Options

PlayStation 5 officially announced for Holiday 2020 release!

13»

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Synthesis wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I was incredibly disappointed the Pro didn’t have a 4k drive. Not sure if I’ll trade my Pro in though, I have all those old Playstations in working order.

Yeah, but think of the $14 bucks Sony saved! That's like three hamburgers! Per console!

Besides, physical film media is dead. If you can't trust the members of the Bluray Consortium to tell you that, who can you trust?

Someone should tell that to the glorious Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K steelbook that is winging its way towards me as we speak. :)

The 4K drive in the PS5 makes sense from a purely practical 100GB disc size for games, but also a tacit acknowledgement that rumours of physical film media's demise continue to be exaggerated.

Jazz on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Jazz wrote: »
    I was incredibly disappointed the Pro didn’t have a 4k drive. Not sure if I’ll trade my Pro in though, I have all those old Playstations in working order.

Yeah, but think of the $14 bucks Sony saved! That's like three hamburgers! Per console!

Besides, physical film media is dead. If you can't trust the members of the Bluray Consortium to tell you that, who can you trust?

Tell that to the glorious Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K steelbook that is winging its way towards me as we speak.

The 4K drive in the PS5 makes sense from a purely practical 100GB disc size for games, but also a tacit acknowledgement that rumours of physical film media's demise continue to be exaggerated.

First, let me know how that looks. The regular release is a very tempting for a UHD purchase (I just got Alita as a belated birthday gift, was not displeased).

Second, I've speculated about that back in the Xbox thread, though it's just as relevant--or maybe even more so--for the PS5 exclusively: Sony hasn't discussed the matter of "forwards" compatibility, unlike Microsoft (who aren't committed either), just backwards compatibility. Even if they were, it's not as though you can't put a UHD game inside a first generation Xbox One (the only one with a "vanilla" bluray drive, like all model PS4s) and not have the drive detect what it is--it just can't read all the data off of it. Which means it can still function as a license.

Sony presumably wouldn't even have to mess with that. Physical releases of games that are only compatible with PS5, and not PS4, should obviously use UHD blu ray (or more specifically, a console derivative of it) if the PS5 has a UHD drive. The "physical game releases suck boo" crowd can have their digital releases, that isn't going anywhere, but the actual cost difference of the disc manufacturing compared to a normal PS4 bluray is basically nonexistent. It would be a boon to console owners who have slow internet, or data caps, or just are impatient with PSN's network speeds, to be able to partially install a game off a disc, at least. And if you've only used a fifth or tenth of the disc's available space, so what? It's not like it costs more if you were going to have a physical release anyway.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Looks like @Drez missed @Roe 's thread from April. We should join houses. @Sterica wanna help?

Here's the original thread.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Looks like @Drez missed @Roe 's thread from April. We should join houses. @Sterica wanna help?

Here's the original thread.

Yeah, I literally got these two thread confused while posting. That'd be nice.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Tell that to the glorious Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K steelbook that is winging its way towards me as we speak.

First, let me know how that looks. The regular release is a very tempting for a UHD purchase (I just got Alita as a belated birthday gift, was not displeased).

Apologies for the tone of my quoted post, you beat my ninja edit.

I won't actually be able to answer that (yet), as I don't actually have a 4K TV (yet). Hence this is actually my first 4K purchase. It was partially for the steelbook, but also future-proofing, for one of my favourite movies in years. That said, apparently the movie was only finished at a 2K intermediate? Strange in this day and age. So it might not reach the heights of some other 4K releases, but as I understand it, it is still a step up from the standard Blu.

Alita, too, is good stuff. :+1:

In response to the rest of your post, I'm curious to see if either Sony or MS do anything with forward compatibility; I'd think the only reason they wouldn't would be for fear of it cannibalizing the sales of the new machines. Repurposing the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X as the 1080p machines as the new ones take the 4K sector could be a good move that could get them some goodwill.

This discussion has been closed.