Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

gdi geth [chat]

• ChanusChanus Ribbit! Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    I was reading about that Handke guy and found out something.
    Milk offers a stunning case in point. Dairymen, especially those serving crowded American cities in the nineteenth century, learned that there were profits to be made by skimming and watering down their product. The standard recipe was a pint of lukewarm water to every quart of milk—after the cream had been skimmed off. To improve the bluish look of the remaining liquid, milk producers learned to add whitening agents such as plaster of paris or chalk. Sometimes they added a dollop of molasses to give the liquid a more golden, creamy color. To mimic the expected layer of cream on top, they might also add a final squirt of something yellowish, occasionally pureed calf brains.

“Where are the police?” demanded New York journalist John Mullaly as he detailed such practices and worse in his 1853 book, The Milk Trade in New York and Vicinity. Mullaly’s evidence included reports from frustrated physicians stating that thousands of children were killed in New York City every year by dirty (bacteria-laden) and deliberately tainted milk. His demands for prosecution were partly theater. Despite his and others’ outraged demands for change, no laws existed to make such adulterations illegal. Still Mullaly continued to ask, when would enough be enough?

Fakery and adulteration ran rampant in other American products as well. “Honey” often proved to be thickened, colored corn syrup, and “vanilla” extract a mixture of alcohol and brown food coloring. “Strawberry” jam could be sweetened paste made from mashed apple peelings laced with grass seeds and dyed red. “Coffee” might be largely sawdust, or wheat, beans, beets, peas, and dandelion seeds, scorched black and ground to resemble the genuine article. Containers of “pepper,” “cinnamon,” or “nutmeg” were frequently laced with a cheaper filler material such as pulverized coconut shells, charred rope, or occasionally floor sweepings. “Flour” routinely contained crushed stone or gypsum as a cheap extender. Ground insects could be mixed into brown sugar, often without detection—their use linked to an unpleasant condition known as “grocer’s itch.”

By the end of the nineteenth century, the sweeping industrial revolution—and the rise of industrial chemistry—had also brought a host of new chemical additives and synthetic compounds into the food supply. Still unchecked by government regulation, basic safety testing, or even labeling requirements, food and drink manufacturers embraced the new materials with enthusiasm, mixing them into goods destined for the grocery store at sometimes lethal levels. The most popular preservative for milk—a product prone to rot in an era that lacked effective refrigeration—was formaldehyde, its use adapted from the newest embalming practices of undertakers. Processors employed formaldehyde solutions—sold under innocuous names such as Preservaline—to restore decaying meats as well. Other popular preservatives included salicylic acid, a pharmaceutical com- pound, and borax, a mineral- based material best known as a cleaning product.

Formaldehyde milk!

people are basically horrible monsters who can’t be trusted

**Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
    ElldrenMrMisterKristmas KthulhuKruiteIncenjucar
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    Does Russian table at work involve vodka?

No, just zakuski
    Black bread, sausage, chocolate wafers
    Not even tea!

Steam, LoL: credeiki
    air-photos.tumblr.com
  • knitdanknitdan Oh no Too much hunnyRegistered User regular
    I believe the “your honey is actually corn syrup” is still a problem

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    Hahnsoo1ElldrenKruiteArchElki
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    Hello friends I am a person and I have ideas and goals

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudChanusknitdancredeikiHahnsoo1ElldrenA Kobold's KoboldKristmas KthulhuArchDoodmann
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    I was reading about that Handke guy and found out something.
    Milk offers a stunning case in point. Dairymen, especially those serving crowded American cities in the nineteenth century, learned that there were profits to be made by skimming and watering down their product. The standard recipe was a pint of lukewarm water to every quart of milk—after the cream had been skimmed off. To improve the bluish look of the remaining liquid, milk producers learned to add whitening agents such as plaster of paris or chalk. Sometimes they added a dollop of molasses to give the liquid a more golden, creamy color. To mimic the expected layer of cream on top, they might also add a final squirt of something yellowish, occasionally pureed calf brains.

“Where are the police?” demanded New York journalist John Mullaly as he detailed such practices and worse in his 1853 book, The Milk Trade in New York and Vicinity. Mullaly’s evidence included reports from frustrated physicians stating that thousands of children were killed in New York City every year by dirty (bacteria-laden) and deliberately tainted milk. His demands for prosecution were partly theater. Despite his and others’ outraged demands for change, no laws existed to make such adulterations illegal. Still Mullaly continued to ask, when would enough be enough?

Fakery and adulteration ran rampant in other American products as well. “Honey” often proved to be thickened, colored corn syrup, and “vanilla” extract a mixture of alcohol and brown food coloring. “Strawberry” jam could be sweetened paste made from mashed apple peelings laced with grass seeds and dyed red. “Coffee” might be largely sawdust, or wheat, beans, beets, peas, and dandelion seeds, scorched black and ground to resemble the genuine article. Containers of “pepper,” “cinnamon,” or “nutmeg” were frequently laced with a cheaper filler material such as pulverized coconut shells, charred rope, or occasionally floor sweepings. “Flour” routinely contained crushed stone or gypsum as a cheap extender. Ground insects could be mixed into brown sugar, often without detection—their use linked to an unpleasant condition known as “grocer’s itch.”

By the end of the nineteenth century, the sweeping industrial revolution—and the rise of industrial chemistry—had also brought a host of new chemical additives and synthetic compounds into the food supply. Still unchecked by government regulation, basic safety testing, or even labeling requirements, food and drink manufacturers embraced the new materials with enthusiasm, mixing them into goods destined for the grocery store at sometimes lethal levels. The most popular preservative for milk—a product prone to rot in an era that lacked effective refrigeration—was formaldehyde, its use adapted from the newest embalming practices of undertakers. Processors employed formaldehyde solutions—sold under innocuous names such as Preservaline—to restore decaying meats as well. Other popular preservatives included salicylic acid, a pharmaceutical com- pound, and borax, a mineral- based material best known as a cleaning product.

Formaldehyde milk!

people are basically horrible monsters who can’t be trusted

Tastes like freedom

ChanusKristmas Kthulhu
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

Yet youre on vacation

Very curious

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

but no brand? then what's the point

Hahnsoo1ChanusKristmas KthulhuYoshisummons
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I’m adding this site to the rss feed.

https://theamericanscholar.org/

smCQ5WE.jpg
    There is homework though or as the guy was saying ‘kak bui domashnoe zadanie’ and everyone is like ‘kak bui’ (like) homework or actually homework...?
    But the homework is just to read some articles off our company website for the Russian division of the company and that should be pretty interesting
    It is so good to have people to speak to!

air-photos.tumblr.com
    MazzyxElldren
  • knitdanknitdan Oh no Too much hunnyRegistered User regular
    Basically any honey that doesn’t solidify after awhile is suspect. Any honey that comes in a plastic bear is suspect.

The corn industry uses the pesticides that kill off the bees and then replaces their honey in the marketplace with the vastly inferior corn syrup.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    Blameless ClericKruite

How about insatiable base desires that need to be constantly fulfilled? Like a real man.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    No I am one of those rare happy people

credeikiPowerpuppies
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit I'm a good person yes it's trueRegistered User regular
    I love that there's a Canadian fairytale card in the latest MTG set.
    k04c668yky7f.jpg

it come back

fuck gendered marketing
    Kristmas KthulhuDoodmann
  • BethrynBethryn Registered User regular
    If we eat you, do we gain your happiness?

You think you know someone.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »

No, just zakuski
    Not even tea!

No tea seems like a major breach of all sorts of protocol.

03x29di.png
    ElldrencredeikiVishNub
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    gonna need some proof

can you identify some stop signs

Duke 2.0Kristmas Kthulhu
  • 21stCentury21stCentury A lovely pixel artist and gamecrafter [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    k04c668yky7f.jpg

it come back

the very next day.

Kristmas KthulhuElldren
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    k04c668yky7f.jpg

You guys have several elk cards

Sure but the cat that came back the very next day is a sacred text in the canon of Canadian literature.

We thought he was a goner!

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    credeikiKristmas KthulhuElldren
  • 21stCentury21stCentury A lovely pixel artist and gamecrafter [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    k04c668yky7f.jpg

You guys have several elk cards

Sure but the cat that came back the very next day is a sacred text in the canon of Canadian literature.

We thought he was a goner!

No.

The cat came back.

He just wouldn't stay away.

FeralKristmas KthulhuElldren
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    He protecc
    He attacc
    But mostly
    He come bacc

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    Powerpuppies21stCenturyStyrofoam SammichcredeikiAresProphetHahnsoo1Blameless ClericKristmas KthulhuElldrenMrMisterArchInfamyDeferredSnicketysnick
    Mazzyx wrote: »

No, just zakuski
    Not even tea!

It really is but I suppose we could have gone to get some from one of the tea and coffee stations around the floor
    Man I am actually so happy and energized from this but also quite horrified at how my language has atrophied. At least my understanding is ok, probably from listening to Russian music. But my language generation is just garbage, like I was trying to say that I received a gift of Russian books from my department in undergrad and I could not get the word for received (I had in mind poteryal, to lose, and knew that was wrong so I just gave up on the sentence, and only on the metro home I was like ohhhh wait it’s poluchil you total idiot). I did tell them that it’s been a decade and basic conversation is hard for me but I understand better than I speak (and again I definitely do both better than the other learners so I don’t feel like I’m bringing things down really)

Also still no clarity on how to say data science, like nauka dannikh is the literal translation but I need to do some internet ting and figure out how people actually say it. But yeah even the Russian people were like ‘privet, ya rabotayu v......advanced analytics...?’

air-photos.tumblr.com
    Mazzyx
    Got pillow forted to death by a deck with 2 of those fuckin cats

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    P30sZ0O.png
    iUzhg67.png

nibXTE7.png
    HappylilElfMrMisterChanusElldrenJacobkosh
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

No, just zakuski
    Not even tea!

It really is but I suppose we could have gone to get some from one of the tea and coffee stations around the floor
    Man I am actually so happy and energized from this but also quite horrified at how my language has atrophied. At least my understanding is ok, probably from listening to Russian music. But my language generation is just garbage, like I was trying to say that I received a gift of Russian books from my department in undergrad and I could not get the word for received (I had in mind poteryal, to lose, and knew that was wrong so I just gave up on the sentence, and only on the metro home I was like ohhhh wait it’s poluchil you total idiot). I did tell them that it’s been a decade and basic conversation is hard for me but I understand better than I speak (and again I definitely do both better than the other learners so I don’t feel like I’m bringing things down really)

Also still no clarity on how to say data science, like nauka dannikh is the literal translation but I need to do some internet ting and figure out how people actually say it. But yeah even the Russian people were like ‘privet, ya rabotayu v......advanced analytics...?’

Japanese wins on this with ease of new words. Just make them katakana! データサイエンティスト.

I am so happy for you that you get to practice. It is the best.

03x29di.png
    credeiki
    F'real, Cauldron Familiar + WItch's oven is just........ ridiculous? It's super cheap and effective.

I can play a cat (Dealing very little damage directly), play an oven, block with the cat, stuff the cat in the oven before he gets hit but after the attacker lunges towards it, feed the dead cat a pie made from itself so it comes back (And deals more damage).

Styrofoam SammichKristmas KthulhuElldren
    okay, have a twitter.

I will go play indivisible next i think.

• CoinageCoinage The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter Registered User regular
    These out of context accounts are getting out of hand

s586cu2r93hr.gif

wanderingcB557Elldren
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    thank goodness that today america's
    not to mention out of context drafts

atcwebmqawjl.png
    21stCenturycB557emnmnme
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

That strip wasn't out of context? That seems like a fully baked setup and punchline.

cB557Athenor
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Letting you guys know the next dank meme will be "it's a gay bar pamela" fresh off the dank meme tree.

For context. The Saloon is not "a gay bar", it is the gayest bar.

The Eagle would like a word.

beeteedubs, is this a thing where the trashiest gay bars have unremarkable normie names?

the superhardcore get-murdered-in-the-parking-lot furious leather dude gay biker bar in my town is named Buddies

Ours was named "The I-Beam"

Our non-gay get murdered in the parking lot by a leather clad biker dude bar is named "Rick's"

• MrMisterMrMister A pup must first get in the water to be successful as a seal!Registered User regular
    Ahhh home. Time to get in my PJs and eat sofritas.

ahhh

VishNubwandering
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Registered User regular

Boooo! Get off the page!

VishNubChanuswandering
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 11
    LK0wYOB.png

emnmnme on
    cB557Sleep21stCenturyMrMisterKristmas KthulhuknitdanHappylilElfJebusUDElldren
  • ChanusChanus Ribbit! Registered User regular
    i’m generally pretty happy but i’d never be so crass as to outwardly display it in polite company

**Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
    wanderingHappylilElf
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    i’m generally pretty happy but i’d never be so crass as to outwardly display it in polite company

We burn those people at the stake up here.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Facebook's giving me an ad for Sonic having oreo cookies a la mode (and apparently fried).

I am intrigued, and I hate that about myself.

Official member of the Grilling Gentry
    "Brevity is the soul of getting your shit read." - Tube
    Rarely-updated Collecting blog
    He/Him
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Today we will paint a mountain that owes us nothing. Registered User regular
    I'm reading the Jack Racher novel that they used for the first movie

Props to Tom Cruise, because it works in spite of Reacher being a foot taller than Cruise

tERiPJd.jpg
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    This episode of Riverdale is too sad but fuck in forgot how attractive these people were

Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got the naked chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man.
    wandering
This discussion has been closed.