As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Winning The Argument Looks A Lot Like Losing

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    I'll believe that one when I see it, just like Bojo's "full fibre" by 2025 promise

of course if in 5 years time I've got something that isn't 3mbs downhill with a tailwind and a prayer behind it then I'll eat a very small edible hat but for now it's rough chuckles from me.

Well they plan to spend 20 billion pounds instead of 5 and nationalize part of BT to achieve it, so it's at least more realistic than what Johnson promised.

I don't know enough about the situation to say whether it is actually realistic though. I didn't know that getting full FTTP coverage was such a major political issue to be honest.

As an aside, the cracking of BT’s monopoly may be the only instance of privatisation I agree with. Coincidentally the only one where the competing-providers-same-infra promise seemed to lead to cheaper, more diverse and competitive products, rather than cartels.

Not sold on partial renationalisation. Have to investigate. Probably popular to the rest of the house though, so may be a vote winner rurally, where broadband is, er, aspirational.

• themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Why am I getting the feeling that Boris will win with a minority but enough Labour leavers to replicate the current situation.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    It's been a thing in Scotland for a while, I don't know about nationally

https://www.gov.scot/publications/reaching-100-superfast-broadband/

Although my guess would be that Scotland probably has a larger area that the private providers aren't willing to fund

I get the need for superfast broadband coverage (which is 95% in the UK as a whole), and the need for ultrafast coverage in which the UK is lagging behind, but full FTTP seems like just a nice thing to have and not a major demand of people.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    I'll believe that one when I see it, just like Bojo's "full fibre" by 2025 promise

of course if in 5 years time I've got something that isn't 3mbs downhill with a tailwind and a prayer behind it then I'll eat a very small edible hat but for now it's rough chuckles from me.

Well they plan to spend 20 billion pounds instead of 5 and nationalize part of BT to achieve it, so it's at least more realistic than what Johnson promised.

I don't know enough about the situation to say whether it is actually realistic though. I didn't know that getting full FTTP coverage was such a major political issue to be honest.

When he said full fibre he meant a bran muffin in every home.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Full fibre is the only tech that really scales well enough to actually serve internet needs into the future, rather than just the next five years.

Unless someone comes up with fairy dust internet, everyone will need full fibre eventually.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Labour has deselected its candidate in my constituency (NW Cambs), and only at the very last moment put up another candidate (as early as Thursday morning they were declining to say if they were doing so).

The Daily Mail has apparently claimed that now ex-candidate Ed Murphy deleted a tweet from 2014 where he alleged that the Israeli armed forces were backed by the Conservatives on the Peterborough city council. He is said to have posted: "Israel a terrorist state? And Israeli military (secretly backed by the Cons on Pboro Council) are international pirates.", accompanied by a picture of the Israeli flag turned into a symbol of piracy. Neither Murphy nor the Labour party has commented on this.

This means that we were facing the prospect of being left left with two confirmed candidates for the seat: Conservative incumbent Shailesh Vara (who has a majority of over 18,000) and the Green party's Nicola Day. But now apparently we do have Labour and Lib Dem candidates too - this is one of the seats the Brexit party stood down from.

I look forward ( :rotate: ) to the left-leaning and Remain votes getting split asunder and Vara holding on to one of the safest seats in the entire country. Democracy!

Jazz on
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Peterborough city council really doesn't come up enough in the Conspiracy Theories thread. Those guys know how to keep things classic, but under the radar.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    My twitter amusement for today is watching conservatives tie themselves in knots trying to explain why free fibre is obviously ridiculous whereas universal, free delivery of other essential infrastructure isn't

Bonus points for those Tories that don't realise that water is a nationalised utility in Scotland, with no metering applied

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I liked the pushback response I heard on the radio; that this is going to cost billions in taxes. Yes, they know. That's why they announced billions in taxes along with the plan.
    It's just turning into that Simpsons gag:
    "It's for your future!"
    "Yeah, she makes a good point, that's very important"
    "It'll cost ya."
    "Oh yeah, I hate taxes"

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Jennifer Arcuri: ‘I’ve kept Johnson’s secrets – now he’s cast me aside like a one-night stand’
    The businesswoman tells ITV show that she is heartbroken, humiliated – and that the PM hangs up the phone on her

The US businesswoman Jennifer Arcuri has accused Boris Johnson of brutally casting her aside “like some one-night stand” and leaving her “heartbroken” since he became prime minister and the controversy over their four-year relationship became public.

In an outspoken interview with ITV’s Exposure, to be broadcast on Sunday, the tech entrepreneur also tells the journalist John Ware that Boris Johnson has refused to take her phone calls at Downing Street and has cut her off before she could initiate a conversation.

Sounds awfully familiar, doesn't it...

"Oh, he'll never throw me under the bus like he did all those other people." ... "WTF, he threw me under the bus!"

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    and the leopards go OM NOM NOM

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Jennifer Arcuri: ‘I’ve kept Johnson’s secrets – now he’s cast me aside like a one-night stand’
    The businesswoman tells ITV show that she is heartbroken, humiliated – and that the PM hangs up the phone on her

The US businesswoman Jennifer Arcuri has accused Boris Johnson of brutally casting her aside “like some one-night stand” and leaving her “heartbroken” since he became prime minister and the controversy over their four-year relationship became public.

In an outspoken interview with ITV’s Exposure, to be broadcast on Sunday, the tech entrepreneur also tells the journalist John Ware that Boris Johnson has refused to take her phone calls at Downing Street and has cut her off before she could initiate a conversation.

"Oh, he'll never throw me under the bus like he did all those other people." ... "WTF, he threw me under the bus!"

Those buses he makes out of old wine boxes aren't just a weird thing he goes for a hobby, they're trophy cabinets.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    and the leopards go OM NOM NOM

The wheels of the bus go "thump thump thump"

Johnson needn't worry anyway, Prince Andrew is hoovering up all the headlines.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

"Dysoning", surely?

"Dysoning", surely?

I was going to just say "sucking" but thought better of that.

• GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular

How do people like Johnson and Trump keep getting people to believe that Johnson and Trump won't throw them under the bus? Eventually you have to see the stream of broken mangled lives they have left in their wake and go "Yeah, that could just as easily be me."

So why don't people do this?

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

How do people like Johnson and Trump keep getting people to believe that Johnson and Trump won't throw them under the bus? Eventually you have to see the stream of broken mangled lives they have left in their wake and go "Yeah, that could just as easily be me."

I've heard and read many people say that if Trump needs/"likes" you, he practically can't stop talking about how awesome you are. Since humans default into thinking that the person they are dealing with isn't a narcissist/sociopath, it's easy to see how someone might hear that endless gushing of praise (especially if they aren't used to praise in general) and think "Na, he likes me, he would never..."

With Johnson, it's more like he's got this air of goofy uncle about him; like you expect him to trip and fall and when he gets up have a big grin and a self-deprecating joke about how clumsy he is. Which is the tonal opposite of someone willing to stab you in the back for a power play.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

Boris's new 'Get Brexit Done' bus is actually made in Turkey. Fuelled entirely by renewables. Renewable lies that is.

Also, for some levity:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kgp0ctgWsY
    I really wish they'd have punched Farage just a bit harder than that...

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    another bus with lies on it.
    Seeing as it isn't unlawful for politicians to outright deceive the public, I'm hoping someone will vandalise it.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Ah, I see your Ruth Davidson is back at the trough

The idea of a sitting politician being paid to turn up on election night is jaw dropping.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

If they were smart/self aware/not so narcissistic enough to realize this, they wouldn't be working for these monsters in the first place. It's a self-selection cycle of people too stupid and/or full of themselves to think that it could happen to them, just like becoming wife #x of a serial divorcee.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Ah, I see your Ruth Davidson is back at the trough

The idea of a sitting politician being paid to turn up on election night is jaw dropping.
    Meanwhile, 1 year and 3 months ago...
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I think it's kind of alarming how porous the line between journalists and politicians seems to be getting. It seems like a massive conflict of interests for people to be freely transitioning between the two career paths.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Got a Labour leaflet through the door

16mbno1mk9t9.jpg

... Great job guys. Well done.

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    9uzzf7svmspf.jpg

"Good moaning, I am the BBC's assostant pooliticool oditar, and I was jist pissing by."

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!

16mbno1mk9t9.jpg

All they had to do was condemn what the tories were doing and not fuck up and yet they invariably end up shoving crayons up their noses.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

16mbno1mk9t9.jpg

I don't get it..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    9uzzf7svmspf.jpg

"Good moaning, I am the BBC's assostant pooliticool oditar, and I was jist pissing by."

Was Catoline drunk when she said this?

• mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular

16mbno1mk9t9.jpg

I don't get it..

It's a grammar tense fuck up.

It should read "It is time to elect..." not, "It is time to elected..."

It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    mori1972 wrote: »

16mbno1mk9t9.jpg

I don't get it..

Could also be "It is time we elected..."

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    mori1972 wrote: »

16mbno1mk9t9.jpg

I don't get it..

Could also be "It is time we elected..."

I'm guessing it was originally this and they decided to change it, but then failed at proofreading. And then distributed their failure to thousands of homes.

evilthecat wrote: »

16mbno1mk9t9.jpg

All they had to do was condemn what the tories were doing and not fuck up and yet they invariably end up shoving crayons up their noses.

How in the name of all that is unholy did literally no-one spot this before it went off to the printers?

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    "Wow! Look at that ad!"
    "All right, this place must be hot. They don't need a big ad, or even correct spelling."

evilthecat wrote: »

16mbno1mk9t9.jpg

How in the name of all that is unholy did literally no-one spot this before it went off to the printers?

"It's written on the computer and none of the words are underlined in red, we're good."

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Patrick English is an associate lecturer at the University of Essex, presenting a model suggesting that the Conservatives are almost certain to win between 326-388 seats.

Joy.

Just for comparison, what were the predictions for Theresa's excellently judged election?

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Just for comparison, what were the predictions for Theresa's excellently judged election?

Most models drastically overestimated the Conservative's final numbers, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll be making the same error this time around.

Still, I'd bet on an overestimate, just not a massive one.
    I think they'll get a majority, but a relatively narrow one. Hopefully narrow enough that the small quantity of sane Tories will still be needed to pass stuff.

klemming wrote: »
    Still, I'd bet on an overestimate, just not a massive one.
    I think they'll get a majority, but a relatively narrow one. Hopefully narrow enough that the small quantity of sane Tories will still be needed to pass stuff.

At which point, Boris kicks them out of the party for being traitors.
    And then he doesn't have a majority to get his nonsense through.
    And then he wants another general election.
    And there still won't be a confirmatory referendum because that's undemocratic, or at least somehow sufficiently differently undemocratic.

I'd laugh. Unless the Americans somehow cock up the fixing of their orange skinned blunder, we'd have a monopoly on being the clowns on the world's stage!

This discussion has been closed.