As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Winning The Argument Looks A Lot Like Losing

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Right wing scumlords are militant about wearing them, sure. Someone tweeted a picture today of someone with a swastika tattoo wearing one, which is hilaribad in its stupidity. But certainly not to the point that it stops me from wearing one or attending a memorial service.

The paranoid pinning of one on to everyone who appears on telly rather than risk the ire of some damn fool who thinks the sight of someone not wearing one signals the end of civilisation and DECENCY is stupid.

Politicians in the US must wear a flag lapel pin at all times or their patriotism gets called into question. First/last refuge of a scoundrel indeed.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    So I see that Ross "SNP Gain" Thompson 'stepped down' because his local association refused to sign his nomination papers.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/11/03/tory-mp-ross-thomson-stands-labour-mp-alleges-sexual-assault/

Massively strengthens Conservatives in the seat.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Right wing scumlords are militant about wearing them, sure. Someone tweeted a picture today of someone with a swastika tattoo wearing one, which is hilaribad in its stupidity. But certainly not to the point that it stops me from wearing one or attending a memorial service.

The paranoid pinning of one on to everyone who appears on telly rather than risk the ire of some damn fool who thinks the sight of someone not wearing one signals the end of civilisation and DECENCY is stupid.

Politicians in the US must wear a flag lapel pin at all times or their patriotism gets called into question. First/last refuge of a scoundrel indeed.

The flag lapel thing creeps me out and I keep waiting for it to show up over here. It makes me think of China and North Korea, basically places you don't want to emulate.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Liveblog, as per:
    Sinn Fein has announced it will not stand in three constituencies in Northern Ireland in a bid to prevent DUP MPs winning the seats. The party will stand aside in South Belfast, East Belfast and North Down. As the Press Association reports, Sinn Fein president Mary Lou McDonald urged supporters to instead back the SDLP, the Alliance party and independent unionist Lady Sylvia Hermon respectively in those three seats.

Announcing the move, McDonald said: "In many ways this is a once-in-a-generation election, the stakes are very high in this election. People have a fundamental choice to make - to vote for a positive, inclusive future or to turn their backs on that and to back candidates who have been the architects of Brexit and who have acted very, very deliberately against the democratic wishes of people here in the north and more fundamentally against the economic and social interests of citizens who live here.

You can call this a pact, you can call it what you wish - the reality is we are asking people to come out and vote for those pro-Remain candidates. We believe that is the right and progressive thing to do."

• Options
    Also, in "holy fucking shenanigans" news:

No 10 blocks Russia EU referendum report until after election
    A potentially explosive parliamentary report on the security threat posed by Russia to the UK has been effectively blocked from being published before the general election by Downing Street.

The 50-page document from the intelligence and security committee (ISC) examined allegations that Kremlin-sponsored activity distorted the result of the 2016 EU referendum – but has to be cleared by No 10 before it can be released.

Downing Street indicated late on Monday morning that it would not approve publication before parliament is dissolved on Tuesday evening, meaning that it cannot now appear before the election on 12 December.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

A potentially explosive parliamentary report on the security threat posed by Russia to the UK has been effectively blocked from being published before the general election by Downing Street.

The 50-page document from the intelligence and security committee (ISC) examined allegations that Kremlin-sponsored activity distorted the result of the 2016 EU referendum – but has to be cleared by No 10 before it can be released.

Downing Street indicated late on Monday morning that it would not approve publication before parliament is dissolved on Tuesday evening, meaning that it cannot now appear before the election on 12 December.

How are the UK's whistleblower laws?

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Tell you what. We can leave as soon as that "count down" gets to zero.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

How are the UK's whistleblower laws?

Excellent, I think we've almost eliminated them entirely.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »
    I hadn't thought before about poppies being a UK only thing, although I guess it's kinda obvious having considered it for a second.

It's very British Commonwealth in general afaik. It's everywhere here in Canada.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    *stares in James McClean*

but to be less glib, it's absolutely political since it's inherently a symbol of the military. There's no such thing as an apolitical war
    Try wearing a white poppy and you'll find out how apolitical it is.

see also "Support the Troops" ribbons, stickers etc over here.

• Options
    Casual wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    What an utter goose. It even made Dutch news. We are quite familiar with his character and that's not a meant as a compliment.

Yes, he is quite well known all around. Here's the picture Yle, the Finnish public broadcast news, used in their reporting:

mkje89c.jpg

Getting kind of a Deep Ones vibe from this photo

What is that lapel pin

The poppy? It's a war remembrance symbol in the UK and is actually apolitical.

If you wore a white poppy I would imagine the biggest thing that would happen to you is people would wonder why your poppy was white.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    What an utter goose. It even made Dutch news. We are quite familiar with his character and that's not a meant as a compliment.

Yes, he is quite well known all around. Here's the picture Yle, the Finnish public broadcast news, used in their reporting:

mkje89c.jpg

Getting kind of a Deep Ones vibe from this photo

What is that lapel pin

The poppy? It's a war remembrance symbol in the UK and is actually apolitical.

If you wore a white poppy I would imagine the biggest thing that would happen to you is people would wonder why your poppy was white.

Depends where you go, and when, really. Find yourself in a pub with some squaddies that are a few pints in and you might have a problem.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Regardless of what you're wearing, if you're around some squaddies with a few pints in them you're gonna have some trouble.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    @jaziek
    Poppies are actually a North American thing started by Lillian Bilsky Freiman (Canada) or Moina Michael (USA) sometime around 1920 as a way to fundraise for WW1 vets.

Both inspired by John McRae's In Flander's Fields... the more you know.

Just also want to add rampant poppy-ism is a thing here in Canada too... heaven forbid you not wear one if a public official.

• Options
    The Star (aka the Sheffield Star) reports from a huge pro-Brexit demonstration in Doncaster.

Nobody showed up.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    s7nqpmmedvna.jpeg

Babestation is a tv show/sex chat line.

Tav on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    s7nqpmmedvna.jpeg

I now understand the Blobstation joke on the big fat quiz of the 90s.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The Star (aka the Sheffield Star) reports from a huge pro-Brexit demonstration in Doncaster.

Nobody showed up.

I'd also point out that it also talks about the BBCs supposed 'anti-Brexit bias'.
    They really can't win.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Squaddies? Nah
    s7nqpmmedvna.jpeg

"Dear Babestation. I have been watching your channel for years. When are you actually going to show the classic heart-warming film Babe?!?"

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Haven't seen it mentioned here, but you lot have a new Speaker, Sir Lindsay Hoyle and he was Labour. Seems like a chill bloke compared to Bercow, which seems like something everyone was longing for.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-50293505

Aldo on
  • Options
    Grenfell Tower: Jacob Rees-Mogg criticised for 'insulting' comments
    Speaking on LBC's Nick Ferrari's show on Monday, Mr Rees-Mogg said: "The more one's read over the weekend about the report and about the chances of people surviving, if you just ignore what you're told and leave you are so much safer.

"And I think if either of us were in a fire, whatever the fire brigade said, we would leave the burning building. It just seems the common sense thing to do.

"And it is such a tragedy that that didn't happen."

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn called on Mr Rees-Mogg to "apologise for these crass and insensitive comments immediately".

In a statement, survivors' group Grenfell United said: "The Leader of the House of Commons suggesting that the 72 people who lost their lives at Grenfell lacked common sense is beyond disrespectful.

Mr Rees-Mogg said on Tuesday: "What I meant to say is that I would have also listened to the fire brigade's advice to stay and wait at the time."
    So what he meant to say was the exact opposite of what he actually said.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    He's such a fucking asshole

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    It's like the one that was apologising last week for saying the people on benefits street should be put down. These Tories never realise that it's not so much what they said that upsets people, it's the underlying attitude of contempt for their fellow man that shows them as being completely unsuited for being public representatives.

• Options
    Haven't seen it mentioned here, but you lot have a new Speaker, Sir Lindsay Hoyle and he was Labour. Seems like a chill bloke compared to Bercow, which seems like something everyone was longing for.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-50293505

Thank Christ the Tories didn't manage to put any of their stooges in the post. They were openly talking about wanting a Tory in the role, so much for the neutrality of the speaker.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    I am reminded of the fire on the ship Scandinavian Star, one which killed over 150 people. More specifically I am reminded of a married couple sleeping bellow decks when the alarm sounded. The Husband was right handed and hugged to right corridor wall, the wife was left handed and hugged the left corridor wall. The smoke being so thick that you could only navigate by touching the wall and being completely unable to see the other corridor wall. It was a distance of less then a 100 meters, but the right hand wall lead to a stair way that exited onto deck. The left hand wall? Led a further 50 meters into the ship before becoming a dead end.

The Husband lived. The Wife died. smoke Inhalation.

Now both would have died if they had stayed put, but it goes to show that even "common sense" could get people killed. Its not as easy as that fucking asshole shitweasel makes it out to be.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    To be fair, the underlying message of 'it's common sense to try to run away from a fire' is okay. It's when it goes into 'it's common sense to not do what the professional firefighters say you should do in a fire'. Common sense doesn't have all the information. It's common sense to want to pour water on a fire. Oh wait, it's a chip pan?

• Options
    edited November 2019

Christopher Hope is a political correspondent for the Telegraph

is this the worst £50 ever spent?

Tav on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    It's gotta be close to the worst yeah

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    It all depends on what he's planning to do with it.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    It all depends on what he's planning to do with it.

It could stand for MEP and accomplish just as much as the genuine article has

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
  • Options
    It's like the one that was apologising last week for saying the people on benefits street should be put down. These Tories never realise that it's not so much what they said that upsets people, it's the underlying attitude of contempt for their fellow man that shows them as being completely unsuited for being public representatives.

A lot of right-wing behaviour begins to make a lot more sense imo once you realise they think everyone feels as much contempt for their fellow human beings as they do. "Sorry, I said that horrible and racist thing impolitely, let me rephrase it for you hypocrites who refuse to just admit you think the same thing."

• Options
    You know after all this time I'm still no closer to understanding what the tangible benefit of the common brexit supporting person on the street is to all of this. I've really tried too! I've gone on to so many pro brexit blogs and message boards to just read it all and see what it is they want. All I've gleaned is they want brexit. No more, no less.

Why they want it? Still a mystery. They don't even discuss it among themselves.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

A lot of right-wing behaviour begins to make a lot more sense imo once you realise they think everyone feels as much contempt for their fellow human beings as they do. "Sorry, I said that horrible and racist thing impolitely, let me rephrase it for you hypocrites who refuse to just admit you think the same thing."

It's also like the typical non-apology "I'm sorry if you were offended by that". Shifting blame onto the listener.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's become a thing to be valued in and of itself, and needs no justification or reason beyond "we voted for it". If you could prove there was not a single tangible benefit to be had from it with a blackboard and a piece of chalk they'd say yes very good but we voted for it so give it to us.

• Options
    Why they want it?

the will of the people

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    You know after all this time I'm still no closer to understanding what the tangible benefit of the common brexit supporting person on the street is to all of this. I've really tried too! I've gone on to so many pro brexit blogs and message boards to just read it all and see what it is they want. All I've gleaned is they want brexit. No more, no less.

Freedom. Being a part of the EU = not being free. Being free = being great, meaningful, powerful.

Obviously that doesn't make much more sense, but it's not about real, tangible things, but about identity and nationality and quasi-mythical, masturbatory bullshit.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    It's racism.
    Some of them will admit it. Some won't.
    It's always racism.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options

The only reasons I ever see any more are a) they want it because they want it, or b) the country voted to leave so we must leave.

Nobody even tries to sell it being beneficial in any way any more.

Oh, speaking of which: Government pushes ahead with plans for 'festival of Brexit'
    Boris Johnson’s government is pressing ahead with a controversial post-Brexit festival of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, inherited from Theresa May, but which the new prime minister had been urged to shelve.

Dean Creamer, a delivery director for the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, has been put in charge of planning for the £120m project – dubbed the “festival of Brexit” by critics – which is due to take place in 2022, the Guardian has learned.

This discussion has been closed.