As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] Game Pass - 10 million subscribers and counting

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    If you think of Phil as saying that VR gaming in its current state is basically as big of a niche failure as Bayonetta 2 on the Wii U, he was totally right.

86oq95n4dkx2.gif

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Phoenix Point isn't on Game Pass at launch due to unforeseen issues, and will be unavailable for some time: https://forums.snapshotgames.com/t/microsoft-game-pass-and-microsoft-store-info/5933
    Specifically, we are currently unable to make the same content available on Microsoft’s platform that is available to players on other platforms. Since we want to make sure all players have access to all versions of Phoenix Point regardless of where they choose to play, we need to get this working before we can release.

This issue was not anticipated by us and has caused unexpected delay over and above our delay waiting for certification. We had hoped to have Game Pass players, at least, up and running today, but it now seems like there will be further delays. We do not have an ETA for Phoenix Point on Game Pass or the Windows Store yet. Please know we are working as hard and as quickly as possible with our partners at Microsoft to resolve these issues and will keep you informed.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    boy these guys do not seem to know what they are doing

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    "...we are currently unable to make the same content available on Microsoft’s platform that is available to players on other platforms" seems possibly incompatible with "We had hoped to have Game Pass players, at least, up and running today".

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Scottsman should've said so then, but then it wouldn't have sounded weird either.

As for pedantry being unnecessary...where do you think we are? :lol:

If you're going to pendant, at least read the whole post. I said "basically a Switch exclusive now" :rotate:

But seriously, don't be a goose, you know exactly what I meant. :razz: Whether the game franchise is a switch exclusive or a Nintendo exclusive, my point stands that I personally find it weird they're still putting out the first game on other platforms when the sequels are never going to reach those platforms.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Scottsman should've said so then, but then it wouldn't have sounded weird either.

If you're going to pendant, at least read the whole post. I said "basically a Switch exclusive now" :rotate:

But seriously, don't be a goose, you know exactly what I meant. :razz: Whether the game franchise is a switch exclusive or a Nintendo exclusive, my point stands that I personally find it weird they're still putting out the first game on other platforms when the sequels are never going to reach those platforms.

I don't have a dog in this race, but it makes sense that only the ones Nintendo helped fund would be off limits. The original was and is on a ton of other platforms, so I doubt Nintendo cares what they do with it.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Plus it's a rad as hell game, put it on everything

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options

I don't have a dog in this race, but it makes sense that only the ones Nintendo helped fund would be off limits. The original was and is on a ton of other platforms, so I doubt Nintendo cares what they do with it.

Since when does "now" mean one half the franchise isn't included? When we're literally discussing the promotion of another re-release? :rotate: Next time, if you mean "Only Bayonetta 2 and Wii U doesn't count," say it, don't be a goose.

Also, I had to look up what Phoenix Point is.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    "...we are currently unable to make the same content available on Microsoft’s platform that is available to players on other platforms" seems possibly incompatible with "We had hoped to have Game Pass players, at least, up and running today".

I wonder what content they had on other platforms that wasn't available on Microsoft's platform... and how they thought that wouldn't have been something of a hurdle.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options

I wonder what content they had on other platforms that wasn't available on Microsoft's platform... and how they thought that wouldn't have been something of a hurdle.

And how they were unable to make it available, which you'd think they'd know ahead of time, yet still hoped to have it up and running today.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    OH man... I just checked out their reddit.

q8smji52d0uo.png

HEARTS AND MINDS, man... HEARTS AND MINDS.

that was goosy commentary that maybe you didn't need to respond to, community manager.

edit: if you haven't heard of it and the state of things isn't too off putting, this post of tips can give you a good feel of how the game's gameplay flows too, seems interesting, but IDK.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    I'm no longer trapped at my desk whilst recovering from a cold, so I just recalled: anyone else get the new dashboard UI update? It's subtle, but has go full vertical arrangement, taking away the horizontal pages? It was active for a week or two literally months ago before being pulled? Comes with a fancy Xbox One X wallpaper if you don't sign in? Just me?

q8smji52d0uo.png

that was goosy commentary that maybe you didn't need to respond to, community manager.

edit: if you haven't heard of it and the state of things isn't too off putting, this post of tips can give you a good feel of how the game's gameplay flows too, seems interesting, but IDK.

Wow. Speaking of slow moving train wrecks, this reminded me that MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries will be out soon (on PC, to be clear)...after being delayed from September. Oh boy. Though back to this....it's an X-Com-like game (it's probably unfair to say clone though the emphasis on alien invasion does look fairly similar compared to the proposed Gears of War take on the formula). That explains how it completely escaped my notice.

I suppose it's surprising we don't get more cases of this on Game Pass, as more and more Indie Games use it as a proving ground. Outer Wilds has been on Game Pass so long, it's not surprising that even some of the ending states weren't fully patched in earlier on.

• Options
    I get the new dash updates but I think I bumped myself out of the alpha ring because I was having some issues with startup

I barely notice the changes these days though, I go right into the games from the Guide

• Options
    I'm also always signed in on my Xbox, and I use that app that changes the background to different photos of space

• Options
    I'd settle for the ability to use a custom wallpaper without added compression artifacts. Come on, Xbox! It's not that big! It's a JPEG!

• Options
    edited December 2019
    I'm no longer trapped at my desk whilst recovering from a cold, so I just recalled: anyone else get the new dashboard UI update? It's subtle, but has go full vertical arrangement, taking away the horizontal pages? It was active for a week or two literally months ago before being pulled? Comes with a fancy Xbox One X wallpaper if you don't sign in? Just me?

https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/9d/q8smji52d0uo.png

Wow. Speaking of slow moving train wrecks, this reminded me that MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries will be out soon (on PC, to be clear)...after being delayed from September. Oh boy. Though back to this....it's an X-Com-like game (it's probably unfair to say clone though the emphasis on alien invasion does look fairly similar compared to the proposed Gears of War take on the formula). That explains how it completely escaped my notice.

I suppose it's surprising we don't get more cases of this on Game Pass, as more and more Indie Games use it as a proving ground. Outer Wilds has been on Game Pass so long, it's not surprising that even some of the ending states weren't fully patched in earlier on.

They were on Fig, not Kickstarter. Still debating pissing money away on Fig, ha.

According to their Fig thing:
    Snapshot Games Inc. was established in 2013 by Julian Gollop, veteran designer of the original X-COM games, and David Kaye, the founder of Gaming Insiders. In 2014 we raised $210k on Kickstarter for our first project, Chaos Reborn, and we set up a studio in Sofia, Bulgaria, where Julian has been living for 11 years. Snapshot Games Sofia is a team of 9 talented developers with many years experience, including veterans for Ubisoft Sofia, Crytek Black Sea and other Bulgarian studios.

So they were on Kickstarter for a different product ha... anyhoo, part X-COM DNA comes from that I suppose. The base building, random soldiers and sending people out on missions is a draw for me... seeing as I'm only doing that with Fallout Shelter atm. I do like those loops. If it has a story to it too, all the better.

ediT: aw, PC only. my poor Surface Pro wouldn't be able to play it and I'm still debating buying another laptop with Windows 10 or buying a new Surface Pro. :so_raven:

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I'm also always signed in on my Xbox, and I use that app that changes the background to different photos of space

APOD? That quit working for me which was quite disappointing.

• Options

APOD? That quit working for me which was quite disappointing.

It stopped for a while, had to reinstall and re-enable

• Options
    ediT: aw, PC only. my poor Surface Pro wouldn't be able to play it and I'm still debating buying another laptop with Windows 10 or buying a new Surface Pro. :so_raven:

Really? I thought I read in the promo material it was coming to Xbox Game Pass as well as PC! Hmm, perhaps I misunderstood the language. :lol:

On the other topic...get another Surface Pro. You know you want that ultra-high portability. One of us. ONE OF US.

(Or you could spend a small fortune and get a Surface Book 2.)

• Options

Since when does "now" mean one half the franchise isn't included? When we're literally discussing the promotion of another re-release? :rotate: Next time, if you mean "Only Bayonetta 2 and Wii U doesn't count," say it, don't be a goose.

I did that. There's a reason I used the language I did.

I specifically used the word basically, indicating that what I said was mostly true in regards to the statement I was making, which it is; those games, besides the first (which is the anomaly the prompted my comment) are only coming out on the Switch now. Again, now is also important modifier to what I was saying. While Bayo2 came out on the WiiU, it did so years ago. They're not going to put Bayo3 on the WiiU; they're not going to put out Bayo2 on the WiiU again. That's the past. That's not now. Right now Bayonetta 3 is in production for the Switch and the Switch only. It's a Switch franchise now, basically.

You might as well chide me for not taking into account that eventually the Switch will be a dead platform and future Bayonetta games will come out on the Switch 2 or whatever.

• Options
    edited December 2019

I specifically used the word basically, indicating that what I said was mostly true in regards to the statement I was making, which it is; those games, besides the first (which is the anomaly the prompted my comment) are only coming out on the Switch now. Again, now is also important modifier to what I was saying. While Bayo2 came out on the WiiU, it did so years ago. They're not going to put Bayo3 on the WiiU; they're not going to put out Bayo2 on the WiiU again. That's the past. That's not now. Right now Bayonetta 3 is in production for the Switch and the Switch only. It's a Switch franchise now, basically.

You might as well chide me for not taking into account that eventually the Switch will be a dead platform and future Bayonetta games will come out on the Switch 2 or whatever.

Christ, man, you've broken the back of "now" with that. At the very least "In the future" would've established you were discounting the first game in a discussion of the first game. Now it was coming to the Xbox again.
    I get the new dash updates but I think I bumped myself out of the alpha ring because I was having some issues with startup

I barely notice the changes these days though, I go right into the games from the Guide

It's an organizational change--I assume it's rolling out for everyone, but I said that about the last time it appeared (and I forget which precise ring I'm in). No more horizontal pages, just extending out the vertical slides further down and more "last played." Kind of like the PS4 UI in that regard.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    It doesn't help that the Bayonetta situation is pretty unique, in that it's not really first party... Nintendo is helping fund them in exchange for exclusivity, but we don't know if that agreement is forever. I recall the most recent Dead Rising games having a similar deal, on Microsoft let them be released elsewhere after not long after their release. Who knows the nature of the deal, but I don't think Nintendo really owns the brand or anything... It's still Platinum game, they're just doing each other a solid.

So when you say basically, that basically doesn't really cover the first game... Which Nintendo had really nothing to do with

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    It doesn't help that the Bayonetta situation is pretty unique, in that it's not really first party... Nintendo is helping fund them in exchange for exclusivity, but we don't know if that agreement is forever. I recall the most recent Dead Rising games having a similar deal, on Microsoft let them be released elsewhere after not long after their release. Who knows the nature of the deal, but I don't think Nintendo really owns the brand or anything... It's still Platinum game, they're just doing each other a solid.

So when you say basically, that basically doesn't really cover the first game... Which Nintendo had really nothing to do with

The implication is that Nintendo owns Bayonetta as an IP? I really couldn't weigh in on that.

So, not to take away from this thrilling discussion about how the Wii U was erased from history now that I'm no longer trapped at my desk, but this is the most complete list I've seen of Project xCloud/Xbox Game Streaming games--all of which are in the preview--I've seen so far.
    • ARK: Survival Evolved
    • Absolver
    • Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
    • Battle Chasers: Nightwar
    • Black Desert Online
    • Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
    • Borderlands 2
    • Borderlands: The Handsome Collection
    • Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
    • Children of Morta
    • Conan Exiles
    • Crackdown 3: Campaign
    • Darksiders III
    • Dead by Daylight
    • Dead Island: Definitive Edition
    • Devil May Cry 5
    • F1 2019
    • Fishing Sim World: Pro Tour
    • Forza Horizon 4
    • Gears 5
    • Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
    • Halo 5: Guardians
    • Halo Wars 2
    • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
    • Hello Neighbor
    • HITMAN
    • Just Cause 4
    • Killer Instinct
    • Madden NFL 20
    • Mark of the Ninja: Remastered
    • Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden
    • Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
    • Overcooked
    • Puyo Puyo Champions
    • RAD
    • ReCore: Definitive Edition
    • SOULCALIBUR VI
    • Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
    • Sniper Elite 4
    • Sea of Thieves
    • State of Decay 2
    • Subnautica
    • Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
    • Tekken 7
    • TERA
    • The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut
    • theHunter: Call of the Wild
    • Vampyr
    • Warhammer: Vermintide 2
    • West of Dead (BETA)
    • World of Final Fantasy Maxima
    • World of Tanks: Mercenaries
    • World of Warships: Legends
    • World War Z
    • WRC 7 FIA World Rally Championship
    • Wreckfest
    • WWE 2K20
    • Yoku's Island Express

There's more than a few--SC6, AC7, Tekken 7, Tales of Vesperia--that I did not expect. I may just be ill informed. I'll leave it to the better educated to say how that weighs next to Staadia's current lineup.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I'd settle for the ability to use a custom wallpaper without added compression artifacts. Come on, Xbox! It's not that big! It's a JPEG!

I just take sick Destiny screenshots and use them for my wallpaper

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    F1 2019 is a bold enough statement on its own when you're talking a platform with inherent latency.

Jazz on
  • Options

I just take sick Destiny screenshots and use them for my wallpaper

Ironically, I suspect it doesn't apply the same compression formula--or it does a better job of it--for screenshots that originated on your console. I should check to see if anythings changed in this update, I had a very nice Ayane wallpaper against a night sky that got compressed.

• Options
    New dashboard - well, that's a LOT of games I've had to delete from my main Pins group to make the icons not-miniscule. Not an improvement, Microsoft.

• Options
    New dashboard - well, that's a LOT of games I've had to delete from my main Pins group to make the icons not-miniscule. Not an improvement, Microsoft.

Okay, that would confirm my questions about the roll-out. Guess it was just in the testing phase the last time.

So, by the sounds of it you had a lot of shortcuts, and the tiles are smaller now in the new layout? I've only ever had six so technically they're bigger (exclusive media shortcuts).

• Options

Okay, that would confirm my questions about the roll-out. Guess it was just in the testing phase the last time.

So, by the sounds of it you had a lot of shortcuts, and the tiles are smaller now in the new layout? I've only ever had six so technically they're bigger (exclusive media shortcuts).

I had I think it was 28 or so in my main group. 7 of which were app shortcuts, mostly for media, so 21 games. Had to take out 7 or so of them (I wasn't actually counting but the math would work if the 28 was right) to make the icons get back to even a legible size.

And then another group with 21 backwards compatible games.

• Options

I had I think it was 28 or so in my main group. 7 of which were app shortcuts, mostly for media, so 21 games. Had to take out 7 or so of them (I wasn't actually counting but the math would work if the 28 was right) to make the icons get back to even a legible size.

Yeah, if they're doing autoscaling, there's going to be a practical limit, especially at 1080p. Even on a giant screen they're going to kind of look terrible.

• Options
    edited December 2019

Yeah, if they're doing autoscaling, there's going to be a practical limit, especially at 1080p. Even on a giant screen they're going to kind of look terrible.

It's specific levels of scaling, I think.

The practical limit before was what I pushed it to, 28. As many as I could fit; three rows of games, one of apps, seven on each row, and I swapped out the games depending on what was installed and/or being played (arranged alphabetically too because that's how I roll.) Any more than 28 and they went ridiculously tiny. Now it's anything over 21 and they're tiny.

And I'm at 720p so the effect is even worse! :lol:

Edit: actually, maybe it was 32 instead of 28. I think. Yeah, I deleted an app as well to make one row just apps still so it had to be 32. D'oh! Also, even worse going from 32 to 21.

From Hell's heart I waggle my finger disapprovingly at thee, Redmond.

Jazz on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

q8smji52d0uo.png

The community manager probably has the right of it, tbh
    Plenty of people assume they understand the development process and financial decisions developers make, and make assumptions and weave narratives almost always based off no actual experience in the matter

These people aren't suddenly going to realise how stupid they sound if no-one engages with them

• Options

Really? I thought I read in the promo material it was coming to Xbox Game Pass as well as PC! Hmm, perhaps I misunderstood the language. :lol:

On the other topic...get another Surface Pro. You know you want that ultra-high portability. One of us. ONE OF US.

I've had a Surface Pro since the first gen. Though my Surface Pro (2017) won't be able to play it either. I'd be buying a Surface Pro 7.

• Options
    edited December 2019

I've had a Surface Pro since the first gen. Though my Surface Pro (2017) won't be able to play it either. I'd be buying a Surface Pro 7.

Yeah, I should've been saying stay one of us. It's not like Surface Pros are uncommon nowadays either. I see more of them than iPad Pros.
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    For anyone who was wondering, yes, Vambrace is hard as fuck.

I gave up on it after 4 hours or so - I couldn’t get past the first 5 exploration zones to get to the boss.

My team were always exhausted by the fifth area, and just got worn down.

I managed to craft some armour and other items, which helped, but every time I had a good run of the first few areas, I would inevitably trigger a bunch of traps, or have a lot of fights in a row, and just get whittled down to ineffectiveness.

I really with the main character got xp for fights, so you can at least grind for a bit, but I assume you only get xp for completing quests.

It’s a shame, but I appreciate it being on Gamepass, as I got to try a game type I normally don’t bother with (rogue-likes).

I might give it another try, when I’m feeling masochist.

So, on this topic, the trick seems to be:

1) Grind repeatedly (leave mid-chapter) to amass loot to craft better gear (and for the love of god, if you think someone's going to die, take it off them, because their corpse is off limits).

2) Get the right class companions. Since the game gives you zero indication of what those are, they seem to be Fusiliers (dwarven musketmen), Celestine/Hedge Mages (floating elf ladies), and a Shadowmancer (....some kind of drow....demon....hunter...looking?). Avoid the all-arounders, especially in the combat roles, since you really only need one person with high awareness or one person whose good at opening things (and if your party loses someone, you're basically fucked anyway).

3) Have at least one of each status effect curing item handy. Eventually, their absurd price will seem fairly minor (on account of all the grinding and selling crap) that you'll just buy one every time you're at a merchant. Because sooner or later, you're going to hit by a trap, and even if you don't, one of those bullshit chance events is going to break someone's legs and you'll need a splint.

It's extremely telling that the game has ~20 achievements, and the first five, which are tutorial related are common enough, but every other one--including story progression achievements chapter 2 and onwards--is rare.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

I’d settle for a not convoluted way to upload custom wallpaper. OneDrive is right there and I can’t use it to upload pictures to use as a background.

• Options

Christ, man, you've broken the back of "now" with that. At the very least "In the future" would've established you were discounting the first game in a discussion of the first game. Now it was coming to the Xbox again.

Whatever, that's just like your opinion, man. :razz:

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

I’d settle for a not convoluted way to upload custom wallpaper. OneDrive is right there and I can’t use it to upload pictures to use as a background.

I quit using my own pics for background back when the 360 still had 'blades'. It never, ever looked good nor fit the layout well. And I never really bothered with themes because MS couldn't be arsed to give us a proper preview to see if it looked any good or not.

I rotate between a few 360 themes that don't look like shit and were free. One of them even came with the console. I care more about my phone's background and even then I still don't do anything with it.

• Options

Whatever, that's just like your opinion, man. :razz:

We're all about opinions here, man. "The Wii U never happened." That sort of stuff. :razz:
    LostNinja wrote: »

DLNA media server works. Not that it's a great method either.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    So there is a method to Bayonetta's madness.

Sega owns the IP for Bayonetta, and publishing rights for the first game. Nintendo owns publishing rights for games 2 and 3, and made a deal with Sega for exclusivity with those games. That makes Bayonetta pretty close to something like Sonic Lost World or (gulp) Rise of Lyric, Sega can have Nintendo exclusive entries and still deploy the franchise elsewhere in the future. (Although its a little stranger when your franchise is numbered sequels across multiple platforms.)

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

I think SEGA owns the brand, hence their continued involvement.

As for re-releases of Bayonetta 1 on other platforms, I'll bet Nintendo loves the idea -- it's basically free advertising for their platform and its semi-exclusive sequels.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!