As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Legends of Runeterra]: Enjoy Early and Evening Engagements in this Excellent Expansion

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I got to a champion pack on the targon reward path and got another asol. Apparently I have 3 of them now?! I never crafted one lol.

Also I played a few games in plat today... And is the only deck people play kallista? I ran into 5 different kallista decks and nothing else.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I got to a champion pack on the targon reward path and got another asol. Apparently I have 3 of them now?! I never crafted one lol.

Also I played a few games in plat today... And is the only deck people play kallista? I ran into 5 different kallista decks and nothing else.

I haven't played much post-Go Hard nerf, but I'm guessing Kallista Fearsomes are back in the meta. It's always been a strong Aggro deck that stomps hard. I'm guessing it must do well against Plaza Scouts as well (the deck I figured would push to the forefront).

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Scouts loose their teeth if you can remove Miss Fortune.

• Options
    Bedlam wrote: »

If being the keyword there. She’s a tough nut to crack.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Im partial to aftershock, but theres plenty of burn that can knock out a 3 health easily.

Though my winrate is dropping significantly now that Im approaching the end of Gold rank again.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

actually the keyword in that sentence is Scout

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Scouts does the exact same thing every game. Nothing turn 1 and 2. Drop plaza if they have it on 3 and summon valor to kill something. Or drop MF with Mana to do the +2/+2 and block elusive for protection. At that point you basically need 2 burn spells or the 7 Mana kill a unit spell. But if you blow a turn killing mf you just get ran over by 4 other scouts.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Does every region have its own way to remove landmarks? Or only some regions?

• Options
    Every region has at least one card that can remove landmarks, but not all of them are practical to run. Freljord and Demacia are both stuck waiting on an 8 mana creature to deal with them, for example.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Does every region have its own way to remove landmarks? Or only some regions?
    All 8 regions have a landmark and a way to remove landmarks now.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    My opinion on the best to worst Landmark removal:
    • Scorched Earth (Noxus). 3 mana, Fast spell. Destroy the Landmark or kill a damaged unit works great for Noxus strats.
    • Aftershock (P&Z). 4 mana, Slow spell. Destroy a Landmark or deal 3 to a unit. Good flexible card.
    • Crumble (Shadow Isles). 5 mana, Slow spell. Pricey and requires a unit to die...which isn't always bad for Shadow Isles.
    • Divergent Paths (Targon). 3 mana, Fast spell. Destroy a Landmark. Clean and efficient.
    • It That Stares (Frejlord). 8 mana, 8/8 that destroys the Landmark. Better use than Arrika (see below), but still not great.
    • Captain Arrika (Demacia). 8 mana 8/6 that Captures the Landmark. Spellshield helps protect her, but the Landmark can still come back.
    • Homecoming (Ionia). 5 mana Fast spell. Pricey, doesn't destroy, and requires a unit/landmark of your own.
    • Singular Will (Ionia). 10 mana, Slow spell. Way overcosted and wipes your board too.
    • Sunk Cost (Bilgewater). 8 mana, Slow spell. It puts the Landmark/unit back into the enemies deck? Ugh...

Outside of Scorched Earth and Aftershock, most of these come out too late or are too narrow to be used in most region decks. These could all use some changes, either in cost or effect. Then again, most of the Landmarks aren't great either and hardly see play, so....

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Aftershock can hit the nexus, also.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Divergent Paths is I think probably top or second best beind Scorched Earth in that it's multi-use. It let's you run both a Landmark and an anti-landmark strat at the same time.

• Options

Oh I see what you mean now :|

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    The issue with landmark removal is that it's a tech card that usually results in a tempo loss instead of a tempo gain. Only Scorched Earth and Aftershock are really playable because they're both cheap and their other modes are useful.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    In "Truly Silly Interactions" news: I had a leveled Karma in play and, due to some Mageseeker Conservators dying earlier, both a Trueshot Barrage and a Dawn & Dusk in hand. Dawn & Dusk creates 2 ephemeral copies of a creature, so I hit Karma with it, and she dutifully copied it to give me four copies of herself. Then I cast Trueshet Barrage, and each of the five Karmas copied it for a total of six Trueshot Barrages sweeping the board.

I still lost on the next round, since I'd been at a disadvantage for several turns, but it was fun to go from "will what I think will happen, actually happen" to "oh, yeah. It's happening." I'm thinking of dropping a Dawn & Dusk in the base deck list. I almost won the game on the strength of multiple Karmas, and I could see a similarly powerful interaction if I copied Lux and had her and her duplicates all generating Final Sparks.

EDIT: BOY HOWDY DID THAT WORK OUT IMMEDIATELY.

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    Finished my Masters climb with Discard. Go Hard is nowhere to be seen since the nerf so you can play as many X/1 aggro decks as you want now, and half the ladder is free wins from Lee Sin.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I decided to try some Karma schenanigans in the Jungle Lab. Threw together a deck and went in there and god, fuck that entire mode. Has the eternal problem of labs that let you build your own deck in that it degenerates pretty quickly.

I played 5 games and ran into the same fucking deck all 5 times, from 5 different players. Like fucking everyone was playing that deck that day for some reason. Some sort of Lulu/Zed support aggro deck. Basically some sort of normally suboptimal aggro deck feeding off all the other players trying to do something interesting that actually engages with the mechanics of the lab itself.

So I came back the next day and said "Fuck it, no more being interesting or unique or actually engaging with the lab's mechanics" and just ran Plaza Scouts and beat a bunch of people down till I felt better.

• Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    Finished my Masters climb with Discard. Go Hard is nowhere to be seen since the nerf so you can play as many X/1 aggro decks as you want now, and half the ladder is free wins from Lee Sin.

Been looking for a good deck to ladder with. Is it the Jinx/Draven version or something different?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    It's the old Jinx/Draven list with Poro Cannon replacing Mystic Shot: CIBQCAYECICQCAYHBEKCONYGAECAYHBHFAWTOAICAECACDIA

I'd also recommend the new elusives deck, which is equally happy to have a meta that doesn't have infinite pings: CICQCAQEAMAQGBQRAMBAMJRLFYBQGBAFBUJAIAIEBAISOMQBAEBQICYCAEAQINABAIDCU

• Options
    Great, thanks! I'll give them a go to try and push through Platinum.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    I made it to Silver! :)

Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I got bronze with my sightly modified starter decks!

My first game in bronze was against a plaza scouts netdeck with five cosmetics :rotate:

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Yeah I backslid over the weekend due to Netdeck tryhards but that inspired me to try new stuff. Still plenty of time to climb back.

The nice thing of looking on that mobalytics site is when you have your account synched it can tell you which cards you are missing.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    I run into people playing plaza scouts in non ranked. It really doesn't matter where you play, just depends whether you actually care about your rank or not.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Finally hit diamond after bouncing through plat 1-2 for forever - Yilias is correct that no one is running Go Hard

Which means it's time to run...that's right...Go Hard

CICAEAIFGE2QEAYGBAIQEAYFAYIAMAQGAQERUHJGHIAQEAIFAEOQA

variant without ruination; +burglefish

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    I'm in Plat 3 right now. Using the Discard Aggro deck Yilias posted earlier. Haven't been doing too bad, but definitely feel like it's all or nothing (which is sort of aggro's thing).

One thing that's always been nice from the inception of the game is how good Jinx feels as a card. Like, she rewards you for having an empty hand (usually a bad thing), then provides fuel and extra burn. LoR really nailed the discard archetype better than most other CCGs have.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Two decks I've been fiddling with the last few days. First is an aggressive Noxus thing that tries to make use of the cards that care about having units with 5+ power. It's pretty low complexity, making for a good "I wanna play another round, but don't want to think too hard" sort of deck.

Second is Vaults of Helia for the combo of having a 6-cost champion out and converting it into the Rekindler to immediately get it back. Vaults took me a while to understand the pace of the deck and what the decision-making looks like before you get Vaults out. The ideal 6-cost would be Anivia, and Tryndamere is pretty badass to have at 8, but I don't have any Anivias so I'm using Lux instead. Here's my Chain o' Vaultables, by cost:
    1. Mageseeker Conservator, to queue up some big spells for Lux later on, block early, and sneak in a damage or two.
    2. Brightsteel Protector. I rarely actually play it turn 2: usually it comes out later on to block for me, and to throw barriers on more important elements of the chain.
    3. Vanguard Redeemer and Dawnspeaker. Both are solid blockers, and the fact that Vaults guarantees me a a lot of turns with dead units means I can trigger their bonuses a lot
    4. Silverwing Vanguard. This is really the start of the chain, and I picked it because it generates two copies, making it a little more likely to live. Plus, if the chain DOES end up starting with a 3 cost, it summons 2 dudes instead of 1. If Helia is keying off a 3 cost unit, I'm probably in a bad spot, so getting 2 for 1 is helpful to stabilize. Challenger makes the surviving Silverwing good for pulling the opponent's teeth.
    5. Radiant Guardian. If Helia summons it, it will always get its bonus. Lifesteal helps me pull back from the brink if I've had a rough open.
    6. Lux. Barrier lets her block, and the fact that she shows up for free via Helia means I can get her leveled up and launching Final Sparks a turn earlier than usual.
    7. The Rekindler. Lux dies, Rekindler shows up, and Rekindler brings Lux back. This is the turn you play Helia for, really.
    8. Tianna Crownguard. I'm torn on her as my 8-cost, honestly. She's a powerful unit and often helps swing the game just by attacking and blocking effectively, and sometimes things work out that she shows up on an enemy turn and her rally matters, but often she shows up on my turn and it doesn't. She was the best of the cards I had available, but I'm still mulling over who I would replace her with in an ideal world.
    9. Commander Ledros. Of course. It's a bummer that Blade of Ledros doesn't trigger when Helia summons him, but he's probably going to batter through their line regardless, and you get a chance at the blade if he dies anyway, since he comes back.

I had a lot of fun building the deck and thinking through why I wanted each creature, what role it would play in the chain, and how it would be useful if the chain got disrupted or delayed. Very different from the Noxus deck. If I had an Anivia or two, and was using Freljord, I'd probably do something like this:
    1. Omen Hawk
    2. Starlit Seer
    3. Wyrding Stones and Rimefang Wolf
    4. Unsure. Maybe Ancient Crocolith?
    5. Avarosan Hearthguard and Rimetusk Shaman
    6. Anivia
    7. The Rekindler
    8. Tryndamere
    9. Commander Ledros

This game is so good.

• Options
    Yilias and I did more ladder grind and I am now gold :) We used Ez/Draven for all my bronze/silver matches yesterday and today. What is most surprising to me is there were zero mirror matches, which I find interesting especially since this seems like a really powerful deck!

Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    i want to make a draven aggro deck but i also dont want to blow my dust before the next expansion

• Options
    I would like to make a scoot scoot plaza deck, but I have zero of the 6 champions needed :( I think I've only got 3 champ wildcards, and they're so hard to come by that I'm not sure it's worth it if I needed them to make a better deck. Right now I have 3 prime glory and I feel like I need to save my resources for right before the final call gauntlet so I can just make the best deck a week before and practicing with it then.

Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Two decks I've been fiddling with the last few days. First is an aggressive Noxus thing that tries to make use of the cards that care about having units with 5+ power. It's pretty low complexity, making for a good "I wanna play another round, but don't want to think too hard" sort of deck.

Second is Vaults of Helia for the combo of having a 6-cost champion out and converting it into the Rekindler to immediately get it back. Vaults took me a while to understand the pace of the deck and what the decision-making looks like before you get Vaults out. The ideal 6-cost would be Anivia, and Tryndamere is pretty badass to have at 8, but I don't have any Anivias so I'm using Lux instead. Here's my Chain o' Vaultables, by cost:
    1. Mageseeker Conservator, to queue up some big spells for Lux later on, block early, and sneak in a damage or two.
    2. Brightsteel Protector. I rarely actually play it turn 2: usually it comes out later on to block for me, and to throw barriers on more important elements of the chain.
    3. Vanguard Redeemer and Dawnspeaker. Both are solid blockers, and the fact that Vaults guarantees me a a lot of turns with dead units means I can trigger their bonuses a lot
    4. Silverwing Vanguard. This is really the start of the chain, and I picked it because it generates two copies, making it a little more likely to live. Plus, if the chain DOES end up starting with a 3 cost, it summons 2 dudes instead of 1. If Helia is keying off a 3 cost unit, I'm probably in a bad spot, so getting 2 for 1 is helpful to stabilize. Challenger makes the surviving Silverwing good for pulling the opponent's teeth.
    5. Radiant Guardian. If Helia summons it, it will always get its bonus. Lifesteal helps me pull back from the brink if I've had a rough open.
    6. Lux. Barrier lets her block, and the fact that she shows up for free via Helia means I can get her leveled up and launching Final Sparks a turn earlier than usual.
    7. The Rekindler. Lux dies, Rekindler shows up, and Rekindler brings Lux back. This is the turn you play Helia for, really.
    8. Tianna Crownguard. I'm torn on her as my 8-cost, honestly. She's a powerful unit and often helps swing the game just by attacking and blocking effectively, and sometimes things work out that she shows up on an enemy turn and her rally matters, but often she shows up on my turn and it doesn't. She was the best of the cards I had available, but I'm still mulling over who I would replace her with in an ideal world.
    9. Commander Ledros. Of course. It's a bummer that Blade of Ledros doesn't trigger when Helia summons him, but he's probably going to batter through their line regardless, and you get a chance at the blade if he dies anyway, since he comes back.

I had a lot of fun building the deck and thinking through why I wanted each creature, what role it would play in the chain, and how it would be useful if the chain got disrupted or delayed. Very different from the Noxus deck. If I had an Anivia or two, and was using Freljord, I'd probably do something like this:
    1. Omen Hawk
    2. Starlit Seer
    3. Wyrding Stones and Rimefang Wolf
    4. Unsure. Maybe Ancient Crocolith?
    5. Avarosan Hearthguard and Rimetusk Shaman
    6. Anivia
    7. The Rekindler
    8. Tryndamere
    9. Commander Ledros

This game is so good.

I’d swap out the Silverwing Vanguard for Grizzled Ranger. When it dies, you get the Radiant Guardian and a Loyal Badgerbear. If the Radiant dies, the Badgerbear can restart the chain by getting you another Grizzled Ranger.

Grizzled Ranger is one the best 4-drops in the game, and at Rare, should be crafted ASAP if you want to play almost any Demacia deck.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Ooh, yeah, Grizzled Ranger would fit the deck really well. Thanks!

• Options
    i can't believe grizzled ranger used to be bigger

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    pulled a tiana crownguard and a corina verza

crafted mokai and now have at least one of every champ.

and at least one of every common.

working on rares and achieving the cardback nodes in each track.

• Options
    I'm seeing a TON of Teemo decks the last couple days. Something about Teemo's giggling and the big colorful mushrooms flying around makes them just unusually grating to play against. Puffcap Peddler is a weirdly tough nut to crack, especially since the whole deck is more or less built around protecting them.

The mute button is a great feature. I don't have a problem with one at the beginning and end of the match, or after a particularly cool play, but good grief, we don't need one after every play. And if you just start mashing the button? That's a mutin'.

• Options
    This week's Vault had a 4 Commons (2 new, 2 WC), 3 Rares (1 new, 2 WC), 1 Epic (new), and 1 Champion WC. The interesting thing is that I got 2 extra copies of Champions for 750 Shards each. Would have been a big week if I didn't have almost everything already. :razz:

Only 35 Commons, 34 Rares, and 3 Epics (x2 Monastery of Hirana and x1 Scargrounds) until I have CotM at 100%.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    what

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    what

Yup. At it's launch, Grizzled Ranger was a 4-mana, 4/1 Last Breath: Summon a Badgerbear. Oh, and Badgerbear was a 3-mana 4/4.

rsky1duu1v44.png
    z8hmh9dvui0o.jpg

STATS FOR DAYS!

Also, where's @Dibby at? Has the lure of BG (and other games) kept you away from LoR? :biggrin:

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Also, where's Dibby at? Has the lure of BG (and other games) kept you away from LoR? :biggrin:

Ahh, it's mostly like.... Hmm. While I did really like the gameplay of Runeterra, I think.... I think I kinda decided like, I'm not really interested in another like, game-as-a-service type deal right now? Just this constant need to log-in and do daily and weekly quests as to not fall behind, and it's like... Ehhh, I'd rather have something more casual, more drop-in-drop-out? Which is like, yeah, that's why BGs have been quite appealing to me, cause there's no collection needed, there's no "grind", it's just login play a game or two cool!

But, I will say Runeterra definitely beats out HS as a card game, for sure. If I were at a point somewhere that I wanted something like that, I'd absolutely dig into that. But... Yknow, I mean I quit Constructed in HS too, like I'm a BG only player now right :P

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582