation discussed in the article is only a partial solution. The PS5 either needs a ton of space or support for external storage right out of the gate.

I had to re-read this.

• Options
    Andy Joe wrote: »

I wonder if the "average" user isn't better served by a hybrid drive that's much larger than any SSD we'd get, but "only" has a cache capable of a few large games or one very large game. Purely for example, say a ~2 TB 7200 RPM drive paired with a ~200 GB SSD as a cache--enough for a few large games, or maybe just one or two really large games. As oppose to a 1 TB SSD. The former is presumably still cheaper (it is on NewEgg)--though only by about $40 or so (though the small SSD is much faster than the larger one). But if you're trying to stay under $400 or whatever, it's a potential area.

Or maybe that's the wrong approach. Hopefully Xbox will copy Playstation's option of allowing internal drive swaps (even if only a small fraction of people use them, compared to plugging in a drive via USB).

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'd still guess that having a separate HDD for mass storage would work best. Whichever game is played could get copied to the SSD while you play, just like the install as you play function from disc to HDD this gen.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I'm curious if it will reserve a portion of the SSD space to ensure it stays in good working order. You don't want to completely fill an SSD.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Tax year or gtfo

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

what-year-is-it-jumanji.bmp

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I was under the impression that SSDs do not hold up to repeated writing and erasing. A hybrid drive that copies from a HDD every time seems like it'd eat itself to death in fairly short order.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    I was under the impression that SSDs do not hold up to repeated writing and erasing. A hybrid drive that copies from a HDD every time seems like it'd eat itself to death in fairly short order.

I think the number of read/writes on modern SSD drives before failure is ridiculously high. Like, a standard HDD would likely encounter mechanical failure by that point.

• Options
    Slortex wrote: »

I think the number of read/writes on modern SSD drives before failure is ridiculously high. Like, a standard HDD would likely encounter mechanical failure by that point.

Yeah you probably wouldn't want it for something that reads/writes server data over a long period of time but for video games and home use it's perfectly acceptable. Double so if we have the ability to replace the HDDs ourselves.

• Options
    edited October 2019

This really isn't a serious issue today--SSDs are still more likely to have manufacturing or writing flaws than mechanical drives, especially at the larger sizes when you cut corners, but it's not like mechanical drives can't fail either. I think, in the most dire situation, mechanical drives are s till preferred over solid state (since mechanical failures, even over time, are still really rare), but I don't think that's really relevant for a game console in consumer use for four or five years or whatever.

Plus, a lot of other components are more likely to fail. The optical drive (Sony has had a historic problem with these, I got a $4 check from them I wasn't even expecting as part of a lawsuit settlement), the wifi antenna, potentially the video output, etc.

Really, it comes down to cost versus convenience. When the Xbox One X was released, people were reminded that there are two lobbies of unsatisfied people: 1) people who thought that 1 TB of storage space wasn't sufficient, even if you can use USB storage and 2) people who thought that any mechanical drive was squandering the hardware, even though the XB1X's read/write speeds are the best among consoles by far thanks to a robust controller on the SOC. Both these lobbies have a valid complaint and, unless you're that rare "money is no object" consumer, they are mutually exclusive and directly adversarial. Keeping the console at the same price point would've required a lower-speed 500 GB SSD at the time--a 2 TB SSD would've almost doubled the price (at least until the major price drop the year later).

I have a mid-range 1 TB SSD plugged into mine--it's less necessary now that I can download even a large (+50GB) game in less than an hour. Network speeds on PSN for the PS5 will presumably be better, but so will game sizes on average. Like all hardware, it's about compromises (and it's been argued that multiple SKUs for storage size are in bad faith when the manufacturer could just offer you the ability to swap out the drive, like the PS4 can).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Network speeds on PSN for the PS5 will presumably be better, but so will gets on average.

Woah now let's not go overboard.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    As regards the storage space on the Xbox One X - I did find it slightly odd that MS offered a 2TB SKU for the S, but not the X. Even as a "limited edition" version or something, like the 1TB editions of the original Xbox One.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Network speeds on PSN for the PS5 will presumably be better, but so will gets on average.

I haven't played around with it yet, but they just dropped a PSN update that increased the maximum party size for voice chat from 8 to 16. Maybe it's long overdue, maybe it's a sign they're improving infrastructure already (yes, I get that these things are still subject to chokepoints at the weakest link).

Of course, my group rarely uses more than 6 spots, and there aren't a ton of console games set up to have that many in a single party, but perhaps a sign that they intend to increase those caps in the future as well?

Speaking of which, dear Sony, please make Push To Talk an option or outright default with its own conveniently located button. So many headsets and setups just leave hot mics everywhere. I used to raid with 40+ people in a ventrillo channel with greater ease than a half dozen people in a party at times with all the ambient noise and whatnot. >.<

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options

Chrome logic: gamesizes autocorrected to "gets". I should be angry, but I'm not. :lol:

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    How many people are actually maxing our their PS4's connection?

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    If they're going to be revisiting controller tech, my #1 wish is that they would put out a 1st party model with rear paddle options a la the Xbox Elite. With such aftermarket interest in Scuff, Cinch, Sharq, etc and their main competitor putting out their own, it's just silly that Sony keeps ignoring that demand.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    If they want anyone other than first-party devs to actually use the fancy stuff they stick in the controllers, they need to share it with Microsoft and Nintendo.
    I can count the number of PS4 games I have that use the touchpad as anything other than a big Select button on one hand. And the ones that do use it haven't used it for anything important.
    Nintendo have had the same thing with their Joycon HD rumble. No-one but them is using it.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Argh!!!

HD Rumble IS Nintendo's stupid branding for Haptic Feedback! It's the exact same actuator tech in place of traditional rumble spinning magnets!

It was in the Steam Controller before that! It's not something new and mysterious!

This is Sony finally starting to converge with others!

• Options
    "High Definition Rumble" is a dumb thing to call it, even by the standards of the Video Game Industry.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Argh!!!

HD Rumble IS Nintendo's stupid branding for Haptic Feedback! It's the exact same actuator tech in place of traditional rumble spinning magnets!

It was in the Steam Controller before that! It's not something new and mysterious!

This is Sony finally starting to converge with others!

I don't know why you keep saying this, but this is NOT the same as those things. You cannot get different resistances in the joycon sticks based on the type of thing you're moving through, for instance.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    If they're taking pains to call it something different and it works in a slightly different way, that'll be enough to be a barrier to devs using it.
    The one thing they'll be able to depend on across all platforms is 'rumble', so they'll stick with that. Anything else it can do will get to stay un-done.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm just curious what we'll get out of the thing besides "it makes games have shorter loading times and look 7% prettier."

Which is why we're getting the haptic feedback thing that will almost certainly be ignored. I mean, it's really hard to think of what modern consoles are missing at this point in this era of patching in new functionality. Which is likely why the generational lengths are getting longer.

My fear is that this will have stupid shit slathered on top of it that manages to make it less desirable a la the Xbox One announcement.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'm just curious what we'll get out of the thing besides "it makes games have shorter loading times and look 7% prettier."

Which is why we're getting the haptic feedback thing that will almost certainly be ignored. I mean, it's really hard to think of what modern consoles are missing at this point in this era of patching in new functionality. Which is likely why the generational lengths are getting longer.

My fear is that this will have stupid shit slathered on top of it that manages to make it less desirable a la the Xbox One announcement.

I'll be interested to see if the load times holds for developers aside from first-party titles. One of the weirder things about this generation is that, as games get larger, it feels like load times are becoming more and more of an issue.

I use an external SSD now, and it helps, but it does not make them go away.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I was incredibly disappointed the Pro didn’t have a 4k drive. Not sure if I’ll trade my Pro in though, I have all those old Playstations in working order.

Yeah, but think of the $14 bucks Sony saved! That's like three hamburgers! Per console!

Besides, physical film media is dead. If you can't trust the members of the Bluray Consortium to tell you that, who can you trust?

• Options
    As they demand higher resolutions and bigger textures, it's natural that the games are going to get bigger and loading's going to be a problem. Processors have just gotten faster at a higher speed than data transfer.

The other side of it is that devs can't reliably do their little tricks to make loading faster if they don't know what spec they'll be dealing with. They can make assumptions, but they have to deal with everything on the side of caution that maybe this user is playing the game from a crappy usb HDD that takes forever to work.

Compared to some of the technical tricks devs have pulled off when they knew exactly what hardware they were working with, it's noticeable (there's a making of Crash Bandicoot article somewhere that covers some of the things Naughty Dog did to improve/hide loading times, including going way past the recommended number of data seeks for the disc drive. When Sony found out, they just agreed not to mention it).
    Some examples on the 360 are Halo 3 loading slower when you install it to the HDD, and GTA5 trying to stream data from the HDD and the disc at the same time.

Just the knowledge that the PS5 is guaranteed to have an SSD to work with will make a significant difference.

• Options
    We have longer load times, in no small part, because developers thought players wanted better performance in-game, and moved as much asset loading onto the frontend as possible.*

We have larger installations, in no small part, because developers thought players wanted shorter load times, and avoided compressing game assets as much as possible.

All this while games were growing in real-estate demands after installations became an industry standard, even for Nintendo (gradually). And these weren't incorrect assumptions on the part of developers (and their requests to the platform hardware itself). But something had to give somewhere.

*Or creatively masking load screens behind forced transitions like in 2013 Tomb Raider--which frequently met even longer load screen on startup.

This discussion has been closed.