As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Winning The Argument Looks A Lot Like Losing

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    For the record, you are not required to carry a driving licence or proof of insurance when driving a car in the UK.

I'm not sure how common it is for paper certificates of insurance to even be issued anymore. You used to need it for taxing the car, but that's now an electronic process (that also doesn't result in the issue of a paper document).

• Options
    Judgement on the De Souza case is due to be handed down today at 1100

This could be incendiary if the Upper Tribunal overturns the original verdict

Summary for those unfamiliar (albeit by the claimant in the case):

https://medium.com/@ecklewchuk/desouza-case-summary-and-timeline-9deb6fb17402

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

It sounds like this is the sort of thing that could have easily been resolved by having her formally revoke her British citizenship (which she apparently doesn't care about anyway), if it wasn't for the fact that if the Good Friday Agreement collapses that would leave her utterly fucked?

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    jaziek wrote: »
    I'm plenty old enough that my first UK driving licence was just the paper one and didn't include a photocard - and was valid until the day before my 70th birthday.

House moves have meant needing to "upgrade" to the photocard to keep my address current, but I don't think there's been any other legal requirement to "upgrade". I could be wrong, though.

does the paper license not have to be renewed every 10 years or so like the plastic one?

Nope. It didn't back then, anyway. I've no idea if that requirement has actually changed since.

But I could sign that thing at the age of 17 and be good for the next 53 years with it, if I didn't change address.

My dad hasn't moved house since he got his driving licence 30 years ago, and so still has the paper licence. He's quite happy to get it out when car rental companies ask to see it because it's been in his wallet folded up for so long that it's literally now just a series of small paper rectangles that you have to arrange like a jigsaw to read. It's still valid for another 6 years so he's going to try and hold onto it as long as he can

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »
    I'm plenty old enough that my first UK driving licence was just the paper one and didn't include a photocard - and was valid until the day before my 70th birthday.

House moves have meant needing to "upgrade" to the photocard to keep my address current, but I don't think there's been any other legal requirement to "upgrade". I could be wrong, though.

does the paper license not have to be renewed every 10 years or so like the plastic one?

Nope. It didn't back then, anyway. I've no idea if that requirement has actually changed since.

But I could sign that thing at the age of 17 and be good for the next 53 years with it, if I didn't change address.

My dad hasn't moved house since he got his driving licence 30 years ago, and so still has the paper licence. He's quite happy to get it out when car rental companies ask to see it because it's been in his wallet folded up for so long that it's literally now just a series of small paper rectangles that you have to arrange like a jigsaw to read. It's still valid for another 6 years so he's going to try and hold onto it as long as he can

Hahaha my dad is the exact same with his.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I kept my paper licence until it fell apart as well. Unfolding it was like Indiana Jones trying not to destroy an ancient manuscript he'd found.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    So doesn't Johnson have to send his letter to the EU by the end of today?

• Options
    I don't think so. The EU is now prepared to negotiate up until the summit in a few days.

• Options
    Yeah but wasn't the 14th the legal deadline for him sending a letter if no deal had been reached by that point to request the extension? Or was it the 19th?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    iirc it's the 19th

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
  • Options
    Damn, was hoping today was the day he'd have to eat crow or go to jail.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    All I can really glean from that case is that the home office are massive dicks, which I already knew.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    jothki wrote: »

It sounds like this is the sort of thing that could have easily been resolved by having her formally revoke her British citizenship (which she apparently doesn't care about anyway), if it wasn't for the fact that if the Good Friday Agreement collapses that would leave her utterly fucked?

Formally renouncing it would require acknowledging and accepting that she was British in the first place, which she isn't willing to do and the GFA is supposed to protect her from needing to do

If everybody in NI is automatically British then various things get quite weird

Certainly a large proportion of the NI population are likely to be quite angry (to put it mildly) about the idea they can be claimed as British against their will in this way

Edit: that is to say, this case can certainly be resolved in that way, but I'd take issue with "easily"

japan on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The automatic granting of British citizenship seems fine enough to me. The GFA says that NI is part of the UK, and if the UK grants citizenship to anyone born in NI then that's just the way it's going to be, and giving parents an easy way to renounce their child's UK citizenship seems more convenient than requiring them to accept UK citizenship. Just on the basis of a possible paperwork screw-up opt-out is probably safer than opt-in for this. The application of immigration law requiring her to behave as a UK citizen instead of an EEA citizen is less good, and unless the law for UK citizens applying for a family visa is seriously different than that for EEA citizens I think it'd be better to just let people use whichever application procedure they prefer. The Home Office retaining the husband's passport is just a total dick move.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I agree. Opt out instead of opt in is definitely the way to do this kind of thing BUT that very much comes with being in not being to your detriment which is what our actively hostile Home Office is doing.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019

Last I checked it is fucking near impossible to formally renounce British Citizenship.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    The Home Office since May forward has been fucking awful and it wasn’t exactly great beforehand

Edit: that is to say May as Home Secretary, under Cameron

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Argh, he's still going on about buses!

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    The Home Office since May forward has been fucking awful and it wasn’t exactly great beforehand

Edit: that is to say May as Home Secretary, under Cameron

The first one I can remember thinking "Wow, this is awful" about was Jacqui Smith. Though Straw and Blunkett had their moments.
    That said, looking at the list, they appear to have been pretty appalling as long as I've been alive, and probably weren't any better before that.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Last I checked it is fucking near impossible to formally renounce British Citizenship.

It's actually pretty easy, all you have to do is pledge allegiance to IS while there's a Tory government.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

europe guy at buzzfeed

broadly as expected - too little time to get anything hammered out anyway and extension conditions were always the key inevitability

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Has BoJo ever looked more like Humpty Dumpty? (And, frankly, I'm very much looking forward to his big fall.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Has BoJo ever looked more like Humpty Dumpty? (And, frankly, I'm very much looking forward to his big fall.)

Hasn't he already had a few of them?

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Hasn't he already had a few of them?

Not enough.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I'm thinking of the kind of fall where all the king's horses and all the king's men can't salvage his political career. Him and all the other cracked eggs who have been a driving force in UK politics over the last several years.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    I'm thinking of the kind of fall where all the king's horses and all the king's men can't salvage his political career. Him and all the other cracked eggs who have been a driving force in UK politics over the last several years.

It's a nice dream.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    55€ (the example given) or 50 quid is a lot to be able to go to vote

Well in the Netherlands and other countries there is a general identification duty. That is, you have to show your ID to a cop whenever asked. So it's not a tax on being able to vote, it's a tax on being able to walk about in public. Though since you're obligated to have it you don't have to pay full price if you're not able to afford it.

It's funny because for the longest time it was an out of the question thing, because it was what the Nazis implemented immediately during the occupation. It was very useful when they started to round up people, an important factor in why so many Jews were caught here.

There is reason for scepticism even if IDs were freely and easily available.

• Options
    Best comment I've seen on Johnson's Queen's speech so far: "Makes Monty Python look like Panorama!"

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    Platy wrote: »
    55€ (the example given) or 50 quid is a lot to be able to go to vote

Well in the Netherlands and other countries there is a general identification duty. That is, you have to show your ID to a cop whenever asked. So it's not a tax on being able to vote, it's a tax on being able to walk about in public. Though since you're obligated to have it you don't have to pay full price if you're not able to afford it.

It's funny because for the longest time it was an out of the question thing, because it was what the Nazis implemented immediately during the occupation. It was very useful when they started to round up people, an important factor in why so many Jews were caught here.

There is reason for scepticism even if IDs were freely and easily available.

That something can be administered well and impartially doesn't mean it will be, and given who is proposing it...

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    So in inconvenient border news, a British couple have had a nightmare of a time after taking a side road in Canada and then getting picked up by the child-thirsty border patrol. Looks like it's going to pick up speed because it is literally insane.

Going to be tricky for Boris to thread the needle here on the need to suck up to Trump on his one pet issue whilst also highlighting his commitment to keeping an open border in Ireland and ending free movement from the EU.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I love the bit where they're leaning on the parents to surrender their baby, as if anyone in or near North America doesn't know full well by now that children taken into ICE custody tend not to be heard from again.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    So in inconvenient border news, a British couple have had a nightmare of a time after taking a side road in Canada and then getting picked up by the child-thirsty border patrol. Looks like it's going to pick up speed because it is literally insane.

Going to be tricky for Boris to thread the needle here on the need to suck up to Trump on his one pet issue whilst also highlighting his commitment to keeping an open border in Ireland and ending free movement from the EU.

Do we have any other sources on this than the Enquirer? Because, it's honestly so nutty that I cant believe it. Not because I think these border patrol folks are good people, but because they usually take care not to get white people caught up in their schemes to avoid accurate reporting and 'credible' witnesses who can speak English.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    That story is from the Philadelphia Inquirer, the main daily newspaper for Philadelphia and its suburbs and a reputable source for news. Not to be confused with the National Enquirer, which is a trash tabloid.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

Do we have any other sources on this than the Enquirer? Because, it's honestly so nutty that I cant believe it. Not because I think these border patrol folks are good people, but because they usually take care not to get white people caught up in their schemes to avoid accurate reporting and 'credible' witnesses who can speak English.

All the sites referencing it I could find referenced the Philadelphia Inquirer. (Not Enquirer.) Which is the closest major city to the jail site they mention in the story.

Also your assumption that they are white because they're from the UK may be unfounded. I haven't seen any photos of them and the UK isn't entirely white. (It is about 90% Trump approved but still, 10%...)

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

All the sites referencing it I could find referenced the Philadelphia Inquirer. (Not Enquirer.) Which is the closest major city to the jail site they mention in the story.

Also your assumption that they are white because they're from the UK may be unfounded. I haven't seen any photos of them and the UK isn't entirely white. (It is about 90% Trump approved but still, 10%...)

I could link the Mail, but not sure if that counts. They have a photo and they are white (which isn't in the Inquirer) and have contacted the family...albeit super tackily. I felt the same when I first heard it, but it seems to be slowly disseminating out.

[edit]The Mail has gone through their facebook for more photos and it's now the headline article on the Mail Online. The brother of the father is also detained along with his 2-year old twins, but haven't been released.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2019
    Also not the first time the us border patrol in that area has jumped on accidental border crossings of white people - remember that Canadian girl who went for a run on the beach? I think it’s either their MO regardless of color, OR if they’re this shit to white people, imagine what happens if you’re visibly a minority?

(Every interaction I’ve had in that region with immigration has also been shitty - it appears to be endemic.)

tynic on
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

BBC's carrying the story, and aren't just reporting it as "according to (other source)" either.

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

BBC's carrying the story, and aren't just reporting it as "according to (other source)" either.

A western couple is detained and suddenly Europe will decide to wake up and have an opinion on the inhumane shit that has been happening in America for a long time.
    The whole thing fills me with rage and sadness.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.