As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Winning The Argument Looks A Lot Like Losing

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    So is the play that Boris has convinced the EU that Parliament will cave and accept this deal if they refuse an extension and make it this deal or no deal?

That's how I expect Boris to cast it as.

More likely it's a more nuanced "This deal and the May deal are the ONLY deals we will EVER agree to if you want out of the customs union and end freedom of movement, so there is no reason to keep extending unless something drastic happens."

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Perdurabo wrote: »
    Farage demanded a delay rather than Brexit sure is a thing I didn't expect to read today. And citing the Benn bill!

I wonder if there's the slightest chance he's been meeting with financial advisors who have told him that as an english speaking dickhead, he needs at least one english speaking capitalist democracy to be functional so he can continue his dickheadery and wealth without being hung as a foreign agitator.

Best choice is, as people have mentioned, vote down the deal and immediately revoke article 50. Then have a vote between this deal and remain.

If that actually happens, the headdesking that will occur in the EU will be detected by seismographs in China.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    barnier has not and cannot rule out an extension - it is not in his gift and it is not the implication of what he has said

You mean Juncker?

look these unelected eurocrats are all the same, brexit means brexit, etc

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Good save

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Farage demanded a delay rather than Brexit sure is a thing I didn't expect to read today. And citing the Benn bill!

I wonder if there's the slightest chance he's been meeting with financial advisors who have told him that as an english speaking dickhead, he needs at least one english speaking capitalist democracy to be functional so he can continue his dickheadery and wealth without being hung as a foreign agitator.

Best choice is, as people have mentioned, vote down the deal and immediately revoke article 50. Then have a vote between this deal and remain.

If that actually happens, the headdesking that will occur in the EU will be detected by seismographs in China.

It's the only sane course of action, so it will never happen.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Farage could at least pretend that he isn't jelaous that Johnson is the one delivering Brexit and not him, but that would requiere the capability to feel shame.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    any resolution to the brexit issue makes farage pointless

he knows this

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    So at this point it looks like y'all are getting:
    - deal passes parliament
    - Johnson calls election and wins majority

Like shooting yourself in the face with two guns, just to be sure.

Is there any reason to expect the Majority opposition will grant him an election right now?

They technically could come up with a convenient excuse for the next 5 years if they wanted, and what’s he going to do? No confidence himself right after his giant win?

“The conservative party has no confidence in the conservative prime minister. We were honestly expecting him to continue his giant string of fuckups, yet somehow he managed to get something right against all odds. We can’t countenance competence in government so we are proposing a new election to that Johnson can obtain a majority and start fucking up again.”

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    - deal passes parliament

Is there any reason to expect the Majority opposition will grant him an election right now?

They technically could come up with a convenient excuse for the next 5 years if they wanted, and what’s he going to do? No confidence himself right after his giant win?

“The conservative party has no confidence in the conservative prime minister. We were honestly expecting him to continue his giant string of fuckups, yet somehow he managed to get something right against all odds. We can’t countenance competence in government so we are proposing a new election to that Johnson can obtain a majority and start fucking up again.”

The opposition refusing to pass any of the government's proposals but also refusing to hold an election would, I would think, be incredibly toxic with voters.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    interestingly the bruges group have come out very much against it

this is broadly good news. let us hope various brexit ultras split as many erg as possible

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    - deal passes parliament

This is all tactics given the Fixed Term Parliament Act. People will attempt to influence public opinion but no one would really believe a self vonc was a grave humiliation. It is like the Queen's Speech. He has to pretend he is the Prime Minister no matter what happens (loses vote on Queen's Speech, loses this vote, etc.) and hope the pretense eventually provokes the opposition to take down the government. I'm just not sure if there are actual milestones ahead where maintaining the pretense will force the oppositions hand. What happens with the budget? Do we hit a point where the government runs out of money and stops sending out cheques?

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    It might be worth listening to a bit of Farage's call in show. Should be hilarious.

Christ does he still have a show on LBC?
    It's been years since I've had the radio on, for some reason I just thought he'd given that up

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »
    It might be worth listening to a bit of Farage's call in show. Should be hilarious.

It's been years since I've had the radio on, for some reason I just thought he'd given that up

Well, what else is Farage gonna do with his time? His job? Of course not.

• Options
    jaziek wrote: »

Currently live.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    So, been reading about how this deal is bad because "it legally splits NI from the rest of the UK and that's unnaceptable".

Excuse my English, but: So? Can't keep a marriage together if the spouses have fundamental differences either. This is a deal that gives both parties involved what they consider important. If NI wants to leave, then let them. Yeah Scotland gets screwed until they put together an Independance referendum, but that's the breaks. I mean, I get why Sturgeon hates it, but she shouldn't have much difficulty organizing said referendum afterwards.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    With all the noise Farage is making is he going to run candidates to split the Tory vote? I might die laughing if that's what tips it to Labour assuming there is a GE soon.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Without Brexit as a hot issue. I don't see the Brexit party getting many votes (like how UKIP lost popularity after the referendum).

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Johnson and the tories running around celebrating their "impossible deal" while getting functionally the same deal as may but with less imposed red lines is a very 2019 frustration.

having to constantly battle against feelings instead of facts

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    So, been reading about how this deal is bad because "it legally splits NI from the rest of the UK and that's unnaceptable".

Excuse my English, but: So? Can't keep a marriage together if the spouses have fundamental differences either. This is a deal that gives both parties involved what they consider important. If NI wants to leave, then let them. Yeah Scotland gets screwed until they put together an Independance referendum, but that's the breaks. I mean, I get why Sturgeon hates it, but she shouldn't have much difficulty organizing said referendum afterwards.

Well, quite a lot of NI doesn’t want to leave the EU at all.
    Quite a lot of NI also has very strong ideological opinions about being in the Union, and not being distinct from that Union. The sort of opinions they backed up with paramilitary gunfire. See also: The DUP.

So some parties here are getting what they consider important - mostly Johnson and some of the ERG. The people being alienated, however, grow ever more numerous, and many have a vote in the Commons.
    Given it’s going to be tight, why should anyone who isn’t Johnson or the ERG vote for this demonstrably crappy deal?

• Options
    DUP against - does one begin to feel the nietzschean sense we have seen this all before somehow

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Ladies and gentlemen,
    If I may offer for your viewing pleasure:

Nigel Farage
    So an unelected, retiring bureaucrat says: No extension, take this new treaty or just leave.

He is overriding the Benn Act. The EU shows itself to be a thuggocracy - power without accountability.

Appalling people.
    Nigel Farage is a MEP for the UK in the European Parliament and head of the Brexit party. He is also a silly goose.

This was in response to Jean Claude Junckers saying that he didn't see a reason for an extension, because an agreement has been found.

So...

1) Junckers is not in a position to make this decision: the EU27 can grant extensions, not Junckers.
    2) The Benn act is a UK rule for the UK parliament, forcing the UK goverment to ask for an extension,
    3) Rules made by the UK are not EU binding, also, this rule didn't attempt to do so anyway, it just forces Boris to at least ask for an extension.
    4) YOU WANTED OUT, NIGEL, IT'S YOUR WHOLE f-ng DEAL TO LEAVE,
    5) The accountability in the EU comes through the EU parliament, OF WICH YOU ARE A PART OF, YOU ARE THE ONE SUPPOSED TO PUT CHECKS ON THESE THINGS, YOU PROVIDE ACCOUNTABILITY. MAYBE YOU SHOULD START DOING YOUR JOB
    6) I guess Nigel is a remainer now.
    7) edit: Junckers also didn't threaten anything, he just didn't see a reason to extend if an agreement has been reached, because you know, an agreement has been reached.

So... Tada!

The Aristocrats!

Dibbit on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I will grant Farage a certain level of consistency, in that he will carp witlessly about anything at all if it's said by an EU representative.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Wasn't Nigel one of the ones screaming about how we couldn't possibly ask for an extension as it a was betrayal of the 50 percent of the country that completely and one hundred percent agreed with him? Or was that someone else? I can't keep track of it.

If it was and he's just against it because the EU says it, it feels like they could have duck season rabbit seasoned him ages ago.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I think the thing that terrifies me most, being not from the UK, is that one vote to leave was enough. Even though in the lead up to the referendum they went on and on about how they would propose it next year and the year after that if it didn’t pass.

Defeat the mad fascists as many times as you like, but if they win even once they will destroy you and everything you love and tell you it’s your own fault.

• Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Wasn't Nigel one of the ones screaming about how we couldn't possibly ask for an extension as it a was betrayal of the 50 percent of the country that completely and one hundred percent agreed with him? Or was that someone else? I can't keep track of it.

If it was and he's just against it because the EU says it, it feels like they could have duck season rabbit seasoned him ages ago.

Yes... yes he was, he's the one always talking about remoaners and how the EU is an undemocratic pork barrel where the French and Germans come to wallow in the mud and enrich themselves on the backs of poor Englanders. He's head of the Brexit party, and claims "no deal is better then an extension" until, I guess, someone in the EU is like "meh, extension..." then he's like "HOW DARE THEY THROW US OUT!"

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    DUP against - does one begin to feel the nietzschean sense we have seen this all before somehow

Oh aye. Unlike the last three times though, this one looks squeaky close. Because politics. FT and BBC numbers have it failing by two or three votes.

I really want May to vote against it out of spite.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I think the thing that terrifies me most, being not from the UK, is that one vote to leave was enough. Even though in the lead up to the referendum they went on and on about how they would propose it next year and the year after that if it didn’t pass.

Defeat the mad fascists as many times as you like, but if they win even once they will destroy you and everything you love and tell you it’s your own fault.

"In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way." - Nigel Farage, 16 May 2016, when he thought Leave would lose

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    CroakerBC wrote: »

Oh aye. Unlike the last three times though, this one looks squeaky close. Because politics. FT and BBC numbers have it failing by two or three votes.

ERG numbers are being inflated rn imo. people are making too many assumptions

key point is that uncertainty in the positive direction is low - almost nobody is going to vote for the deal who we don't already know is - but uncertainty in the negative direction is much higher (assuming entire erg votes FOR eg)

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    CroakerBC wrote: »

ERG numbers are being inflated rn imo. people are making too many assumptions

My view is that this doesn't pass. Labour are going to put huge pressure on rebels, DUP is out. Nuff said. I just have no idea what happens after. My guess is EU approves extension but I'm honestly not certain. Keeping the ball in the air creates a better chance for remain but it prolongs uncertainty and I'm not sure the EU is all that excited about keeping a divided and uncooperative UK around. They have plans that would be easier to move toward without the UK being a thorn in their side. That said, I'd still short £.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    FFS.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Fucking Labour man. The whole point is to make Johnson go begging for an extension. If you let him get his deal through you're dead in the water.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    FFS.

This may be a testing of waters.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    Testing of waters, or dead in the water... either way, there's going to be a lot of water involved.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Whatever is presented on Saturday is going to be amendable, so there could be something cooking

No idea what, though, it's going to be procedural carnage

Edit: the SNP's amendment is literally "delete everything and replace it with extension and general election"

(Radio Clyde is a reputable Scottish Central belt radio station)

japan on
  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular

almost like...and bear with me here...Corbyn is pro Brexit

• Options
    jmcdonald wrote: »

almost like...and bear with me here...Corbyn is pro Brexit

Real fight starts now November 1st.

• Options
    if news programmes dont shape up and stop credulously repeating the cummings line that HE GOT THE DEAL WITHOUT THE BACKSTOP... THEY SAID HE COULDNT... BUT HE DID

the only reason this gets voted through is if cons get the sense from their hard brexit ultras that this is some kind of triumph. the narrative is all they care about so dont give it to them u maroons

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    But this one has a StopBack, totally different, gz Boris you total ledge

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
This discussion has been closed.