As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Renaissance [chat]

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    We should invent a universal language that is designed such that it can be spoken as a dialect of all the other lingua francas, so it just sort of funnels people speaking other languages into speaking it.

it's English

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    We should invent a universal language that is designed such that it can be spoken as a dialect of all the other lingua francas, so it just sort of funnels people speaking other languages into speaking it.

I think, technically, this is math.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    "What's that? My Space Marine chapter gets renamed to Iron Hands?"

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    I guess our new employee smells like cat piss

this isn't the first time this happened

how do you not do a sniff test of clothes and go "holy shit this smells like cat piss!" before you put them on

hey what's up

do you not lick it to see if it has the taste properties of piss then

Obviously exceptions are exceptions but she isn't anosmic.

How bad does a house have to be for cat piss to funk through all their possessions? My ex's mother had 15+ cats and she didn't smell like cat piss.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I only feed my cat roses so his piss smells like perfume.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

it's Esperanto

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    In my dream world instead of pronouns everybody has a set of single syllable nicknames.

some of the native american languages have no pronouns of any sort. Lots of languages don't have gendered pronouns at all, or require a suffix or a separate word to provide clarity if context doesn't get you there.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

I think, technically, this is math.

We should just speak math.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

There are 15 competing standards.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    the universal language is shitposting

• Options
    in my dream world we don't need pronouns because you never talk about anybody else you just play with cats all day

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I got a headhunting email from "Sigmar Recruitment".

Nah, I don't like Stormcast Eternals.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I’m a gender

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    And a language

• Options
    Many of our problems would be solved if we simply abolished speech

• Options
    Neco wrote: »
    I’m a gender
    And a language

language: Duval

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    And a language

Speaking u but with a heavy accent

• Options
    Cats

more cats

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I've been reading idly about Ojibwe and it's got some interesting grammar

Nouns and verbs are heavily inflected (prefixes and suffixes added to the root word) to convey a lot of different information, which isn't uncommon, but the the sheer variety of info they convey seems notable

Not just gender or number or tense, which we see in English and related languages, but evidentiality (what evidence or sense has produced this fact, or how evident is it; we might say "I saw that..." or "allegedly..." or "people say...") and distinction between proximate/obviative third person, which is basically a way to be more specific and add a "fourth person" when there's ambiguity

Pretty neat

• Options
    Thundercat is hilarious because of how subtle/nuanced she can be in how communicative she is.

Like the other two cats are incredibly blunt and basically just meow as a function of how they feel at the moment, their interactions with me are very skinner-box-ey, but Thundercat actually modulates her meows in such a way that she seems to be attempting to say something to me. Like she's the only one out of the bunch who behaves as though she understands that I hold some sort of complex internal state. I wonder how much of that is simply a function of her being older and thus understanding how the humans be better?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I've been reading idly about Ojibwe and it's got some interesting grammar

Nouns and verbs are heavily inflected (prefixes and suffixes added to the root word) to convey a lot of different information, which isn't uncommon, but the the sheer variety of info they convey seems notable

Not just gender or number or tense, which we see in English and related languages, but evidentiality (what evidence or sense has produced this fact, or how evident is it; we might say "I saw that..." or "allegedly..." or "people say...") and distinction between proximate/obviative third person, which is basically a way to be more specific and add a "fourth person" when there's ambiguity

Pretty neat

fs59khn8ryqg.png

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    They ended the first one on a cliffhanger!!! AHHHHH
    don't worry, we'll find out what happened to Pey'j

in a pig's eye!!

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Do pictures of Xi Jinping count as political posts?

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »

You're the mod!

Also Free Hong Kong

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

I'm not sure why pictures of a cartoon bear would be political.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I don't get then Xi Jinping = Winnie the Pooh thing but it's absolutely everywhere today

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    remember how in Atlantis: The Lost Empire the Atlanteans can understand english because they speak the "root language" that English was derived from even tho this makes no sense whatsoever

• Options
    Arch wrote: »
    I don't get then Xi Jinping = Winnie the Pooh thing but it's absolutely everywhere today

It was a Streisand effect that just led to more and more hilarious backlash

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

The honey is political power and the pot is authoritarian measures

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

It's been around for a long time. The original joke is from 2013 and the banning and bigger internet explosion of the joke was back in 2017.

Recently it's back on the table because of everything going on with China.

• Options

The honey is political power and the pot is authoritarian measures

Is Rabbit's garden Hong Kong?

• Options
    wandering wrote: »
    remember how in Atlantis: The Lost Empire the Atlanteans can understand english because they speak the "root language" that English was derived from even tho this makes no sense whatsoever

You know how the more languages you learn, generally the easier it is to learn new languages?

It would be neat if you could just teach the completely abstracted "language" and it would somehow give you the means to decipher other languages very quickly.

Similar to how once you understand basic programming concepts translating into different syntax is usually trivial.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I will always wonder if China might have turned out better if they hadn't given up on the whole 'Emperor' thing.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

He looks like Winnie the Pooh

and saying it makes him mad

It is hilarious

• Options
    Trace wrote: »
    I will always wonder if China might have turned out better if they hadn't given up on the whole 'Emperor' thing.

They didn't really

New words same concepts in practice

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

He looks like Winnie the Pooh

and saying it makes him mad

It is hilarious

thats pretty much the whole thing.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Our chemistry department makes it surprisingly difficult to get appropriate safety equipment, like flame resistant lab coats.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Trace wrote: »

They didn't really

New words same concepts in practice

Ummm no they did. And actually moved between a few government types before CKS and then Mao set up their oligarchical structures.

Edit:

Between 1912~1925 was really the Republican period in China though central authority was weak and there was a lot of proto-civil war to full civil war going on. And not just the KMT and the communist but a bunch of factions.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.