As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Legends of Runeterra]: Enjoy Early and Evening Engagements in this Excellent Expansion

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I was watching him try to win with that deck on stream. He lost like 6-in-a-row before getting the perfect draw for unlimited 5/5s. He had the combo against an Asol deck, but the opponent just wiped his board with the 15 damage spell and blew by his single 5/5.

Definitely glad it's fixed though. And that log-in bug, which I feel was actually more annoying. :biggrin:

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Hiya everyone... decided to try this game on a whim and it seems fun... been enjoying the Jinx (and some other douchebag i don't care about) starter deck a lot.

Anyway, i am wondering is there's a good roadmap for new players? like, should i try maxing out a region or jump from one to the other?

Also is there a good resource for decklists/draft strategies?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    conventional wisdom is to get to level 8 in a region then jump to another region until you have level 8 in all of them, because level 8 is the point at which you get a champion from each track

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Hiya everyone... decided to try this game on a whim and it seems fun... been enjoying the Jinx (and some other douchebag i don't care about) starter deck a lot.

Anyway, i am wondering is there's a good roadmap for new players? like, should i try maxing out a region or jump from one to the other?

Also is there a good resource for decklists/draft strategies?

Hey! Welcome to LoR. You picked a pretty good time to jump in with the new expansion just dropping.

For starters, I'd recommend you play a variety of decks to feel out what regions you gravitate towards. The HS equivalents are in the OP. But Demacia is a good starting point. They play strong minions on curve, have Barriers (one-turn Divine Shields), lots of Challengers (you choose who blocks a unit), and Scout units (free attack if just using Scouts). Unfortunately, Demacia isn't doing too well outside of a single Miss Fortune Scout deck, which is very strong.

For region tracks, maybe start by taking each region to level 8 first, which is where you get your first Champion. But it doesn't matter too much, you'll get lots of cards and XP just by playing. You should literally own every card after 3-4 months if you complete your daily quests. It's pretty bonkers how F2P-friendly the game is.

For guides, you can check out these:

https://www.runeterrauniversity.com/
    https://www.swimstrim.com/
    https://lor.mobalytics.gg/en_us

Ask any questions you want! Have fun!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    How often do i get rerolls on quests?

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    You can store up to two rerolls and you can gain one each day.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    FYI, there are two types of quests: 1000 XP and 1500 XP. So generally you wanna be rerolling to get higher XP quests.

Also you get 1 quest a day and can hold up to 3.

• Options
    How often do i get rerolls on quests?

As someone who was hardcore min/maxing in Hearthstone (rerolling every non-60+ quest), I find the daily quest system in LoR a lot less punishing. If you do the minimum each day (3 PvP wins) and have only a 1,000 xp quest, you'll earn 2,300 xp. It goes up to 2,800 if you have a 1,500 xp quest. That means, at a minimum of just daily stuff, you'll end up with 16,100 xp for the week.

The Vault levels up at 1k, 2k, 3k, 4k, 5k, 7k, 9k, 11k, 13k, 17k, 21k, 25k, then 4k after that adds another Capsule. The target goal you should aim for is level 10, which is 13k xp. You get that naturally even if you have bad luck and never get a 1,500 xp quest. Of course, I usually get level 11 Vault each week (17k) and just save any quests on Wednesday for a roll-over into the following week.

tl;dr - finishing a 1,000xp quest is fine as long as you get your 3 PvP wins as well.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Well, I finished off the 3 smaller region tracks they added (well, I got to 28, I don't need more wildcards right now). So now I'm doing the long grind through the last half of Targon. Should be back at maxxed in all the regions before the next drop pretty easily.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    How do Expeditions work? I'd try it but i have no clue what to expect and i don't want to waste a token (silly, i know, seems like you get at least one every week?)

I can't wait to have more champions, also... I really wanna play with, like, Teemo.

Also i can't wait for Singed to show up as a card. Mix Mix Stir.

(Is Singed still a thing? I played Singed a lot back in the olden times.)

EDIT: Also any way to know how many Wildcards you have?

21stCentury on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    So if you've played other digital card games, it's basically a pretty standard draft mode. You pick sets of cards to add to a deck out of some random offerings, and then you play it against other players who have done the same. You don't keep any of the cards you pick for your collection. You do however, get to do it twice for each entry, and you receive rewards based on which of those two runs do the best.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    You can see your Wildcards at the top of the "Cards" screen on the store page.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    How do Expeditions work? I'd try it but i have no clue what to expect and i don't want to waste a token (silly, i know, seems like you get at least one every week?)

I can't wait to have more champions, also... I really wanna play with, like, Teemo.

Also i can't wait for Singed to show up as a card. Mix Mix Stir.

(Is Singed still a thing? I played Singed a lot back in the olden times.)

Expeditions are the draft mode.

Draft:
    You start it up and you draft a deck in 15 different steps where you choose 1 set of cards from 3 different choices.

First you choose a champion + 2 cards.
    Then you choose a different champion + 2 cards.
    Then you get 13 more choices of 2 cards. These alternate between picks that are supposed to synergize with your choices and ones that are more random.

Cards are grouped into archetypes. You'll see the name above the choice and you can mouse over it to see the vague description they give of it. These archetypes are basically a specific style of deck. The champs you choose come from archetypes too and those champ archetypes will influence what options you see in your later choices. You don't really need to know much about that though imo.

You can draft from up to 3 regions in Expeditions.

After you finish drafting your deck you will get a trade option. It will give you 3 different options for swapping out a card from your deck for a different card the game thinks you might like better. And then you get to start a game.

Games:
    The goal is to win 7 games without losing more then 2 in a row. And that's 2 in a row, not 2 total. You can lose like 6 games and still make it to the end so long as you don't lose 2 games in a row. The 7th and final game though is a 1-shot deal. You either lose or you win and either way that run ends. But before then you can lose a game and keep going so long as you win the next one.

After the 1st and 3rd games you will get to choose another champion. It will be a choice of both champs you already have and then a 3rd option. So you start off in game 1 with one of each champions and will have 4 total if you make it past game 3.

After every game without a champ pick, win or lose, you will also get another option to trade a card.
    After the 6th win, going into game 7, you will get 5 trades in a row.

Also, each expedition gets you 2 shots (called Trials). So you get 2 chances at drafting a deck and trying to get to 7 wins. Whichever run goes further determines the rewards you get.

You always get 1 epic card from doing an expedition. But you get shards and extra cards for doing better. (fyi Epics have dupe protection so an expedition token is always worth at least 1 epic card)

Also there is bonus XP for expeditions. You get less xp for wins and loses but there's a bonus after finishing your expedition trial that overall works out to be slightly better XP per game if you win a few games.

Also, you can only do 3 expeditions with rewards per week. After the 3rd one, you can play for free as many times as you want but you don't get rewards beyond XP for it and you can't spend tokens on doing those runs.

There is generally no reason not to do them if you enjoy the mode and it's worth spending the tokens to collect cards if you want to.

shryke on
  • Options
    So if you've played other digital card games, it's basically a pretty standard draft mode. You pick sets of cards to add to a deck out of some random offerings, and then you play it against other players who have done the same. You don't keep any of the cards you pick for your collection. You do however, get to do it twice for each entry, and you receive rewards based on which of those two runs do the best.

Ah, i see, but you get more than 1 card per pick, right?

• Options
    I used to do 3 expeditions per week until I filled out my collection. Of course, back then you used to get a guaranteed champion.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I still do 3 a week but I started only doing the second run if I got under 6 wins on the first go.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    QUESTION, do you get anything other than weekly vaults to look forward to once you hit the end of every region track (Which i am to understand is a real prospect if you play a bit every day)?

QUESTION 2, i'm assuming expeditions are drop in drop out? like i can draft tonight, play a game tomorrow, keep going over the next few months, in theory, right?

21stCentury on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Tangible rewards are only from the vault, expeditions, and the region track. There are purely cosmetic rewards from seasonal events like the end of the bimonthly ranked season or weekly gauntlets. They also did a one-off summer event a month ago that had some card rewards.

E: Expeditions are drop in drop out to an extent. If there's a major balance patch (roughly once per month) your current draft gets reset to 0-0 and you redraft your deck. Normally only your first 3 expeditions each week give rewards, but that counts against the week that you buy in. So if you're busier than usual on one week you can do 2, start a 3rd and carry it over, then do 4 the next week (or do 3 and carry the 3rd over, etc.).

Yilias on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    QUESTION, do you get anything other than weekly vaults to look forward to once you hit the end of every region track (Which i am to understand is a real prospect if you play a bit every day)?

QUESTION 2, i'm assuming expeditions are drop in drop out? like i can draft tonight, play a game tomorrow, keep going over the next few months, in theory, right?

Q1: Yeah, I had all my region tracks completed for over a month. I usually play 3-5 games per day to finish my quests

According to this thread, I had all of the pre-Targon tracks to level 25 on June 28th, which was about 5 or so months of playing.

Some of us used to track our collections after opening the Vault. Here’s my last collection update, again, 5 or so months after launch.
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    My Vault had a surprising amount of upgraded WCs. My first row of 5 was all, non-upgraded Common WC. I did a double take to see if it was a special thing or whatever. Only Commons/Rares this week, which I suppose is about right.

Commons: 569 out of 594, 204 WC, 96%
    Rares: 405 out of 450, 94 WC, 90%
    Epics: 171 out of 171, 32 WC, 100%
    Champions: 103 out of 108, 14 WC, 95%
    Shards: 66588
    Regions: 25 across the board

In the weeks and months that followed, I had virtually every card. Of course, my collection is a bit skewed since you used to get a guaranteed Champion for your first 3 Expeditions each week.

Edit: for comparison, my current Wild Card counts are: 237/107/38/21 with 102k Shards. I’ve only crafted a few new cards since I’m waiting to finish the Targon track first.

That being said, I still think it’s possible to have a full collection within 5-6 months if you play only a few games a day. Faster if you play a lot more often. It’s so refreshing coming from MtG:A and HS.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I'm really enjoying this draft format. It's a little too good of an idea to force Targon but you can still compete with other stuff.

Ended up getting another triple 7 this week too:

5 (Daybreak) - 7 (Aggro Pile)
    wxsrsn1aoap7.pngm6ssk55awbnm.png

7 (Bannerman) - Retire
    ixc9fpqe14ge.pngzgbfrthgcpzl.png

4 (Trundle/ASol Behold) - 7 (Daybreak)
    2wuotmkyue0a.png

• Options
    Are shards plentiful enough to be able to do 3 expeditions every week?

From what i can see, you only get 1 voucher per weekly vault, no?

• Options
    Yes, because you also get shards from the vault, duplicates convert to shards at a discount rate, and expeditions give shards on top of the card rewards. Below 5 wins is just a couple hundred shards, but 6 wins gives 1k and 7 wins gives 2k. Between all of those you can easily end up with a weekly income of 4k+ to cover the 2nd and 3rd run. After your 3rd run you can also play expeditions for free, which has no card rewards but still gives a lot of experience for the vault and is good for practicing drafting.

Wildcards and shards are functionally infinite if you play regularly. I'll be breaking 100k shards sometime this month and I've got ~50 Epic/Champion and hundreds of Common/Rare wildcards. Although I do have to confess that that's partly because I never craft anything and just wait on organic unboxings.

• Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    Yes, because you also get shards from the vault, duplicates convert to shards at a discount rate, and expeditions give shards on top of the card rewards. Below 5 wins is just a couple hundred shards, but 6 wins gives 1k and 7 wins gives 2k. Between all of those you can easily end up with a weekly income of 4k+ to cover the 2nd and 3rd run. After your 3rd run you can also play expeditions for free, which has no card rewards but still gives a lot of experience for the vault and is good for practicing drafting.

Wildcards and shards are functionally infinite if you play regularly. I'll be breaking 100k shards sometime this month and I've got ~50 Epic/Champion and hundreds of Common/Rare wildcards. Although I do have to confess that that's partly because I never craft anything and just wait on organic unboxings.

i can't fathom how generous this free game is.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    I would say generally that unless you enjoy expeditions, there's probably no reason from a grind-out-your-collection perspective for paying shards for expeditions.

Also, yes, this game is silly generous as long as all you want is cards.

shryke on
  • Options
    This may have been my best Vault since launch.

6uzxuh07zbs6.jpeg

Lulu, 3xLeona, and 1 Champion Wild Card. This is why I haven’t used many WCs yet. :biggrin:

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Heh.

Yesterday i noticed Maokai's card (self milling to obliterate most of your opponent's deck seems impressive. probably way too hard to be worth it but wah.)

Today i get an Epic card pull from Shadow isles that gets upgraded to Maokai.

This is a sign.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Sadly Maokai only really works with Nautilus - and they work well together giving you two different winconditions which help each other out. I tried solo Maokai before and you end up milling yourself half the time around the same turn you'd mill your opponent; having Nautilus to dump cards back in your deck helps a lot

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Maokai/Nautilus is one of the best anti-Control decks in the game. Putting your opponent to 4 cards is pretty back breaking.

Been stuck around Plat 2 for a while now. Mainly running Swain/TF. In that "win one, lose one" rut. By and large, my biggest frustration is losing games to any deck that has access to the celestial cards. They get the Obliterate cards against my Swain and/or Leviathan every single time. It's some degenerate Hearthstone RNG that really shouldn't exist in LoR.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    The waiting on the celestial cards does not feel honest - running it, it really feels like I get the obliterate 2 regularly without needing to look for it

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    The waiting on the celestial cards does not feel honest - running it, it really feels like I get the obliterate 2 regularly without needing to look for it

The draw for Celestial cards is weighted. I remember someone on the dev team mentioning this to Swim during one of his streams about the revealed cards. I think it's fairly strongly towards the bigger ones but I'm not 100% sure on the exact weighting. But it's for sure not an even chance.

• Options
    Sadly Maokai only really works with Nautilus - and they work well together giving you two different winconditions which help each other out. I tried solo Maokai before and you end up milling yourself half the time around the same turn you'd mill your opponent; having Nautilus to dump cards back in your deck helps a lot

Yeah, Millkai is sadly lacking. I've seen a few deckbuilders try and make it work and it never really lands strongly. Part of the problem is the lack of close after you mill them and part is that it's hard to run a mill strat without basically importing 90% of the useful Deep package, at which point you might as well just run Nautilus and be a Deep deck since it gives you a strong alternate win condition.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

Yeah, Millkai is sadly lacking. I've seen a few deckbuilders try and make it work and it never really lands strongly. Part of the problem is the lack of close after you mill them and part is that it's hard to run a mill strat without basically importing 90% of the useful Deep package, at which point you might as well just run Nautilus and be a Deep deck since it gives you a strong alternate win condition.

STILL SOUNDS FUN.

But I won't spend money to get it built.

• Options

STILL SOUNDS FUN.

Eh, you won't have to wait long before you have every card in the game. Then you'll be opening your Vault like, "Sigh...another 3k Shards..." :biggrin:

Also, lost another won game to a celestial top-deck giving them the "Obliterate two followers" taking out my Swain and Leviathan. Whee!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited September 2020

STILL SOUNDS FUN.

If you want like competitive decks, Swim's site is a good place to look:
    https://www.swimstrim.com/
    (there are other good deckbuilders, but Swim's site is well laid out and has everything consolidated and easy to find)
    He's usually got at least a few top tier decks that are budget friendly.

Otherwise, just do whatever works and seems fun.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited September 2020

STILL SOUNDS FUN.

If you want like competitive decks, Swim's site is a good place to look:
    www.swimstrim.com
    (there are other good deckbuilders, but Swim's site is well laid out and has everything consolidated and easy to find)
    He's usually got at least a few top tier decks that are budget friendly.

Otherwise, just do whatever works and seems fun.

Right now i'm using the starter decks until i feel confident i can make a decent deck.

Like, i'm not rushing. I know that I can get all the cards anyway.

EDIT: Oh, my expedition is going well.

3:0 W:L so far. And I have 5 Jeweled Protectors, as well as a few (like, 3) recall cards.

it's ridonk paired with greenglade duo.

EDIT 2: Expedition update. I managed to have a ~20 card deck have ~80 puffcaps and still lost. Didn't even draw my Teemo. Felt kinda bad, man.

Also.... i felt smart when i noticed i could challenge elusive enemies, not gonna lie.

EDIT 3: Expedition update. Got my 2nd loss in a row after 4 wins. :( The Great Beyond being both elusive AND spellshield feels bad. :(

21stCentury on
  • Options
    Random thing I learned: the Fury keyword applies on every strike from an ability. So, say, Judgement will proc Fury for every single enemy it hits, boosting the attack between hitting each enemy.

The fun thing is the game's oracle eye thing doesn't know this.

So, just FYI.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I would expect Fury to give buffs for every unit killed by a Judgement, but it hits from left to right and not "at the same time"? That's weird.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Just giving Lee Sonic Wave as his champion spell is a huge buff, Dragon's Rage is such a bad card

• Options
    Good, all around changes. I'm hoping the look into Celestial power levels, but I'm afraid that won't be for a while yet.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page