As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Legends of Runeterra]: Enjoy Early and Evening Engagements in this Excellent Expansion

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Neverglade Collector is driving me insane

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Also probably worth mentioning that they put up their content release schedule plans through 2021 in there. The idea is to have new cards dropping every two months at the minimum, and every six months have a bigger set drop with a new region. August is the target for the next new region starting that clock.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Also probably worth mentioning that they put up their content release schedule plans through 2021 in there. The idea is to have new cards dropping every two months at the minimum, and every six months have a bigger set drop with a new region. August is the target for the next new region starting that clock.

These regions are based on LoL lore, yeah? How many more are there?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    kime wrote: »

These regions are based on LoL lore, yeah? How many more are there?

The big ones that I could see making it in would be:
    Targon - Leona, Diana, Soraka, Pantheon, Taric, Zoe, Aurelion Sol
    Shurima - Amumu, Azir, Sivir, Rammus, Renekton, Rengar, Skarner, Taliyah, Xerath
    The Void - Cho'Gath, Kassadin, Kha'zix, Kog'maw, Malzahar, Rek'sai, Vel'koz

And then they could start dipping into the alternate reality regions, like Arcade, PROJECT, or Star Guardians.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    This wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Random thought: what if unyielding spirit said "my health can't be lowered. Whenever I would be killed stun me instead."

So, the health freeze is that you obviously wouldn't want them to keep getting lower and be permanently stunned, and this adds some counterplay to it. Even if they do get the unyielding spirit off, a radiant guardian or Fiora at 2 hp is now more vulnerable and it feels like you at least mitigated the threat. The cards you spent trying to kill her didn't die in vain.

Further, you can at least remove them from combat with removal, so it's less of a given. A Ruination would give you a one turn reprieve from their entire board, even if it's coming back later.

That's interesting! I don't have an opinion at the moment about whether the card needs to be changed, but that's a cool idea.

Today I've been trying to force Unyielding Spirit + Barrels. Fiora is in the deck but I will not use it on her, I'll die trying to get it on fucking barrels haha...

That deck is silly fun but not that good afaik.

I'd seen the idea somewhere else but just made my own deck, it's awful lol, especially because I play it so stubbornly.

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    https://youtu.be/K4c5yBqJnBM

Here's the video where they talk about what's coming in 2020 for the game. Fairly broad strokes on some new modes, not a ton of detail.

New cards every two months, new region every six. Next new region in August.

This on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Man, champless burn vs Swain/Sejuani, and I just assumed it was going to end badly for me. Managed to make it to 1 life vs 6, but also he has Swain out and leveled. I have Get Excited, Noxian Fervor, and two 1 drop champs I can't remember in hand when it goes to the top of round, my priority. Drop the Legion Rearguard or w/e it is, he passes, Noxian fervor to kill the 1 drop and deal 3 to his face, and discard the other 1 drop to Get Excited on his face. He's got full mana and cards in hand, and I'm sweating bullets he might have a fast/burst to hit me in the face with. Managed to get the win.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Random thought: what if unyielding spirit said "my health can't be lowered. Whenever I would be killed stun me instead."

So, the health freeze is that you obviously wouldn't want them to keep getting lower and be permanently stunned, and this adds some counterplay to it. Even if they do get the unyielding spirit off, a radiant guardian or Fiora at 2 hp is now more vulnerable and it feels like you at least mitigated the threat. The cards you spent trying to kill her didn't die in vain.

Further, you can at least remove them from combat with removal, so it's less of a given. A Ruination would give you a one turn reprieve from their entire board, even if it's coming back later.

That's interesting! I don't have an opinion at the moment about whether the card needs to be changed, but that's a cool idea.

Today I've been trying to force Unyielding Spirit + Barrels. Fiora is in the deck but I will not use it on her, I'll die trying to get it on fucking barrels haha...

That deck is silly fun but not that good afaik.

I'd seen the idea somewhere else but just made my own deck, it's awful lol, especially because I play it so stubbornly.

The dream is to get a super huge keg stack and then one-shot their nexus with Warning Shot.

• Options
    IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    The big ones that I could see making it in would be:
    Targon - Leona, Diana, Soraka, Pantheon, Taric, Zoe, Aurelion Sol
    Shurima - Amumu, Azir, Sivir, Rammus, Renekton, Rengar, Skarner, Taliyah, Xerath
    The Void - Cho'Gath, Kassadin, Kha'zix, Kog'maw, Malzahar, Rek'sai, Vel'koz

And then they could start dipping into the alternate reality regions, like Arcade, PROJECT, or Star Guardians.

Ixtal could definitely make it (Qiyana, Zyra, Malphite, Neeko, Nidalee, and Rengar + could always retcon a few more that would fit [like Wukong?]), and I wonder if at a certain point they wouldn't rather split Piltover and Zaun (who both have a lot of champion options). Otherwise, yeah, that's probably about it--Bandle City is the only other "faction," and I doubt they'd do it unless they're willing to move more Yordles there out of Piltover. Like...does Rumble, Veigar, Lulu, Tristana, and Yuumi really suffice for an expansion?

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Based on the data already in the files the next region is almost certainly Targon

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    FYI, Oliberate goes through Unyielding Spirit.

I just stomped a guy trying to Unyielding Keg me with a Devourer of the Depths.

• Options
    I want Annie!

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    The rate of card drops makes me feel a little uneasy. Every four months seemed good and sustainable, every two months seems a little ridiculous. The meta will never settle, you'll play something for a month, then they'll balance patch the next month, and then oh look, more cards to upset everything! Maybe if the intermediate ones are very, very small, like 1 champ, epic, rare, and common for each faction but that's still really fast.

I wonder if that's part of the plan to monetize. If you want to free to play, you can keep up with maybe three factions, but after that they're going to release so quickly you'll fall behind.

Actually everything about this seems a little insane. Are they going to redo the region tracks? If the Bilgewater expansion precedent continues, they'll add 5 levels, one of which will give you the new champion, and then a whole new track on top of that. It's going to be extremely difficult for a lot of players to keep up with that, much less new players entering a year from now.

Also, that's just an insane number of faction combinations to learn, much less champions. How is a player supposed to understand what they're getting into when they have a ridiculous combination of matchups to understand?

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    The rate of card drops makes me feel a little uneasy. Every four months seemed good and sustainable, every two months seems a little ridiculous. The meta will never settle, you'll play something for a month, then they'll balance patch the next month, and then oh look, more cards to upset everything! Maybe if the intermediate ones are very, very small, like 1 champ, epic, rare, and common for each faction but that's still really fast.

I wonder if that's part of the plan to monetize. If you want to free to play, you can keep up with maybe three factions, but after that they're going to release so quickly you'll fall behind.

Actually everything about this seems a little insane. Are they going to redo the region tracks? If the Bilgewater expansion precedent continues, they'll add 5 levels, one of which will give you the new champion, and then a whole new track on top of that. It's going to be extremely difficult for a lot of players to keep up with that, much less new players entering a year from now.

Also, that's just an insane number of faction combinations to learn, much less champions. How is a player supposed to understand what they're getting into when they have a ridiculous combination of matchups to understand?

From the start they seem to have made not letting the meta settle a priority.

Every 2 month is (potentially) too fast imo too. 1 faction every 6 months feels good. New card drops every 3 months between that would also be good I think. Every 2 months could work if it's small though.

As for leveling up the factions, they did add a faction reward level boost for ones that were way behind and it was quite effective. And the new levels added are actually pretty small XP-wise. I think if you keep playing all the time, you could probably keep up. If you started behind though you may never catch up.

Maybe they add less levels for the mini-card-drops between region drops though and it's not much of an issue.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Put me in the camp of more cards, more often. I don’t mind if a meta gets blitzed very 6-8 weeks.

Hearthstone had 4-month gaps and the meta was usually solved in a month. It made the following 3 months quite boring. Now, they did get smart and add new content and occasional card drops between sets, but it never felt quite right.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    The sounds the arcade board makes are very annoying, please nerf

• Options
    edited May 2020
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Put me in the camp of more cards, more often. I don’t mind if a meta gets blitzed very 6-8 weeks.

Hearthstone had 4-month gaps and the meta was usually solved in a month. It made the following 3 months quite boring. Now, they did get smart and add new content and occasional card drops between sets, but it never felt quite right.

This kind of surprises me from you Dover, being a fellow fighting game fan. I really like it when a meta can breathe and players find out new stuff and can determine counters organically. Now, I think there can be a balance between the fighting game "patches every few years if you're lucky" and every two months.

And cards bother me more than patches. The last balance patch is offering diversity in the meta game without the need to acquire more stuff. I also think the breakneck pace makes it a lot harder for casual fans to follow.

My initial thought is that maybe they'll release the new faction and only that, then release half of the remaining factions two months later, and then the rest two months after, but that's a long time to wait if your favorite faction is in the last group. I think it has to be something like that though because they mentioned champs would be in the smaller sets. If every faction gets one champion every card drop, we'd have 10 factions with 11 champs after one year, a pace that is not really sustainable supposing they keep to the league pool. I'm just afraid it'll lead to too much too soon and burn out.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    Yeah, I don’t think the small drops of cards will be very... well, large. Just a little splash to shake things up a bit. I’d be surprised if they even had a new champion in those.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    To be fair, my hardcore fighting game days were from 1991-2004. After that, all the games felt too similar and boring. SF4 brought it back a bit, but I never did the whole deep dive into training mode for hours to learn 1-2 frame links. That’s a young man’s game and I know longer care to “get gud”.

I like what they’re planning for LoR. For players that like longer times to let the meta settle in, there is Hearthstone and MTG:Arena.

Having a constantly shifting meta is certainly chaotic, but keeps things from getting stale. And unless the smaller card releases are really big, I can’t see them shaking things up too much.

It’s hard to speculate how it’ll turn out until we see it in action. So far Riot has been on point with a majority of their decisions, so I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    On playing tonight: geez, deep decks galore. Well, In gold bracket anyways...

BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Yeah, I don’t think the small drops of cards will be very... well, large. Just a little splash to shake things up a bit. I’d be surprised if they even had a new champion in those.

They mentioned in the videos the smaller drops will have champs.
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    To be fair, my hardcore fighting game days were from 1991-2004. After that, all the games felt too similar and boring. SF4 brought it back a bit, but I never did the whole deep dive into training mode for hours to learn 1-2 frame links. That’s a young man’s game and I know longer care to “get gud”.

I like what they’re planning for LoR. For players that like longer times to let the meta settle in, there is Hearthstone and MTG:Arena.

Having a constantly shifting meta is certainly chaotic, but keeps things from getting stale. And unless the smaller card releases are really big, I can’t see them shaking things up too much.

It’s hard to speculate how it’ll turn out until we see it in action. So far Riot has been on point with a majority of their decisions, so I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Magic is in a terrible spot right now I feel, standard is super unfun, so it's not a great option I feel. I guess we'll see how big the releases are, how they structure those could wildly change my opinion. I still feel like 10 factions is kind of a lot.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    I'm playing Karma/Ezreal because playing a deck I know is tier 1 is a nice reprieve from how terribly I've been doing goofing off and it's still something that I didn't play so it's still new to me. The deck feels scummy as hell sometimes. Just killed a guy 20-0 over basically two action windows. Swung with Ezreal, used the bonus mystic shot at his dome with Karma out. 12 hp. Untapped, he open attacks, I mystic shot and throw off a couple burst spells. Bye bye! I've been on the other end of that and man it feels bad. He basically had it won if his board was allowed to attack. On the other hand, he never really had a chance at the end. I had a hand full of spells and spells to draw more spells.

• Options
    I'm playing Karma/Ezreal because playing a deck I know is tier 1 is a nice reprieve from how terribly I've been doing goofing off and it's still something that I didn't play so it's still new to me. The deck feels scummy as hell sometimes. Just killed a guy 20-0 over basically two action windows. Swung with Ezreal, used the bonus mystic shot at his dome with Karma out. 12 hp. Untapped, he open attacks, I mystic shot and throw off a couple burst spells. Bye bye! I've been on the other end of that and man it feels bad. He basically had it won if his board was allowed to attack. On the other hand, he never really had a chance at the end. I had a hand full of spells and spells to draw more spells.

I had a guy that let a mob through that he could have traded, leaving him on 3 and me on 5, he would have had lethal next turn, but I had a decimate in hand and had saved casting until after the attack phase. I felt a little bad knowing he should have blocked, dropped basically anything and swung to face for the win.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Brody wrote: »

I had a guy that let a mob through that he could have traded, leaving him on 3 and me on 5, he would have had lethal next turn, but I had a decimate in hand and had saved casting until after the attack phase. I felt a little bad knowing he should have blocked, dropped basically anything and swung to face for the win.

Yeah that shit always feels bad. I also feel bad for people who don't block as a backup thinking that their spell will kill my creature and then you deny or buff them out of range and now it's just unblocked and you die now.

• Options
    edited May 2020

Yeah, I hate these deck archetypes because they are basically just not letting the other guy ever do anything and then comboing them down without them being able to stop you. It feels super shitty to play against imo.

I ran into a Heimer/Vi deck I almost beat that had a similar feel. The denial is brutal. Vi is stupidly powerful.

shryke on
  • Options
    If I have two Vi, and basically whatever came in the starter stuff, is there an otherwise budget build I could look into?

• Options

Yeah that shit always feels bad. I also feel bad for people who don't block as a backup thinking that their spell will kill my creature and then you deny or buff them out of range and now it's just unblocked and you die now.

I think both of those are perfectly good learning experiences though. I’ve went through all of them. There are still people out there that don’t know if you kill or a blocker vs Overwhelm units, that full damage is coming through.

Had a guy lose a game because I dragged his Keg out with my Gangplank and attacked with a 5/5. He blocked the 5/5, then cast a damage spell which cause his Keg to explode, which gave me the one damage I needed for lethal.

Sure, he probably would have lost anyway, but I’ve had lots of 1hp comeback wins.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

Yeah, I hate these deck archetypes because they are basically just not letting the other guy ever do anything and then comboing them down without them being able to stop you. It feels super shitty to play against imo.

I ran into a Heimer/Vi deck I almost beat that had a similar feel. The denial is brutal. Vi is stupidly powerful.

Yeah I think Ezreal could use a cap on his ability. Twice per turn, or maybe make it a 1 damage ping instead of two?

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    If I have two Vi, and basically whatever came in the starter stuff, is there an otherwise budget build I could look into?

You can slot her in Garen's place and run Bannermen, that's a pretty cheap deck, particularly because you have a few options to replace Fiora if you have none of those and don't want to craft her.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular

Probably Bannerman with Vi added. I know one of the starter decks had a Garen but I don't remember what else is in there.

13 rares, 24 commons, Garen and the Vi's.

3 Cithria of Cloudfield
    3 Fleetfeather Tracker
    3 Mystic Shot
    3 Single Combat
    3 Brightsteel Protector
    3 War Chefs
    3 Laurent Protege
    3 Loyal Badgerbear
    1 Vanguard Sergeant
    3 Riposte
    3 Grizzled Ranger
    3 Vanguard Bannerman
    1 Garen
    3 Swiftwing Lancer
    2 Vi

Priority would be dropping Vanguard Sergeant and Mystics Shot for Cithria the Bold.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    I am convinced that Bannerman is just too honest in this current environment. After a lackluster start to my session I completed my deal with the devil and brought Karma/Lux into ranked, followed by a quick (well, not quick at all) 5-0 sweep to swing into the next tier.

I have had a lifelong enmity towards control decks, but I should have realized sooner that just because I don't enjoy playing against them doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy playing them. It's actually mad fun, you're not just pitching out removal all early game, you actually have to scrap and trade to try to survive until 10, with an opponent that almost certainly knows to gun it from the jump.

Most outrageous moment of the night was probably generating a Redoubled Valor off of Karma at the end of round 9, then dumping the Re-Redoubled Valor on her to make a 20/16 Karma (I forget how she got a +1/+1 somewhere in there) and snag a pair of Final Sparks at the same time.

• Options
    Kasyn wrote: »
    I am convinced that Bannerman is just too honest in this current environment. After a lackluster start to my session I completed my deal with the devil and brought Karma/Lux into ranked, followed by a quick (well, not quick at all) 5-0 sweep to swing into the next tier.

I have had a lifelong enmity towards control decks, but I should have realized sooner that just because I don't enjoy playing against them doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy playing them. It's actually mad fun, you're not just pitching out removal all early game, you actually have to scrap and trade to try to survive until 10, with an opponent that almost certainly knows to gun it from the jump.

Most outrageous moment of the night was probably generating a Redoubled Valor off of Karma at the end of round 9, then dumping the Re-Redoubled Valor on her to make a 20/16 Karma (I forget how she got a +1/+1 somewhere in there) and snag a pair of Final Sparks at the same time.

Naw Bannermen is super good right now. Yeah Karma/Ez is fun to play, you just feel so filthy.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    So close to graduating from Silver 1 but goddamn I'm having to slam my face through non-stop Tier 1 netdecks every game. And most of those decks are the most irritating decks to play against.

I managed to just eek out 2 wins in a row against Heimer/Vi and Karma/Lux and fuck those people.

The Karma/Lux game was especially funny because he got his full combo out and started to try and get his combos going. But I devourer of the depths his Karma, which made him drop his deny and 4 mana, so then I exploited his lack of mana to double grasp his karma down, then Devourer his lux and clear his board. Then next turn I drop a maokai and level him by throwing the sapling into one of his units and milled his ass. He drops his second and final Karma and tries to Deep Meditation but only gets a single spell out of his remaining 4 cards. That's when he gives up.

Gonna give up for now though as it's way too fucking sweaty on ladder right now.

shryke on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Did Shadow Isles replace Demacia as the big region in Expedition? It’s like, half my games now.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    So close to graduating from Silver 1 but goddamn I'm having to slam my face through non-stop Tier 1 netdecks every game. And most of those decks are the most irritating decks to play against.

I managed to just eek out 2 wins in a row against Heimer/Vi and Karma/Lux and fuck those people.

The Karma/Lux game was especially funny because he got his full combo out and started to try and get his combos going. But I devourer of the depths his Karma, which made him drop his deny and 4 mana, so then I exploited his lack of mana to double grasp his karma down, then Devourer his lux and clear his board. Then next turn I drop a maokai and level him by throwing the sapling into one of his units and milled his ass. He drops his second and final Karma and tries to Deep Meditation but only gets a single spell out of his remaining 4 cards. That's when he gives up.

Gonna give up for now though as it's way too fucking sweaty on ladder right now.

Yeah I'm concerned about when my super-budget deck starts hitting a wall.... Low silver so far, so sounds like it's coming up soon :D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I'm running a mono-frejlord+Vi deck in gold teir and I gotta say, it's pretty funny to be carried to victory by 7/8 bull Elnuks with trample, although I still haven't lived the dream of the avarosan outrider triggering the +3/3 trample buff on the Vi

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    If you crafted GP and Rex I can recommend this deck. The dude on reddit said he got masters with it, I'm hardstuck plat but it seems decent. The idea is you hit them in the face and then kill them on turns 8-10 with GP/Rex/damage spells, which makes a lot more sense to me than the other GP deck concepts I've seen. The downside of course is that if the game goes much longer than that you're sol.
    CEBAIAIED4TTINQIAIDAICYPCYQC2OR4AEBAEBQ4EYAA

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Current new hotness at low diamond is MF/sejuani; think I've played 3 mirror matches of it over 4 games

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I'm running a mono-frejlord+Vi deck in gold teir and I gotta say, it's pretty funny to be carried to victory by 7/8 bull Elnuks with trample, although I still haven't lived the dream of the avarosan outrider triggering the +3/3 trample buff on the Vi

Pretty good turn 6 board