As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Winning The Argument Looks A Lot Like Losing

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    So even more emphatically “fuck NI”

I think that depends on your point of view. NI went for Remain IIRC so arguably they are getting the better deal here.

It does I would think make reunification an inevitability.

Yeah. It does seem like this is the best outcome for the citizens of NI.

Of course, that can change radically if the separatists end up ratcheting up the violence. I can see this becoming a flashpoint for real, violent tensions between the EU and UK as the UK further radicalizes.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

I think that depends on your point of view. NI went for Remain IIRC so arguably they are getting the better deal here.

Of course, that can change radically if the separatists end up ratcheting up the violence. I can see this becoming a flashpoint for real, violent tensions between the EU and UK as the UK further radicalizes.

I’d like to hope that the separatists (republicans, whatever) would have enough sense to recognize this as a huge victory and do nothing more than have a nice victory dinner at the restaurant of their choice. This is an actual legal separation between NI and the rest of the UK. It’s freaking huge.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I honestly would be pissed if I was Scotland right now.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

I’d like to hope that the separatists (republicans, whatever) would have enough sense to recognize this as a huge victory and do nothing more than have a nice victory dinner at the restaurant of their choice. This is an actual legal separation between NI and the rest of the UK. It’s freaking huge.

Yeah if this provokes violence from anyone it will be unionists.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

wait. I am missing something vital here it seems. could you explain this to me?

scherbchen on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Scotland voted Remain so will probably be annoyed that NI get to be more in while they are dragged fully out

• Options
    scherbchen wrote: »

Scotland wants to leave the UK (well, roughly half do) and definitely doesn’t want to leave the EU by a pretty big margin. Northern Ireland might be getting bits of both of those items.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Scotland voted Remain so will probably be annoyed that NI get to be more in while they are dragged fully out

Scotland voted remain and rejected independence based on not wanting to leave the EU.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    scherbchen wrote: »

Early in the process, when the arrangements for NI were originally proposed, there was an argument that if NI gets to escape the worst consequences of brexit, then Scotland should get to do so too

Which would mean a hard border between Scotland and England, but the Indy movement seems to have collectively decided they're ok with that in any case

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    ah, I see. cheers.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

Scotland voted remain and rejected independence based on not wanting to leave the EU.

Yes, that's what I said?

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Hadrian's Internal Border

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

I wonder how many would still be unionists if this went through; I doubt Westmienster essentially proving Sein Finn correct in arguably one of the most blatant ways possible would do wonders for people's conviction in the UK.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Foefaller wrote: »

I wonder how many would still be unionists if this went through; I doubt Westmienster essentially proving Sein Finn correct in arguably one of the most blatant ways possible would do wonders for people's conviction in the UK.

I suspect there are unionists and then there are Unionists. The former might adjust, but the latter are true believers.

A NI only customs union would be better than no deal, but it still increases the possibility for violence. Hopefully not enough that anything horrible happens. It’d probably help if NI had a functioning government.

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    My money is still on extension but the financial markets seem to be killing the shorts.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    My money is still on extension but the financial markets seem to be killing the shorts.

At this point I’d assume some insider trading is happening. Get a solid whip count and you’re making money. Could be a fake out though. Get the count, drive up the price and then short the fall you know is coming.

Interesting times.

• Options

At this point I’d assume some insider trading is happening. Get a solid whip count and you’re making money. Could be a fake out though. Get the count, drive up the price and then short the fall you know is coming.

Interesting times.

I actually think now is the perfect time to short but I'm not a speculator, nor could I be on my salary and obligations.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I thought it was well known that people like JRM stand to profit massively from a no-deal Brexit by betting/shorting against the UK.

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I thought it was well known that people like JRM stand to profit massively from a no-deal Brexit by betting/shorting against the UK.

Which means he stands to lose a fortune if current market sentiment is correct. So there's that at least.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    I'm convinced enough that this new deal talk is bullshit that I wish I had some money and a FOREX account.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

Unionism in NI has never been a political philosophy, it's not a belief in the UK itself, it's a thin veneer over the division between Catholics and Protestants that has existed forever. An acceptable public face for sectarianism.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

Which means he stands to lose a fortune if current market sentiment is correct. So there's that at least.
    Some extension is required, just to pass the laws so there's no gap.

So assume the plan is temporary extension of a month or two to iron out the key details of this new agreement. Maybe pass a bill saying that Parliament agrees in principle to a Brexit Deal that has this solution to the NI border to show necessary movement to get the technical extension. Then tank it to get a GE with built in No Deal.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

Unionism in NI has never been a political philosophy, it's not a belief in the UK itself, it's a thin veneer over the division between Catholics and Protestants that has existed forever. An acceptable public face for sectarianism.

So basically just more violence if this looks like it will lead to strengthening support for republicanism. (that's the right word for the other side right?)

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    In the situation they detail, wouldn't literally every british business move to northern ireland for the massive trade advantage. Like, you should just dig up london whole cloth and slap it down next to Dublin.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    In the situation they detail, wouldn't literally every british business move to northern ireland for the massive trade advantage. Like, you should just dig up london whole cloth and slap it down next to Dublin.

well,

an hour or twos drive north. but sure.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Yeah. Belfast should get a nice boost.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    People were wondering what the tat of Trump was for Johnson's tit with regards to the teen who was killed in a road incident involving the alleged wife of a US diplomat. Well, they got to meet the big guy in person and Trump even forced Sacoolas to be in the same building. The parents didnt know she would be there and refused to meet with her. The BBC has a full article https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-50064595

I know there will be no justice served in courts, but the sheer fact they got the POTUS to fly them over and take time out of his schedule should count for something.

Also, unrelated to the politics of the whole situation, those parents are going through a lot. Being in the centre of an international diplomatic incident while your son has died is intense as fuck. To just fly over to the USA to shake hands with a head of state and be able to get in a word edgewise and even get him to acknowledge your situation? Jesus Christ on a pogo stick, that's more than I could ever imagine handling.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    People were wondering what the tat of Trump was for Johnson's tit with regards to the teen who was killed in a road incident involving the alleged wife of a US diplomat. Well, they got to meet the big guy in person and Trump even forced Sacoolas to be in the same building. The parents didnt know she would be there and refused to meet with her. The BBC has a full article https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-50064595

I know there will be no justice served in courts, but the sheer fact they got the POTUS to fly them over and take time out of his schedule should count for something.

Also, unrelated to the politics of the whole situation, those parents are going through a lot. Being in the centre of an international diplomatic incident while your son has died is intense as fuck. To just fly over to the USA to shake hands with a head of state and be able to get in a word edgewise and even get him to acknowledge your situation? Jesus Christ on a pogo stick, that's more than I could ever imagine handling.

That poor family

Haven’t they been through enough?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »

well,

I dunno, this is just a potential deal for goods, if I'm parseing correctly on not enough coffee.
    Services, like the financial services that are the bedrock of the City, are still utterly hosed, and would gain no benefit from moving.

• Options
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    jaziek wrote: »

well,

I dunno, this is just a potential deal for goods, if I'm parseing correctly on not enough coffee.
    Services, like the financial services that are the bedrock of the City, are still utterly hosed, and would gain no benefit from moving.

Plus financial companies have already done all the moving necessary to keep business going. Belfast ending up on the list of places to ride out Brexit isn't going to change anything at this point.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular

They don't just want an apology from Sacoolas, as Trump appears to think they do. They want and deserve justice. Sacoolas needs to return to the UK and answer for her crime(s).

The US kicks up a hissy-fit any time they want to extradite someone from the UK, even if they've never set foot on US soil before. It's all far too one-sided.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I doubt any other President would be sending Sacoolas back, either, but I don't think that any would have handled it like an episode of Surprise, Surprise.

Jesus, what an astonishingly stupid thing to do. One can only imagine he thought it'd be a nice photo op for him, grinning and holding both thumbs up while the parents of a recently killed man stared daggers at the woman who killed him. His peerless ability to do the least sensitive, most stupid thing is impressive.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular

They don't just want an apology from Sacoolas, as Trump appears to think they do. They want and deserve justice. Sacoolas needs to return to the UK and answer for her crime(s).

The US kicks up a hissy-fit any time they want to extradite someone from the UK, even if they've never set foot on US soil before. It's all far too one-sided.

Agreed, I am not sure what the point of flying them over was. I seems to be an attempt to smooth things over without having to actually do anything.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Kate McCann is political correspondent at Sky. Sky is Sky News.

Brexit is eternal!

Tweet text in spoiler:
    News agency Reuters reports that negotiators from the EU and Britain have hit a "stumbling block" in Brexit talks related to a future trade deal according to EU diplomats.

Brexit Sec confirms Boris Johnson will write letter to the EU on Saturday if no deal has been agreed. This is under the terms of the Benn Act and would mean extension until Jan 31 2020.

Burnage on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Britain have hit a "stumbling block" in Brexit talks

News agencies could save a lot of time by making a bot that just posts this every day forever.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    January 31st

So, three months, with Christmas in between

That's 64 working days

Compared to the 149 working days that we got from the last extension, when we also had a government with a working majority

What is even the point

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    'Working' majority is a bit much. Theoretical majority maybe, but they were having their own civil war at the time.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    January 31st

So, three months, with Christmas in between

That's 64 working days

Compared to the 149 working days that we got from the last extension, when we also had a government with a working majority

What is even the point

I think that's the point

The EU doesn't want to drag this out any longer than necessary.

I would be very surprised if they offered another extension after this one.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    So extension and then what

2nd Ref?

This discussion has been closed.