As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] Game Pass - 10 million subscribers and counting

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    So, the Bless Unleashed beta ends tomorrow morning, and I did not get the title for clearing the all the dungeons available in the beta. Between lengthy matchmaking and a gearscore deficit just... couldn't pull it through. In an alternate timeline, the one guy that actually did well with me in the duo arena actually chose to use his seeds (currency for ressing, etc) instead of bleeding out several time, and I would have gotten further, but eh. So it goes. I'd rather sleep tonight. Had a real heartbreaker loss on the last dungeon attempt too that kind of snapped the drive.

I think had I not spent so much time early on with crafting cycles, would have had enough time to kinda do some gearscore grinding to actually do the content at a proper level. The grind due to them cutting some of the story/side quest stuff didn't help either, esp solo. Last dungeons were the equivalent of first time doing end game content below the current light level cap, more or less, real gear checky.

Kind of bummed I didn't take pictures of my character creation configuration though, but eh. Still dunno if I'm doing hte full game until I find out how they are working that PVP stuff.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I keep getting errors “there was a problem with your saved games” on various games over the past few days. Sometimes it resolves but so far my Ashen saved files haven’t come back

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    The Guardian has an interview with Phil Spencer. Not full of revelations or anything but it's a good read.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    The Guardian has an interview with Phil Spencer. Not full of revelations or anything but it's a good read.

It is. Though, as you'd expect, The Guardian's headline for the article is very much a hook with quite a different context in the rest of the article. Still worth reading though.

• Options
    That headline is something that's said by various people every generation, it barely even registers any more for me even if it's someone like Phil saying it.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    looks like Borderlands 3 is one of this weeks Free Play titles. so if you've been holding off or just unsure on it now is a good time to give it a go. should be on sale through the weekend too.

• Options
    So... xCloud streaming will suffer performance issues in many of the same areas and circumstances that other streaming services also suffer reduced performance.

Would love to see what his bw usage was for that period from just xcloud though.

• Options
    So... xCloud streaming will suffer performance issues in many of the same areas and circumstances that other streaming services also suffer reduced performance.

It isn't magic, after all. In the end of the day, your sending player inputs from the user to the server blades and A/V from the server blades back to the user, and everything in between.

Microsoft just happens to be a company that's has several years experience with with experimentation with game streaming, going back to the Xbox 360. Plus, they own a huge amount of server infrastructure that they've licensed out use of for a while now.

Then again, so does Google. At least for that second part.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Whoever was looking for headsets Sony gold headset is on sale for 69.99 on black Friday. Pretty sure you can't get it to work wirelessly but a damn nice headset

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I believe the HyperX Cloud 2s are currently on sale for $70 as well, which are damn solid headphones. Nothing real fancy, just comfy, sturdy, and good sounding, and you can remove the mic if you just want some music headphones

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

It is. Though, as you'd expect, The Guardian's headline for the article is very much a hook with quite a different context in the rest of the article. Still worth reading though.

Speaking of such, here's another one!

https://www.resetera.com/threads/phil-no-taste-spencer-likes-pineapple-pizza.153660/

I guess I never considered it, but bacon is just a better version of ham on Hawaiian pizza, and that Plus Jalapenos sounds incredible

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    To be fair, pineapple + jalapeno pizza is, like, my go-to "I can't be assed to cook, and I just had Thai last night" dinner.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Why dontcha just put raspberry jam on it, too?

• Options
    Why don't people like pineapple on pizza? It's fine. Pineapple and bacon and/or ham is good stuff... though I haven't been able to find a pizza shop that does it with right ratios and amounts anymore. Which sucks.

Like.. if Pizza Hut or Domino's is stacking the ham/bacon and pineapple on more than you, you're doing something wrong.

Though I really think "pineapple pizza is bad" is a meme reaction more than anything now.

• Options
    Hmm. I'm pro-pineapple, and pro-jalapeno, but I've not combined the two. Sounds interesting, I sense a project brewing.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Pineapple is good on pizza, but I have to be in the right mood. I'm a simple man, cheese or pepperoni is pretty much the way to go 90% of the time.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Pepperoni depends greatly on the quality of the pepperoni used. When it gets delivered with bowls of grease on top it's just... nah.

So I rarely do pepperoni unless I know the shop.

ediT: don't think I've ever had a bad tasting pepperoni pizza, but I have had my fair share of slices wherein I have to put a paper towel or something on top for a bit before trying to pick it up. hah.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Bacon/Pineapple/Jalapeno is really good. I recommend like, one other thing on there to go with the bacon though, like pepperoni or sausage or something. Bacon is more of a condiment I feel, not so much a full topping.

Mushrooms maybe; olives are good too.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Pineapple is just bad, whether on pizza, in fruit salad, raw, grilled and tossed on a burger, or any other way people try to hide it. Please miss me with all its forms, also subscribe to my newsletter for more takes on bananas.
    RickRude wrote: »
    Whoever was looking for headsets Sony gold headset is on sale for 69.99 on black Friday. Pretty sure you can't get it to work wirelessly but a damn nice headset

That'd be me. Not sure if I put it in my original post but wireless is pretty important to me. For my usage case, (I game in my bed, sometimes the baby is there and if it's at night my spouse is there) wireless is almost a must have.

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »
    Pineapple is just bad, whether on pizza, in fruit salad, raw, grilled and tossed on a burger, or any other way people try to hide it. Please miss me with all its forms, also subscribe to my newsletter for more takes on bananas.

That'd be me. Not sure if I put it in my original post but wireless is pretty important to me. For my usage case, (I game in my bed, sometimes the baby is there and if it's at night my spouse is there) wireless is almost a must have.

Pineapples and bananas bad? Found the Skrull!

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

Pineapples and bananas bad? Found the Skrull!

There's not a single aspect of bananas that doesn't make me want to vomit. There was also a solid 2 years where the only thing my oldest would eat for breakfast was sliced bananas. It was a dark time.

• Options

Speaking of such, here's another one!

https://www.resetera.com/threads/phil-no-taste-spencer-likes-pineapple-pizza.153660/

I guess I never considered it, but bacon is just a better version of ham on Hawaiian pizza, and that Plus Jalapenos sounds incredible

Jesus. Now I have to sell my Xbox, games, and that black Xbox coffee mug I own with the color changing 'X'.

I don't suppose there are still any Sony stores open in my region, are there?

• Options
    Now I want pizza, man. That's not fair.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I try to not pull the "there are more important things to worry about" regarding people's hobbies, but for the life of me I just cannot give less of a shit about pizza topping wars. It's like the Achilles heel of my patience. Put pineapple on pizza! Or don't! It doesn't matter, get what you like!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    i mean I've had some stuff that turns out, didn't go on pizza. But usually that's due to logistics, like "oh hey I guess those just fall off" or "aw, it got all soggy..." kind of thing.

Otherwise, one of my favorites was roasted chicken and potato. Tuna was also pretty decent that one time. Peas were awkward. Mayo always works as a condiment. Oh, and gyro meat, despite being delicious, is actually really inconvenient 'cause it develops pools of solid grease, and not in the good way. Asparagus is always great, though occasionally awkward to take a bite if it's whole spears.

God dammit, I REALLY want a pizza.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    dporowski wrote: »
    Bacon/Pineapple/Jalapeno is really good. I recommend like, one other thing on there to go with the bacon though, like pepperoni or sausage or something. Bacon is more of a condiment I feel, not so much a full topping.

I do wonder what using thick cut bacon would be like, though. I've never had it because the vast majority of bacon I've ever had is deli sliced

Anyway, Phil Spencer is great and the Xbox is in good hands. All he needs to do now is buy Mistwalker and we'll be set for next gen

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options

I do wonder what using thick cut bacon would be like, though. I've never had it because the vast majority of bacon I've ever had is deli sliced

Anyway, Phil Spencer is great and the Xbox is in good hands. All he needs to do now is buy Mistwalker and we'll be set for next gen

Mistwalker is so far up mobile gaming's rear end that I forgot it even existed. I think they're making an Apple Arcade game now?

• Options

It works okay; my problem with it is the vast majority of bacony goodness is in the fat, which doesn't leave you the amount of chew I want in my meat pizza toppings. So the taste is great, but you just feel a little unfulfilled. (Assuming they cook it properly; sometimes it comes out floppy if they put it on the pizza raw before cooking, and I'm a crispy man.)

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Pineapple is good on pizza, but I have to be in the right mood. I'm a simple man, cheese or pepperoni is pretty much the way to go 90% of the time.

Pineapple and pepperoni is life

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Lately, I've been trying to figure out what balances well with anchovies on a pizza. I've only had it like, twice, and while I liked it well enough, I can't take very much of it in one go.

I've heard the acidity of pineapple and tomatoes might help cut through some of that, maybe add mushrooms to further balance it out, though others have leaned in the other direction -- adding salty and/or spicy stuff like bacon, sausage, or jalapeño, but that's not the direction I'm interested in.

Others still try to complement it with Caesar salad stuff (since anchovies are used in Caesar dressing), like chicken, garlic/garlic base, and Parmesan cheese.

On the subject of Xbox, I tried tinkering with my new Xbox Avatar earlier. Still no cat prop, so I'm sticking with my Original Xbox Avatar. I also tried searching for a trench coat to no avail -- amusingly, a search for "coat" brought back a lot of "cat" stuff.

I was going to use the request/feedback form, which opened Edge... and apparently it doesn't work anymore?

I'm disappointed. I was really looking forward to the new Avatars (what can I say? I like a good character creator), but it feels like the support the originals had (Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformers backwards compatibility notwithstanding) just isn't here.

Do any games even use the new Avatars?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    I find this amusing because I don't particularly like pizza at all.

• Options

Mistwalker is so far up mobile gaming's rear end that I forgot it even existed. I think they're making an Apple Arcade game now?

The last time I looked them up they were deep into repping their Terra Battle cinematic universe or whatever the fuck.
    I mean, if it's what Sakaguchi wants I don't blame him, dude's probably spent most of his energy on his younger years pumping out massive RPGs and not much else. But just imagine seeing another classic JRPG flagship with Microsoft money. Lost Odyssey 2!

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

You're fired.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Lately, I've been trying to figure out what balances well with anchovies on a pizza. I've only had it like, twice, and while I liked it well enough, I can't take very much of it in one go.

I've heard the acidity of pineapple and tomatoes might help cut through some of that, maybe add mushrooms to further balance it out, though others have leaned in the other direction -- adding salty and/or spicy stuff like bacon, sausage, or jalapeño, but that's not the direction I'm interested in.

Others still try to complement it with Caesar salad stuff (since anchovies are used in Caesar dressing), like chicken, garlic/garlic base, and Parmesan cheese.

If you can find a fancy place that can do pizza with a pesto base, try that. I found the marinara was producing a weird clash with the anchovies.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Got an invite for Xcloud beta. Tried it out. I don't think it likes my connection, it looks and sounds worse than Onlive did years ago.
    Definitely one of those YMMV things. Probably works much better for Americans?

The seamless way it imports your saves is definitely one killer advantage over Stadia, at least. I can see they've really thought this through and tried, at least.

Pineapple on pizza is great. (How long are we going to run with this tangent/comedy bit?) :P :lol:

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I'm a little bummed out that Obsidian's next thing is grounded, that didn't look at all interesting to me. I've been using game pass a bunch and snagging games I would not otherwise have purchased or tried like Portia and Cold Vambrace, it's perhaps a little thin on PC but still pretty goddamn keen.

Pineapple on pizza is terrible, and some local monster thought it up. Oh well, every hero has to have a flaw I suppose.

Nosf on
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular

You're fired.

I think the kids are calling it "cancelled" these days. And yeah, Synthesis is super cancelled.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So my son wants an Xbox One for Christmas, and the other kid says she wants that as well. Is the Game Pass Ultimate worthwhile - my understanding is it includes Live Gold and access to certain games for free and some discounts on others? How often do games cycle in/out? Are they short term or long term?

Same question for EA Access.

Are there bundles that include 2 controllers? Can't seem to find any.

Bigity on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Bigity wrote: »
    So my son wants an Xbox One for Christmas, and the other kid says she wants that as well. Is the Game Pass Ultimate worthwhile - my understanding is it includes Live Gold and access to certain games for free and some discounts on others.

Same question for EA Access.

Are there bundles that include 2 controllers? Can't seem to find any.

Do you have a Costco membership? I had a hunch and found this.

EDIT - Alternatively, if you have no qualms shopping at Wal-Mart, there's the Xbone S with a couple EA Sports titles and 2 controllers.

EDIT2 - changed the Wal-Mart link to a different product. Turns out the original one I linked to was being sold by a third-party and offered through Wal-Mart Warehouse Marketplace or whatever it's called.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |