As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's a good [job] thread, Elmo

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    I like Sir and Ma'am, but I've been phasing them out of my language because there hasn't been invented a gender neutral equivalent formal title.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    At this point it feels like ma’am (and to a lesser extent sir) is just the polite, coroporate-acceptable way to say ‘hey fuckstick’

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    See also "bless your heart".

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I just call everyone "squire"

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Y'honor.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Looks like I'm not on the list for my current position because I missed something on the civil service form. Cool. Just gonna find a hole to crawl into after my shift.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I someone from the VA yesterday picked me up and took me to the national guard armory for my interview/test
    A high with the lowest low is only the beginning
    It was cold yesterday in the low 30'sF I can still do 5 miles in about a hour yay I can do the obstacle course yay I am too old for the job sigh They told me that after I did all the physical stuff and at the end of the QnA testing
    I may have to turn to a family member to politely ask for the money so I can still have a phone [they are a drunk so it's not going to be fun to ask but they are the only one that will talk to me and that's a slim chance they will}

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So my boss just messaged me like 30 minutes ago to say they can keep me on for two more weeks. This is good, obviously, it means I'll have two more paychecks and more time to find my next job.

But I can't help but feel cheated out of the unpaid out of work time until I got my next job. Mostly because I've never actually had a vacation and I rarely ever get time off at all.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    I barely got time off when I was at Walmart. I really had to fight just to get a day off to go to court when they list it under the reasons of why do you need this day off
    They made fun of the check they paid me when they fired me [it was for 2600 and change alas most of that went to my fight with the city}

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    On Friday I gave back grades & feedback to the groups in my US History class for a poster group-project.

And I got to listen to two girls yell at each other over which poster I liked better.
    Student A: He clearly liked our poster better because we got a perfect score!
    Student B: Yeah but he said in the feedback that ours was his favorite!
    Student A: What!?! Where!?! He didn't say that at all!
    Student B: He inferred it in his feedback.
    Student A: You are insane.
    Student B: You're just jealous cause he wrote more feedback for us.
    Student A: He had to write more to include all of his criticisms of your poster!
    Student B: SHUT UP!

So, I'm taking that as a good sign.

Is Student B insane?

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    My students aren't insane, some of them just have a lot of... passion?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Teenagers. So... temporary insanity. In most cases.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2019
    I dunno, could have a Wild Things situation on your hands there jd

tynic on
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    I....am reaching a depth and breadth of burnout I haven't achieved before, and oh boy I'm hoping to hear about some interviews soon

My current gig is nowhere near as bad for me, personally, as some of the nightmare jobs I've spoken about on here before, but for a variety of reasons it hasn't been good for me for about a year, and it is getting harder and harder to drag myself in when I am essentially just sitting and waiting for the day to end with no work to do, which mostly seems to be accumulating into some serious damage to my workplace confidence

I've vaguely considered going back to get a Masters in Design or even Foreign Policy or something for a change, but I'm nowhere near committed enough yet since I think that turn would direct me towards a much more academic career path, and I don't know that I can financially afford to do it, either. But I'm also slamming hard into a wall of doubting myself and my skills and I guess it's sort of making me desperate for some kind of change, because the burnout is making it hard to tell if I hate the job or the career or if I can actually enjoy anything work related and God, I would just, I would love to not have to go into this office again

Anyway, guess I oughta go spend a full paycheque on lottery tickets???

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Due to last week being a very short week I modified our usual weekly assignment (in which they research a global, national, & local story and then we discuss them later on) and had them compete in finding either the weirdest or most heart-warming story.

I even bought prizes from a dollar store for the winners.

For my second period a lot of students complained when I announced my choice for winners.
    Me: Alright, having heard all of your stories I am confident in declaring the winners. For the weirdest story... The story of the horse that got trapped in a bathtub!
    Winning Student: YES! YES YES YES!
    Me: And for most heartwarming... Listen, I know this was presented as a weird story but it warms my heart so the winner is the story of the town that hosts an entire festival focused on guessing the weight of their local bears.
    Students: WHAT!?! YOU PICK THAT!?!
    Me: IT WARMED MY HEART!!!

Zonugal on
    tynic wrote: »

Don't worry, I too have Bill Murray as my personal attorney.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Oh man, you better get that Kevin Bacon, JD.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    @Brainleech are there any Kroger owned chains in your area? I don't know if I can refer across brands, if you were up here I'd just roll my chair over to my colleague and say hire this guy.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

I have no idea what it would even be like to teach students like this. They are so few and far between at my school.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Weaver wrote: »
    @Brainleech are there any Kroger owned chains in your area? I don't know if I can refer across brands, if you were up here I'd just roll my chair over to my colleague and say hire this guy.

Smiths I put in for them but that was early Nov.

I have no idea what it would even be like to teach students like this. They are so few and far between at my school.

Oh well you see, my high school is clearly built atop a Hellmouth, so this is standard stuff.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »

Smiths I put in for them but that was early Nov.

I'll look into if I can refer cross-region tomorrow, if I can I'll PM ya.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Subordinate, all I understand wanting to communicate you were cock blocked by someone, you did not need to describe it in such intense terms and charades while in uniform and on the clock and in the office in front of your supervisor

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    In a work occurrence surprisingly related to recent topic of conversation, I helped do a thing:
    tYq5utG.jpg

It seems like a simple thing, but this is not a mere cosmetic token gesture. This has been a full-blown end-to-end full stack initiative which involved dozens of applications, policy rework, front-end to back-end changes, inter-agency and legacy systems, and a ground-up reworking of even the language and terms used by users and workers. It's been millions of dollars and months of effort to put what appears to be a simple option before a client, but has hundreds of downstream impacts ranging in size from the negligible to the significant. To get it so that it would flow through every single one of our dozens of systems seamlessly and without disrupting any aspect of our service has been a massive effort to get right, involving the work of hundreds of people. The few changes visible to clients really are just the tip of the iceberg, with so much of the effort required to make it all work done on all the behind-the-scenes stuff.

I wish I could convey how big this really is, because there's just so much that you need to cover to make sure you do it right. Not half measures, not bolted on, but fixing intrinsic assumptions built right in at the fundamentals. Just dozens and dozens of things you've never thought of and stuff that would never occur to you even if you spent years on it. Making it work isn't simple. It's really complex to get right, and it's too important not to do right.

It has been a change I have genuinely been waiting for (along with many others) for years and I was fortunately in aposition where I was able to put myself forward early and get a quite integral role where I got to affect real change and was able to really help contribute and push it along. Seeing it go live last night was relieving, and exhilarating, and nerve-wracking.

The first application making use of the changes came through this morning. It originated in the system that I've been the principle on for a decade, the one that is essentially associated with me as my expert system. From there it flowed through to a core product system before generating a record in the client record system. And it all worked seamlessly. And it was just so good, you know? This is probably one of the biggest and also most important things I've ever done, but also one of the most simple and fundamental. It is right. We got it right.

I'm just a bit proud of my work here right now.
    Tomorrow? Tomorrow we can start the process of thinking about how else we can make it better.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Our product owner said my team had been "on fire" this last sprint and it took me a few seconds to interpret that as a positive thing.

"On fire" usually means "the backend/infra is..." to me.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    I....am reaching a depth and breadth of burnout I haven't achieved before, and oh boy I'm hoping to hear about some interviews soon

My current gig is nowhere near as bad for me, personally, as some of the nightmare jobs I've spoken about on here before, but for a variety of reasons it hasn't been good for me for about a year, and it is getting harder and harder to drag myself in when I am essentially just sitting and waiting for the day to end with no work to do, which mostly seems to be accumulating into some serious damage to my workplace confidence

I've vaguely considered going back to get a Masters in Design or even Foreign Policy or something for a change, but I'm nowhere near committed enough yet since I think that turn would direct me towards a much more academic career path, and I don't know that I can financially afford to do it, either. But I'm also slamming hard into a wall of doubting myself and my skills and I guess it's sort of making me desperate for some kind of change, because the burnout is making it hard to tell if I hate the job or the career or if I can actually enjoy anything work related and God, I would just, I would love to not have to go into this office again

Anyway, guess I oughta go spend a full paycheque on lottery tickets???

Any gub'mint engineering jobs going?

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I have been sent home (gently) from work because I am ill. I would normally feel guilty about this but I've done so much overtime last week I'm not going to fight it. I'm allowed to be ill, it's the UK.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Liiya wrote: »
    I have been sent home (gently) from work because I am ill. I would normally feel guilty about this but I've done so much overtime last week I'm not going to fight it. I'm allowed to be ill, it's the UK.
    Drink tea
    All the tea

Also as much as people rag on Black Friday, I find it incredibly useful to have a big sale before Christmas so I can get the vast majority of my Christmas shopping done. My brothers have the same issue I have where we just don't buy clothes until they're absolutely falling apart. So black Friday is a good time to replace nakered items of clothing. I expect the jumper I bought for my brother to be in his wardrobe circulation for the next 4 or 5 years.

I also bought some sick flannel shirts because I am now 32 and dress like modern-day Jamie Oliver

Karl on
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I am going to drink so much tea. And lemsip. And digestive biscuits.

Those jumpers sound lovely.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I'm on day four of a fiver. Well, 4 out of the five are 12's, friday was an optional fuck off day to try and save a little VT. But holy shit I'm never swapping shifts with anybody again this sucks ass. If I make it to 7:30 tomorrow night I've got five days off but I'll probably need at least two just to recover.

To make matters worse they finally put in a new (1 of a planned 3) piece of equipment that was supposed to make everything so much easier and better and wonderful and there'd be rainbows and sparkles and happy little dancing elves. It was gonna be great, you guys! Maintenance gave me a five minute briefing on how it worked and then everybody fucked off and went home for the rest of the weekend. And, unsurprisingly, the thing has worked correctly exactly TWICE since it was installed Saturday. "Oh but Canada has the exact same thing and it works perfectly for them fart noise they're a bench mark several more fart noises."

It is hilarious to me how literally nothing in this department works like it's supposed to. Like, even the fucking vending machine has to be finagled to make it work right.

I work in the Bermuda Triangle or also hell or both?

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    My fashion game, in general, has risen since meeting my (now) wife.
    Yes she does dress me sometimes.

And @Juggernut, have you been cursed by a surly wizard? This is the only explanation I can come up with for your current predicament

Karl on
    I dunno probably.

I have a bad habit of insulting mysterious, old wanderers and crones I meet upon the road.

I have it on good authority that Jugg was a big bully to a would-be wizard in an alternate timeline that ended up here and has incited his wrath entirely by accident.

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I've got a meeting scheduled for right now but nobody on my team is moving.

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    The meeting was cancelled and I apparently just ignored the email saying so.

What a tumultuous 4 minutes that must have been!

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    This is going to be a looong week.

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I'm a bit vague on what day it actually is, but to me, today is Fridax.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Wow, I have NO emails after I left last week.

Either it was very quiet or I'm being fired and they're waiting until today to tell me

This discussion has been closed.